PDA

View Full Version : The Yankees

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

JCMAN320
September 28th, 2009, 04:53 PM
The odds are in the Yanks favor if you look at the amount of wins they have. In the only 5 previous times the Yanks won 100 games or more in a season, they won the WS each of those years.

I would love for the road to the WS to go through Fenway during the ALCS. It'll be fitting to beat them in the ALCS given what happened the last time we played them in 2004 in the ALCS. Put that monster the bed lol.

NYatKNIGHT
September 29th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think many Yankee fans would boo Joe Torre, though A-Rod may snarl, but facing Joe in the WS would be wild.

antinimby
September 29th, 2009, 12:36 PM
^ They might not have booed him, but didn't the fans at the Stadium chanted, "Joe must go, Joe must go" a couple of years ago?

In the only 5 previous times the Yanks won 100 games or more in a season, they won the WS each of those years.That is incorrect. The Yankees have won 100+ games more than 5 times. They won 101 in both 2003 and 2004. We all know what happened to them in those years and wasn't winning the WS.

They won 103 games in 2002 and was again eliminated from the playoffs. It's all right here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Yankees_season_records).

Having the best record, home field advantage throughout, better season records against playoff opponents, etc. means nothing in the post season.

After these last 9 years, Yankee fans of all people should know that very well.

JCMAN320
September 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
My bad antinimby your right I read the info wrong. Still though this team is very good it reminds me of the early 90s teams. I've been following this team all my life and beside the bad info I read I am very knowledgeable about the full Yankees history.

ZippyTheChimp
September 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Same old Kyle Farnsworth.

LOL

JCMAN320
September 30th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Lol Zip I loved it!!!

antinimby
October 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Okay, I'm going to start the predictions:

Yankees in 4 over the Twins.

ZippyTheChimp
October 7th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Yanks in 3.

Detroit would have been a little tougher. Twins don't have that one dominant starter like Verlander. I thought maybe it would be better to play a team that limped into the playoffs with distractions (M Cabrera), rather than a hot team like the Twins.

But although TV commentators have made much of the Twins record over the last five weeks, it doesn't look so impressive when you consider who they played:

at CLE
at TOR
OAK
CLE
DET
at CHG
at KC
at DET
KC

The only team they played with a winning record was DET, and it turned out 4-3. The others were a combined . 443, and 2 of them, KC and CLE, lost 97 games. In a must-win game against KC last weekend, the Twins had a 10-0 lead, and hung on to win 10-7. They rank 23rd in team ERA.

The 3 batters the Yanks will have to worry about are Mauer, Cuddyer, and Kubel. The rest of the lineup is weak.

The playoff game last night couldn't have been scripted better for the Yanks. Besides the extra innings and late flight to New York, Twins had to pitch their best starter, Scott Baker, who won't be available until the 3rd game. Reliever Brian Duensing (4 ER in 2 innings vs Yanks earlier this year) will start against Sabathia.

The wrinkle for the Yanks is the Burnett-Posada thing, which could become a major issue if Burnett doesn't pitch well on Friday.

Don't buy all the hype about pressure in the post-season. Those Yank teams lost because they went in with weaker pitching, and were out-pitched. Twins are going to need offense to win.

Don't bet the mortgage/rent money. I've been wrong before.

JCMAN320
October 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM
Comeback leaves New York buzzing
Fans express joy for A-Rod, an embattled playoff veteran

By Brittany Ghiroli / Special to MLB.com

10/10/09 3:40 PM ET

NEW YORK -- A.J. Burnett, Friday's Yankees starter against the Twins for Game 2 of the American League Division Series, was icing his arm when the walls around him started to shake, the result of the sellout crowd of 50,006 at the new Yankee Stadium jumping in celebratory glee.

The largest turnout in the short history of the new Stadium, Friday's boisterous crowd not only clued in walk-off hero Mark Teixeira of his fateful 11th-inning homer -- which he initially thought was a double -- the legions of Bronx faithful proved captain Derek Jeter right.

"It's the fans that make it what it is," Jeter said when asked about the postseason home-field advantage of his team's new $1.5 billion ballpark.

And on Saturday morning, it was those same fans who flooded radio phone lines and shared the sports sections of the local papers on subways and in taxicabs. Many fans called to proclaim their unbending allegiance and discuss the plethora of "Can you believe it?" moments still fresh in the minds of millions following the Yankees' 4-3 win in 11 innings.

"Extra Special" read the front page of the New York Daily News, with a picture of Teixeira hugging Friday's other hero, Alex Rodriguez. Despite putting together All-Star seasons as a Yankee from 2004-08, A-Rod had endured playoff struggles in those seasons -- a sore subject among Yankees fans, who demanded more from baseball's highest-paid player.

"I'm just finally glad he got the monkey off his back," said longtime Yankees fan Tim May after watching Rodriguez go 2-for-4 with a game-tying two-run homer in the ninth inning. "Because once it's off, it's off for good. And personally, he's been tortured [in the media] and living in Jeter's shadow. I'm really happy for him."

A Columbus, Ohio, native, May flew across the country in 1996 to see the Yankees win the World Series, and he's confident that this year's team will also be worth the plane fare.

"The last couple of years, I think you almost took it for granted that the Yankees would be [in the playoffs]," May said. "But this year's team feels different -- when they won the [American League East], just watching them celebrate like they were kids winning their high school championship, and [Friday night], with the pies in their face. It's a new feeling with the mix of veterans and younger guys. It feels like it did in '96 again."

"It's back to the norm," said John Alvarez of Brick, N.J. "[Missing the playoffs] last year was just like, 'Wow -- what's this about?' And now, with these games, it feels like everybody's talking about it. It's the talk of the town. It's what you expect from the Yankees."

Alvarez, who went to Game 1 on Wednesday -- a 7-2 Yankees win -- with his friend Steven Moody, said that the first postseason at the new Yankee Stadium has already become one for the ages.

"It's something I'm going to tell my grandkids about," Alvarez said.

The sense of Yankees pride was commonplace in the entire city, as the streets were littered with people, both young and old, sporting shiny new postseason garb. With T-shirt slogans ranging from a World Series mantra of "Number 27" to "You've been Teix-ecuted" -- an ode to Teixiera -- the pulse of the city was all about the Bombers, with Yankees blue setting the tone.

"My heart can't take all of this excitement," said 90-year-old Barbara Standish, who woke up her neighbors with her late-night cheering during Friday's win.

"I've seen some great times, but this -- this is truly something special," said the lifelong Bronx resident. "And I couldn't be happier for A-Rod. It just feels like everything is coming full circle."

It was a sentiment echoed everywhere, as "The City that Never Sleeps" found its residents in a dream-like state and one win away from a trip to the AL Championship Series against either the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim or the Boston Red Sox.

A commenter known as Mickeyd7 summed it up perfectly with a toast written in the Yankees' official fan forum:

"Here's to a proud organization for certain, a class organization for sure, a good solid profitable organization, one our fans support whether we sit in the bleacher seats, box seats, corporate suites [or] owner's suite," read the online post. "We all are so proud today -- tears of joy run down our collective faces, dripping with pleasure. Celebration is happening throughout the Yankees Universe.

"To the players, never have I've been more proud of a team than this team. To us fans, walk with your heads up today. Walk tall, proud Yankees fans -- I hope this team goes all the way!"

JCMAN320
October 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Ballgame over!!!! American League Division Series Over!!!! Yankees Win...Thhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeee YANKESS WIN!!!!!!

Construction worker buries David Ortiz's jersey in new Yankee Stadium.......Papi slumps for the season and then admits his steroid use at the new Stadium, Yanks wind up owning the Sox second half of the season and the Sox get swept out of the postseason. Karmas a bitch Boston lol!

antinimby
October 16th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Yankees in 6 over the Angels.

Split the first two. Win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim and win the 6th game back in the Bronx.

NYatKNIGHT
October 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Win the 6th back in the Bronx, I agree, though I'm thinking they'll win the first two here and 1 out of 3 there. What shitty weather we're having for baseball, though the weather is crappy all over the country, it seems. And to stay on topic, the Red Sox suck!

antinimby
October 18th, 2009, 01:48 AM
Wow. What a game!

ARod is a stud this post season.

OmegaNYC
October 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
^^^^

Untill it comes down to actually closing out the series.

http://www.gambling911.com/A-Rod-Pink-Long-10.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
October 18th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Just woke up.

That's an altered photo, right?

lofter1
October 18th, 2009, 11:10 AM
5 hours + 10 Minutes (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/sports/baseball/18yankees.html?ref=baseball) :D

What was up with that "no out" call against the Angels' 2nd baseman / Cabrera in the tenth?

Cabrera had reached first on a bloop single knocked down by the wind, and taken second when Aybar failed to tag second while trying to turn a double play. Umpires often ignore such infractions — the so-called neighborhood play — and Jerry Layne made a bold call. But the Yankees could not capitalize.

ZippyTheChimp
October 18th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Untill it comes down to actually closing out the series.Met fans shouldn't be talking about third basemen.

http://nyc.3432.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dw2.bmp http://majorleaguejerk.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/657284-gazoo_large.jpg

OmegaNYC
October 18th, 2009, 02:05 PM
^^^

Lol. Bad thing is, I hear those helmets will be standard for everyone in a few seasons.

ZippyTheChimp
October 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I'm glad that, unlike the other three places, there's no white towel waving at YS.

It looks so retarded.

TREPYE
October 19th, 2009, 03:27 PM
I happen to think that those towels make the palce look very much alive and rowdy. Gives the backdrop an aspect of dynamism through visual movement.

Maybe if yankee fans tilted their snouts down a little bit they would notice too... :rolleyes:

ZippyTheChimp
October 19th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Go try it out among the bleacher creatures. You'll see lots of dynamism and visual movement.

NYatKNIGHT
October 19th, 2009, 03:48 PM
If the crowd is sufficiently loud, animated and involved they don't need contrived gimmicks to make it look alive and rowdy.

OmegaNYC
October 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Fans need to be more original.

Only these guys have the right to wave a towel:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e7/Pittsburgh_Steeler_fans_15_Oct_2006.jpg/800px-Pittsburgh_Steeler_fans_15_Oct_2006.jpg

TREPYE
October 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM
This is true. Teams should encourange signature chants (i.e.-j!e!t!s! jets! jets! jets!) or gadgets (i.e terrible towels, rally monkeys) during games.

Its annoying sometimes hearing the ultra generic:

"lets--go--yan-kees"(or any other 2 syllable team name).
Very unorignial

One of the cool things about going to soccer games is that each team has its own signature chant.

Well, except in Yankee Stadium; where the claping and the yelling is more meaningful and distinct than any other stadium cuz even thought it sounds the same as everywhere else in the world it is the all-royalty, magnificence and dignitaries of fandom doing it; the precious yankee fan. :rolleyes: <belch!>...get a grip yankee fans.

antinimby
October 19th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Pulling Robertson for Aceves.

Girardi = BONEHEAD. :mad:

Also, watch the CC-on-short-rest move backfire.

ZippyTheChimp
October 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Girardi did the same thing in game 2. It's like he's trying to build a resume - look at the moves I make. A-Rod got him off the hook in that game. Not so tonight.

He over-managed. Maybe he learned something.

ZippyTheChimp
October 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM
get a grip yankee fans.Met fans can practice their chants on the golf course. That's where the Met players hang out in October.

TREPYE
October 19th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Aww Zip did I (along with the Angels comeback win against your beloved in game 3) inadventently make the Yankee cap you display so proudly on your avatar a little heavier on your head?? I was just trying to appreciate the sage advise from yankeeland....

I'm glad that, unlike the other three places, there's no white towel waving at YS.

It looks so retarded.

Ahhh yes, :D Yankee fans....The Unretarded :cool:

ZippyTheChimp
October 19th, 2009, 11:46 PM
Yankee fans....still watching baseball.

Met fans...hanging around the Yankee thread, trying to be relevant.

TREPYE
October 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hey wait a minute here...this relevance you speak of is diversion enough thats pull you away from a playoff game in order to defend the galant yet delicate Yankee Prride.

ZippyTheChimp
October 20th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Look at the time. The game was over. What are you being pulled away from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_Channel)?

Its annoying sometimes hearing the ultra generic:

"lets--go--yan-kees"That generic chant was begun by Met fans, way back in the 60s.

For originality, the two-out, two strike, standing clap that all fans use now was begun at Yankee Stadium during a Ron Guidry game.

For spontaneity, what beats the Paul O'Neill chant when he went to right field for the last time during the World Series.

Only the Mets would schedule a ceremony closing Shea Stadium AFTER playing the last game, not thinking that they might lose the game and get knocked out of the playoffs - which they did. Season's over; let's party.

The Mets have given us a song, but only a loser organization would make the first word rhyme with beat.

Beat the Mets.

Beat the Mets.

Come on out and beat the Mets.

I think Met fans tried the towel wave once, but the players thought they were bandages, got scared and ran into the dugout.

After a lifetime of debates with worthy Red Sox fans, this is just too easy. :p

OmegaNYC
October 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
^^^^

Yanks still suck.

sfenn1117
October 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Mets bitterness aside, the micro-managing done by Girardi finally came back to bite him in the ass. What an unnecessary and unfounded move to put in Aceves. Zip is right- he's hoping these groundless decisions somehow make him look like a genuis.

I've been complaining since game 1 of the ALDS, when he used Joba/Hughes/Mo in a 7-2 game. Then game 3 when he pulled a masterful Pettitte after 81 pitches to use the heralded three in the pen. ALCS Game 2 blowing thru the pen (Yankees used 8 pitchers, Angels 4). Today he didn't get away with it.

Still, Kazmir (Victor Zambrano anyone?) is having an off season, and struggled in the ALDS against the Sox, a team he has historically dominated. I think the Yanks will take one of the remaining 2 in Anaheim and win game 6 at home.

TREPYE
October 20th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Look at the time. The game was over. What are you being pulled away from (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golf_Channel)?

That generic chant was begun by Met fans, way back in the 60s.

For originality, the two-out, two strike, standing clap that all fans use now was begun at Yankee Stadium during a Ron Guidry game.

For spontaneity, what beats the Paul O'Neill chant when he went to right field for the last time during the World Series.

Only the Mets would schedule a ceremony closing Shea Stadium AFTER playing the last game, not thinking that they might lose the game and get knocked out of the playoffs - which they did. Season's over; let's party.

The Mets have given us a song, but only a loser organization would make the first word rhyme with beat.

Beat the Mets.

Beat the Mets.

Come on out and beat the Mets.

I think Met fans tried the towel wave once, but the players thought they were bandages, got scared and ran into the dugout.

After a lifetime of debates with worthy Red Sox fans, this is just too easy. :p
LOL

Its funny how I did not even bring up the Mets yet you assume I speak from a met fan standpoint. It really is comic relief for me see the Yankee Fan so defiantly defend their pinstriped when ever someone dares to call them out on their pathological superiority complex. I can just envision Zippythechimp's reaction when he reads these anti Yankee posts.....thank god for the internet I dont have to describe it I'll just post a link of it (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/477532/going_crazy/">Going/). Hmmm....Im suprized the computer still worked well enough for him to post his responses.

I know ur prob a bit emotional and perturbed about Girardi's overmanaging, and the gutsy and gritty Angels coming from behind and winning game 3; but rest assured that the series is going to come back to the Bronx's very own Junkie stadium.

ZippyTheChimp
October 20th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Its funny how I did not even bring up the Mets yet you assume I speak from a met fan standpoint.So I'm wrong? From what standpoint are you speaking - Red Sox fan, other team, the generic baseball fan, or just a non sports fan who just happened on this thread?

LOL. I know a frustrated Mets fan when I see one.

It really is comic relief for me see the Yankee Fan so defiantly defend their pinstriped when ever someone dares to call them out on their pathological superiority complex.Actually, I was defending the tiresome attack, not on the Yankees, which is cool [notice Omega's posts were accepted in that spirt]; but on Yankee fans:

Maybe if yankee fans tilted their snouts down a little bit they would notice too...

Yes Trepye, we're a group with many character flaws, but give us a break. All we're trying to do is enjoy some autumn baseball, something I guess you have little experience with.

This preoccupation with Yankee fans by Met fans is really ridiculous. Look Trepye, the Phillies are 3-1, on the verge of a return trip to the World Series. I know that most Yankee fans would "see red" if the Red Sox were on the verge of a repeat. It's starting to look like the only thing standing in the way of further humiliation of Mets fans by the Phillies first visit to Citifield flashing their second set of rings is the Yankees. If you want to root, we'll be easy to spot; don't look for white towels.

Getting back to your quote in entirety:
I happen to think that those towels make the palce look very much alive and rowdy. Gives the backdrop an aspect of dynamism through visual movement.

Maybe if yankee fans tilted their snouts down a little bit they would notice too...I admit I haven't seen all the games at Citifield, but of those I have seen, I didn't notice any towel waving. So exactly in which direction is your snout pointed.

Leave this thread to the people who know baseball.

Take this (http://www.hkwellborn.com/IMPACT/IMPACT%20FLOOR%20CARE%28mop,handle,brush%29/4/FEATHER%20DUSTER%204630.JPG) and go here (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4956&page=4). Do a little housecleaning till next spring.

TREPYE
October 20th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Im not dismissing other fans choice of experssing their fandom as "retarded" which you have done. That is what propagated my replies to your posts, and nothing to do with the Mets. I know that the organization of the team I root for is so lost that they could not even think of stamping their new stadium with more Mets signage and mementos. Yeah im licking my wounds from a sickeningly disappointing season of countless injuries, missed bases, dropped shallow infield popups, gutless players and a public-relation-challenged general manager; but I am not making comments to compensate for my teams well publisized organizational ineptitude but rather how arrogant yankee fans come up at times, and the comic relief I that I get when they defiantly reply to their indignity of being called out on their own imperfections. you guys set the stage for that. ;)

With regard to the towels, I certainly dont thumb my nose up at the way other teams root for their teams, the one thing that I have said is that I wish that most teams would be more original in this and not use generics that everybody else uses. In fact I commend the Angels fans for the rally monkey as it pertains to only them.

ZippyTheChimp
October 20th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I've been complaining since game 1 of the ALDS, when he used Joba/Hughes/Mo in a 7-2 game. Then game 3 when he pulled a masterful Pettitte after 81 pitches to use the heralded three in the pen. ALCS Game 2 blowing thru the pen (Yankees used 8 pitchers, Angels 4). Today he didn't get away with it.Saw a little bit of Girardi answering questions from the press.

He looked a little squirmy when asked about pulling Robertson after two batters. His non-answer was a little silly, saying that revealing the exact reasons would give away strategy. Give me a break. You take out a righty who's pitching well for another righty, with the score tied and no one on base - it only means one thing: you're going strictly by the charts.

That works well over the course of a season, where stats come into play. It may not work in a particular game, but it may work 60% of the time, and that gets you into the playoffs.

Playoffs are different. You can't throw away games. There's always a risk when you bring in a reliever. They don't have an inning or two to work out mechanics, like a starter. They have to get it done right now.

Robertson was pitching well. Aceves has pitched well during the season, but he was sitting in the bullpen. You don't know what you're going to get until he starts to pitch.

Looks like A-Rod may not be getting too many pitches to hit the rest of the playoffs. Posado moved up to the 5 spot, Matsui to 6. Tex and Posada are going to have to provide cover.

ZippyTheChimp
October 20th, 2009, 11:39 PM
CC keeps the nitpicking manager in the dugout.

JCMAN320
October 21st, 2009, 01:35 AM
6 down 5 to go till Mission 27!!!!

Mets fans are screwed Yanks and Phils World Series!!

OmegaNYC
October 21st, 2009, 01:40 AM
^^^

Watch what you wish for. If I were a Yanks fan, I would want to see the Dodgers or at least seem the, push it to a game 7. Trust me, the Phils can be dangerous.

JCMAN320
October 21st, 2009, 01:43 AM
I know the Phils are very tough but I have all the confidence in the world in this Yankee team. I feel that we can win but it will be tough. Both LA teams I feel are screwed.

NYatKNIGHT
October 21st, 2009, 10:38 AM
The umps should be replaced by robots.

JCMAN320
October 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
Lol two runners tagged neither are on base but only one is out?!?! What???

sfenn1117
October 21st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Some of the most terrible calls I've seen of late. Swisher clearly out on the pickoff move....so they do a make-up call and say he tagged too early. I was actually okay with that. Cano's bone head move on the otherhand, I don't even know what to say. Close calls I can understand going one way or the other, but to miss something so blatant is hard to explain.

Glad to see the bats woke up though!! You have to be confident to win just one game with Burnett, Pettitte, and CC starting the next 3 (if need be). I knew the Yanks would rough up Kazmir...he's having an off year.

JCMAN320
October 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
The Phillies are National League Champs so it looks like, if my Yanks can close the deal Thursday night, it will be a NJ Turnpike World Series.

lofter1
October 22nd, 2009, 12:41 AM
Hope so ^ That result will make Fox cry a bit (regional Series have much worse ratings).

