PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading forum software to version 4

Pages : [1] 2

Edward
April 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
The forum software will soon be upgraded to vBulletin version 4. The new version has some significant changes compared to version 3 we are currently using.

I have installed a test version at wirednewyork.com/forum-402 and you can test-drive it. When you first arrive at the page, you will not see any forum content. Only when you login with your current username and password you will see the forums and threads. During the actual upgrade this test installation will be deleted, so you can do test posting and not worry about breaking it.

Please provide your feedback, anything not working, or "how to do this" questions.

stache
April 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM
Very nice!

Merry
April 9th, 2010, 06:06 AM
I like the Advanced Search being more visible and no longer on a hidden menu.

A lot of things seem to be considerably smaller now, but I'll adjust :).

The icons/smilies on the posting screen are terrible!!

And the preview post screen is a bit strange being centered and larger photos overlapping the right boundary. Not quite WYSIWYG any more.

vBulletin seems to take top billing now, and not WNY :(.

Merry
April 9th, 2010, 07:16 AM
The Advanced Search defaults to the Search Multiple Content Types tab, which does not include the Show Results as posts/threads option as the Search Single Content Type tab does. Logical since the content types vary, but this would require yet another page to load to switch to the Single tab each time when searching :(.

Would anyone want to search in anything other than Posts (Forums seems to mean only titles of forums :confused:)? Or am I missing something?

Ninjahedge
April 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
The formatting seems a bit "fluffy" and "bubbly". Not as matter-of-fact NYT looking (isn't the WNY title in TNR?)

I kind of like the popup info on the threads (you have 23 posts in this thread...) but the icon and color scheme seems a bit off.....

Quotes seem OK, but again they are concentrating on look over actual function. I did not need a "talk baloon" with quotes to signify that it is a quote. the tinted box was enough......

Yes the smiley icons suck.

The "link" button gives you mo more than you could do by just pasting on the post (I was hoping it would have the "link" and "viewable text" kind of options to relieve me the responsibility of remembering the href syntax......)

File upload manager seems a bit tighter.

Other options seem to be the same, but just take up much more room on-screen.....

If there was any way to be able to add your own items to the calendar, that would be handy. The other thing that would be handy is if you can select whose events you wanted to see on the calendar (WNY being a default always-on...)

I do not know what the "test" skin is for the forum, or what it might do to the older versions settings in the meantime... Ed, is it safe to try?

Not bad, all in all.

Just take some getting used to I guess. Oh, and the more professional you make it look, the easier it is to hide at work! ;)

ZippyTheChimp
April 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Overall appearance lacks the crispness of the present format.

Merry
April 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I kind of like the popup info on the threads (you have 23 posts in this thread...) but the icon and color scheme seems a bit off.....

This exists in the current version too, but the icons are better.

All the icons overall look very amateurish.

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 12:54 PM
The Advanced Search defaults to the Search Multiple Content Types tab, which does not include the Show Results as posts/threads option as the Search Single Content Type tab does. Logical since the content types vary, but this would require yet another page to load to switch to the Single tab each time when searching :(.

When you are in a specific forum and looking at the list of threads, you can click on Search Forum on the right of the gray bar below the forum title (this is below the global search window and Advanced Search under it), and this will have a selection Threads/Posts and will default to searching Post in this specific forum; there is also "Advanced Search" selection that goes to "Search Single Content Type" tab and selects that specific forum in "Search in Forum(s)" section.

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
A lot of things seem to be considerably smaller now

I think the size of the font is the same. Which things seem smaller?

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM
I do not know what the "test" skin is for the forum, or what it might do to the older versions settings in the meantime... Ed, is it safe to try?

I deleted "test". There will be only one style.

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 01:23 PM
If there was any way to be able to add your own items to the calendar, that would be handy. The other thing that would be handy is if you can select whose events you wanted to see on the calendar (WNY being a default always-on...)

I did not realize anyone actually using the calendar. I think Forum Veterans can add their own Events which are visible to everyone. This is the same in current version and v4.

ablarc
April 9th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Is this actually an upgrade ... or merely a change?

