PDA

View Full Version : Essential New York

NoyokA
December 18th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Time-Out New York ran this a couple of weeks ago. I think it might be interesting to see what members think.

Their categorites...

The essential New York film? (new category, essential New York play, television show, book)

The essential New York burger? (new category, essential New York pizza, deli, drink, etc.?)

The essential New York album? (new category, essential New York song)

The essential New York clubs party (new category essential New York bar, comedy club)

The essential New York author writing now (new category essential New York writer of all time)

The essential New York clothing store (new category, essential New York bookstore, record store, department store, etc.)

The essential New York stand-up comedian

The essential New York art neighborhood

The essential New York museum (new category, essential New York artgallery, monument, memorial, etc.)

The essential New York gayborhood (new category, essential New York food-neighborhood, party neighborhood, walking-neighborhood, and the essential New York neighborhood)

The essential New York dancer (new category, essential New York artist, architect, urbanist, etc.)

Essential New York pick-up spots

new categories: Essential New York Building, Bridge, Sport, Activity, Beach, Borough, Mayor, Subway Line, Newspaper, Magazine, Street, Hotel, feel free to add more...

NoyokA
December 18th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I'll take a stab at this...

The essential New York film: Fort Apache, The Bronx

The essential New York play: West Side Story

The essential New York television show: Early Law and Order, would pick Seinfeld but wasn't filmed in New York.

The essential New York Burger: JG Melon

The essential New York Pizza: John's of the West Village

The essential New York Deli: Katz's

The essential New York Drink: Dr. Brown's Root Beer or perhaps an EggCream

The essential New York song: Rhapsody in Blue followed by New York, New York by Frank Sinatra.

The essential New York club: Tough one, even though the crowd is all bridge and tunnel, I'd say venue-wise Webster Hall.

The essential New York bar: Another tough-one, Rudy's, Elaine's, Bar-None, there's so many.

The essential New York Comedy Club: Caroline's, Upright Citizen's Brigade for new acts.

The essential New York bookstore: Strand

The essential New York record store: Bleeker Street Records

The essential New York department store: Macy's

The essential New York art neighborhood: Still Tribeca

The essential New York museum: The Met

The essential New York food-neighborhood: Restaurant Row, Hells Kitchen

The essential New York party neighborhood: Lower East Side

The essential New York walking-neighborhood: Far West Village

The essential New York neighborhood: Alphabet City

The essential New York architect: All time Mckim Mead White, today, even though I'm not a fan of his work, no one knows more about New York than Robert A.M. Stern

Essential New York Building: Empire State Building

Essential New York Bridge: Brooklyn Bridge

Essential New York Sport: Baseball

Essential New York Activity: Not sleeping

Essential New York Beach: Coney Island

Essential New York Borough: Manhattan

Essential New York Mayor: Fiorello Laguardia

Essential New York Subway Line: N, from Astoria to Coney Island and cutting up Broadway in between.

Essential New York Street: Broadway

Essential New York paper: The New York Post

meesalikeu
December 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
& good job, its hard to argue with those picks!

essential new york website: wired ny :D

Don31
December 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Wow, thats pretty much on point. No argument from here!

Good2cu
December 28th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'll take a stab at this...

The essential New York film: Fort Apache, The Bronx

I'd put Mean Streets or Taxi Driver, or Do the Right Thing. It has to be either Scorsese or Spike Lee.

The essential New York television show: Early Law and Order, would pick Seinfeld but wasn't filmed in New York.

I'd say NYPD Blue. Hard to argue with those opening credits. I'd watch the show over and over just for that...

The essential New York Deli: Katz's

Carnegie

The essential New York art neighborhood: Still Tribeca

No way! Chelsea ftw.