NoyokA
October 22nd, 2009, 07:31 AM
Four of my roomates work at Fenway Park (for Aramark doing food service), and it's funny (and quite telling) how they haven't said a SINGLE word about any of the games this weekend. Poor guys.

Damn. How many roommates do you have?

hbcat
October 24th, 2009, 03:49 AM
Yankees in Six. CC!!!!

ZippyTheChimp
October 24th, 2009, 12:23 PM
You should hope we don't see CC in this series.

kz1000ps
October 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Damn. How many roommates do you have?

Eight bedrooms, eight guys. Technically it's a duplex, but we're all friends and we split the rent and share both apartments' common areas equally.

lofter1
October 24th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Rain, rain go away ... :(

OmegaNYC
October 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Well, Game 6 is rained out.

ZippyTheChimp
October 25th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Two TVs tomorrow night.

OmegaNYC
October 25th, 2009, 12:44 AM
It is so silly of the MLB, to put this play-off game on, while the Giants are playing.

JCMAN320
October 25th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I'll be at the Giants game tomorrow night. I hope they give updates during the game. I'll check on the phone occasionally.

meesalikeu
October 25th, 2009, 07:06 PM
well there was a decent likelyhood one of the two nyc teams could have been on mnf too so whats the difference? i dont think mlb baseball should bend to the nfl schedule.

besides, i think its fun to be at one game watching it and another one anyway you can. i went to a minor league baseball game in cleveland this summer and we were watching the browns nfl preseason game on a side screen at the ballpark at the same time. the stadium announcer gave updates too and people would cheer. i hurt my neck looking back and forth, but it was fun!

OmegaNYC
October 25th, 2009, 08:12 PM
well there was a decent likelyhood one of the two nyc teams could have been on mnf too so whats the difference?

Besides the annoyance of flippling between an LCS and a Giants game, MLB, could run the risk of having lower ratings in this area because of another game being simultaneously broadcast at the same time. It is a beautiful Sunday in New York, the ALCS, could of very well been a day or afternoon game. Sadly, baseball never thinks like that. :(

meesalikeu
October 25th, 2009, 10:55 PM
well, thats common fan sense sure, but mlb will never thinbk like that if it wants the ratings.

antinimby
October 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM

Split the first two. Win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim and win the 6th game back in the Bronx.Glad I was right. Let's hope I'm right again:

Yankees in 7 over Phillies.

OmegaNYC
October 26th, 2009, 12:28 AM
^^^

I think you're right; this is going to be a long, hard WS. Congrats to the Yanks and their fans. It must be nice to go to the WS, lol.

JCMAN320
October 26th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Bro it's beautiful.

Even though the Giants suffered a heartbreaking loss the Yankees win made it bearable. They kept announcing the Yankee score and showing clips from the game on the monitors and video board over the course of the game. Guys in front of me had radio connected headphones giving me updates, people would check their phones and yell the score out in the stands to cheers, and occasionally the stands would loudly fill with chants of "Let's Go Yankees"!!!! Many people in Gaints and Yankees jerseys and hats.

Probably the most remarkable monent came when the Giants scored their first touchdown of the game to take the lead and at that exact same moment the Yanks scored two runs to take the lead in their game. People started chanting "Let's Go Yankees"...."Let's Go Giants" back and forth; the Stadium was literally shaking; the whole place was up for grabs it was crazy!!

Getting on the train people started passing the word through the crowd that the Yankees won and are in the WS; people started cheering chanting and hugging and high fiving total strangers; it was amazing!!!!

ZippyTheChimp
October 26th, 2009, 11:08 AM
A lot was written about the "cloud" hanging over the Yanks, not getting through the playoffs in recent years.

Overlooked was that the Angels have their own demons. They've been the dominant team in the West division since they won the WS in 2002.

They were eliminated by the Red Sox in 2004; White Sox in 2005; Red Sox in 2007 and 2008. It seemed to come out in the way they played - errors and mental mistakes uncharacteristic of the regular season.

NYatKNIGHT
October 26th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Split the first two. Win 2 out of 3 in Anaheim and win the 6th game back in the Bronx.

Glad I was right. Let's hope I'm right again:

Ahem! I believe I was right:

Win the 6th back in the Bronx, I agree, though I'm thinking they'll win the first two here and 1 out of 3 there.

;)

So I think I'll stick with that formula for the WS.

antinimby
October 26th, 2009, 08:39 PM
^ The end result is what really counts.

hbcat
October 26th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Glad I was right. Let's hope I'm right again:

That was my call over the Angels too. LAA is too good to have been swept, but the Yankees are looking like the late 90s teams, and seem unstoppable.

I'm going to think big -- Yankees in Five this time.

ZippyTheChimp
October 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Tentative pitching matchup:

Wed: Sabathia..........Lee
Thu: Burnett............Martinez

Sat: Pettitte..............Hamels
Sun: Sabathia...........?

To matchup Lee with Sabathia in games 1, 4 and 7, Lee would have to pitch on 3 days rest, which he has never done. The decision on game 4 will probably depend on where the series stands at that point. If not Lee, then Blanton, with Lee starting Monday on normal rest.

Mon: ?.....................?

For the Yanks, Burnett could go on 3 days rest, which he has done, but not as often as Sabathia. If it is Burnett, look for Posada to catch. With no DH, Yanks won't leave him out of the lineup. If not Burnett, Gaudin.

For Phillies, either Lee or Blanton. If Lee, he won't be available for game 7.

Wed: ?..................Martinez

For Yanks, Burnett on long rest. If Burnett not available, an interesting decision. Pettitte on 3 days rest or Gaudin. Either one could back up the other in the bullpen. Pettitte has benefited from an extra days rest, so I would hold him in reserve for a 7th game.

Thu: Sabathia..........Hamels or Lee

hbcat
October 30th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Matsui!!!!

ZippyTheChimp
October 30th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Mariano

hbcat
October 30th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Yeah, Mariano... absolutely, always, Mariano.

hbcat
November 1st, 2009, 03:45 AM
Andy is a slugger. Yankees in Five.

OmegaNYC
November 1st, 2009, 04:05 AM
^^^ They're up 2-1, but I doubt they will reel 2 straight wins in a row. It is all about pitching right now. It looks as if the Yanks will start CC and Andy, on 3 days rest. I wonder how the Phills, will counter that?

hbcat
November 1st, 2009, 04:20 AM
^^^ I think it will be Blanton and then Lee again. You are probably right about NY not taking three straight in Philly, but what the heck -- I can dream, right? :D

If NY wins one more in Philadelphia, the Phillies will be in a world of trouble -- they'd have to win two in the Bronx against Andy and CC.

ZippyTheChimp
November 1st, 2009, 07:18 AM
Phillies rotation will be:

Blanton - Lee - Martinez - Hamels (Happ?)

Yanks will go with:

Sabathia - Burnett - Pettitte - Sabathia. All on three days rest.

If Yanks win tonight (Blanton has ERA of 8), I think they should pitch Gaudin on Monday. Lee at home in a must win game; it's their best chance of winning any of the final three. Yanks would be happy to get out of CBP with 2 wins.

Burnett is 4-0 in games with 3 days rest, but if he loses game 5, then the Yanks have to come back with Pettitte in game 6. He's 5-6 on 3 days rest. I would set it up to take it in 6 games with Burnett at home. Pettitte could back up either 6 or 7out of the bullpen.

ZippyTheChimp
November 1st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Funny how the biggest call of the night - the homer that hit the camera - had a lot of discussion from McCarver and Buck, except one obvious detail: Why was a camera set up over the outfield wall?

Since a replay was shown from that camera (only once though), it must have been a Fox camera. You'd think a one in a million shot like that would be replayed over and over. Wonder if someone called the booth and told them to shut up.

TV has become way too intrusive in sports. This is the first WS that was scheduled to end in November.

And sometimes TV screws itself. This weekend is usually the "second season" start of the NFL. No Sunday night game would be scheduled against the WS, and because the football stadium is right across Pattison St from CBP, they had to schedule Giants-Eagles at 1PM, same time as Jets-Dolphins.

hbcat
November 1st, 2009, 08:20 AM
Phillies rotation will be:

I think they should pitch Gaudin on Monday. Lee at home in a must win game; it's their best chance of winning any of the final three. Yanks would be happy to get out of CBP with 2 wins.

Burnett is 4-0 in games with 3 days rest, but if he loses game 5, then the Yanks have to come back with Pettitte in game 6. He's 5-6 on 3 days rest. I would set it up to take it in 6 games with Burnett at home. Pettitte could back up either 6 or 7out of the bullpen.

I am warming to this idea of pitching Gaudin instead of Burnett and then Pettite on short rest, in part for the reasons you state here, and in part because Gaudin has proven he can throw a good game. He's earned a shot, and the other pitchers will be ready to go if he doesn't best Lee. Lee will be tough, one assumes.

Funny how the biggest call of the night - the homer that hit the camera - had a lot of discussion from McCarver and Buck, except one obvious detail: Why was a camera set up over the outfield wall?

Actually they did mention this -- but McCarver tried to argue that the ball might not have gone out if the camera wasn't there. This seemed obviously wrong-headed however, since the ball's height and trajectory would have carried it at least to the top of the wall where it would have bounced over.

ZippyTheChimp
November 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Actually they did mention this -- but McCarver tried to argue that the ball might not have gone out if the camera wasn't there.What I meant was that they didn't talk about any aspect of the camera being there in the first place. There should have been a ground-rule in place for a ball that hit the camera. I doubt this was missed by McCarver. And there's still no replay from that camera being shown.

It just seems that Fox doesn't want to publicize that they intruded into the play.

I think Buck was the one who thought it might not have been a homer if the camera wasn't there. He was talking about "no conclusive evidence." Mccarver said right away he thought it was a homer.

And as I remember it, Buck was yapping about something and missed the call when the ball was hit. Has happened several times during the playoffs. With all the downtime between pitches, you'd think they could just shut up and pay attention for the less than a second it takes to deliver a pitch.

There was a time when you could watch a game without sound, and listen on the radio. The delayed transmission makes that impossible now.

hbcat
November 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
There was a time when you could watch a game without sound, and listen on the radio. The delayed transmission makes that impossible now.

Sometimes I just mute the sound and watch without commentary. Inevitably, however, I miss the crowd noise, the crack of the bat, etc., so I put the sound back on, only to be irritated again. so I mute the sound.... and so on.

I wish we had the option of muting only the announcers. Honestly, anyone who follows either team closely knows as much, or more, about the players and team history as these national broadcasters who "cover" thirty teams during the year. The fill the air time by babbling and, as you note, often miss crucial moments in the game as a result.

What I meant was that they didn't talk about any aspect of the camera being there in the first place.

I recall one of the two -- don't remember if it was Buck or McCarver -- did note that camera may have been wrongly placed, calling it the "Jeffery Maier camera" at one point. But you are right, they got off the topic pretty quickly, so possibly one of their producers told them to can such talk.

hbcat
November 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM
Yankees may have to vote Brad Lidge a share of the Series' money.

antinimby
November 2nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
ARod just won't be denied his first World Series ring. The clutch hits he's had this postseason is historical.

Can't think of anyone doing what he has done in three straight series. Unbelievable.

Let's finish off the Phils tomorrow. Ticker tape parade Wednesday starting at Battery Park going up Broadway.

hbcat
November 2nd, 2009, 02:01 AM
Let's finish off the Phils tomorrow. Ticker tape parade Wednesday starting at Battery Park going up Broadway.

Sounds good to me. Will you post photos?

ZippyTheChimp
November 2nd, 2009, 07:50 AM
Phils Phinished?

Hopefully, Matsui finally gets a ring. He came in and played in a WS in 2003, and probably thought there would be a few more. Didn't turn out that way. I don't think he'll be signed next year; the DH spot will be clogged, with Posada getting less work as a catcher. Matsui would easily get a contract with another team, but funny, I can't see him as anything but a Yankee.

Amazing that after so many years, Mo is still sawing off bats and getting weak popups and groundouts.

ZippyTheChimp
November 2nd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Got a text from Jimmy Rollins: "Never mind. "

NYatKNIGHT
November 2nd, 2009, 11:49 AM
I hope it's over tonight, my endurance level for going out six nights in a row at the bars ain't what it used to be!

ZippyTheChimp
November 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
Took last night off, and stayed home.

Anyone else think A-Rod was intentionally hit?

McCarver said something like, "No way you would intentionally throw at someone in this situation." That makes sense if the choice is: intentionally hit v. pitch to get an out.

But you're going to pitch around and not give him anything to hit and wind up putting him on first anyway, why not send him there by throwing at him? The situation was Damon on third with one out, a run already in. Why let A-Rod establish momentum by hitting one out? Put him on first and set up the DP with Posada.

It also has the desired result of both teams getting a warning. Even if both pitchers get ejected, its a good tradeoff for the Phils.

ZippyTheChimp
November 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
Philadelphia Inquirer forgets to hold off on printing a Macy's ad

http://media2.myfoxphilly.com/slideshows/philliesad/1/imgMed/tshirt3.jpg

:)

JCMAN320
November 2nd, 2009, 09:36 PM
Phils have come out gunning for Burnett. 6-1 so far. Burnett had a bad night. We might just have to ask Pettitte to win it Wednesday night!

hbcat
November 2nd, 2009, 10:56 PM
Took last night off, and stayed home.

Anyone else think A-Rod was intentionally hit?

?

It seemed as obvious as it gets to me. Pitchers almost always deny hitting batters purposefully. I wonder what Blanton said after the game? Something like, "Oh, I was just trying to come in on him and it got away." Yeah, right.

Arod got the best revenge in the 9th, so all was well.

Looking like there will be a Game 6 in New York since as I type the Phils are up 8-2 in the 7th.

Yankees in Six. :D

hbcat
November 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Philadelphia Inquirer forgets to hold off on printing a Macy's ad

http://media2.myfoxphilly.com/slideshows/philliesad/1/imgMed/tshirt3.jpg

^^^ Hubris.

Yankees in Six (an aspiration).

hbcat
November 3rd, 2009, 02:54 AM
BTW, it's not quite on the order of "Dewey Defeats Truman," but if the Yankees hold on and beat Philadelphia, that Macy's ad will be good trivia some day.

ZippyTheChimp
November 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'll go back to what I said on Saturday: If Yanks win on Sunday, they should pitch Gaudin on Monday. If you win, pop the champagne. If not, take the 3-2 lead back home with Burnett pitching Wednesday, and Pettitte available as backup.

Now Pettitte must pitch on 3 days rest. His record on short rest reflects this stat: In postseason, pitchers on short rest have a 12-35 record against pitchers on normal rest. To me, game 6 is now a must win for both teams. Anything can happen in a game 7, and with two wins in a row, the Phillies would have momentum going in. Yanks better have Pedro figured out, and light him up.

Girardi's in-game managing was excellent in games 3 and 4, but it seems to get in the way of his seeing the larger picture. He's not just managing game 5; he's managing a 7 game series. The Phillies were in a pressure situation. Girardi had the opportunity to dial it down for the Yanks, play the game loose. Lee beating a #5 starter isn't as much a big deal as beating #2.

The one good thing that happened in the game was the 8th and 9th inning rallies. Yanks brought the tying run to the plate, and got themselves a little momentum coming back home.

ZippyTheChimp
November 3rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
This is the first world Series scheduled to end in November.

Besides running into Halloween and the NYC marathon, it may influence local elections.
http://www.gothamgazette.com/blogs/wonkster/2009/11/02/politics-nd-baseball/

antinimby
November 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM
I hate Joe Girardi. :mad:

ZippyTheChimp
November 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
^
Is that a recent development (like today), or more long term.

I just find him sooooo boring. I can listen to most coaches and managers in those press-conferences, but Girardi has me groping for the mute button.

If they win the WS, Burnette should give him a pie in the face. He needs it.

OmegaNYC
November 3rd, 2009, 02:17 PM
LOL ^^^.

Well, it's back the The Bronx. The way I see it: The Yanks have to finish the Phills off tomorrow. You do not want this thing to go to a Game 7. If you're the Phills, just worry about Game 6. I know it sounds all cliche, but you can't worry about 7, without getting through 6. Yanks better have Pedro figured out, or the pressure is really going to be on them for Game 7.

antinimby
November 3rd, 2009, 08:50 PM
Is that a recent development (like today), or more long term.Long term. I have progressively come to despise him and his moves.

He is such a stick-in-the-mud, so to speak. He always plays by the numbers, lefty-righty match-ups, regardless of the situation.

If you're going to do that, then why do we need him? We can just use a computer to manage the team and make moves.

antinimby
November 3rd, 2009, 08:51 PM
Sounds good to me. Will you post photos?I would love to. I'm thinking this Friday (if they win Wednesday).

ZippyTheChimp
November 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
^
Get there early. At the Giants Super Bowl parade, side streets were shut down early. In any case, the surrounding area will have a big Yankee vibe.

One more late-night bar session...I hope. Already took off Thursday.

NYatKNIGHT
November 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
So did I.

ZippyTheChimp
November 4th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Well, off I go.

Enjoy the game all you fanatics.

Got a bad vibe about tonight. Hope it doesn't amount to anything.

User Name
November 4th, 2009, 10:00 PM
:D Matsui :D

3 hits 6 rbi

This game (and title?) may turn out to be his.

So sweet

JCMAN320
November 4th, 2009, 10:16 PM
7-3 Yankees!

OmegaNYC
November 4th, 2009, 11:55 PM
As much as I hate the Yanks, I will say Congrats on winning the WS. What a team. It's good to see the Phills loose.

ZippyTheChimp
November 5th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Hopefully, Matsui finally gets a ring. He came in and played in a WS in 2003, and probably thought there would be a few more. Didn't turn out that way.
Thanks Hideki. Too old for another night like this.

Hideki Matsui World Series MVP

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/mlb/news/20091105-OHT1T00048.htm

Well, I'm done for the night.

hbcat
November 5th, 2009, 12:50 AM
Matsui-san dewa kino ni taihen suburashi da ne! (Matsui was extraordinary tonight!)

hbcat
November 5th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Got a bad vibe about tonight. Hope it doesn't amount to anything.

You were probably just channeling Jimmy Rollins... :D

hbcat
November 5th, 2009, 12:54 AM
As much as I hate the Yanks, I will say Congrats on winning the WS. What a team. It's good to see the Phills loose.

So is this a Philadelphia thing then? You hate the Yankees, but can't stand Philadelphia? I can respect that -- Philadelphia, Greater Camden...

OmegaNYC
November 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM
^^^ <<<< Mets fan.

scumonkey
November 5th, 2009, 12:59 AM
We won't hold it against you :p

antinimby
November 5th, 2009, 01:10 AM
YES!!

Order has finally been restored in the baseball world. ;)

hbcat
November 5th, 2009, 01:32 AM
^^^ <<<< Mets fan.

My condolences.

Actually, although I have never been a Mets fan, an older brother took me to my first game, and it was a Mets' game at Shea. We saw the Cubs play the Mets with Tommy Terrific on the mound. This was late July of, yes, 1969, and the Mets were already showing signs of something big. Seaver took a Perfect Game into the 9th (8 1/3) before giving up a clean single. It was truly exciting and still the best single game I have ever attended. Not that I get to attend many. Nice memories.

ZippyTheChimp
November 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM
New York Yankees
Parade

Friday at 11 AM

Battery Park up Broadway to Chambers St. City Hall Plaza

NoNothing
November 5th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Such a good game last night! So happy the yankees won!

Jasonik
November 5th, 2009, 10:59 AM
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01516/yankees_1516810c.jpg (http://www.chippewa.com/articles/2009/11/05/ap/sports/bbo_world_series_mvp.txt)

The 2009 Yankees, though undeniably great and deserving of the title -- especially Matsui (whose 6 RBI bat goes to Cooperstown (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601079&sid=anZ4z2x7OfMM)) -- the storybook plot line... winning it all... at home... in the first year of the new stadium, for me anyway (a BoSox fan), is a tad too cute and more than a little groan inducing.

That said, I saw a NY fan's sign from maybe game 1 or 2 that said "The House that Jeter Built" which I thought was rather nice. And last night's game appeared to have more than a few actual baseball fans in the crowd who were loudly razzing Pedro, unlike the anemic enthusiasm displayed during the first three games in the Bronx, in comparison to the fanatics filling the Phillies' park.

It's kind of funny how the hubris (http://www.examiner.com/x-23020-Sports-Celebrity-Examiner~y2009m11d4-Favorite-Pedro-Martinez-quotes-during-the-World-Series) of Pedro lead in part to the downfall of the Phils who were probably blindsided (http://www.newsday.com/news/shades-of-grady-as-manuel-keeps-pedro-in-too-long-1.1568975) by the ego-feeding circus surrounding the game 6 start. There's a reason he was "sitting at home not doing anything" (http://www.nj.com/phillies/index.ssf/2009/11/pedro_martinez_looking_at_game.html) a few months ago...