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 02:45 PM
The largest change in version 4 is the introduction of Content Management which allows forum members to create articles. I looked at the CMS feature and it looked too primitive. I am using Wordpress for the website pages and it's significantly better in terms of CMS. So the most important new feature in v4 will not be installed.

But still, this is not just style changes; for example members will be able to use YouTube videos in posts, new users will be able to login with their Facebook accounts.

Edward
April 9th, 2010, 05:07 PM
As part of the preparation for the upgrade, I am going to update the members' post count. Currently the number of posts shown for each member is the number of posts made; after the counter update it will be the number of posts currently in the database - since some threads or posts were deleted, this number will decrease.

Merry
April 9th, 2010, 09:38 PM
When you are in a specific forum and looking at the list of threads, you can click on Search Forum on the right of the gray bar below the forum title (this is below the global search window and Advanced Search under it), and this will have a selection Threads/Posts and will default to searching Post in this specific forum; there is also "Advanced Search" selection that goes to "Search Single Content Type" tab and selects that specific forum in "Search in Forum(s)" section.

Right, no different/better than the current version, then. It's a shame the Advanced Search link under the global search box doesn't default to the Search Single Content Type tab as well. Perhaps if you did a lot of data entry into a database like I've been doing at work recently (not my usual work, thank goodness), you'd appreciate more what I'm getting at ;).

As part of the preparation for the upgrade, I am going to update the members' post count. Currently the number of posts shown for each member is the number of posts made; after the counter update it will be the number of posts currently in the database - since some threads or posts were deleted, this number will decrease.

Any specific reason for the deletions?

I think the size of the font is the same. Which things seem smaller?

The font appears slightly smaller to me, but particularly the spacing between characters (kerning) is smaller and words appears squashed. Most of the icons/buttons are also smaller.

Merry
April 9th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I've just had a look at the new version in MS Explorer 7 (I haven't bothered to upgrade because I use Firefox). The font still appears squashed (not in post content, btw), but the member name in the Last Post column appears bold in Explorer but does not in Firefox.

FWIW, I think the thread title being bold looks better, as in the current version.

Gregory Tenenbaum
April 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Looking good Ed~!

lofter1
April 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM
I'm really glad I had a 2nd cup of coffee before coming on board this AM to confront the changes -- which most likely are good (and therefore appreciated), but ...

Is what we're seeing now an interim version, or is this the only option that vBulletin 4 offers?

Some observations:

1) In threads the big pale green column at the left with poster info seems way too wide, and doesn't adjust down when narrowing the window. Is there a reason that there's so much space there?

2) There's less delineation of space on the page with a lot more white everywhere so stuff seems to float (in threads, posts, replies -- all over) , which just might take some getting used to. I prefer stronger borders. is it just that the previous WNY blue was darker?

3) When clicking "New Posts" the envelope icons seen at left are way big; is there any way to adjust the size? And I'm not understanding why some envelopes are toned blue-ish and others are flesh-ish (see image attached below) :confused:

4) The smilies + icons seems to have reverted to a more primitive pre-teen version -- which might be good, because that could deter me from using them :cool:

5) "Wired New York" header seems to have disappeared from the posts / threads pages and vBulletin is blowing its own horn up top. Me likes Wired New York big and bold.

Fabrizio
April 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The new color scheme and greyed-out background is awfully muted... everything looks teeny-tiny and less important.

Alonzo-ny
April 11th, 2010, 11:01 AM
I agree about the colours, I much preferred the bold blue of old.

I find it very hard to tell the difference between colours of the icons signifying that a forum has new posts. There is a muted blue and a muted grey. In the old forum it was very clear which forums had new posts.

ZippyTheChimp
April 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Hoping that the appearance is just the default for the software upgrade, and that VBulletin can be removed as the page title. Color is washed out.

The forum icons on the left are giant, and yet all the others are tiny and indistinct. Hard to tell who's online.

Moving the poster-info from the top of the post to the left column just wastes the space underneath, as the posts are pushed to the right.

The icons for EDIT, REPORT POST, etc are now b&w.

ablarc
April 11th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Help! Every time I go on the forum I have to sign in. What can I do to fix this?

