PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Threads

Alonzo-ny
June 24th, 2009, 05:25 PM
It seems a few of these dont need to be sticky. The WTC map sticky in NY skyscrapers and architecture for example, why is it a sticky?

Merry
June 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM
I agree. If they're visited often and kept current then fine I suppose, but otherwise they just cause visual clutter on the thread list.

Anything that is topical/popular will remain at or close to the top of the thread list anyway.

If threads are well named and tagging is good, users should generally be able to find them easily via the search function otherwise.

There doesn't seem to be a clear pattern to what is made sticky, other than perhaps, in some cases, topics for reference/advice??? Maybe disseminate this kind of information differently if need be???

As for the current sticky threads:

Landmark Preservation: Petitions to save historic buildings doesn't seem to have been viewed for a while either.

Similarly on New York Real Estate:

How to pass the co-op board -- application and interview
List of rental buildings in NYC
Assemblages, Building Prospects, Back Burner and Visions
Prices and floor plans on condo sales in Manhattan

Ninjahedge
June 29th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Merry, viewed or posted to?

The one thing we have to keep in mind if we ask to bring down a sticky is whether or not other people have found it as a useful reference. The whole point of making it sticky is that it may NOT be posted to and therefore will sink down the list into oblivion (or just past the first few pages where no-one really browses anymore).

I am not calling for any of the threads mentioned to stay put, just trying to make sure no-one (especially those that may not post as much, or at all here) do not get the short end of the stick....

Edward
June 29th, 2009, 12:50 PM
"List of rental buildings" is the third most viewed thread on this forum.

Merry
June 30th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Merry, viewed or posted to?

The one thing we have to keep in mind if we ask to bring down a sticky is whether or not other people have found it as a useful reference. The whole point of making it sticky is that it may NOT be posted to and therefore will sink down the list into oblivion (or just past the first few pages where no-one really browses anymore).

Dang, didn't think of it that way :rolleyes: :o. Good point.

I still think they get in the way a bit ;). Maybe a sub-forum of their own under perhaps Questions and Answers??