Anyway, my Yankee pity (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=35689#post35689) is over. The hate is back...

http://www.fenwayoutlet.com/products/yankeehaterevil.jpg

NYatKNIGHT
November 5th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Woo-hoo! 27! The universe is back to normal now.

What a night! On way home from World Series, Yankee manager Joe Girardi pulls woman from auto wreck

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/11/05/2009-11-05_what_a_night_on_way_home_from_world_series_yank ee_manager_joe_girardi_pulls_woma.html#ixzz0W15RuD Nl

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/11/06/alg_yankees_joe_girardi.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
November 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=media%2Fgettyphoto%2FGYI0058824528.jpg&w=715&h=477

lofter1
November 5th, 2009, 08:41 PM
New York Yankees
Parade

Friday at 11 AM

Battery Park up Broadway to Chambers St. City Hall Plaza

PARADE ROUTE (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/yankees_parade_route_2009.pdf)

and ...

No Work Zone (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/downloads/pdf/yankee_parade_2009.pdf)

scumonkey
November 5th, 2009, 09:11 PM
No thank you...I'll watch it on tv;)
I went to the last one, and was almost mashed through a
storefront display window, as the hoards of fans
were pushing hard in every direction for a better look
- not fun!

antinimby
November 5th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Oh boy...I'm heading there tomorrow. I'm praying I come back in one piece!

Any advice on the best location?

scumonkey
November 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Find a street lamp you can climb up on;)

ZippyTheChimp
November 5th, 2009, 09:59 PM
The open area at Broadway & Park Row, Vesey, Ann.

The Giants parade was better controlled than the earlier Yankee parades, but that means the side streets to Broadway will be closed off.

JCMAN320
November 5th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Everyone wondered if the new stadium would have the ghosts, mystique, and aura; winning a title in it's opening year certainly adds to it.

The Yanks won their first WS in 1923; the inaugrual season of the original Yankee Stadium. Now they win their latest in the first year of the new Yankee Stadium in 2009. Ahhh Yankee history is a beautiful thing.

Props to Girardi for putting number 27 on his back and delivering it in style in the first year of the new Stadium. Also props for saving that woman.

Everything is restored to order in the Universe. A Red Sox fan tries to curse the Yanks by burying Papi's jersey in the new Stadium; then Papi slumps like crazy-admits using steroids in the same Stadium where his jersey was buried. Then Boston goes and has an all too familiar end to their season for fans that remember life before 2004. Then the Yanks go on and win the World Series in the same ballpark that worker attempted to curse in it's inaugural season!!

The Babe is always watching ;)

I wish I could get off work but I just started and I can't. I was at the Giants parade; so I don't feel like I'm missing out that much but I will be watching it online at the office. ;)

hbcat
November 5th, 2009, 11:20 PM
... [Ortiz] then slumps like crazy-admits using steroids in the same Stadium where his jersey was buried. ...Karmas a bitch! :D

Uh, we're not going to re-hash the whole 'roids thing ad nauseum, are we? Boston is no more guilty than other teams when it comes to substance use and abuse. Hundreds of players from every team (along with free agents between teams) have dabbled in PEDs for decades (cf. Jim Bouton's Ball Four, 1970).

The Commissioner & owners are at least as culpable as the players for the Steroid Era. All the suits cared about after the 1994 Strike was getting fannies into seats, even if that meant freakish stats and "athletes" who looked to be at home in the WWE as much as in pro baseball.

Wait,

Enough! enough! enough!
Somehow I have been stunn'd. Stand back!
Give me a little time beyond my cuff'd head, slumbers, dreams, gaping,
I discover myself on the verge of a usual mistake.
-- Walt Whitman, "Song of Myself," 1855, 1881.

I see I myself am discussing the Steroid Era, ad nauseum.

I think baseball is policing the drug problem now, and it's probably best to move on.

Steroid Era, begone!

"A good riddance of bad rubbish!" -- Charles Dickens, Dombey and Son, 1848.

"Play ball!" -- Abner Doubleday, 1849.

"Now, on to Number 28!!!!" -- Joe Girardi, attributed, Nov. 4, 2009.

"Uh, I got the 'in 5 or 6' part right, didn't I?" -- Jimmy Rollins, text message to Derek Jeter, Nov 5, 2009.

"Re-sign Matsui now!!!" -- general acclamation, October-November, 2009.

JCMAN320
November 5th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Lol I was just using it as a fun poke thats all. I'm not looking to talk steroids; just a joke.

NYatKNIGHT
November 6th, 2009, 10:38 AM
My office is 20 floors above route - I have NEVER seen a crowd like this, it's absolute hysteria and the parade hasn't even started yet. Church St is closed and packed with people, and they can't even see anything from there. Best spot I've seen so far is from the top of a garbage truck on one of the side streets. Cops were getting them down from there at first but apparently said screw it.

hbcat
November 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM
^^^ Can you post pics for us?

lofter1
November 6th, 2009, 11:50 AM
My office is 20 floors above route - I have NEVER seen a crowd like this ...

There's a whole generation of fans who weren't old enough to join in for the last festivities.

And think how NYC has changed, both physically and mentally, since they took the title in 2000 ...

ZippyTheChimp
November 6th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I was at Mudville 9 on Chambers St off W Broadway early this morning. Boomer Esiason & Carton WFAN were broadcasting from there 6-10AM, but they had to move to the studio for technical reasons.The bar was packed at 8AM with a line outside. Stayed that way all day. Chambers St was closed from West Broadway.

Never saw it like this.

JCMAN320
November 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't attend; just started a new job and there was no way my boss would let me off. I did watch it on the comp though. Zippy do you think this was larger and more festive than the Giants parade, which I did attend?

In terms of what seems like people apprecitating and savoring it more; I can attest to that. During '01-'09 alot changed for a Yankee fan after the Dynasty run.

In 2001 9/11 just happened and NY's flagship team gets to the WS where their Dynasty ends; you have the start of the Angels becoming the Yankees nemisis 2002; the Marlins winning the WS at Yankee Stadium in 2003; the Red Sox breaking the Curse of the Bambino in 2004; 3 years of first round elimination ('05, '06, '07), Joe Torre being fired along with the Red Sox winning the WS again in 2007 ; missing the playoffs for the first time in 13 years and closing Yankee Stadium in 2008; and the opening of a new Yankee Stadium in 2009.

I know that the Yankees have had their droughts, especially the '80s-early '90s; but with the dynasty ending, the Red Sox breaking the curse, and a new Stadium along with everything I listed was alot for a Yankee fan to take in right after 5 years of unfathomable success.

lofter1
November 6th, 2009, 10:57 PM
The partying on the streets started early this morning (by the sound of some folks below my windows early today, the merry making may have started on Wednesday night and continued non-stop). Every place I went today (Midtown, Times Square, Greenwich Village, Soho) there were Yankee outfits everywhere. At least one Modell's on 42nd Street was mobbed. Plus lots of folks being loud and having fun. Sometimes too much for their own good (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=303889&postcount=1068). Tonight things have quieted down. Seems everybody is sleeping it off now.

kz1000ps
November 7th, 2009, 12:13 AM
Question: so I got into the city Wed night during the sixth inning and was in the LES when they won, and yet the place was silent afterwards. I had my camera out, set to the video function, waiting to throw the windows open and document the anarchy, but nothing happened save for a few tame horn honks and some shouting. Ten minutes later and it was dead, as if it were any other Wednesday night. And around 1 AM we went out for food and I got the same impression.

So where was the action? Does the LES just have too many transplants? Too hipsterish? Or was I just on the wrong block (around Clinton and Houston)...?

I'm used to Boston, where the city goes into DEFCON 1 every time a team wins, even in the outer neighborhoods.

scumonkey
November 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
You should have been in times square- what a nightmare!

hbcat
November 7th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Some vids for those of us unable to attend the celebrations in NYC:

From The New York Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT3nRFIMtiw

From the AP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxs9mREGjmg

The rest are amateur vids from fans -- more fun.

Think Blair Witch meets Pride of the Yankees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HD6UPH0jvI

Subway shots, crowds scenes along route.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFCm2Mkb87w

A vid within a vid -- kinda captures my sense of distance...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXpklqXeXUw

From up above. There's got to be a player down there somewhere...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5djFCA-XKQ

A montage with before and after shots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxKbUMc55M

View from Trinity Church:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLtLbGzt62k

"Move outta the way!!" There's always somebody in the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcY4IodXZI

Clean-up Time!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfwRdmYxjh0

antinimby
November 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I was there yesterday. Since I got there right around the time the parade was suppose to start (11 AM), I obviously didn't get close to see the action. Every street leading to Broadway and surrounding City Hall was closed off by the cops. I was very disappointed of course but I understood.

There was a lot of people but since I've never went to one of these before, I have nothing to judge yesterday's crowd with so couldn't tell you if it was more than usual.

I did notice that the crowd was generally very young. A lot of them looked like they were skipping out from school. Another was that the normal Wall Street/office worker crowd was not very visible. Maybe they were holed up inside?

In any case, unless one plans on staking out a good, up-close spot hours in advance, you're better off watching it on T.V.

It was a lot fun though even without being able to see any of the players. The fans were very raucous but civilized and without the rowdiness these type of crowds can get.

Sorry, I don't have any pics to share (at least not anything interesting anyway).

Let's repeat next year.

#28!

antinimby
November 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The Empire State lit up in Yankee colors Thursday night...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2461/4079100907_dcd16629e1_b.jpg
cboyle23 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24668220@N08/4079100907/)

hbcat
November 8th, 2009, 03:18 AM
^^^^ Thanks for the report and photo, antinimby. The youtube link I posted, "Move outta the way!," amused me. It looks like everyone was having fun, especially those who weren't hell-bent on getting as close to the action as possible. I'd have gone, even without hope of getting near the parade, if I were in the city. I like festive crowds.

Spring training starts in, what is it, about two weeks, right? Maybe the playoffs can be stretched deeper into November next season and fill in some of this dead air time! :rolleyes:

P.S. I am still amazed by Matsui. Hope he gets re-signed. Yeah, I know, I know -- he probably will need to DH full-time again, but he makes up for it in the playoffs. Plus: if NY doesn't ink him again, what Japanese star do they have lined up to cater to the audience in Japan and Taiwan (hope Wang comes back too!)?

hbcat
November 23rd, 2009, 09:02 PM
I know some argue Matsui's inability to play in the field (he says he can, and I think it is foolhardy to underestimate an athlete of this caliber) means his days in NY are over. However, he's not earned another contract with NY, he and Ortiz are the best DHs of this generation (and Ortiz seems to be fading fast), and can pinch hit when others are in the DH role.

Plus there's the business side:

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/hdr_print.gif Fans will miss out if New York Yankees lose World Series MVP Hideki Matsui to free agency

BY Anthony Mccarron (http://www.nydailynews.com/authors/Anthony%20Mccarron)
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Saturday, November 21st 2009, 4:00 AM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/11/21/alg_matsui_trophy.jpg Sipkin/News
Keeping World Series MVP Hideki Matsui might make dollars and sense for the Yankees.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/11/21/amd_matsui_signs.jpg McIsaac/Getty
Signs indicate Matsui has major earning power for Yanks in Japan.

When he was managing in Japan (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Japan), Bobby Valentine (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Bobby+Valentine) frequently rode his bicycle for exercise during road trips, exploring different cities. Often, when he'd look up, he'd see Hideki Matsui (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Hideki+Matsui)'s face grinning from a billboard, pitching a car company or a beverage.
"He had this auto resaler and renter and I remember there were these flags of him waving on the sidewalk," Valentine recalled. "I had to maneuver around them on my bike. He is a daily presence over there. You'd have to compare him to Tiger Woods (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tiger+Woods), in terms of endorsements, in their country, and I don't think there's a baseball figure here who does what Matsui and Ichiro (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Ichiro+Suzuki) (Suzuki) do there."
Matsui, 35, is enormously popular in Japan, especially after winning the World Series MVP award. Sports news shows air highlights of his at-bats even when they're a groundout to second, Valentine said. Twenty print and broadcast outlets from Japan were assigned to cover Matsui on a daily basis.
While Matsui was earning $73million in salary over seven seasons in pinstripes, he helped build Yankee - and Major League Baseball (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Major+League+Baseball) - business in Japan and the Bronx (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/The+Bronx), whether by prompting Japanese companies to buy advertising signs at Yankee Stadium (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Yankee+Stadium) or drawing Japanese tourists to the stands. Matsui is a free agent and wants to return, but do the Yankees (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/New+York+Yankees) risk losing more than just a slugger if they do not re-sign him? Is possibly keeping him purely about baseball or is it a decision that strays into the Yankees' global business interests, too?
"He's very important over there because he enhances the Yankee brand in Asia (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Asia) significantly," said a baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' finances, who spoke on condition of anonymity. "They've done well there. Does he get some of the credit? Yes. All of it? No. It's hard to quantify. It's no giant amount of money. The business part is not going to be a factor in this. This is a baseball decision, not a business decision."
Still, the Yankees would have to replace Matsui-related income if he's playing elsewhere. How much depends on who you ask. Sanspo, a Japanese news outlet, reported this week that the Yankees stood to lose as much as $15 million if Matsui did not return. Other estimates have been as high as $20 million per year. The baseball official disputes both figures.
International revenue from TV contracts and merchandising is paid to MLB, and all 30 teams get an equal share, said Jim Small (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Jim+Small), MLB's VP, Asia. In other words, the Royals (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Kansas+City+Royals) or Pirates make as much as the Yankees each time a fan in Tokyo (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Tokyo) buys a Yankee cap or a pinstriped Matsui jersey. Small would not say what each slice of the revenue pie is worth. However, it makes sense that pie would be bigger with a major Japanese star in MLB's biggest market.
But the Yankees can make money on their own from advertising signs at the Stadium or via ticket sales to tourists, although the latter is difficult to quantify. They may even be able to ask for more money for in-stadium signs because they could say the signs would be seen on the 100-plus games televised in Japan last season by Japanese broadcasting giant NHK (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Japan+Broadcasting+Corporation).
Matsui's agent, Arn Tellem (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Arn+Tellem), declined to comment for this story, but he wrote a blog item about Matsui on the Huffington Post (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/HuffingtonPost.com+Inc.) Web site last week. Not surprisingly, the man who is responsible for getting Matsui's next contract wrote that Matsui "helps bring in millions of dollars annually in marketing and sponsorship revenue. ... Six major Japanese companies - including Toyota (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Toyota+Motor+Corporation), Sony (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Sony+Corporation) and the Daily Yomiuri newspaper - have signed on as advertisers, each reportedly adding $1 million or so a year to team coffers."
Tellem added, "It's not a stretch to say Matsui is as responsible for Japanese interest in the Yankees as Yao Ming (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Yao+Ming) is for the NBA (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/National+Basketball+Association) in China (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/China)."
The Yomiuri newspaper, which is the biggest in Japan and owns the Giants, had a prominent sign at the Stadium last season as did Komatsu (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Komatsu+Ltd.), a company from Matsui's hometown that manufacturers construction equipment. The Yankees refused comment on how much they make on those signs, but one source suggested it was $3million to $4 million "over the years."
In the meantime, Valentine, now an analyst for ESPN (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/ESPN+Inc.), says he'll be watching where Matsui lands. "It would be silly to think there's no value added," Valentine said. "You'd have to think you would derive something from his celebrity in Japan."

hbcat
November 28th, 2009, 07:52 PM
The Sox are reported (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2009/11/24/2009-11-24_roy_halladay_yankees_sox.html) to be going hard after Doc Halladay, but this new story suggests Halladay prefers a trade to the Yankees. Hmmmm. I wonder what I want for Christmas this year...

11/28/09 10:31 AM EST [from www.mlb.com ]

Halladay OK with deal to Yankees

Righty reportedly would waive no-trade to go to New York

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- If the Yankees can pry Roy Halladay loose from the Blue Jays, the ace right-hander seems to be all for shifting allegiances in the American League East. Halladay would reportedly waive his no-trade clause for a trade that would fit him for Yankees pinstripes, according to a story Friday in The Toronto Sun.
(http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/news/hot_stove/y2009/index.jsp)
The story, written by Bob Elliott, quotes an unnamed Major League executive as saying, "I don't know when he is going and I don't know where he's going. But I do know that Halladay has told the Jays he'll approve a trade to the Yankees."
Halladay, 32, has not been shy about exercising his full no-trade clause in the past. When the Blue Jays were considering possible landing spots for Halladay in July, the Twins were nixed as a destination, and Rangers president Nolan Ryan said in September that his club would have been blocked as well.
The former American League Cy Young Award winner has a career record of 148-76 with a 3.43 ERA over 12 seasons in Toronto, and he has one year remaining on a three-year, $40 million deal.
A trusted mentor to Yankees starter A.J. Burnett during their time together in Toronto, Halladay will earn $15.75 million in 2010 and would become a free agent after the season, unless he is traded and reaches an agreement on a new extension.
Citing a source, the New York Daily News wrote last week that the Red Sox were putting on a "full-court press" to land Halladay, with the goal of pulling off such a transaction before the Winter Meetings start in Indianapolis on Dec. 7.
It is believed that Halladay's preferred teams for a deal would include the Yankees, Red Sox, Angels and Phillies, all of whom can fulfill his desire to contend for a World Series title while also possessing the ability to offer a rich contract.
If the Yankees want to pull off a trade for Halladay, the price is likely to be a young and talented package that could include a Major League-ready pitcher like Joba Chamberlain or Phil Hughes, as well as a top prospect like catcher Jesus Montero or outfielder Austin Jackson.
A similar circumstance was a deal breaker for general manager Brian Cashman after the 2007 season, when the Yankees passed on trading for Johan Santana and instead waited one year to pursue CC Sabathia as a free agent.
New York could use the pitching help, as manager Joe Girardi said this week it appears to be Sabathia, Burnett and "a mix of some other guys."
Andy Pettitte is contemplating retirement once again and has not tipped his intentions, and while the Yankees view Chamberlain and Hughes as starters for 2010, that is not concrete. Behind them would be a patch of back-end candidates that will likely include Chad Gaudin, Alfredo Aceves and Sergio Mitre.
The Yankees are scheduled to meet next week in Tampa, Fla., to finalize their budget for 2010, and they are not expected to put on the same spending blitz as last winter, when $423.5 million in new commitments were issued to Sabathia, Burnett and Mark Teixeira.
But the Yankees have holes to fill, and Cashman has said that he plans to engage the Yankees' own free agents -- including Pettitte, Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui -- before attacking the open market. While Cashman has discussed trades with teams, including the Blue Jays, he said nothing is imminent.
"I don't have a trade sitting in my back pocket," Cashman said.

Bryan Hoch (bryan.hoch@mlb.com) is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

TREPYE
November 28th, 2009, 10:01 PM
<sigh!> :rolleyes:

Typical Yankee avarice....

hbcat
November 29th, 2009, 01:00 AM
^ Yeah, I know, it's just profligate and wicked. It reminds me of the story of the Maryland congresswoman -- I forget her name -- who represented a liberal district, but as a Republican. When asked a few years ago why she didn't switch parties, she said her family had always been Republican and she just couldn't take the leap to the Dems, although she voted with her Democratic colleagues nearly all the time.

I have analogous feelings. I know I am cheering on the Evil Empire. I know it. I feel just horrible about it. I cannot sleep well most nights. My heart just bleeds for Cubbie and Mets fans everywhere.

But I grew up in a one-sport, Yankee-only household. My older brothers played, and everyone in that part of NJ voted pinstripes. I just cannot follow another team.

But I do fully realize the New York Yankees are over-the-top and obnoxious. I know the Bronx Bombers get on the nerves of almost everyone who doesn't follow the team, and many who do not even follow baseball. It's just awful.