ZippyTheChimp
April 11th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Are you using a button on your browser to access the forum?

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 11:48 AM
ablarc, make sure the "Remember Me?" box is checked when loggin in. Also try to clear Wired New York cookies, it might help.

lofter1
April 11th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm experiencing the same thing as ablarc.

In my toolbar I have a direct WNY link, but now find that if I close the WNY window that I have to log on once again (even though I activated the "Remember Me" option when logging in). Previously I never logged out, and simply would close the WNY window and then be able to come back on board without re-logging.

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 11:52 AM
1) In threads the big pale green column at the left with poster info seems way too wide, and doesn't adjust down when narrowing the window. Is there a reason that there's so much space there?

As a test, I changed the user info area to appear on the top. This still results in a loss of space.

The look depends significantly on monitor resolution. On 24 inch monitor there is a lot of space on the sides, so it's not really "wasted". Having a horizontal bar on top of a post takes more space in comparison.

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Previously I never logged out, and simply would close the WNY window and then be able to come back on board without re-logging.

It's probably related to a specific browser and cookies. This could be tested by using a different browser.

ZippyTheChimp
April 11th, 2010, 12:00 PM
Ablarc and Lofter:

The problem has to do with cookies, but I don't think clearing cookies will help.

If you have a button (toolbar, homepage, bookmark, etc) dedicated to WNY: The button has the coding for the old forum, even though the browser directs you to the upgraded version. If you logon and then use one of the browser links, the cookies that show you logged on are missing, so you will have to logon again.

To fix: Access the new forum, logon, and then create a new bookmark link. If you use WNY as a homepage, use the TOOLS menu to reset to the new layout.

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hoping that the appearance is just the default for the software upgrade, and that VBulletin can be removed as the page title. Color is washed out.

The appearance is mostly default except for a few color changes. I did try to match colors to the Wired New York website pages. Although they use different software and templates, at least in general terms they look similar - light blue on the top, mostly white on the bottom. vBulletin logo will be changed.

lofter1
April 11th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I much prefer the horizontal bar, especially helpful when working in multlple windows and re-sizing them as I work.

About logging in oddities: I've now cleared cookies for WNY -- then I came back and logged in, using Remember Me. Then closed the window and re-opened, but had to log in again. Closed again and tried just clicking "Log In" (without entering log-in info) and that brought be on board. But at the same time I got this odd message (see below -- note that it shows "Welcome lofter1" up top ) telling me I had logged in incorrectly, even though I was at the time logged in and able to access threads :confused: ...

Michiel
April 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
The light grey coloured borders almost fade away on my laptop screen. So the pages look complex (maybe the wrong choice of words:confused:)

stache
April 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM
What does the pink envelope mean?

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Pink envelope means Hot Thread - over 30 replies or over 1000 views.

Edward
April 11th, 2010, 12:53 PM
As a test, I changed the user info area to appear on the top. This still results in a loss of space.
I changed it back to the left side, but made the area narrower, 150 pixels

infoshare
April 11th, 2010, 01:17 PM
In the old forum it was very clear which forums had new posts.

Yes, we needs to be more obvious which are the "new posts" : many readers (like myself) just quickly scan for the new posts then dive-in. Also, keep the old Marquee-type top billing for the NAMES of our star posters - alonzo, LL, lofter, fab, merry, ablarc, ect. - many (myself inclued again) come looking for those names only and they should be easy to find. Whats NEW and where the STAR posters are need to jump off the page.

Overall, I am a bit disappointed the the changes overall - but, I can see the needed improvements are already being implemented.

Gregory Tenenbaum
April 11th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Actually I take it back Ed.

I preferred this one by a country mile.

GordonGecko
April 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM
They updated the vbulletin version on another forum I use and people universally despised the change. There were tons of bugs and people complained about the layout, notably how the signature can't be distinguished from the main post and how it just didn't flow as nicely. I'll be curious to see how people here react.

color test <-- edit: see here's one bug

lofter1
April 11th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I had that same bug ^ the when I tried to color the font to subdued blue (third blue from the top) -- but I got no color change, just code; when I changed it to the true blue (second blue from top) that color worked A-OK.

