PDA

View Full Version : Ignored.

Ninjahedge
July 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I have to ask the vB guys about this, but before I do, I figured i would ask here anyway...

Is there any way, in the admin, to make it so that when you ignore a person, you do not see any threads they have bumped last?

I know that you will not see their posts, but I would like to know a post has been updated, and have it at the top of my list, ONLY when someone other than someone I am ignoring posted to it!

It is dissapointing to look at a thread or a subsection and go "goodie, something new" only to find that it is only new from someone you do not want to read... :(

TIA!

stache
July 16th, 2009, 02:57 PM
I don't think so, but maybe someone knows some special tricks.

kz1000ps
July 16th, 2009, 03:07 PM
It is dissapointing to look at a thread or a subsection and go "goodie, something new" only to find that it is only new from someone you do not want to read... :(

Yep. And once I see they've posted, curiosity gets the better of me and I must know what gem they've laid upon the interwebs this time.

If I didn't know they posted at all, then my curiosity wouldn't be piqued at all.

BrooklynRider
July 18th, 2009, 01:13 AM
You're not looking to ignore them as much as wipe them out of your virtual universe. I don't this can do what you ask.

So, who's getting to you? Maybe if no one else likes him/her, we can all ignore the person with you.

If you don't respond to this, I know you're ignorong me.

Merry
July 18th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Participating in a virtual community has the same pitfalls as our physical community - some people we like, others we don't. At least here, there is some (trouble-free, instant and potentially permanent) way of ignoring those that get up your nose, even if, as kz1000ps said, doing so achieves the opposite. I've had exactly the same problem :rolleyes:.

PS: Surely no one would ever have reason to ignore you, BR :).

kz1000ps
July 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
If you don't respond to this, I know you're ignorong me.

LOL.

No need to name names since it won't accomplish anything. The only thing they're guilty of is astounding stupidity, and unfortunately that isn't grounds for being banned.

But if you really must know who, you could easily figure it out by reviewing my recent post history ;)

NoyokA
July 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
But you often respond, albeit in dismay to said poster.

stache
July 19th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Vbulletin does not allow Mods to be put on /ignore.

lofter1
July 19th, 2009, 10:32 AM
What? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9_g04TyRyw)

Ninjahedge
July 20th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Vbulletin does not allow Mods to be put on /ignore.

The theory is that mods should not be posting anything that needs to be ignored!!! ;)

Anyway, I am not going to call out names. That would be pointless and have no other result than a whole flame-thread starting. I am not asking for banning, since there are som ethat may want to listen to what he or she would like to say, but for SOME of us, we would like to see no more than a little name and a checkbox in our control panel saying "XXX" is ignored......

ZippyTheChimp
July 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
The theory is that the mods have to read all the tedium.

And what's the big deal with ignoring people. Oh boo-hoo. Just ignore them.

Soon enough you'll have to try to ignore a cranky three year old. Compared to that, this is, well, child's play.

Ninjahedge
July 20th, 2009, 01:57 PM
The theory is that the mods have to read all the tedium.

And what's the big deal with ignoring people. Oh boo-hoo. Just ignore them.

Soon enough you'll have to try to ignore a cranky three year old. Compared to that, this is, well, child's play.

Actually, a semi-spoiled 7 month old and a mommy that breast feeds is enough for now (especially when she is not around and all he wants is bo....mommy.)

As for "boo-hoo" I am not crying. It is an annoyance, not a life threatening matter. Were it the latter I would not be posting it to a BBS, don't you know! ;) Just figured I would ask to see if it was possible, and if not what others felt about it. Like many VB "fetures", this would not be vital, but could be a selling point... so....

Alonzo-ny
July 20th, 2009, 02:48 PM
You would never be able to completely erase someone. Even if what you described were possible you would still see peoples responses to that person and people quoting that person, etc.

ZippyTheChimp
July 20th, 2009, 04:55 PM
If you use the ignore feature, you risk filtering out some hilarity (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3431&page=56).

Ninjahedge
July 20th, 2009, 05:19 PM
You would never be able to completely erase someone. Even if what you described were possible you would still see peoples responses to that person and people quoting that person, etc.

I know! ;)

Quoting would be one thing I could never really control or completely ignore....

Well whatever. I can always dream.....

Alonzo-ny
July 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Looks like its good old will power for you ;) good luck!