So on behalf of the gluttonous and overpaid, I do apologize for the team's --

40 American League Pennants &
27 World Series Victories!!!

Mwha-ha-haa...

lofter1
December 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Terrific end of the season recap from The New Yorker:

“Daddies Win”

Roger Angell, The Sporting Scene
The New Yorker, p. 30
November 30, 2009,

Read more: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/11/30/091130fa_fact_angell#ixzz0ZDJFAwCy (online subscription required for full article)

ABSTRACT: THE SPORTING SCENE about the 2009 baseball season and the World Series, which was won by the Yankees over the Phillies. Writer tells about Alex Rodriguez's performance on the final day of the regular season. Rodriguez (A-Rod) hit two home runs and drove in seven runs to reach season totals of thirty home runs and one hundred runs batted in. In some ways, this had been his worst season ever, beginning, as it did, with the revelation that he had used anabolic steroids and followed by arthroscopic surgery on his hip, which kept him out of the lineup until May. Rodriguez, despite his three Most Valuable Player awards, two of which had come since he joined the Yankees, in 2004, had suffered ungodly post-season difficulties at the plate, dating back to the fourth game of the 2004 A.L.C.S. This run of high-pressure flops contributed to the Yankees failures to get past the first round of playoffs in 2005, '06, and '07. This year—well, this year he's been somebody else. His post-season paralysis vanished with two run-scoring singles in the first Divisional game against the Twins. He was the standout player in that series and did not cease to deliver thereafter. Briefly discusses the Mets' injury-riddled season and the September swoon by the Tigers which cost them the Central Division title. The Yanks made it through each level this year without putting themselves into the rigors of a seventh game, but it was never an easy progression. Nothing much about the Championship Series with the Los Angeles Angels feels like fun in retrospect, even from this distance. Mostly it was terrifying. Discusses Philadelphia pitcher Cliff Lee's performance in the World Series, comparing his delivery to that of Hal Newhouser. Tells about the Game II starting pitchers, A.J. Burnett and Pedro Martinez, the Yankees' ancient Red Sox bugbear. Briefly discusses Derek Jeter, Chase Utley, and C.C. Sabathia's contributions to the Series. Gives a detailed recounting of Johnny Damon's at-bat against Phillies closer Brad Lidge and Damon's ensuing stolen base in the top of the ninth inning of Game IV when the score was tied. Damon changed it all and became the hinge of this World Series; when it was over, the Phillies were in fatal difficulties. Also discusses the performance of Hideki Matsui in the sixth and concluding game of the Series. Matsui batted .615 for the Series, with three home runs, and took the Series MVP.

NYatKNIGHT
December 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I read that too - love his writing style. Very enjoyable read.

hbcat
December 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
^
I figured I'd hear from you, but I'm not sure if it's your status as OP or as RSF that's making me do extra work.

I can split off a new Yankee thread. Post #270 looks like a good place to start. Not much Yankee-Red Sox stuff after that point, except maybe A-Rod and his purse.

Let me know.

Zippy --

As a fairly new WNY member and ardent baseball (Yankee) fan, this is where I come for all things Yankee-related. So, yes, I'd say let's have a separate Yankee thread, leaving this one for specifically Boston-NYY posts. I think that is what you are proposing, isn't it?

hb

hbcat
December 9th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Any thoughts on the acquisition of Curtis Granderson (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/grandcu01.shtml)in this three-way trade (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091208&content_id=7774692&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy)(Yanks give up Ian Kennedy, Phil Coke, and Austin Jackson)?

This probably means that either Damon or Matsui are done as Yankees. I am ambivalent about Granderson. He's a fine ball-player, and will be an upgrade in CF (Melky moves to a corner field), and as a lefty pull hitter, he'll probably tack on to the 30hrs he hit in 2009. But he also strikes out a lot (about once every five ABs), and only generated 71 RBIs last year. He's supposed to be a fantastic guy though, and many write that he will fit in very well in the NY and is quite capable of dealing with the media hub-bub. He's only 29, so he'll have a chance to grow, as a player coming into his best years.

I will be very very sorry to lose either Matsui or Damon though. If I have to pick, I want Matsui to return. A NY friend in Kyoto corresponds with me all the time about the games, and if the Yanks don't re-sign Matsui and if Wang doesn't return sometime next year, we will not get all the games televised live (and replayed in the evenings) in Japan and Taiwan, as we have for several years now.

Oh, yes, since this is still the Red Sox vs Yankees thread, what are the chances Boston trades for Halladay? (Zippy, that was a forced, last-minute attempt to stay on topic; we do need a new thread.)

ZippyTheChimp
December 9th, 2009, 10:19 PM
This probably means that either Damon or Matsui are done as Yankees.Not necessarily.

It might depend on how much interest there is on other teams for Melky. He had a good year and is only 25 years old. I heard the Cubs were interested; I'm sure they'd like to unload that idiot Milton Bradley. Yanks could trade for prospects to replace Austin Jackson.

Bret Gardner becomes the 4th outfielder sharing time with Damon. Damon is the part-time DH, as he was this year. He would remain the #2 hitter; because of his high SO's, Granderson would be maybe the #7 hitter.

The situation that affects Matsui is the same regardless of Granderson.

I'm not sure Molina is going to be offered a contract, because the backup catcher is going to get more playing time in 2010. I think Francisco Cervelli, who was impressive last year, especially in calling a game, is going to backup Posada. Posada gets more time as DH.

The DH position is going to be one of committee for the Yanks. Posada, Damon, and rest days for the regulars. With a reduced role, Matsui isn't going to be offered as much from the Yanks as he will get from a team needing a full-time DH with left-side power that can hit lefty pitching. Look for the White Sox to make a big offer. If Matsui is willing to take less money and playing time just to stay on the team, I think he'll get an offer.

Besides, I don't think the media exposure on the other side of the world is lost on Yankees Inc.

Don't know what's going on with Wang, other than his recovery is pegged for about June, not spring training. The Yanks have until Saturday to offer him a contract.

Yanks get a player from the Nationals for Bruney.

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Preceding posts were split off from the Red Sox v. Yankees (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4102) thread.

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Oscar Gamble when traded to the Yanks in 1975.
http://sportslifer.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/oscargamble.jpg

The newspaper photo is a pre-photoshop edit.

Gamble was traded to the Yankees from the Indians for pitcher Pat Dobson following the 1975 season. When he joined New York, owner George Steinbrenner made him get his hair trimmed before he was issued a Yankee uniform.

“I went into (manager) Billy Martin’s office and asked him where my uniform was,” Gamble said. “He told me, ’George said when you get a haircut, we’d issue you a uniform.’ Elston Howard took me to get a haircut. It was time for it to go. I didn’t have a problem with that.”

According to some reports, when Gamble went home to his first wife Juanita (who sang the national anthem on occasion at Yankee Stadium), she cried when she saw him for the first time sans afro.

Gamble hit 17 home runs to help lead the Yankees to the 1976 American League pennant, and was then traded to the White Sox as part of a package that brought Bucky Dent to the Bronx. He returned to the Yankees for a five-year stint, beginning in 1980, and finished his career with the White Sox.

Oscar as a Yankee
http://awesome.ly/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/oscar-gamble-yankees.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
and was then traded to the White Sox as part of a package that brought Bucky Dent to the Bronx.Maybe this should have gone in the Red Sox v. Yankees thread.

:D

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Rule 5 Draft today.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/logos/team_url/mlb.gif

Rule 5 could uncover hidden gems

Teams hope to land underrated talent in Thursday's Draft

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- There were 21 players taken in the Major League phase of last year's Rule 5 Draft. Of those, six saw time in the big leagues during the 2009 season. Only three stuck with the teams that drafted or traded for them on Draft Day.

That, by and large, is a pretty good success rate, which gives a pretty strong idea of just how much of a crapshoot the Rule 5 Draft is.

Nevertheless, all 30 teams will come together here at the Winter Meetings to give it a shot. This year's Draft starts at 9 a.m. ET on Thursday. MLB.com will carry the audio portion of the event live from Indianapolis.

During the Major League phase of the Rule 5 Draft, eligible players left unprotected from their clubs' 40-man rosters may be selected for $50,000. A player selected must remain on his drafting team's active Major League roster during the following season or be sent back to the original club for $25,000.

The low cost makes it a worthwhile risk for many teams hoping to find that diamond in the rough. Buzz about this year's crop had been relatively low, though names were starting to circulate as Wednesday wore on.

The basic early response from frequent queries around the hotel has been some version of, "Haven't heard any names, have you?" The general consensus is that there were no names really jumping out, but there would undoubtedly be activity in the Major League phase. Some teams expressed initial doubt, but then seemed to come around as internal meetings turned to the Rule 5.

"There's a good chance we'll take somebody," said Pirates general manager Neal Huntington, whose club has the second pick.

That statement came just one day after Huntington stated, "I don't know that there is a guy that we felt as strongly about as we did last year and the year before on the board right now. But as we go through our process, we'll be sound and diligent in our thoughts."

Below is the order of selection for the Rule 5 Draft on Thursday and where each team stands with its 40-man roster. A team must have fewer than 40 to make a selection in the Major League phase of the Draft.

Pick No-------Team------Roster size
1-------Washington-------40
2-------Pittsburgh---------38
3-------Baltimore----------39
4-------Kansas City--------40
5-------Cleveland----------39
6-------Arizona------------38
7-------NY Mets------------39
8-------Houston------------37
9-------San Diego----------39
10------Oakland------------40
11------Toronto------------38
12------Cincinnati----------40
13------Chicago White Sox-39
14------Milwaukee----------38
15------Chicago Cubs-------38
16------Tampa Bay---------39
17------Seattle-------------37
18------Detroit-------------39
19------Atlanta-------------40
20------Minnesota----------40
21------Texas---------------38
22------Florida--------------39
23------San Francisco------39
24------St. Louis------------35
25------Colorado------------38
26------Philadelphia--------33
27------LA Dodgers---------33
28------Boston--------------32
29------LA Angels----------38
30------NY Yankees--------38

There have been similar years that have appeared quiet leading into the Draft. In 2006, there was buzz about Josh Hamilton, but it seemed more like a curiosity than anything else. Not only did Hamilton go on to become an All-Star with the Texas Rangers, but that "quiet" Draft also produced All-Star closer Joakim Soria as well as big league reliever Jared Burton and Nationals catcher Jesus Flores.

There was some intrigue heading into the start of this year's Draft with the top pick. Initially owned by the Washington Nationals (like with the June First-Year Player Draft, the selection order is based on the reverse order of the standings at the end of the season), the pick was sent to the Yankees in the Brian Bruney deal. As of Wednesday afternoon, it was unclear whether New York would keep the pick or try to deal it to another team for cash. The Yankees were leaning toward using the pick on Wednesday afternoon, but things can always change.

A couple of names were cropping up as potential high picks. Marlins outfielder John Raynor had a bit of a down year in Triple-A, but still has a career .299/.383/.452 line. D-backs pitcher Hector Ambriz was another one thought to be an early pick. The right-hander out of UCLA spent most of his time in Triple-A, and finished 2009 with a 12-11 record and 4.94 ERA.

Every year, there are a few strong-armed players who are lower down in the Minors who get taken in the hopes of catching lighting in the bottle, a la Soria. This year's version could be Arquimedes Caminero. The Marlins reliever pitched at a couple of lower levels in 2009, with 15 games at short-season Jamestown and Greensboro in the South Atlantic League. The 22-year-old did show arm strength, striking out 61 in 40 2/3 total innings.

Whatever happens on Thursday, it's not just about taking a player, of course. Ideally, the player sticks on the big league roster and the team gets a steal. With the names being mentioned not wowing anyone, the question remains just how many teams will take a chance at taking a player they're even less sure about being able to keep than in usual years.

"The challenge of carrying a Rule 5 player, as we experienced this year, is real," Huntington said. "It's not just selecting the player. It's the reality of being able to carry that player throughout the entire season. It's not just about Thursday."

Here are some other names who have been mentioned as possible picks on draft day:

Aaron Breit, RHP, Padres: Breit's overall numbers haven't always been great, but his power stuff still looks enticing. He struck out 110 in 107 2/3 innings in the California League last year and was sharper in relief (3.07 ERA, .222 average against) than as a starter.

Bobby Cassevah, RHP, Angels: A 34th round pick out of high school back in the 2004 Draft, Cassevah was a Texas League All-Star this past year and finished with a 3.68 ERA in 57 relief outings. He held hitters to a .236 average and struck out 45 in 73 1/3 IP. Right-handed hitters fared much more poorly, with a .199 average against.

Koby Clemens, C, Astros: It's highly unlikely that Roger's son will get taken, being that he just played in the Class A Advanced California League. But given his name and the fact that he led the Minors with 123 RBIs makes him at least worth a mention.

Colin Curtis, OF, Yankees: Curtis could make for a solid backup outfielder type at the big league level. He hit just .250/.321/.364 during the year, but was impressive in the Arizona Fall League. Over 78 at-bats, he hit .398/.472/.731. Sure, small sample size, but you can bet people were watching.

Steve Clevenger, C, Cubs: The Cubs were preparing to possibly get hit a few times, with Clevenger perhaps the most likely to go. The converted backstop has earned raves for his work behind the plate. He also hit .290/.344/.378 in Double- and Triple-A in 2009.

Chris Hayes, RHP, Royals: The submariners don't often get a lot of love, but Hayes has put up solid numbers all the way up the Kansas City chain. He pitched in Double- and Triple-A, so it's not that big of a leap for the right-hander and a stat-minded team might like his really low walk and home-run rates.

Zach Kroenke, LHP, Yankees: If the name looks familiar, it's because he was taken a year ago, only to be returned to the Yankees. He's coming off a very solid Triple-A season, where he finished with a 1.99 ERA and .213 average against. Some scouts saw him throw well in the Arizona Fall League. During the regular season, lefties hit just .186 against him and lefty specialists are often in demand.

Chuck Lofgren, LHP, Indians: Speaking of possible lefty specialists, Lofgren might fit that bill even though he's spent most of his pro career as a starter. He pitched extremely well in Double-A to start the year, but scuffled a bit over 17 Triple-A starts. But the numbers that might stand out to a team are 19-for-106. That's what left-handed hitters managed against Lofgren, which translates to a .179 average.

Matt McBride, C, Indians: Teams like the bat, and for good reason. During the regular season, he hit .287/.340/.489, finishing with 18 homers and 99 RBIs between the Carolina and Eastern leagues. He then went on to hit a torrid .378/.511/.649 in the Arizona Fall League. The only question is about the defense. An American League team that could have him catch a little and DH some might take a shot.

Jean Machi, RHP, Pirates: Sometimes, a player's performance in winter ball leads to a Rule 5 selection. It's not that Machi was bad in 2009, finishing with a 2.09 ERA and 12 saves between Double-A Altoon and Triple-A Indianapolis while holding hitters to a .202 average. He's improved his stock with his work in the Venezuelan Winter League. The right-hander leads the league with 13 saves and has a 1.57 ERA in 24 games. Over 28 2/3 IP, he's allowed just 21 hits (.202 BAA) and four walks while striking out 21.

Yohan Pino, RHP, Indians: The 25-year-old had an extremely successful 2009 season across two levels and two organizations. He began the year in Double-A with the Twins, got promoted to Triple-A, then got dealt to the Indians in the Carl Pavano trade. Combined, he went 9-3 with a 2.83 ERA. Over 127 IP, he gave up 110 hits, walked just 29 and racked up 122 strikeouts. Teams have been able to follow his progress in Venezuela this winter and he's shown the ability to start and relieve.

Chad Thall, LHP, Orioles: Thall is a big lefty coming off a very solid season in Double-A. He finished with a 2.69 ERA in 53 games, holding hitters to a .214 batting average against and striking out 55 over 60 1/3 IP. And he was death to lefties, holding them to a .188 batting average against while striking out 36 in 28 1/3 innings.

Corey Wimberly, UTIL, A's: He's got a lot of what teams look for in a Rule 5 pick: speed to spare and the ability to play a number of positions. Think of a poor man's Chone Figgins.

Armando Zerpa, LHP, Red Sox: He's only 22 and he's left-handed. On top of that, he held hitters to a .172 average and struck out 78 in 74 2/3 innings across two levels of A-ball. He was even stingier against lefties, holding them to a .097 batting average (7-for-72). Command (35 walks) might be a bit of an issue.

hbcat
December 10th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The Yankees used their Rule 5 pick from the Bruney trade to get Hoffman. No, not that Hoffman -- this one, Jamie Hoffman (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091210&content_id=7792496&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy), a AA/AAA outfielder. He's being represented as a possible 5th outfielder, but I'm not buying that. If he is not on the 25 man roster during the season -- and for the entire season -- NY will lose him to his original team, the Dodgers, according to Rule 5 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft) stipulations.

So, assuming the Yankees did not wish to simply dump Bruney, which they could have done by releasing him (or, more productively, trading him in some other no-strings deal), I read this as a maneuver in the Damon negotiations.

Since I don't believe the Yankees did this Bruney/Rule 5 dump for a big, empty nada, I now assume NY desires a Damon return for 2010, and hope to use this acquisition as a bit of leverage to lower his (or Boras's) demands.

How's that for reading between lines, Zippy? You agree?

ZippyTheChimp
December 10th, 2009, 10:52 PM
^
Nope. I don't think the addition of Hoffmann changes the Damon situation at all.

Any of the current outfielders, Hoffmann included, is a better defensive player than Damon. With Swisher in right and Granderson in center, any two of Gardner-Cabrera-Hoffmann can play left. Damon's value is as the #2 hitter, and Hoffmann isn't suited for that role.

Hoffmann's stats are very similar to Austin Jackson. Jackson is 2 years younger and has more upside potential, but Hoffmann already has major league experience and is rated better defensively. Jackson was going to get a look at spring training with the possibility of being a fourth outfielder.

What I read from the addition of Hoffmann is that either Cabrera or Gardner is going to be traded. I mentioned that the Cubs were interested in Cabrera; the Royals and the White Sox (http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/12/start_spreading_the_news_sox_e.html) are looking at Gardner.

hbcat
December 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I may have to follow two teams next season. I had hoped that the Yankees would non-tender Wang and then re-sign him to a less lucrative contract, but that is looking unlikely according to reports I have read this evening (see below for example).

This is really bad news for me. I have followed him since his days in the minors, and listened to his every pitch while I was in the UK, 2003-2006. He should have won 20 games in 2006, but Torre wanted to rest Mo in Washington one June afternoon, and Wang gave up a walk-off homer to Zimmerman. That led to the only time I have seen Wang lose his cool -- he threw his glove into the dugout after walking off the mound, in disgust with himself.

All the Yankee games are broadcast live in Taiwan because of his presence on the team. It is hard to exaggerate how huge he has been here. He's on TV selling cars, bank accounts, laptops, milk -- you name it. Public TV offered special memorabilia as fund-raising incentives. I own DVDs and sets of Wang fridge magnets.

He's a really good guy. And for a couple of years he was a very fine pitcher. Rumors suggest he might reunite with Torre and Bowa out in LA.

Can we get his name right, at least once, before he leaves NY?: It's surname first, and the pronunciation goes like this: Wang Jen-min ("Chien-ming" Wang is the rendering from an arcane 19th-century British romanization scheme for Mandarin; even then it should be "Chien-min," but his father got the spelling wrong on his passport.)

His hometown, Tainan, is about 3 hours south of where I sit. A bit of trivia: Tainan and New York, I like to tell people here, are sister cities. Tainan was founded by the Dutch East India Company in 1624, while New Amsterdam was founded by the Dutch West India Company in 1625. That has united this island and NY for nearly 400 years, in an academic sense. Wang has united Taiwan with New York like nothing else before or since.

If only he had just struck out in that game in Houston.

My flags are all at half mast.

>>>><<<<<

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/12/sports/baseball/12base.html

BASEBALL ROUNDUP
Yanks Unlikely to Offer Wang a New Contract
By TYLER KEPNER
Published: December 11, 2009

If you look closely at the photos of the Yankees’ celebration after winning the World Series, you will see Chien-Ming Wang among the happy throng. He blends in as a bystander to their success, contributing just one victory all season, an ace turned afterthought because of a damaged right shoulder.

ZippyTheChimp
December 12th, 2009, 08:38 PM
I may have to follow two teams next season. I had hoped that the Yankees would non-tender Wang and then re-sign him to a less lucrative contract, but that is looking unlikely according to reports I have read this evening (see below for example).I think you're misreading the title of the article.

Non-tender means Wang won't be offered a contract before the deadline, making him a free-agent. Not that he can't be offered a contract after that.

From today's NY Post:
They aren’t expected to offer Chien-Ming Wang, their best pitcher in 2007 and 2008, a contract for 2010 by midnight tonight. That will make the 29year-old right-hander, who had shoulder surgery in July, a free agent.

“He understands it’s a process and the consequences,” agent Alan Nero said of Wang, who has been working out in Taiwan and throwing on flat ground since Dec. 1. “We have to deal with it. In our conversation with the Yankees, they aren’t going to tender but would like to keep him and offer him under that. At that point we will look at our opportunities and make a decision.”

Since Wang made $5 million last year, is eligible for arbitration and couldn’t be cut more than 20 percent, the least it was going to cost the Yankees was $4 million. They believe that’s too much for a hurler who won’t be ready to start the season.

“He will be ready the first week of May,” Nero said. “He is way ahead of schedule. We had to hold him back. He is throwing two and three times a week. So far, everything has been positive and there have been no setbacks.”

It will be interesting to see how it turns out with Wang. As a free agent, Wang can do what he wants. It's possible that if doesn't pursue offers from other teams, the Yankees could offer him a reduced contract with incentives if his rehab is successful and he gets on the roster. The risk would be his. He may choose to sign a guaranteed contract with another team, putting the risk on them.

hbcat
December 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
I know that, but several stories, including the one I cited, suggest the Yankees aren't even interested in offering Wang a contract as a free agent (some stories say they might offer a minor league contract but that he is expected to turn this down; that's where the Dodger speculation comes in). I know it ain't over till its over, but it looks like the odds of Wang returning are less that 50%, and I had assumed he'd be back with the team regardless of the terms of any deal.