Trying some other colors it seems the options have been diminished to the basics:

Aqua

Pale Blue

Red

Orange

Yellow

Silver

Purple

Light Purple

Gray

Dark Gray

Brown

Green

Dark Green

Spring Green

Lime Green

Bright Pink

Pale Pink

White < That is White :D

ZippyTheChimp
April 11th, 2010, 02:14 PM
RED

RED

RED

I read in the VBulletin forum that there's a bug with the RGB format. However, the hexidecimal format works fine, and you get the full 256 x 3 pallet.

The colors above were done with (brackets removed):

1. color=red

2. color =#FF0000. Same full red in hex.

3. color=#990000. Darker red.

lofter1
April 11th, 2010, 06:19 PM
That ^ is all Greek to me :o

If you have a button (toolbar, homepage, bookmark, etc) dedicated to WNY: The button has the coding for the old forum, even though the browser directs you to the upgraded version. If you logon and then use one of the browser links, the cookies that show you logged on are missing, so you will have to logon again.

To fix: Access the new forum, logon, and then create a new bookmark link. If you use WNY as a homepage, use the TOOLS menu to reset to the new layout.

But thanks for that ^

Taking those steps seems to have solved the log in problem.

stache
April 11th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I miss the old line of demarcation that delineated new posts from older posts that had not yet been read.

ZippyTheChimp
April 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM
That ^ is all Greek to me :o
Criminy! A Mac Man.

Since you already understand the RGB format, it's just a simple matter of converting to hexadecimal.

In RGB, you have 256 possible values for each of the 3 colors (0 - 255). The hex equivalent range is 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F. A pair of digits sets the code for each color, so the possible combinations for each color is 16 x 16 = 256.

00 is no color, FF is full color. For red, the RGB code is 255 0 0. The hex equivalent is FF0000.

000000 is black. FFFFFF is white.

Here's a good color chart in hex (http://www.immigration-usa.com/html_colors.html). Don't for get the #.

DMAG
April 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Bravo on the upgrade. I'm working on upgrading 6 different forums to VB4 right now. Unfortunately, they are moderately modified forums that are horribly hard to upgrade due to the amount of hacks that are not supported in VB4. The amount of CSS classes available in VB4 really make it easier to change the look of the tiniest piuece of code. Of course, that also makes for about 5 million different CSS classes vs VB3's 25-odd classes. D'oh!

ablarc
April 11th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks, Edward and Zippy. I took some of your advice (don't know what), and something fixed my problem. Or maybe it fixed itself. (Ain't computers grand?)

195Broadway
April 11th, 2010, 08:22 PM
My computer can't deal with the change. When I try to read the latest post, I get the "internet explorer has encountered a problem" window. The choice is to send an error report or close. writing this on a friend's computer.

Windows xp internet explorer.

KenNYC
April 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Do not like. :(

DMAG
April 11th, 2010, 09:04 PM
My computer can't deal with the change. When I try to read the latest post, I get the "internet explorer has encountered a problem" window. The choice is to send an error report or close. writing this on a friend's computer.

Try clearing IE's browser cache (and cookies for that matter). Your browser may still be trying to access the files of the last version of the board when clicking on a post. Try the following steps:

Clear cache
Clear cookies
Close browser
Restart browser

Ninjahedge
April 12th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Meh.

The style and format leaves something to be desired, with grey, baby blue and pink....

Another thing is the icons, as mentioned. TOO basic for this day and age. (I feel like I am in Windows 3.11)

More technical. Even though I set "do not subscribe" in my personal settings, it is still leaving the subscription checked at the bottom of a post (I have to uncheck).

Also, FINDING your CP is difficult. Somehow I do not consider subscription settings, avatar and signature settings being "Forum Actions". Maybe "Forum Settings" would be clearer?

One last thing, and I don't know if anyone else has had this. When selecting "last post" (as in last one I have read) I am getting sent to somewhere in the middle of the thread I click on. It is on the right page, but several posts behind the latest unread posts.

