PDA

View Full Version : Brownsville, Brooklyn

Tina-Marble
September 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in college and for my government class, we have to write a paper about residential segregation. Everyone has a partner and we have to visit our partner's neighborhood and decide whether their neighborhood is segregated by race or by income.

My partner lives in Brownsville and from what I read, it doesn't sound all too good. She lives near Sutter Avenue/Rutland Road.

I'm visiting her next Friday, but I'm still not all too comfortable about going to this neighborhood. Can anyone give me an honest account about this neighborhood? Thank you.

ZippyTheChimp
September 29th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The area is a hot spot for crime, but much of it is at the Tilden and Brownsville Houses. They are about half a mile further east on Sutter Ave.

I can't tell you anything about the particular location you are going, except it's right at the Sutter-Rutland station of the IRT #3.

Tina-Marble
September 29th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks.

Yeah it sounds pretty sketchy. I'm going to take a cab to and from her house anyway. I'm not risking anything.

Also I google-mapped her house. She doesn't seem to live in the Tilden houses. Her block looks like it's filled with two family houses.