Anyway, you are correct inasmuch as Wang hasn't signed on with any team yet, and there is still an outside chance NY might pick him up.

From the NYTimes, above:

"The Yankees would like to re-sign Wang to a minor league deal to minimize their risk; if Wang makes the major league team, he would presumably be paid well. But as a free agent, of course, Wang could seek offers from all teams."

From another story:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/79114657.html

Yanks to part with Chien-Ming Wang
Saturday, December 12, 2009
THE RECORD

"Chien-Ming Wang's career as a Yankee seems on the verge of ending, with the club due to non-tender him a contract and fading hopes for a new deal before tonight's midnight deadline.

The right-hander has been linked to interest from the Dodgers, and one report put Los Angeles as a prominent destination for Wang, reuniting him with Joe Torre. Under Torre, Wang twice was a 19-game winner."

Possibly (my hope) this is rumor-driven speculation with no foundation in fact. Sports writers have been known to, uh, over-hype an angle on occasion.

ZippyTheChimp
December 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM
http://images.clickability.com/partners/251967/mainLogo.gif

Yankees' empire good or evil?

Saturday, December 12, 2009
By IAN O'CONNOR
RECORD COLUMNIST

If you are a Yankees fan, there is a reassuring surplus of bliss and order in your world. The defending champions spent much of last week near the old brickyard in Indy, and somehow sped away in the only car worthy of a checkered flag.

The winter meetings are scheduled to close gaps, not widen them. It’s common sense. General managers of the losing teams are supposed to make their rosters younger, better, and more athletic so they can attempt to overtake the winning team from the season before.

In other words, the New York Yankees aren’t supposed to get Curtis Granderson at the winter meetings.

The Kansas City Royals are supposed to get Curtis Granderson at the winter meetings.

Only if you’re a Yankees fan, you don’t care that a talented, grounded, photogenic, in-his-prime center fielder was acquired without surrendering a single core member of your championship club. Your team is playing by the rules, your ownership is willing to spend about $200 million on wages to win, and you’re too busy watching another Yankeeography to heed any small-market cries for justice, fairness and the American way.

Your Yankees are supposed to march into the winter meetings waving 27 banners, and they’re supposed to march out waving an order form for No. 28.

It’s a charmed life in the Bronx, where everyone believes the Yankee empire is as good for the baseball business as the Soviet Union was for the spy business.

But is Yankee dominance truly good for the sport? Is it truly bad for the sport?

I posed those questions to two of the game’s most astute and passionate observers, good friends and great writers who authored the defining baseball books of the season and who field the questions with entirely different perspectives.

Mike Vaccaro of Hillsdale, author of “The First Fall Classic,” the epic tale of the eight-game 1912 World Series staged between the New York Giants and Boston Red Sox, grew up a stubborn Mets fan on Long Island, dying and dying with every wayward pitch.

Joe Posnanski, author of “The Machine,” the bestseller about the 1975 Cincinnati Reds, was a Yankee-hating Indians fan in Cleveland long before he spent 13 years in Kansas City as a newspaper columnist watching a franchise crumble under the weight of a hopelessly lost cause.

With the last shred of ticker-tape removed from the Lower Manhattan streets, with the last drop of champagne sucked out of the clubhouse carpets in the Bronx, I wanted to hand over this space to two voices who connect with millions of fans who curse those damn Yankees, fans who would prefer a Joe Hardy in every opposing outfield.

Vaccaro, the grownup Mets fan-turned-neutral New York journalist. Posnanski, the grownup Indians fan-turned-neutral heartland chronicler who has watched the Royals lose an average of 94 games since 1997.

We’ll start with Posnanski. He delivers a compelling read on the greatness of the ’75 Reds in “The Machine,” but lives and breathes the ethos of a team and market overwhelmed by the Yankees’ staggering resources. Say it ain’t so, Joe.

“I think it’s really good when baseball has a great team, a team everybody can measure themselves against,” Posnanski said. “What’s not good is when that team is always the Yankees. What’s really infuriating to people in Kansas City is that it seems like the field is so unlevel.

“The Yankees get Granderson, and people say it’s not about the money. Of course, Granderson’s getting $25 million for the next three years, and in Kansas City that guy’s the second-highest paid guy on the team. So that part really offends the sensibilities.

“Everyone loves having the Yankees as villains; they’re like the Dallas Cowboys when they were America’s Team. But there are people in Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati who literally just stopped caring about baseball because of the Yankees, who spend $150 million more on payroll than some teams. When you can make $100 million more than any other team, and use all that money to make yourself the best team, what’s the fun of it?”

Now we’ll give the floor to Hillsdale’s Vaccaro. He brilliantly recreated the greatest World Series of all in “The First Fall Classic,” but does his best work when bonding with fatalistic Mets readers in a city where inferiority complexes aren’t suffered easily.

“I think [Yankee dominance] is great for the sport,” Vaccaro maintained. “A lot of people around the world don’t know what baseball is and yet know the Yankees, and that says a lot about how important they are. And having a team that’s a rallying point for the rest of baseball is a great thing.

“In this market, the Yankees force the Mets to be serious about competing. I truly believe the reason why the Mets rose again in the Eighties was that they were shamed into it by the Yankees, and forced to spend money and do things the right way.

“The Yankees affect everybody. They were so dominant in the Nineties that the Red Sox felt they had to throw an occasional counter-punch to remain a legitimate foil. I don’t think the Red Sox would’ve ever traded for Pedro in ’98 unless they needed something to compete with the Yankees.”

So the old Mets fan believes the prospect of another Yankee dynasty is good, while the old Indians fan who feels the Royals’ pain believes that prospect – at least at these prices – helps nobody but the Steinbrenners.

“To Yankee fans there was a drought in the 2000s when they didn’t win the World Series,” Posnanski said. “But they went to two World Series and were in the playoffs every year. In Kansas City, they’d bring those teams back for a parade.”

The Yankees won 89 games in Joe Girardi’s first season, the season without any playoffs. The Royals haven’t won at least 89 games in 20 years.

“When you’re spending $50 million more than the No. 2 team,” Posnanski said, “you’re not playing the same game as everybody else.”
Of course, if you’re a Yankee fan, you’ll keep playing a different game as long as major league baseball allows you to. That doesn’t mean the rest of America has to like it.

Copyright © North Jersey Media Group

First, let's get a few things out of the way.

Although they try and hide it, the Red Sox are now the alternate Evil Empire. I said back when they started spending a lot of money and won a World Series that the "lovable underdog" days were over. Not many teams could have afforded to take a chance on the 42 year old John Smoltz at $5.5 million plus $35,000 a day, only to cut him in August.

And the Mets would be an Evil Empire if they weren't so inept. Think Cuba in the 1970s.

On this big-market little-market stuff: We all know the disadvantages of living in a big city like New York. It's crowded and things are more expensive. Look how much more it cost to build YS than in other cities. So no one who puts up with it should have to apologize for the advantages of high density and media concentration.

Some cities don't do well because baseball can't be supported there. The Tampa Bay Rays had a great year and went to the World Series in 2008. Their 2009 attendance hardly budged. In fact, if the Evil Empire wasn't around (when the Yankees came in their attendance soared), it would've been worse.

Many organizations use the luxury tax the Yankees spread around the league to pave the parking lot instead of on player contracts.

Teams set their game times to the Yankees. It used to be that when a team was on the road, Thursday was a day game so the road team had time to travel to the next city. Yankees regularly play Thursday night games (more revenue) on the road.

Back in the days of the reserve clause, before free-agency dramatically increased player salaries, the Yankees were even more dominant than today. In 12 years between 1947 and 1958, the Yankees appeared in 10 World Series, and 7 of those were subway-series. NYC attracted baseball players. Someone wrote a Faustian Broadway play, Damn Yankees, followed by a film adaption.

MLB attendance has steadily increased since the Yankees returned to the playoffs.

One of the problems with the NBA today is that the Knicks suck.

Several baseball franchise owners are idiots.

Salary cap: Is it the Yankees that don't want a salary cap (they don't care) or the players? Joe Mauer should sign a long-term contract with the Twins. He grew up in the area and is the face of the franchise. He could have a great career and financial security in Minnesota. If he chooses free agency, he would make a lot more money, and set off a historic bidding war between the Yankees and Red Sox. So will "good guy" Joe turn out to be Evil Joe?

Screw Kansas City. :)

antinimby
December 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
This last World Series had the highest TV ratings since 2004 (helped in part by the carry over excitement from the epic Yankees-Red Sox LCS no doubt), meaning that without the Yankees, baseball would be in do-do.

That means that all those teams (no offense to White Sox, Cardinals, Phillies, Rays, Rockies, Astros and even the 2007 Red Sox bu they just don't get people's juices flowing like the Yankees have the ability to do) did not do anything for the country's baseball fans.

All of those teams that previous article such as Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, their fans lost interest not because of the Yankees but because of their own failing teams.

Every time the Yankees come to town to play their teams, the fans pack their stadiums. Sometimes the Yankees' visit is the biggest thing to happen to those teams for the year.

ZippyTheChimp
December 14th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Toronto, Philadelphia, and Seattle in trade for Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and prospects.

Phillies: They get Halladay from Toronto. When word came out the Halladay was in Philadelphia for a physical, it was assumed that he was being added to the existing rotation. But the Phillies are sending their ace Cliff Lee to Seattle, plus prospects. Lee is 15 months younger than Halladay. The assumption is that the Phillies couldn't work out an extension for Lee, who in in the last year of his contract. No details, but some agreement was probably worked to extend Halladay's contract. If not, the deal would be pointless.

Mariners: They get Cliff Lee for one year at a bargain $9 million. I think Lee and Felix Hernandez as 1-2 in the rotation, plus the earlier signing of Figgins, makes Seattle the team to beat in the AL West. Seattle sends prospects to Toronto.

The downside for Seattle is that both Lee and Hernandez are free agents at the end of next year. If they don't sign them and they go elsewhere, Seattle gets draft picks in compensation. Looks like Seattle is going for it all in 2010. Pressure on the Angels.

Seattle still needs hitting, though. They led the league in ERA in 2009, but were last in runs scored.

Blue Jays: A boatload of prospects from Philly and Seattle. Assuming they weren't going to be able to resign Halladay after 2010, they get prospects for one year service.

Downside is they lost their two best pitchers in consecutive years. Can't be good for attendance.

Yankees and Red Sox:Happy to see Halladay out of the AL East.

Rumor is that Red Sox are close to signing John Lackey, but are drifting farther apart from Jason Bay. Don't be surprised if the Yankees make a move on Bay, which may be why Damon's agent was given two weeks to make a decision. I heard Boras wants 3 years at $13 million per, and the Yankees won't go higher than about $8 million per for 2 years.

JCMAN320
December 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Matsui has walked and is on his way to the Angels for a reported 6.5 Mil for one year. Yanks-Angels Opening Day April 13th a Tuesday. Matsui is going to pull a Pat Burrell being in an Angels uniform recieving his ring.

hbcat
December 14th, 2009, 10:33 PM
Here's the latest:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091214&content_id=7808178&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

First Wang and now Matsui. The Yankees just lost pretty much their entire audience in East Asia, unless these story lines change quickly.

Flags at double half mast.

ZippyTheChimp
December 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I said before the playoffs began that I hope the Yanks win the WS so Matsui would finally get a ring. I figured it was going to be tough for him to find significant playing time.

He will probably be the Angels' full time DH. Next year on the Yanks, the DH will be a parking spot, shared by Posada, Damon, and half-day off for the regulars. Unable to play the OF because of his knees, he would have spent lots of time on the bench.

He played in 142 games in 2009. Even without playing the field, he needed time off during the season to get his knee drained. His batting improved when he returned to the lineup. The big problem is the left knee, which had surgery late in 2008. Left leg helps generate power for a lefty, and a lot of pressure is put on the knee.

First year: In the 2003 home opener, Matsui hit a grand slam in the 5th inning.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/photo/2009/12/15/20091215-MATSUI/10740707.JPG

Final year: In 2009, Matsui hit .615 with 3 home runs and 8 RBI in the World Series.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/images/photo/2009/12/15/20091215-MATSUI/31334821.JPG

MVP
Parade
Ring
Not too bad.
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/12/14/sports/31375285.JPG

antinimby
December 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM
The Yankees now need to go after a big bat (Matt Holliday) to hit behind ARod and a premiere starting pitcher (Ben Sheets) to go in their number 3 or 4 slot in the rotation and they'll be all set.

Please Cashman, don't re-sign Damon (watch, after I say this, he'll probably do exactly just that :mad:).

ZippyTheChimp
December 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Last week in an article after the winter meetings, possible moves by teams were listed.

The Yankees were quiet after Granderson. It was stated, "And sitting way out there on the scenic overlook are the Yankees. Just lurking, but ready to pounce."

Yankees have contacted Jason Bay's reps. The front runners are the Angels, Mets, and Mariners. for some reason, Boston hasn't locked him up. Remember Tex last year; that was late.

Yanks will definitely add a pitcher, and maybe another trade. I'm leaning toward Gardner now. His speed make him attractive to other teams, but I see him more as a bench player than an extra outfielder. Speed doesn't get you in the lineup if you don't get on base.

ZippyTheChimp
December 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Word is out that Yanks are close to signing Nick Johnson to a one-year contract at $5.5 million. DH and 1B when Tex needs a day off.

Can't see any room for Damon.

Interest in Bay seems to have subsided.

A couple of reasons why there's reluctance to give a long-term deal to a left fielder:

1. Carl Crawford: Unless the Rays resign him, he'll be a fee agent at the end of next year.

2. Jeter: Yanks will do whatever it takes to keep Jeter the rest of his career. SS is the #1 position affected by age. Switch with A-rod wouldn't work out. He's only 13 months younger than Jeter. It would weaken both positions. 1B is locked up long term with Tex.

That leaves the OF, specifically LF.

antinimby
December 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
So who's playing left field next year? Melky/Gardner platoon?

ZippyTheChimp
December 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
^
Well, if Damon goes and no one is signed, I don't think either Cabrera or Gardner can be traded. The outfield would be Swisher, Granderson, and Cabrera/Gardner. Don't forget the rule 5 guy they got, Hoffmann. He filled in for the Dodgers when Manny was suspended; he's supposed to be good defensively.

ZippyTheChimp
December 22nd, 2009, 12:18 PM
December 22, 2009, 10:22 am

Yanks Trade Cabrera to Braves and Acquire Vazquez

By TYLER KEPNER

Moving aggressively to fortify their rotation, the Yankees have acquired the right-hander Javier Vazquez from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for outfielder Melky Cabrera, the left-handed reliever Mike Dunn and a prospect. The Yankees also received Boone Logan, a left-handed reliever, in the deal.

Vazquez will join C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett and Andy Pettitte in a rotation that will be loaded with strikeout pitchers. Vazquez had 238 strikeouts last season, second to the Giants’ Tim Lincecum in the National League.

Vazquez was 15-10 with a 2.87 earned run average for Atlanta last season, and has been among the most durable starters in baseball for more than a decade. In the five seasons since the Yankees traded him after the 2004 American League Championship Series, Vazquez is one of only two pitchers with 1,000 innings and 1,000 strikeouts. The other is Johan Santana of the Mets.

Vazquez was an All-Star for the Yankees in 2004, but he crumbled in the second half of that season, culminating in Game 7 of the A.L.C.S., when he gave up two home runs to Boston’s Johnny Damon, including a grand slam. His reacquisition has made for a pinstriped game of musical chairs.

Damon played the last four seasons with the Yankees, a tenure that ended when the Yankees signed Nick Johnson to be their designated hitter. Johnson is in town for a physical, and if he passes it, his one-year, $5.5 million deal will be official. Johnson was originally a Yankee, but was traded to Montreal for Vazquez after the 2003 season.

Vazquez will make $11.5 million in 2010 in the final season of a three-year, $34.5 million deal. According to The Post, the prospect the Yankees are sending to Atlanta is the right-hander Arodys Vizcaino, 19, who was 2-4 with a 2.13 E.R.A. in 10 starts for Class A Staten Island last season. Vizcaino was rated the team’s third-best prospect last week by Baseball America.

As for left field, Cabrera was expected to be the starter, and without him, the Yankees could turn to Brett Gardner, who had 26 steals and a .345 on-base percentage. Their payroll is nearing $200 million, a level they did not want to exceed, and I was told last week that the difference between Johnson’s salary and Damon’s expected salary would make it easier to acquire a starting pitcher. That is exactly what happened.

Because they’re the Yankees, it’s tough to rule anything out. But the notion that the Yankees simply must go out and splurge on Damon or Matt Holliday to fill left field is silly. They have won the World Series with Chad Curtis, Ricky Ledee, Shane Spencer and, yes, Brett Gardner in the outfield. If they give the job to Gardner or sign a stopgap/supersub kind of guy, like Mark DeRosa, it would not surprise me at all.

Copyright 2009 The New York Times Company

Javier Vazquez career stats (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml)

hbcat
March 2nd, 2010, 02:24 AM
Anybody watch games off of mlb.com? I've lost my yearly "subscription" to Yankee games now that Wang is with the Nationals, and my buddy in Kyoto has lost the broadcasts there since Godzilla will be an Angel in 2010. We are looking into alternatives. These are: 1. watching games via the net; 2. listening to games via the net. We'd rather watch.

I'm not worried about the $100 ($99.99 for a year) for the season at the mlb site, but wonder about the qualit,y etc. I have listened to games over the net with no problem. Advice, anyone?

ZippyTheChimp
March 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
^
I don't personally know anyone who has the service, but from what I've read, it's good...especially if the money isn't an issue. Negative issues seem to center around customer service.

There are some blackout restrictions in the US and other countries (including Japan), but not where you are.

hbcat
March 3rd, 2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks, Zippy. I'd pretty much decided to give it a try. Bandwidth can sometimes be a problem, but even this has been okay in the last year or two.

Bonus to the tv broadcasts -- don't have to listen to John Sterling.

ZippyTheChimp
March 3rd, 2010, 11:45 PM
March 3, 2010

Hideki Matsui Quietly Went to Angels His Way

By TYLER KEPNER

TEMPE, Ariz. — Hideki Matsui wrapped his fingers around his lips, making a megaphone with his left hand. In a deep voice that needed no translation, he bellowed a sound he did not hear often in seven seasons with the Yankees: “Booooooo!”

Matsui was guessing how the crowd would react at Yankee Stadium next month if the Yankees bestow a championship ring on a visiting player. The Los Angeles Angels, Matsui’s new team, are the first visitors to the Bronx this season, with a three-game series starting April 13.

“I don’t know what it’s going to be like,” Matsui said through his interpreter, Roger Kahlon, after an Angels practice at Tempe Diablo Stadium on Tuesday. “It’s kind of weird, because I’ll be wearing a different uniform. Will I be part of the ceremony? I don’t know if we’re all supposed to be wearing casual clothes.”

The Yankees have not announced plans for the ring ceremony, but if they recognize Matsui on the field, the fans will undoubtedly salute. He ended his Yankees tenure by winning the Most Valuable Player award in the World Series, and he left without the usual acrimony of free agency.

Believing they had gotten the best from a player with surgically repaired knees — and discounting his .615 World Series average as a small sample size — the Yankees showed no desire to bring back the 35-year-old Matsui. He did not wait for them and did not complain. He took a one-year, $6 million deal from the Angels on Dec. 14, and the Yankees made no effort to stop him.

“I made my decision to sign with the Angels before receiving any offer from the Yankees,” Matsui said. “Had I waited, I don’t know. They might have made an offer, they may not have. That part’s not very clear. But that was the situation.”

After signing Matsui, the Angels also hired Kahlon and Isao Hirooka, who was the Yankees’ coordinator of Japanese media relations. Many reporters who covered Matsui with the Yankees have also relocated. About 50 Japanese reporters are following the Angels this spring, compared with three daily beat writers from American news organizations.

The Angels won the World Series in 2002, but they are not used to such a singular focus on a player. The last time it happened, in 1982, it was another free-agent designated hitter from the Yankees.

“We haven’t had a player of that magnitude, with that type of media following, since Reggie Jackson,” said Tony Reagins, the Angels’ general manager. “It’s an adjustment for us and for our clubhouse, but it’s not going to be a distraction.”

For Reagins, Matsui was an appealing alternative to the incumbent designated hitter, Vladimir Guerrero, who played in only 100 games last season because of injuries. With Guerrero seeking a two-year contract, the Angels made their offer to Matsui, giving him one day to decide. Matsui pounced on the offer, and Guerrero, 35, eventually signed with the Texas Rangers for one year and $6.5 million.

Matsui was one of two Yankees coming off four-year, $52 million contracts. The idea of a pay cut initially offended the other, Johnny Damon, who took until last week to sign for one year and $8 million with Detroit. Matsui took less but signed earlier, accepting his standing in the market.