Is this a saved cookie absolute position thing? They do not seem to be sending me to the TOP of a post, but rather to some random position in the thread itself. if I was being referenced to post #2058 then I would be sent to the header of that post, not to the middle of one.....

Just some heads ups and suggestions........

Bottom line is thanks for the Forum Ed!
/me unclicks subscription checkbox.....

dtolman
April 12th, 2010, 10:45 AM
The new version looks fine in-thread, but the forum pages are a visual mess when you try to browse (hard to tell new threads, overly large icons, just not a good look in general).

Also - what happened to the little info bar on the bottom saying who was browsing each sub-forum? Always got a kick out of that...

I won't blame the new version per se - but I think some serious tweaks are needed in settings. Its just not an appealing look when you log in now.

HoveringCheesecake
April 12th, 2010, 10:50 AM
I haven't been a fan of vB4 elsewhere, either.

My biggest beef right now is my username is too long and wraps in the box on the left. Ewww.

Ebryan
April 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
The ads by Google within the threads are really distracting. Are they necessary?

Also, an easy solution to the browsing difficulties would be to reintroduce the bold colors -- soft hues do not color contrast providing the necessary nonverbal ques (Marketing 101). This is why traffic lights use red, green, and yellow versus pink, blue, and orange.

Gregory Tenenbaum
April 12th, 2010, 11:52 AM
While I like the soothing tones of the angel blue, I would have preferred something with more of a coral or jade feel, to put me in the mood for my next South Pacific cruise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4bNqECDU84

ZippyTheChimp
April 12th, 2010, 11:55 AM
My biggest beef right now is my username is too long and wraps in the box on the left. Ewww.See Edward's post (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23578&p=322623&viewfull=1#post322623) on the matter.

ZippyTheChimp
April 12th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Discovered one improvement while making the above post.

The post that is linked is no longer displayed alone; it is displayed within the thread.

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Also - what happened to the little info bar on the bottom saying who was browsing each sub-forum?
This has effect on performance.

Alonzo-ny
April 12th, 2010, 12:13 PM
The quick navigation bar at the bottom of a thread page is now redundant in my opinion. You can no longer simply click 'go' to take you back to the forum you were in. Now you have to scroll down the list every time. It is now much easier to just press home on the keyboard then click the link.

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I have disabled an option of threaded and hybrid display of a thread, I don't think this feature was used by anyone.

I have also enabled quick reply option, a window appears on the bottom of each thread and you can start typing a reply without a click.

lofter1
April 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Here is me trying the "Post Quick Reply" option to see what it offers (and carefully proof reading since there is no "Preview" option).

I like it ("Edit Post" option used to add this).

lofter1
April 12th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Now it seems that clicking "Reply" goes directly to "Quick Reply" mode -- and that if one wants to "Preview" a post then clicking the "Advanced" reply mode is required (previously the "Preview" option was available at level one of "Reply" and didn't require another click).

ablarc
April 12th, 2010, 01:42 PM
The emoticons are no good. Can we have the old ones back?

ZippyTheChimp
April 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-forum/cya.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

ablarc
April 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM
The height of the window where you type an "advanced" message should be taller, so you can see more of your message without scrolling. How do you scroll in that window, anyway?

Ninjahedge
April 12th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Quick Reply is always liked. I have had it on other forums.

I have found out what is up with the links/latest and other things. Seems that anything that was "remembered" from the older version is not quite in sync with this. So if you replied to something last week on the old version, it will remember you did, but not remember exactly where (probably syntax). When I clicked on one of the threads I virwed/posted at today, it came back to the head of the first new post.

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 02:15 PM
The font appears slightly smaller to me, but particularly the spacing between characters (kerning) is smaller and words appears squashed.
I looked at old version and current version side by side and the font and spacing look the same.

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 02:17 PM
The height of the window where you type an "advanced" message should be taller
You can increase the window height by clicking on the Increase Size icon http://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/editor/resize_1.gif on the right side.

ZippyTheChimp
April 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
@ Ablarc:

There are up-down arrows just to the left of the A icon on the upper right to adjust the size of the window.

