PDA

View Full Version : Spamming

Taz
November 12th, 2009, 02:52 AM
Why all of a sudden is the entire forum being spammed by multiple phishers? It seems like this is happening every day, and now we have a nitwit spamming in Russian.

I'm wondering if maybe there's a way to set it so that posts by new members need to be approved before they appear on the forum, and if anything is spam the user can be deleted. I ran a forum a few years ago, so I have experience with this sort of thing. Just not sure if the admin here would do that.

This is getting crazy, though.

hbcat
November 12th, 2009, 04:38 AM
It is annoying. It's the middle of the night in NY, so only night owls and those of us in the other hemisphere (I am in the Far East) are here to police this stuff. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait for a moderator to log on. If you report spam as soon as you see it, it gets removed pretty quickly. I imagine you know this already...

Right now all the threads are loaded with the stuff.

Grrrrrrrrrr..... :mad:

hbcat
November 12th, 2009, 04:41 AM
P.S. One of the mods told me to report via the alert button up here ^^^^.

BrooklynRider
November 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Yes, hbcat is correct. Please click on the red triangle on the top right of any post to flag anything you find inappropriate (spam).

We are in the midst of a major spamming wave. Some of it comes via posts to threads or creation of new threads. Much more is coming in other forms.

Help us out by flagging these posts.

Thanks.

hbcat
November 12th, 2009, 09:14 AM
^^^ That's the friendly neighborhood moderator who alerted me to the little triangle button thingy.

Taz
November 12th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Ah, there we go. I must've completed missed the flag button. My forum didn't have that (I used an old PhPbb client, not sure what version this forum is) but now that I'm aware of it, I'll start using it.

For some reason I'm awake at ungodly hours to see this crap. Wish I could do more than report it, but maybe one day.

BrooklynRider
November 12th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Thankfully, we have Alonzo in Scotland trying to keep the forum clean while we're all sleeping.

Alonzo-ny
November 12th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Breakfast with spam, I always look forward to it ;)

Ninjahedge
November 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Breakfast with spam, I always look forward to it ;)

Baked beans were off?

hbcat
November 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Breakfast with Spam (AKA, haggis) --

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/12/c2/a8/scottish-haggis-black.jpg