“At least for me, personally, it doesn’t really bother me,” Matsui said. “You have to take into consideration what the current market is and also your worth as a player, how teams assess you. My market price four or five years ago was different because my age was different.”

He added: “In my mind, it wasn’t so much about money. It was more about the situation, the conditions, going to a winning team, and also having the opportunity to play every game, hopefully. And then also — whether I can do it or not, putting that aside — at least having a chance to play the outfield. That is what really drove my decision.”

The Yankees did not allow Matsui to play in the field last season, and resisting the temptation worked well. But Angels Manager Mike Scioscia said he hoped to use Matsui in the field twice a week to rest another outfielder, like Bobby Abreu.

Matsui has increased his running this week, taking side-to-side routes on fly balls, and Scioscia said he could tell that Matsui wants to be a complete player again. But the Angels, like the Yankees, will tread carefully.

“We don’t want to play him in the outfield and put at risk anything he’s going to do in the batter’s box,” Scioscia said. “He’s out there, he’s moving in drills maybe earlier than we had anticipated. But he has a ways to go.”

Matsui is already comfortable in the clubhouse. He played with Abreu and Juan Rivera on the Yankees and has known Torii Hunter since an all-star event in Japan in 2002. Matsui and Hunter have adjoining lockers.

“He’s got a really good sense of humor,” Hunter said. “It’s unbelievable. I’ve been bringing him up in our meetings at 9:30 every morning. It’s like a comedy show. He gets us warmed up, laughing, cracking up, sweating, and we go out on the field happy. He fits right in. He told me, ‘Man, I feel comfortable here.’ ”

Matsui left indelible memories in New York, from the grand slam in his first home game to the comeback against Boston in the 2003 playoffs, from his gruesome 2006 wrist injury to his World Series triumph. But he has made a clean break, he said, and while he retains his apartment in New York, there is nothing related to baseball he will miss.

“Once I made my decision, it was clear,” Matsui said. “I was ready to move on.”

Copyright 2010 The New York Times Company

ZippyTheChimp
March 4th, 2010, 01:35 PM
don't have to listen to John Sterling.Only man in the world that makes me appreciate Michael Kay.

TREPYE
March 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
How did you listen in the late 90's??

I was actually happy they took Kay out cuz he was horrible, and I actually enjoy Sterling. Susans W.'s brown-nosing gives Kay a run for his money though. Who can ever forget the [way] over-the-top grand entrance she gave Clemens. Waldman and Kay...just nauseating.

ZippyTheChimp
March 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
^
Maybe it's the duo, but I just don't like the radio broadcasts. When I don't watch, I usually listen on YES.

Trouble with Kay is that he's on all the time. They started cutting it back a bit last year, but for a while he was doing all the between-inning promos. That plus things like Centerstage (which is sometimes quite good), it was becoming the 24 Hour Kay Network.

TV broadcasts took a hit when Jim Kaat retired. He was excellent; had a good pitcher-hitter vibe with Ken Singleton.

TREPYE
March 5th, 2010, 09:11 AM
My problem with Kay is that he does not demostrate even one iota, IMO, of objectivity; rendering his credibility as a telecaster to a near zero levels. Also, he reminds me of that prototypical office ass-kisser, yes-man whom you cant stand.

Although prone to error, Sterling is hilarious at points.

ZippyTheChimp
March 5th, 2010, 09:31 AM
My problem with Kay is that he does not demostrate even one iota, IMO, of objectivity;So you've gotten past Sterling's homer status?

If you want objectivity, there's always ESPN Sunday night. Then you'd have to put up with that John Miller, the most irritatingly inane broadcaster in all sports. "What are you talking about; would you please just shut up?" Of course he never does.

hbcat
March 5th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I know Sterling's signature calls bug some people, but that is not the problem for me. It's the mistakes -- gets names wrong, misjudges plays, forgets counts, innings, and on and on -- it's just embarrassing. And unlike Rizutto, he doesn't make up for his lapses with endearing tales of yore or with true, fun-loving pizzaz. Listening to the Scooter wax on about cannolis -- and of course, Bill White actually did pay attention and managed to keep things from getting too silly -- was always kind of fun. Or am I just being sentimental?

ZippyTheChimp
March 31st, 2010, 01:17 PM
March 30, 2010, 11:59 pm

Bloggers Assess the 2010 Yankees, Part 1

By JUSTIN SABLICH

As opening day draws near, The Times will be previewing the Yankees’ and Mets’ seasons from all angles, with analysis from Tyler Kepner, Ben Shpigel, David Waldstein and others. But with so much happening this off-season, there are a lot of opinions to go around. As we did last season, we have reached out to some Yankees and Mets bloggers for their thoughts on the 2010 season.

Winning the World Series did not stop the Yankees from making significant changes this off-season. While the core of their offense and rotation stayed the same, they said goodbye to the veteran fan favorites Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon while adding an All-Star in Curtis Granderson, among other moves. Can the Yankees become the first team to repeat as champions since the last Yankees dynasty?

Offering opinions on these issues and others are: Benjamin Kabak, a blogger at River Avenue Blues, who also maintains a transit blog at Second Avenue Sagas; Cliff Corcoran, an author of Bronx Banter on the SNY Blog Network and a contributor to SportsIllustrated.com; and Steve Lombardi, who has been blogging about the Yankees since 2005 at Was Watching.

Q. What off-season move do you wish the Yankees made, and why? And what move do you wish they didn’t made?

Benjamin Kabak: The move I wish they made and the one I’m not a big fan of are one and the same. I wish the Yanks had made the move to bring back Johnny Damon. I understand that the negotiation breakdown rests largely on the shoulders of Damon and Scott Boras. They seemed to have misread the market, and the Yankees had to move on without him. I think, however, that for 2010 at least, Damon’s presence would have left me feeling more settled about left field. That said, I can easily see him regressing to the point where I’ll be glad the Yanks don’t bring him back. His defense is suspect; his arm is nonexistent; and his bat rested heavily on the left-handed-friendly short porch at the new Yankee Stadium.

Beyond that, it’s hard to hate the other moves. They acquired Javier Vazquez for a fourth outfielder and a 19-year-old with high upside. They landed Curtis Granderson by trading from their young pitching depth. Bringing back Nick Johnson should pay dividends as long as he can stay on the field. I’m not the biggest fan of Randy Winn or Marcus Thames, but I can’t complain too much about the 24th and 25th men on the Yanks’ roster.

Steve Lombardi: My answer to both these questions is connected. Coming into the 2010 season, I felt the Yankees’ biggest need was to get a No. 2 starter to follow C.C. Sabathia in the rotation — pushing A.J. Burnett into the third slot and Andy Pettitte into the forth slot. Instead, Brian Cashman went out and got Vazquez. As good as he was last season, Vazquez is not a No. 2 starter in the American League East. So, in my opinion, the Yankees will now have an “ace” this season (Sabathia) followed by three pitchers who are more like a No. 3 or No. 4 starter. And, that might not be enough to keep up with Boston’s and Tampa Bay’s rotations.

Cliff Corcoran: I think the Yankees missed a big opportunity with Matt Holliday. Yes, it would have been another massive contract, but they had $26 million coming off the books with the end of the Damon and Matsui contracts alone, and their farm system is extremely thin when it comes to noncatching position players. For the same reason I thought they needed to sign Mark Teixeira a year ago (the perfect player available at a position of organizational need), I think Holliday is a player they will come to regret passing on like they did Carlos Beltran. Many have speculated that the Yankees didn’t pursue Holliday because they are targeting Carl Crawford after this season, but I believe Holliday is a much better player than the overrated Crawford and that whatever money the Yankees throw at Crawford next winter would have been better spent on Holliday this past off-season.

On a smaller scale, I thought they should have brought either Damon or Hideki Matsui back on a one-year deal (which is all either got elsewhere) to be the designated hitter. I’m very pessimistic about Johnson. I don’t believe he’ll stay healthy, and even if he does, I’m not confident in his ability to hit for power. Kevin Long has worked with Johnson to get more power in his swing, and that has yielded impressive results thus far in spring training, but hope springs eternal in March. Doing it in the regular season over 140 or so games is another story. Speaking of which, Johnson has played only 140 games in a single season once in his pro career and already missed some time this spring after tweaking his back because he was wearing the wrong shoes. I think the Yankees are going to experience a significant drop in production from the D.H. spot and could very easily find themselves needing 100 games at the position from a rookie such as Juan Miranda (who could platoon with Thames) or Jesus Montero.

Q. The lack of star power in the outfield might make some Yankees fans nervous. Does this concern you at all? Will the Yankees regret not bringing back Johnny Damon?

Corcoran: If you include D.H. in the “outfield” picture, yes, but limiting the discussion to the three outfield positions alone, I don’t see much difference between last year’s outfield and this year’s version. Nick Swisher is still there. Brett Gardner should be as good or better than Melky Cabrera, with Winn as a competent backup, and I think Granderson will be as valuable as Damon if not more so in large part because of the upgrade on defense. Granderson is coming off his worst season in the last three years and moving out of Comerica, which is hell on left-handed power hitters, and into a park that is very friendly for all hitters with power. He could easily see an increase in production, but even if he doesn’t, Damon was so bad in the field last year that having Granderson (or Gardner, or Winn) in left field should make up the difference between Granderson’s bat and what Damon gave the Yankees last year.

Kabak: As much as I think the Yanks would have benefited from bringing back Damon, I don’t think they suffer from a lack of star power in the outfield. Granderson is a very solid fielder, and with his power stroke, he’ll enjoy hitting at Yankee Stadium. Swisher is good in the field and a high on-base guy who fills out the bottom of the order. The jury is out on Gardner’s bat, but he can cover a lot of ground in left field. With the offense they generate from the infield, the outfielders they have will be more than enough, and I think those who currently are underrating the outfielders will be in for a surprise this summer.

Lombardi: Considering the ultimate price tag ($8 million for one year), it may have been the prudent move to bring Damon back for a year. But, then again, there was that “budget” concern which we heard so often. It may just be conventional wisdom on my part, but it seemed like Damon was in the middle of things happening last season more times than not. For the record, his OPS in wins was over .900 and he batted .245 in games that the Yankees lost. Can Granderson replace Damon’s production? Will Swisher duplicate all his clutch home runs? If you think yes to both, then, no need to be nervous. If you’re not thinking yes, you’re not feeling groovy about the Yankees’ outfield bats. Then again, New York does get a ton of pop from their infield – more so than most teams.

Q. I’ve taken a lot of heat in the past from our readers, and readers all over the Internet, for stating that Joba Chamberlain belongs in the bullpen. These days, I seem to have a few more fans agreeing with me than I used to, with Phil Hughes beating out Chamberlain for the fifth starter spot, but the debate rages on. Which of the two is better suited to be the Yankees’ fifth starting pitcher this season?

Kabak: Both pitchers are perfectly suited for the starting rotation, and both pitchers should be given a fair shot at starting. That said, I’m very mystified by the Yanks’ thinking. At River Ave. Blues, we’ve long been supporters of giving the young pitchers a chance to start. After all, top-notch starting pitching doesn’t grow on trees, and the Yanks have a rare (for them) opportunity to develop two front-line pitchers out of kids who are both under 25. These two have spent their careers starting and should be doing so in the majors.

That said, the Yanks’ decision — seemingly made before spring training — to go with Hughes boggles my mind. I love Hughes; I’m ecstatic to see him in the rotation; but after the Yanks yanked Chamberlain around for the better part of three seasons, they’re willing to move him into the pen for all of 2010. Brian Cashman says he’ll still be a starter when the Yanks need pitchers in 2011, but I’m beginning to doubt the team’s willingness to develop a plan and stick to it for their young pitchers.

Corcoran: I think both should be starters, so I’m not going to pick one over the other. Going into this season, however, I think Chamberlain should have gotten the fifth-starter job because he was finally ready to take on a 200-inning workload. Putting Chamberlain back in the bullpen now could mean that all of the Joba-rules shenanigans of the last two years, which resulted in a less than optimal performance from Chamberlain in those seasons, were for naught. The big question now is whether or not the organization still views Chamberlain as a starter-in-waiting, which I strongly believe they should. If so, their big challenge this year is going to be getting him 150-odd innings during the regular season in order to allow him to be a full-time, 200-inning starter next year and beyond. Given the overall strength of the Yankee bullpen, I’d rather see Chamberlain pitch in the Triple-A rotation until a spot opens up in the majors than see his workload shrivel in short relief in the majors. That would also open up a spot in the major league pen for Mark Melancon.

Lombardi: Hughes still needs to demonstrate that he can consistently handle major league batters in a game after the lineup turns over one or two times. It’s one thing to face a batter one time in a contest. It’s another when he’s facing you for the second or third time in a game. Can Hughes call upon the cutter and/or changeup to give the batters a different look? The Yankees now think that he can do it. But they’re also partly basing that confidence on his spring training performance — which is often a mistake. Also, can Hughes make it through a full season as a starting pitcher without landing on the disabled list? When was the last time that happened? Then again, Chamberlain may be working his way out of favor with the Yankees’ brass too. At this junction, I’m not sure if either of them is suited for this role over the long term.

Q. For the most part, the Yankees avoided major health issues with their aging core players last season, especially in the second half. Do you think they’ll be as lucky this season and do they have the depth to survive if they’re not?

Corcoran: Well, there was Rodriguez’s hip, but that only cost him a month or so. You’re right, they were very fortunate last year. I certainly don’t think that can be repeated, but they’ve deleted Damon and Matsui from that list of aging veterans, so there’s less risk on this year’s roster. Jeter, Posada, perhaps Rodriguez, and the ever-fragile Johnson and Burnett are all risks due to age or injury history, and there’s not much depth behind the nonpitchers save perhaps for Jesus Montero as a D.H. Still, I think they can reasonably expect Jeter and Rodriguez to stay healthy, though Jeter is sure to regress from his outstanding 2009 season. Posada only played 111 games last year and should be limited to a similar workload, designed to keep him healthy this year, and Burnett has now stayed healthy for two seasons in a row, a first for him, so there’s a bit more optimism there than there was heading into last year. Last year they survived injuries that essentially wiped out the entire seasons of Chien-Ming Wang, Xavier Nady and Damaso Marte. Those weren’t core players, and they had depth behind all of them (though they declined to use it in Wang’s case). I think they could survive a similar degree of difficulty this year, but not much more.

Lombardi: The Yankees did have a somewhat historic situation last season getting production from players aged 35 or older. Can they be that lucky again? I’m not sure. And the Yankees’ bench? Have you seen their choices this year in terms of a fourth outfielder and backup infielder? If Swisher goes down, for the season, early, you’re looking at Winn or Gardner as a starting replacement. Basically, you’re punting 25 homers there. And, if A-Rod, Jeter or Cano is lost for the year, they will be replaced by Ramiro Pena. That’s a huge offensive loss. At least Swisher and Cano are younger than A-Rod and Jeter. The biggest concern should be around Rodriguez. Yes, he says his hip is fine now. But, if it goes, then there goes your third baseman and your cleanup hitter.

Kabak: I worry about the depth if injuries strike, but what team has a bench of All-Stars to back up their starters who are also All-Stars? Basically, the team’s depth comes from their starters. The Yankees have the starting depth to cover for an injury. If Posada gets injured, the rest of the offense can still carry the team, and Francisco Cervelli is definitely a better defensive catcher. If someone such as Jeter or A-Rod goes down for a long period of time, the Yankees’ bench, as any team’s would, will be exposed. Still, the Yanks have been without their star players before, and the team has managed to persevere.

Check back on Thursday for Part 2 of the discussion.

hbcat
March 31st, 2010, 08:52 PM
Prognosticating is fun since it's all we can do during the last days of spring training, but you know another issue will be on everyone's mind in six weeks, three months, and in October.

Here we go (and just because it is wish fulfillment): Wang will have a bounce-back year after returning to the Nationals in June, and the Yankees will offer him a healthy free agent contract for 2011-2014.

ZippyTheChimp
April 4th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Are you wired for games?

hbcat
April 5th, 2010, 11:39 PM
So far so good. The mlb subscription seems to work nicely, but the first game was televised on the regional ESPN channel anyway.

Game was sucky though.

ZippyTheChimp
April 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Th game belonged to the Yankees, but opening day ceremonies belonged to Gene Monahan and Hideki Matsui.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0413/ny_g_monahang_400.jpg

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Ailing Monahan positive about prognosis

By Ian O'Connor
ESPNNewYork.com

NEW YORK -- Gene Monahan started his Opening Day with a radiation treatment, and punctuated it with the thrill of his distinguished baseball life.

The longtime Yankees trainer, who told ESPNNewYork.com he is suffering from throat and neck cancer, received an extended standing ovation from the Yankee Stadium crowd immediately following Joe Girardi's introduction, when Monahan was called onto the field during the pregame ring ceremony.

With Monahan standing near first base, and with Jorge Posada asking host Michael Kay of 1050 ESPN Radio to delay the rest of the introductions, Posada and his teammates moved to the dugout railing and joined the fans' salute as an emotional Monahan waved and patted his heart.

"The toughest part of this has been missing my family here," said the 65-year-old Monahan, who has worked in the Yankees organization for 48 years and was making his 38th consecutive Opening Day appearance with the big club.

"This particular group is very special because it looks out for each other, and they certainly looked out for me. Everybody stayed in touch, they sent me videos, and they told me to stay strong.

"I didn't want to come. I didn't want to be a distraction. I didn't want to be in the way, but I got convinced by everybody it was important to stop by and say hello and let the guys know I'm here to help out in any way I can until I get back."

Monahan said that he had surgery in January to remove his tonsils, and that he's been undergoing treatment at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center. He endured his latest treatment Tuesday morning before arriving at the Stadium.

"I finish my radiation next Monday; it will be my 30th radiation," Monahan said. "I'll see my surgeon six weeks after I'm done with that, and then we're off to our next point of attack.

"I've got a good prognosis and I'm very optimistic. I just want to get back to work with these guys and contribute and see what we can do this summer. I think we've got a great chance and a great bunch."

Monahan said that he's been receiving a daily injury report from his assistant, Steve Donohue, and that he's fielded encouraging calls and text messages from the likes of Posada, Girardi, Derek Jeter, CC Sabathia and Reggie Jackson.

"The last three or four days have been tough, and I've still got a long way to go," Monahan said. "But I'm very positive about beating this."

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/04/13/sports/13yankees1-cnd/13yankees1-cnd-popup.jpg

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5iBjtq3TLMoNFIpIu2NH3Vq8G3V9A?size=l

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5hXl_aT3sYNvceWKTtmNL1taoliLA?size=l

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/media/ALeqM5hqwY2w54nUNStnCTer0MzTqYsRMA?size=l

April 13, 2010

Opening Day Homecoming for Matsui

By GEORGE VECSEY

The old place is just a shell now, on its way down. The new place is acquiring its own character, its own history. Yankee Stadium never lacks for great moments.

With a cold November still echoing in the eaves, a chilly April came around on Tuesday, bringing one of the great moments for the new place.

Hideki Matsui came home.

He had joked that the fans would boo him, but that was ballplayer humor, to hide the bonds he has to this place, to this team.

“Yankee fans are not complicated at all,” Matsui said before the game. “They want their team to win.”

They do, but over the years the fans have also come to expect the emotional moments and the odd moments with the 27 championships — Lou Gehrig’s speech, Babe Ruth’s multiple farewells, Billy Martin’s comings and goings. Brian Cashman, the general manager, recalled Phil Rizzuto’s being knocked down by a cow — a holy cow, of course — while being honored at home plate.

Stuff happens in this part of the Bronx, including the fake ring a certain captain arranged to be handed to Matsui. In his politeness, however, Matsui did not open the box to inspect the ring, so the scam of giving him a spring training gimcrack did not faze him. Well, nothing fazes Matsui, even an 0-for-5 day, even Chan Ho Park’s throwing two pitches near his knees with two strikes on him — normal baseball, on a day when Mariano Rivera preserved a 7-5 victory.

The fans had it both ways at the home opener, with Matsui — a classic Yankee the first time he ever put on the stripes — coming back in the gray road uniform of the Angels. It was the first time he had been back since driving in six runs in the sixth and clinching game of the World Series.

Now, through the gods of baseball scheduling, Matsui received his World Series ring with his old teammates in a pregame ceremony in one of the new great moments in the new Yankee Stadium.

Actually, there were three touching moments. First was when the 2009 Yankees were introduced, starting with the longtime trainer Gene Monahan, who is not working this spring while battling an undisclosed illness. Monahan was introduced first and jogged onto the infield dirt, alone. The hip fans realized this was a chance to salute him, and they did, bringing tears to his face.

Then there was the third great moment, with Bernie Williams becoming only the ninth former Yankee to throw out the first ball in the home opener. Bernie bounced one in the dirt, but the fans cheered him, anyway.