However, in the previous version, if you increased the size of the window and then hit preview, the window stayed at the new size. Now it collapses back to default; so if you want to re-read the entire post before submitting, you have to either scroll or increase the size of the window again.

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
The emoticons are no good. Can we have the old ones back?They are back

ablarc
April 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Wow ... thanks! :)

195Broadway
April 12th, 2010, 05:42 PM
Try clearing IE's browser cache (and cookies for that matter). Your browser may still be trying to access the files of the last version of the board when clicking on a post. Try the following steps:

Clear cache
Clear cookies
Close browser
Restart browser

DMAG, thanks for the suggestion.
In internet options, I deleted the cookies and the temporary internet files, then restarted the laptop. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

stache
April 12th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Firefox?

Edward
April 12th, 2010, 06:15 PM
What version of IE?

Merry
April 13th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I looked at old version and current version side by side and the font and spacing look the same.

What browser are you using, Edward?

I'm using Firefox. I just had a look in IE8 and the font appears quite different, but still squashed. Not post content, though, that's fine, just text with the dark blue background, thread titles, people's user names, etc.

I've experienced problems with fonts between browsers before.

Merry
April 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Is it possible to reduce/eliminate the several-second wait before the "Add an Image" window appears after clicking on the "Insert Image" icon?

Just a tad frustrating, especially when posting multiple images. The old functionality was quicker and easier to use.

Also, when the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" in the "From URL" tab is checked, I get the following message:

Remote file is too large

Is this how a size limit is being enforced?

If that option is unchecked, the image is inserted in the post OK.

Ninjahedge
April 13th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I do not remember seeing spellcheck earlier...

Either I missed it or you added it Ed. Thanks!

Daquan13
April 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
The new wall looks nice!

ablarc
April 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM
There used to be a listing of logged in members at the bottom. Is this feature gone? It was very handy.

Alonzo-ny
April 13th, 2010, 09:56 AM
It is still there. Just click on the link which says how many people are online.

Ninjahedge
April 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM
This may be on my end but:

Warning: fopen(http://api.facebook.com/restserver.php?method=facebook.users.getLoggedInUs er&session_key=&api_key=86c51d4409999e5eed219f86f1bc8156&v=1.0) [function.fopen (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/function.fopen)]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! in [path]/includes/facebook/facebookapi_php5_restlib.php on line 3663

Was at the top of the page above the WNY title bar this morning (forum index page).....

lofter1
April 15th, 2010, 11:35 AM
It is still there. Just click on the link which says how many people are online.

Not seeing where that link is -- could this be something now only seen by Mods?

Alonzo-ny
April 15th, 2010, 12:11 PM
On the index page. In the 'What's going on?' window right at the bottom. It was always visible before I was a mod. Though it was called something like 'Who's online?' before.

Ninjahedge
April 15th, 2010, 01:14 PM
I see the whole shebang at the intro page to the forums (at the bottom).

I don't know what could be set differently on Loft's profile to prevent him from seeing it. Browser maybe?

lesterp4
April 15th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Is there anyway to change the size of the type in this new format. Mine is very small.

Edward
April 15th, 2010, 01:52 PM
Not seeing where that link is -- could this be something now only seen by Mods?You have to be logged in, the list is on the forum front page.

Edward
April 15th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Is there anyway to change the size of the type in this new format. Mine is very small.The font size for the post/content is exactly the same.

lofter1
April 15th, 2010, 03:10 PM
... the list is on the forum front page.
Thanks, found it.

(I never log out, but sometimes my Mac does it for me.)

stache
April 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The font size for the post/content is exactly the same.

The font is getting older so it's harder to see. :p

Ninjahedge
April 16th, 2010, 08:35 AM
OK, this is why I did not see spellcheck.....

When you hit the Edit Post icon, there is no spellcheck in the first window opened. Being that editing messages is sometimes because you notice a spelling error after posting, it would be handy to have on the "edit post" menu/toolbar...

ZippyTheChimp
April 16th, 2010, 08:50 AM
Where do you see a spellcheck icon?

I have spellcheck provided by the browser, same as in the last version.