But this was Matsui’s day, in honor of his seven fat years, culminating in his 8-for-13 performance in the Series with three homers and eight runs batted in.

Going on 36, signed to a one-year, $6 million contract, Matsui displayed no bitterness about the business decision not to bring him and his ancient knees back.

“On the other hand, the Yankees had their perspective; I understand,” he said through his interpreter, Roger Kahlon, who moved with him to California. Matsui was honored to be back; that simple.

Before the game, Derek Jeter was prodded to tell us something new about Matsui — two people not known for giving up clubhouse gossip, or much of anything else.

“He is totally fluent in English,” Jeter told the reporters. “He knows everything you guys are saying,” which could be true. Matsui has been known to drop one-liners in English to American reporters he knows.

Asked what he remembered most about Matsui, Jeter said: “When he broke his wrist, he apologized to his teammates. Never saw that before.”

Jeter was asked to compare his five World Series rings to Yogi Berra’s 10.

“I tell him that all the time,” Jeter said with a sly smile. “He went right to the World Series” — a reference to the old way of having pennant winners meet in the sunlight of early October. Jeter figured Berra’s 10 rings were the equivalent of his five rings — like dog years compared to human years. He also gave the impression that Yogi might not agree.

Yogi and Whitey Ford were stationed near home plate before the game, distributing the 27th championship rings to members of last fall’s team. Matsui watched from the Angels’ dugout, and then it was his turn, with the new place throbbing with a warm 45-second ovation as he received first the fraudulent ring and then the real one. His band of brothers trotted from the infield dirt and engulfed Matsui, hugging him, a red-capped blur in a swarm of white and dark blue.

“I am deeply moved by this,” Matsui said later. “I will always remember this.”

Matsui batted in the first, a runner on base, and struck out on a tentative swing. Catcher Jorge Posada, who had urged fans to cheer Matsui, took a half-step to his left and patted his friend. Then they went their separate ways in this new place, which now had a few more touching moments of its own.

E-mail: geovec@nytimes.com

hbcat
April 14th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Zippy et al:

Did you get to watch the ring ceremony? This is one thing about the mlb.com webcasts; there are no "extras". I know its kind of corny, but I would have liked to see it.

ZippyTheChimp
April 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
It was tremendous.

Video is posted at YouTube in 2 parts. It's the actual YES Network telecast. Don't know how long they will stay up; already removed at another site.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec-fZylQQxI part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYMNKnxVYDQ part 2

hbcat
April 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Perfect, Zippy. I enjoyed every minute of that. Much appreciated.

NYatKNIGHT
April 14th, 2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.bronxbaseballdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/yankees-2009-world-series-ring.jpg

Now onto 2010!

hbcat
April 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM
I was unaware that "...the Yankees had gone 6,632 consecutive regular-season games...without turning a triple play."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100422&content_id=9500056&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Next time, when I am 93, I will wait for the commercial before leaving the game to toast my pumpkin-seed bread.

ZippyTheChimp
April 27th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Yankee core players have met three presidents.

Is that like...tenure?

antinimby
May 1st, 2010, 08:11 PM
Granderson out with a hamstring. Vazquez can't pitch. Nick Johnson can't hit. Middle relief weak. Girardi overmanages.

Things are not looking so good right now.

hbcat
May 2nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
New York 16 8 .667

ZippyTheChimp
May 2nd, 2010, 05:51 PM
Things are not looking so good right now.

Last year at this time. (http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/2009-schedule-scores.shtml)

antinimby
May 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
You guys do realize that I wasn't talking about their win-loss record, right?

Anyway, I guess I was a bit premature in my doom and gloom because they sure had a bounce-back game today.

Gardner is emerging as a star. Cano is an MVP candidate. Hughes a Cy Young candidate.

antinimby
May 2nd, 2010, 10:06 PM
By the way, how 'bout those Red Sox getting swept by the lowly Orioles?

http://forums.neons.org/images/smilies/grin.gif

ZippyTheChimp
May 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
You guys do realize that I wasn't talking about their win-loss record, right?I figured that.

If you look through the list , I think it shows that there were more problems at this point last year, something that gets forgotten with 103 wins and a WS.

The veterans wind up hitting what's on the back of their baseball cards. Can't do anything about injuries. The only big problem is Vasquez. If he doesn't straighten out soon and Hughes keeps pitching well, they'll drop him down in the rotation.

No such luxury last year. Wang was the #2. Look at his first 3 starts. When he went on the DL, there wasn't any definite 5th starter to move up. The bullpen except for Rivera and Aceves was a mess. With Hughes going to the pen (which I think saved the season), the 4th starter was Chamberlain & Committee. That problem remained through post-season.

Not saying anything about the Sox until next weekend.

antinimby
May 3rd, 2010, 12:45 PM
I actually think their bullpen last year was stronger than this year at least middle relief. They had a very effective David Robertson and a very good Phil Coke, who right now is pitching lights out for Detroit.

This year, Robertson is struggling, Marte as usual is shaky and Aceves is inconsistent. I really think this is their weak spot - middle relief.

Speaking of that Detroit trade, Austin Jackson is on fire. At this point, I'd have to say Detroit got the better end of that Granderson trade.

hbcat
May 4th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Your concern isn't misguided at all, but it is a looong season. Right now giving up Matsui, Damon, and Jackson, and signing on Johnson, Granderson, and Vazquez, is looking pretty dumb. The situation may stay this lopsided all season, but I think Johnson and Granderson (once he returns from the DL) will start hitting sooner or later. Vazquez looks lost though, and that might not change. Fortunately Hughes is pitching like a young ace.

hbcat
May 4th, 2010, 12:15 AM
By the way, how 'bout those Red Sox getting swept by the lowly Orioles?

http://forums.neons.org/images/smilies/grin.gif

Indeed. Even with their beat up on LAA today the Sox are looking wobbly. Tampa Bay may be the real challenge this year.

ZippyTheChimp
May 4th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I actually think their bullpen last year was stronger than this year at least middle relief.I think you're confusing the first 5 weeks of the season (where we are now) with later on.

They had a very effective David Robertson and a very good Phil Coke,Robertson made one relief appearance until May 2nd. His ERA was 5.5. He wasn't a factor at all in the first 6 weeks. Coke and Bruney each gave up 2 ER on opening day at Baltimore. A week later at KC, Coke blew the game.

Middle relief in the early season comprised people like Veras (ERA in the teens), Edwar Ramirez (I don't need another pitch; they'll just keep swinging at my changeup), and Albaladejo.

Rivera was coming off shoulder surgery, and couldn't be leaned on. His velocity was down early in the season, and he already gave up 4 home runs, more than his average for a season.

Hughes wasn't put in the bullpen to make room for Wang. That's not what you do with a 22 year old starting pitcher; you send him down to the minors so he can pitch regularly - unless there's a problem in the bullpen. He was put there for middle relief, where he would at least get more innings. Becoming the set-up man was a fortunate accident.

If the bullpen was solid, I doubt Hughes would have stayed there when Wang was gone for the season. They needed a 5th starter, and called up Mitre, still recovering from arm surgery.

Speaking of that Detroit trade, Austin Jackson is on fire. At this point, I'd have to say Detroit got the better end of that Granderson trade.Jackson may turn out to be a good player, but there's hardly a book on him. Hasn't even gone through once.

One stat jumps out at me: He's not a power hitter (not many homers in the minors and one so far this year), but he already leads the league in strikeouts.

hbcat
May 8th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Um, can we trade for Matsui now?

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100507&content_id=9865692&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

I bet no one saw this coming...

antinimby
May 8th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Nah, Matsui is an injury waiting to happen himself.

shinyredapple
May 10th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to acquire Matsui either. It would be a waste, as I think he is due for an injury.

ZippyTheChimp
May 14th, 2010, 06:11 PM
I'm listening to WFAN, and Francesa has been giving away pairs of front-row tickets to Sat and Sun games. Callers pick what Yankee player they want the question to be about.

A woman picks Jeter. You can hear her boyfriend who she would take to the game.talking in the background. She gets a rather easy question: "In what state was Jeter born?"

Her boyfriend quickly says, "Michigan," which she repeats. Francesa says, "Your boyfriend spoke too soon." She says, "Oh wait, I know this. It's New Jersey."

As they bickered, Francesa hung up and said, "It'll be a long weekend in that household."

hbcat
June 20th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Yankees alone in first for the first time since April (as I recall) --

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/standings/?tcid=nav_mlb_standings

Looks like we're in for a three-way race in the AL East, which is always fun. TB, Bosox, and NYY are the best teams in baseball.

ZippyTheChimp
June 20th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Yanks had been in first place for only two days this season.

Maybe another Subway [World] Series?

hbcat
June 21st, 2010, 01:13 AM
That would be fun. In spite of the very strong season thus far, the Yankees don't have that invincible look about them like they did after May last season or as they did in all of 1998. A measure of vulnerability also adds to the drama of course.

ZippyTheChimp
June 22nd, 2010, 11:50 AM
Last year, Yankees didn't start to turn it around until June 23rd. Two losses to FLA and 1st game at ATL, they were 5 games out, prompting a visit and meeting by Cashman. They were in first place for good on July 20th. The split at the All Star break was .580 and .703.

At this point, this year's team looks better. The difference is perception. Last year, with the three big signings, a decade without a WS, and the 8 straight losses to the Red Sox, people were apprehensive and kept quiet. This year, we expect a runaway and nitpick.

Despite all the injuries, they've been resilient and overall, have played well. HRs are down, but runs scored are about the same. Team ERA is lower by almost a run. OF defense is much better, and as a full time player, Gardner has had the opportunity to develop (got to give Girardi credit for this); who would have thought a .324/.404 BA/OBP.

Yanks need to fix Burnett, but he had the same inconsistency last year. Anyway, he's one of five starters; last year there were only three once Hughes went into the bullpen.

Need to get a replacement for Aceves in the bullpen, and cut Park loose, who has been awful. 6 HR in 21 innings. Also need to get a RH bat/OF on the bench.

hbcat
June 24th, 2010, 06:39 AM
^ I agree with most of that. The walk-off wins (14 or 15 -- somehow I know Zippy will know the number) aren't reflected in these season-long stats though. I am nitpicking, no doubt about it, and it is a matter of fan psychology more than anything else, but last season, especially in the second half I had the feeling they were going to win even when they were down, no matter what.

Favorite players to watch this season: Cervelli, Gardner, Cano, and Pettite. Cervelli's bat is quieter than it was at the start of the season, but he's got that irrepressible enthusiasm which is just great to watch. I wonder if Pettite can keep this up all year. He seems to be carrying his 2009 post-season into 2010. Mariano is a miracle.

ZippyTheChimp
June 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM
We need more pie.

but last season, especially in the second half I had the feeling they were going to win even when they were down, no matter what.That IS reflected in the stats. Yanks sailed in the 2nd half. They were up 5 by August, and no one got closer. 9 by Sept.

This year will be more exciting. 3 good teams going after (possibly) 2 playoff spots. There's already scoreboard watching with TB and Boston. Couldn't stay awake for the finish last night; now playing on Yankee Encore.

My Father's Day present is tickets to TB, on Oldtimers Day. Gotta find my #7 tee. :D

hbcat
June 26th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I guess I meant that stats showing nominal victories do not indicate how many were won in the last inning at home. Maybe we need a pie chart. :)

Burnett is still on the skids, but Park really put the game out of reach today. Cashman should admit that this one just isn't going to work out, and let Park go now. Why not give one of the other guys on the 40-man roster a shot instead of waiting for a trade? Melacon is 5-1 with a 3.00 ERA, and Albaladejo has a 1.27 at SWB.

antinimby
June 29th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Should the Yankees trade for Cliff Lee now or should they go after him in the offseason via a free agent signing?

Whaddya think?

It would be very nice to have him in our rotation. Although he won't guarantee them a World Championship, he will make the odds that much better in the Yankees' favor.

hbcat
June 29th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Depends on what Seattle would want for him. Other teams will be trying to get him too, so Lee-to-Yankees would surprise me, actually, although I'd love to see it. On the other hand, a trade for Lee might be more likely now than a month ago because the Yanks starting pitching looks more fragile than it did earlier on. Burnett is terrible right now, Hughes doesn't look as sharp as he did, and Vasquez, though better now, still has to prove himself. I agree adding him would boost NYY's playoff chances significantly.

ZippyTheChimp
June 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Not worth it for the Yankees.

Cliff Lee has already stated that he will enter the free agent market at the end of the season, so whoever trades for him will rent him for 3 months.

So Lee has no worth to a team that's not going to make the playoffs. He also has little worth to a team that's probably going to the playoffs anyway, and the Yankees are in that group. Sure, Lee would help the Yankees, but what playoff contender doesn't need more starting pitching? The question is what do you give up for a short term gain, and how does the move disrupt the team.

Seattle wants prospects, specifically a catcher. Forget about a trade of big names; Seattle is going to start over in the free agent market next season. In the meantime, they dump a salary and get future players.

Yankees have some good catcher prospects, but although he's played well, I don't think Cervelli is the future as a starting catcher. I wouldn't throw any of these AAA guys away to get a player for a few months. Also, what happens to the current rotation? Take Burnett out, and you've lost him for the duration of his contract. Yanks should just wait till the offseason, find out what Pettitte's plans are, and decide whether they should go after Lee for a long term contract.

For now, Yankees need bullpen help, and maybe a couple of veteran hitters on the bench. Last year it was Hinske and Hairston Jr.

-------------------------------------------

Mets should go after Lee. They are in the running, but clearly need another starter. I don't think Dickey is the answer.

Twins might be in the best position to work a trade. They have a good catcher in AAA, and he's blocked by Joe Mauer.

Reggie Jackson and Tommy Lasorda in the broadcast booth on Saturday. What's up with that?

eddhead
June 30th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Not worth it for the Yankees.

Cliff Lee has already stated that he will enter the free agent market at the end of the season, so whoever trades for him will rent him for 3 months.

So Lee has no worth to a team that's not going to make the playoffs. He also has little worth to a team that's probably going to the playoffs anyway, and the Yankees are in that group. Sure, Lee would help the Yankees, but what playoff contender doesn't need more starting pitching? The question is what do you give up for a short term gain, and how does the move disrupt the team.

Seattle wants prospects, specifically a catcher. Forget about a trade of big names; Seattle is going to start over in the free agent market next season. In the meantime, they dump a salary and get future players.

Yankees have some good catcher prospects, but although he's played well, I don't think Cervelli is the future as a starting catcher. I wouldn't throw any of these AAA guys away to get a player for a few months. Also, what happens to the current rotation? Take Burnett out, and you've lost him for the duration of his contract. Yanks should just wait till the offseason, find out what Pettitte's plans are, and decide whether they should go after Lee for a long term contract.

For now, Yankees need bullpen help, and maybe a couple of veteran hitters on the bench. Last year it was Hinske and Hairston Jr.

Mets should go after Lee. They are in the running, but clearly need another starter. I don't think Dickey is the answer.

Twins might be in the best position to work a trade. They have a good catcher in AAA, and he's blocked by Joe Mauer.

Mostly agree with that. Lee would be a nice luxury but pricey and unnecessary. Yankee starting pitching has been very strong this year; at any point in time, 4/5 starters are solid. BTW, the Vazquez trade is looking pretty good at the moment, although I am happy to see Melky starting to hit for the Braves. Still I like the trade.

In contrast, I never did like the Granderson deal, but Austin Jackson is coming back to earth and it is clear at least to me that he has deficiencies at the plate. Coke has pitched well for the Tigers, and we could use some middle relief depth. Jury is out on that one.

Most encouragingly, Yanks have the best record in baseball despite disappointing first halves from Texiera (especially), Jeter and A-Rod, as well as injuries to Johnson, Granderson and Posada. Gardner, Swisher, and Cervelli have really stepped up, and Cano is a first half MVP candidate. It will be interesting to see if Gardner in particular can keep the pace; in the past he has worn down in the second half of seasons. Perhaps playing LF rather than CF will help preserved his endurance.

Hughes has been a God send.

Yanks need middle relief and set-up support. Marte has been decent and Joba shows signs but needs to be more consistent. Same with Robertson. They also need a left handed bat to replace Johnson. This goes under the category of tweaking. They should be able to fill one or more of these needs without ransoming the future.

antinimby
June 30th, 2010, 12:54 PM
^ Gardner did not get "worn down in the second half of seasons." Last year was his first full season and he was injured midseason and pretty much became platooned with Melky the rest of the year. He'll be fine.

As for Lee, Al Leiter on MY9 yesterday brought up a good point. He said that if the Twins gets Lee, then the advantage goes to the Twins in a short series where they'll pitch Lee twice.

If by getting Lee just to prevent an AL contender like the Twins from getting him, I think the Yankees need to do it.

eddhead
June 30th, 2010, 04:14 PM
^ I was thinking about 2008. for some reason, I thought Gardner had more playing time in 2008 than he did, but you are right, he only played in 42 major league games.

Good point about Lee too, but the Mariners will ask an awful lot for him, and I just do not see the Yankess paying up. Nor do I think they should.

hbcat
July 1st, 2010, 05:16 AM
This is probably idle fantasy, but if the Yankees get Lee, it would mean the rotation would be crowded. Someone would have to be traded, sent to the pen, or the minors. None of the starters is going to the minors. Burnett has been about as bad as he could be for a month, but he's not going anywhere. He has a big contract and has always been streaky. Without him, NY wouldn't have won the WS last year. That leaves Hughes and Vasquez. Hughes is on an innings limit, but I am sure they want him to reach that limit nearly as much as they want to avoid him surpassing it. He's young and could be a top-notch pitcher for years to come.

That leaves Vasquez. He's never pitched out of the pen (he as one inning this season, and even that was a rarity), and it looks like he is righting himself. He might be a good chip in a trade -- maybe for a bat & some help in the pen.

If this algebra is correct, then the only way Lee comes to the Yankees is if Vazquez leave via a trade. There's no way Seattle would trade Lee for Vasquez, which means there would have to be a three-way trade or two simultaneous trades. That gets complicated, and my guess is one of the other contenders would be able to offer more with less risk of the deal falling apart. I think this means Lee will not be in pinstripes before next spring, if he ever is going to wear the uniform.

eddhead
July 1st, 2010, 09:23 AM
^
not sure what Vazquez is making this year, but according to baseball reference.com, he made $11.5Mm in 2009 which is pretty steep (in comparison, Lee made $9MM) . He is pitching pretty well right now, but given his salary I doubt there would be much demand for him in a trade.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/vazquja01.shtml

hbcat
July 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
According to the URL you just linked, he's also getting 11.5 million this season, so yes, that is another major stumbling block. It seems highly unlikely Lee is coming to NY in 2010 unless it is to pitch against one of the NY teams or for the Mets.

ZippyTheChimp
July 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
July 11, 2010

Bob Sheppard, Voice of the Yankees, Dies at 99

By RICHARD GOLDSTEIN

Bob Sheppard, whose elegant intonation as the public-address announcer at Yankee Stadium for more than half a century personified the image of Yankee grandeur, died Sunday at his home in Baldwin, on Long Island. He was 99.

His death was confirmed by his son, Paul.

From the last days of DiMaggio through the primes of Mantle, Berra, Jackson and Jeter, Sheppard’s precise, resonant, even Olympian elocution — he was sometimes called the Voice of God — greeted Yankee fans with the words, “Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

“The Yankees and Bob Sheppard were a marriage made in heaven,” said his son Paul Sheppard, a 71-year-old financial adviser. “I know St. Peter will now recruit him. If you’re lucky enough to go to heaven, you’ll be greeted by a voice, saying, ‘Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to heaven!’ ”

In an era of blaring stadium music, of public-address announcers styling themselves as entertainers and cheerleaders, Sheppard, a man with a passion for poetry and Shakespeare, shunned hyperbole.

“A public-address announcer should be clear, concise, correct,” he said. “He should not be colorful, cute or comic.”

Sheppard was also the public-address announcer for the football Giants from 1956 through 2005, first at Yankee Stadium and then at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands.

He signed a new two-year contract with the Yankees in March 2008 but was not at the stadium that season, when he was recovering from illness that brought a severe weight loss. His longtime backup, Jim Hall, replaced him.

Sheppard did not feel strong enough to attend the ceremonies marking the final game at the old Yankee Stadium on Sept. 21, 2008, but he announced the Yankee starting lineup that night in a tape recording. His recorded voice still introduces Derek Jeter at the plate, a touch the Yankee captain requested to honor Sheppard.

Sheppard was chairman of the speech department at John Adams High School in Queens and an adjunct professor of speech at St. John’s University while becoming a New York institution as a public-address announcer.

“I don’t change my pattern,” he once said. “I speak at Yankee Stadium the same way I do in a classroom, a saloon or reading the Gospel at Mass at St. Christopher’s.”

On May 7, 2000, Bob Sheppard Day at Yankee Stadium, the Yankee outfielder Paul O’Neill reflected on Sheppard’s aura.

“It’s the organ at church,” O’Neill told The Record of Hackensack, N.J. “Certain sounds and certain voices just belong in places. Obviously, his voice and Yankee Stadium have become one.”

Robert Leo Sheppard, who was born on Oct. 20, gained a passion for his calling while growing up in Queens.

“My father, Charles, and my mother, Eileen, each enjoyed poetry and music and public speaking,” Sheppard told Maury Allen in “Baseball: The Lives Behind the Seams.”

“They were very precise in how they spoke. They measured words, pronounced everything carefully and instilled a love of language in me by how they respected proper pronunciation.”

Sheppard played first base at St. John’s Prep and at St. John’s University, where he was also a quarterback.

While he was in high school, two Vincentian priests put him on the path toward a career in speech education.

“The combination there of one, the fiery orator, and the other, the semantic craftsman, probably presented a blending I wanted to imitate,” he once recalled.

Sheppard earned a bachelor’s degree in English and speech at St. John’s and a master’s degree in speech from Columbia before serving as a Navy officer during World War II.

He became a speech teacher at John Adams upon his return and served as the public-address announcer for the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Yankees of the All-America Football Conference.

He was hired by the baseball Yankees in 1951, and soon fans were hearing Sheppard’s pronunciation of “Joe Di-Mah-ggio.”

“I take great pride in how the names are pronounced,” Sheppard said. He seldom entered the clubhouses, but made certain to check directly with a visiting player if he had any doubt on the correct way to pronounce his name.

“Mic-key Man-tle” was a favorite of his, but as Sheppard once told The Associated Press: “Anglo-Saxon names are not very euphonious. What can I do with Steve Sax? What can I do with Mickey Klutts?”

He enjoyed announcing the name of the Japanese pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa and the names of Latin players, particularly pitcher Salome Barojas and infielder Jose Valdivielso.

Sheppard feared he would trip over his pronunciation of Wayne Terwilliger, an infielder who played at Yankee Stadium with the Washington Senators and Kansas City Athletics in the 1950s. “I worried that I would say ‘Ter-wigg-ler’ but I never did,” he remembered.

But there was at least one flub.

When the football Giants played their first game at the Meadowlands, against the Dallas Cowboys in October 1976, Sheppard told the crowd: “Welcome to Yankee Stadium.”

On Bob Sheppard Day -- during his 50th year with the Yankees -- he was honored at a home-plate ceremony in which Walter Cronkite read the inscription on the plaque being unveiled for Monument Park behind the left-field fence. It stated in part that Sheppard “has announced the names of hundreds of players -- both unfamiliar and legendary -- with equal divine reverence.”

He leaves behind his second wife, Mary, two sons, Paul and Chris, and two daughters, Barbara and Mary. His first wife, Margaret, the mother of all four children, died in 1959. He also leaves four grandchildren.

Sheppard had his imitators, most notably the ESPN broadcaster Jon Miller.

“One day when my wife and I were down in St. Thomas, we went into a restaurant,” Sheppard told The Village Voice in 2002. “I told the waitress, ‘I’ll have the No. 1. Scrambled eggs, buttered toast and black coffee. No. 1.’ “My wife looked at me and said. ‘You sound like Jon Miller’s imitation.’ I wasn’t conscious of the fact that I was ordering the same way I’d introduce Billy Martin.”

Joseph Berger contributed reporting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj434vCtNRw

eddhead
July 11th, 2010, 04:08 PM
I have been a Yankee fan since roughly 1966. I lived through the CBS Mike Burke era, the demise of Mantle and Ford, pre-renovated Yankee stadium, George, Munson, Messersmith, Catfish, Reggie, Mattingly, Jeter and a couple of dynasties along the way. The two mainstays throughout were Rizzuto and Sheppard; they were the keepers of the tradition and now they are both gone. It just ain't the same

Rest in Peace.

antinimby
July 13th, 2010, 10:41 AM
R.I.P. George

eddhead
July 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Say what you will, but his was an amazinrg run.

He bought the team in 1973 for $10MM - $3.2MM less than what CBS for the team when they purchased it in 1964. The franchise is now worth an estimated $1.6BN.

During his reign, the Yankess won 7 world championships and 11 pennants

First Shepperd, now Steinbrenner. Truely the end of an era

RIP

ZippyTheChimp
July 13th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The two mainstays throughout were Rizzuto and SheppardThe Scooter kept Yankee TV fans entertained throughout the Dark Years [Horace Clark, et al].

From the beginning, a trip to the Stadium began with:
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for today's game.The admonitions about stadium rules were authoritative, but kindly. He was like the facade, part of the stadium itself; you didn't imagine that he actually spoke that way.

As I grew up and began to visit other ballparks, it was sort of a shock that the PA announcer wasn't a Bob Sheppard.

He would visit first-time players at the ballpark, and ask them how to pronounce their name. He asked Robinson Cano, "Is it Robinson or Robby, and I have to tell you I prefer Robinson."

ZippyTheChimp
July 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
My Father's Day present is tickets to TB, on Oldtimers Day. Gotta find my #7 tee.Added significance this year.

I used to curse Steinbrenner, especially for the bonehead things he did in the 80s; but no doubt, he rescued the Yankees from insignificance. Sports, especially one with a long season, needs a villain. Steinbrenner made them the Damn Yankees again.

@eddhead: If you haven't already,

Steinbrenner
The Last Lion of Baseball
Bill Madden

Longtime fans will find out things they never knew; young fans will learn how they got from there to here. The way he came to buy the team is pure Steinbrenner. And then manager Ralph Houk and haircuts.

Madden has covered the Yankees since 1978, so a lot of inside stuff.

eddhead
July 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out soon.

EDIT: Your comment on Horace Clark reminded me of how he used to take the DP pivot from short left field. LOL

hbcat
July 17th, 2010, 08:17 AM
Zippy, we'll need a report. Have a good time.

ZippyTheChimp
August 3rd, 2010, 07:37 PM
^
It was steamy hot; no Yogi; they lost. Had a good time though.

If Arod doesn't hit #600 soon, I'm going to have Michael Kay kidnapped until the end of the season.

Ninjahedge
August 5th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Well he hit it, you can let Michael Kay go now.

eddhead
August 5th, 2010, 02:25 PM
^^ I for one, would prefer that you keep him as long as possible.

hbcat
August 10th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Kay is back on the air. Zippy probably had enough of him taped up in his garage.

ZippyTheChimp
August 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
John Miller (ESPN) is next.
--------------------------------------

Good two games with Texas. Like playoff games.

And G W Bush was there last night to watch the Rangers blow a five run lead.

lofter1
August 19th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Curveball: Clemens indicted for lying

POLITICO (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41263.html)
By JOHN BRESNAHAN
8/19/10

Baseball great Roger Clemens was indicted (http://www.politico.com/static/PPM156_clemens_indictment.html) Thursday by a federal grand jury on six counts of obstruction of Congress, making false statements and perjury during his 2008 appearance before a House committee on steroid use in baseball.

Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young Award winner, vehemently denied using steroids or human growth hormone when testifying before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee in February 2008.

His appearance followed the release two months earlier of a report by former Sen. George Mitchell (D-Maine) on the use of steroids and other “performance-enhancing drugs” by baseball players. The Mitchell report said the pitcher used steroids and human growth hormone in 1998 and 2000-01 while a member of the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees.

FULL ARTICLE (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41263.html)

ZippyTheChimp
August 20th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Classic example of talking yourself into prison.

Not sure who's the bigger idiot - Clemens or his lawyer.

hbcat
August 20th, 2010, 09:45 AM
If he's convicted on all six counts does he still get to keep one Cy Young?

Ninjahedge
August 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Again, as was mentioned in the past, any one that has proof of setting a record or receiving an award while "enhancing" should have that little "*" next to their name indicating the use of substances not allowed in the sport.

Until it becomes legal, no man should get a "clean" award for a skill they needed help with.

What's next? Cybernetics?

ZippyTheChimp
August 21st, 2010, 11:05 AM
If he's convicted on all six counts does he still get to keep one Cy Young?He could trade it for cigarettes in cellblock D.

hbcat
September 9th, 2010, 07:06 AM
OK, it has to be asked: Is this the beginning of the end for Jeter? He's never had such low stats so late in any season. I wouldn't be surprised if he sparkles in October or bounces back next year, but he may have to adjust to his batting style and, in the next couple of seasons, move to a corner OF spot.

Thoughts?

ZippyTheChimp
September 9th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Defensive stats are the same as last year.

As for batting, I think you'll have to wait until next year. It could be as simple as he's playing with an injury. I've noticed some cheating in the batter's box causing a loss of timing.

Or maybe too much playing time. Interesting comparison with Cano. Jeter has played in 137 games, Cano 138. With injuries to Arod, Posada, and Granderson, neither has had much time off during the season.

It's not obvious with Cano because his BA for the season is .318. But his BA at the start of June was .370. His half-season splits are 336/285, and for the last month his BA is .285. Only 2 HR in last 18 games.

NYatKNIGHT
September 9th, 2010, 11:11 AM
It's hard not to think about the end of his career coming in the next few years, he's 36, no? So I'm sure he'll have to start making some adjustments to his swing eventually if not soon to compensate for aging - they all do eventually. I'm sure he and Kevin Long have given it at least as much thought as we have.

ZippyTheChimp
September 17th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Yankees-Rays series, great baseball. One four game series at YS remaining, and if they meet in the ALCS, it should be tremendous.

BUT...

Where the hell are the Rays fans? The stadium attendance jumps a lot when the Yankees play, but much of that is because the Yankee spring training facility is across the bay, and there are a lot of Yankee fans in the area.

The Rays manager has been complaining about the catwalks under the dome affecting the outcome of games. Ownership has been lobbying for a new stadium; but if you can't fill up the place for two teams slugging it out for first place in the middle of Sept, it's time to move to a real baseball city.

hbcat
September 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I completely agree. Those three in TB were about the best games we're likely to see this season (although it could get even better, and the play-offs should be great), but with the Rays playing some of the best ball Tampa has seen in a couple of years, the stadium was little more than half full. I think I recall Kay saying there were 25-, 26- and 29,000 in attendance for the series, and judging from the shots on TV and the crowd noise, at least 25% of those were Yankee fans. Sad. All those empty seats during, what, 32 nail-biting innings and three one-run games? Jesus, what do they draw when the Rays are losing all season and Pirates are in town for a scintillating inter-league series?

NYatKNIGHT
September 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Yes, all that^, I do love it when there are a lot of Yankee fans at the away stadium, and we're about to have that advantage again in Baltimore.

Back to great baseball - even though the Yankees are in the biggest slump of the season it's been a lot of fun to watch. All those games were close, hard fought, and well played (mostly). We've seen it all - Derek Jeter acted his way onto first base which eventually scored a run! The Price-Sabathia game was a nail-biter. And that throw to third from Golson - wow. Though they've been a good team for some time now, I have slowly transitioned from condescendingly chortling of Tampa Bay to respecting them.

ZippyTheChimp
September 17th, 2010, 03:04 PM
In their last 10, the O's are 8-2. Just swept the Blue Jays. WTF?

This was supposed to be an easy break in the schedule before the Rays and the Sox.

NYatKNIGHT
September 17th, 2010, 03:30 PM
I know, WTF! They are the hottest team in baseball right now - every game on the Yankees Schedule is tough for the rest of the season. Need Pettitte ASAP.

hbcat
September 18th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I like it this way. Even if they had lost today, as they nearly did on that next-to-last pitch, and had dropped 9 of their past 11, they are not playing badly. They've lost a lot of one-run games and haven't been getting clobbered during the losses. Good psychological workout before the playoffs (I mean for the players, not for us LOL). Fingers crossed that Pettite returns strong for this last stretch and for the post-season.

ZippyTheChimp
September 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Well, that ended on a high note.

I think the game was big. The Red Sox are lurking like Bela Lugosi. Need to drive a wooden stake into them, and make them go away. If they lost and Boston won, it would have been 5 games down with 15 to play, 6 with the Sox.

antinimby
September 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
Having Gardner and Swisher back in the lineup makes a world of difference for them.

TREPYE
September 20th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Yanks' memory of The Boss set in stone

Plaque for Steinbrenner unveiled at center of Monument Park

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com | 09/20/10 9:30 PM ET
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2010/09/21/sports/21yankees_337-span/yYANKEESfloater1-articleLarge.jpg

NEW YORK -- Taking cues from the elaborate tributes that George M. Steinbrenner so relished providing for others, the Yankees unveiled a permanent monument honoring the late principal owner on Monday at Yankee Stadium.
The large tribute to Steinbrenner, who passed away on July 13 at the age of 80, was uncovered beyond the center-field fence in Monument Park during a ceremony attended by members of the Steinbrenner family, former manager Joe Torre and Commissioner Allan H. "Bud" Selig. The text of the 7-foot-wide, 5-foot-high bronze plaque -- the seventh erected in Monument Park and the first honoring an owner -- pays homage to Steinbrenner's long-standing nickname, "The Boss," and reads across its 760-pound face:

"Purchased the New York Yankees on Jan. 3, 1973. A true visionary who changed the game of baseball forever, he was considered the most influential owner in all of sports. In his 37 years as Principal Owner, the Yankees posted a Major League-best .566 winning percentage, while winning 11 American League pennants and seven World Series titles, becoming the most recognizable sports brand in the world.
http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/images/2010/07/13/wunumnYC.jpg (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/news/tributes/obit_steinbrenner_george.jsp)
Complete coverage >> (http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/mlb/news/tributes/obit_steinbrenner_george.jsp)

"A devoted sportsman, he was Vice President of the United States Olympic Committee, a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame's Board of Directors and a member of the NCAA Foundation Board of Trustees.
"A great philanthropist whose charitable efforts were mostly performed without fanfare, he followed a personal motto of the greatest form of charity is anonymity."
Preceding a video tribute traversing Steinbrenner's 37 years at the helm of the Yankees, members of the family -- including Hank, Hal, Jessica and Jennifer -- met behind home plate, with the women carrying white roses with a Yankees blue ribbon and scoreboards glowing with the words, "Remembering George M. Steinbrenner III."
Steinbrenner's widow, Joan, was walked to home plate by Commissioner Selig before the video, which opened with Steinbrenner's voice addressing his team before a Spring Training workout: "When you put the pinstripes on, you're not just putting on a baseball uniform on. You're wearing tradition and you're wearing pride. And you're going to wear it the right way."
The members of Steinbrenner's family expressed their gratitude in a written statement following the ceremony.
"We are grateful to have been able to share this night with so many special people who brought fulfillment to our father's life," the statement read. "To see all of the distinguished Yankees alumni, friends and family gathered with us was a meaningful tribute to him.
"Our father always believed that this organization was an extension of his family, and he felt our fans were the heartbeat and soul of this baseball team. His unrelenting vision and passion for success was unmatched, and we are humbled that his likeness will forever greet the people he cared so deeply for in Monument Park.
"We would like to thank everyone who came out to support our father and the Yankees tonight. He was a proud owner, but he was also a great husband, father and grandfather to us."
Four golf carts rolled along the warning track from the Yankees' dugout, with every member of the roster marching in those bright white pinstripes as an escort to center field, with former Yankees icons -- Yogi Berra, Reggie Jackson, Torre and Don Mattingly among them -- drawing applause as their images were displayed on the large center-field screen.
These fitting words for the occasion were intoned by Yankees captain Derek Jeter during the video tribute, taken from an interview on the day of Steinbrenner's passing: "How can you ever honor him enough? I think the way he'd want to do it is to win another championship."
The Yankees are following that mission plan, but on this day, Mariano Rivera lingered longer than most at the monument, appearing emotional as he took in each word of the inscription. Jackson draped his arm around Berra as they began the long walk back to the dugout, as cheers of "Let's Go Yankees" rained down from the stands.
As a nod to Steinbrenner's long association with the United States Military Academy, the cadets at West Point presented the colors, with Frank Sinatra Jr. performing the national anthem.
It was the brand of celebration that Steinbrenner was famous for creating to honor others, though as the reference to anonymous charity hints, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said that Steinbrenner likely would have felt uncomfortable seeing it for himself.
"He was the master of ceremony in celebrating others," Cashman said. "Himself was a little bit different."
But the Boss would tackle anything in the way of the moment he envisioned for his team and the fans. For example, Cashman said that it took a sizable donation to fly in Challenger the Eagle for those postseason games in the 1990s, but Steinbrenner wanted that bald eagle majestically soaring over the ballpark, no matter the cost.
"He would do it, because he thought it would make the experience that much more special for the fans," Cashman said. "It was a remarkable sight, what he would do -- whether it was Old-Timers' Day or certain events, he would go above and beyond, always. But he wouldn't be comfortable with it for himself, ever."
The presence of Torre, in particular, raised the level of the celebration. Torre's absence from Yankee Stadium following the 2007 season has been well examined, but the manager of four World Series-winning teams was invited back Friday by chief operating officer Lonn Trost. A fortuitous Dodgers off-day made his attendance a possibility.
"George put a face on this franchise that was all about winning, and very high standards to live by," Torre said. "George not only belongs -- in my opinion -- in Monument Park, but he certainly belongs in the Hall of Fame. I certainly feel very honored to be a part of this."
Hours earlier, Torre and Mattingly had added their signatures to a wall inside the Yankees' clubhouse, taking their places alongside every former player who has set foot in the new Stadium. Of course, the entire building is a tribute to Steinbrenner's thumbprint on the organization, his swirling signature embedded in its concrete foundation.
"This was his vision," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We're very fortunate to come to this ballpark and work here every day. It's so fitting that he's out there."
It was Steinbrenner's stewardship following the 1973 purchase of the franchise that raised the profile of a downtrodden organization and raised the brand value to the point where such a facility was feasible. And the Yankees are still, to this day, recognizing the impact of Steinbrenner's contributions.
"The thing that is crazy about it now is to see how many people it takes to do what he did," Cashman said. "He was the ticket director, the marketing manager, the general manager, the manager in the dugout, the stadium operations guy.
"He ran everything and told everybody what to do. He was the department head of it all. Now, I can't tell you how many people you need to replace him."
Steinbrenner's monument is the sixth honoring a member of the Yankees.
Five have been placed for Yankees players or managers -- Miller Huggins (1932), Lou Gehrig (1941), Babe Ruth (1949), Mickey Mantle (1996) and Joe DiMaggio (1999) -- and one was dedicated to commemorate the events of Sept. 11, 2001.
There are also 24 plaques displayed in Monument Park, which honor players, managers, owners and executives, public-address and broadcasting personnel, papal visits and one related to the Yankees' insignia. "It's a way for all of us to recognize him and to say, 'Thank you,'" Girardi said. "For what you've done for the city of New York, for the New York Yankees, whoever worked for him, the second chances and third chances he's given people. Thanks for being such a generous owner."

Bryan Hoch (bryan.hoch@mlb.com) is a reporter for MLB.com.

TREPYE
September 20th, 2010, 11:59 PM
This thing is HUGE. I thought it was just going to be big....it ended up being gargantuan.

Best part was the Yankees out in front escorting the family & friends to monument park. Something very moving about it.

Being a Mets fan I liked him for the most part...something I admire about the man was that he put himself out there and didn't take himself too seriously. His views on being charitable are of quintessence.

Ninjahedge
September 21st, 2010, 07:54 AM
I respect the man for his business sense and his devotion to the Yanks, but that plaque is a little....much.

Subtle difference between Memorializing and Deifying.

ZippyTheChimp
September 21st, 2010, 09:13 AM
Having experienced the entire Steinbrenner era [and pre-Steinbrenner], it's a mixed bag.

He didn't seem to have much knowledge of baseball operations - the length of the season, evaluating and developing talent. Under his ownership, the Yankees had their worst decade, not winning a WS in the 1980s. The Yankee teams you see now developed in 1990-93, when Steinbrenner was banned from baseball. GM Gene Michael and Buck Showalter ran the team without interference, and brought in players like Jimmy Key [he was a key] and Paul O'Neill. The farm had Mariano Rivera, Bernie Williams, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, and Derek Jeter. Steinbrenner mellowed somewhat on his return, and the Yankees went on their long run.

On the positive side, Steinbrenner rescued the Yankees from corporate indifference and blandness. He cared about winning and put money back into the franchise. He was one of a dying breed of owners, characters like Charlie Finley and Bill Veeck.

Long time Yankee fans can forgive the excesses and embarrassments of the 1980s, and be happy for the return of the Damn Yankees. Whether you like them or not, sports needs such teams.

NYatKNIGHT
September 21st, 2010, 01:31 PM
It is a big monument, but it seems fitting - larger than life, looming over all, his bold mark on the empire he was so much a part of. The ceremony itself was touching and classy. Having Mattingly there made it extra special, and the inclusion of Torre was magnanimous, restorative, and befitting.
Torre and Mattingly had added their signatures to a wall inside the Yankees' clubhouse, taking their places alongside every former player who has set foot in the new Stadium.I would love to see that wall.