Ninjahedge
April 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Zip, Just to make things clear:

On Quick Reply it is this:

Hitting the "Edit Post" at the bottom:
Gives this:

Hitting advanced then gives this:

The spellcheck is everywhere BUT on the first edit post.

I use ieSpell-check.

Merry
April 16th, 2010, 09:55 PM
What :confused: \/

Using the Search Single Content Type tab (search entire posts/display as posts):

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search:
"Bellevue Psychiatric Hospital"

^ Perhaps the people responsible at vBulletin for this latest version belong there, particularly for the overall V4 front end product.

Without the quotes gets results, but I used to use quotes for specific searches a lot with no problem in the previous version, in fact to avoid the very error message above.

I just tried the above search on SkyscraperCity with vBulletin 3.8.3 with no problems. Which makes me wonder, are search options etc. set by vBulletin or the user.

This \/ worked:

"350 fifth avenue"

Without quotes didn't. Fifth is too "common". Not so on SSC.

Search results used to be in order of latest post/thread first. Now it's all over the place.

Alonzo-ny
April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Embeding videos does not work.

Jasonik
April 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
^ I don't think that's entirely accurate... *ahem* (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23611&p=323165&viewfull=1#post323165). ;)

Alonzo-ny
April 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jasonik. I am used to using the [ youtube ] [/ youtube ] tags.

scumonkey
April 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
sometimes you have to take off the last few digits or letters from the Youtube URL to make it show up (too much info for it to work)...
But that's the way it works on other forums that I visit as well.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm finding the new release very slow compared to the last version.

scumonkey
April 18th, 2010, 12:51 AM
^ I'm glad I'm not the only one... I've gotten into the habit of opening every
thread I want to read in a new tab (not fun) just to try and speed it up.
I find it's consistently much slower than the old version. :(

ablarc
April 18th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Where? Can't find it to save my soul.

scumonkey
April 18th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Ablarc- is this what your looking for?
(at the bottom of the Forum homepage)
click here where the red arrow is pointing.

Alonzo-ny
April 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM
You beat me to it.

ablarc
April 18th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Ablarc- is this what your looking for?
(at the bottom of the Forum homepage)
click here where the red arrow is pointing.
Yes indeed, that's what I'm looking for.

But it doesn't show up on my screen.

I normally use Firefox. I switched to Internet Explorer (not my favorite), and it shows up there. Could something be wrong with my cookies? If so, how do I fix it?

scumonkey
April 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I use firefox too -and it works just fine...(for me anyway)
have you not updated Firefox in the past few days?
It was compromised and a new safer version was released?!

Various analysts and sites have recently confirmed a vulnerability is present in FireFox 3.5.1 that has had exploit PoC released. When exploited, the vulnerability can lead to system compromise or induce a DOS.Here is a link for the free upgrade to 3.6
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Ninjahedge
April 19th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I also noticed that when I posted one picture link it gave a thumbnail, but the other post where I put 4 up just gave link addresses....

What's up with that?

Daquan13
April 20th, 2010, 04:55 PM
The forum is running awfully slow.

Anyone else noticed that?

infoshare
April 20th, 2010, 07:19 PM
yes, with my standard 'first look' at the forums I click New Posts: it then takes 30 seconds or more to open that thread to see the most recent post on that particular thread. Which is BTW, usually some unbearably moronic (or otherwise pointless) comment - which has been leaving me a bit less tolerant of all the "garbage" posts we get here on WNY.

My remarks are not directed at you D: but, I do suggest you try to post some more 'graphics/links' that are relevant to the subject. You know, make every post 'worth the wait'.

Also, I miss the "view todays posts" option - that was very useful for return visits and taking an overview of all the posts that were made for that given day.

Bye for now.

Alonzo-ny
April 21st, 2010, 05:08 AM
Slow here also.

Fabrizio
April 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
I so do not like this update of the forum... why fix something when nothing was broken?

The look before was crisp and neat. The titles and headlines stood out visually ( as titles and headlines are meant to do).

It seems that the date and time of our post now get equal billing with the thread title.

And I loath that wimpy foggy looking green orb next to our names that announces when we are on-line... what was wrong with the nice decisive green dot of before?

And the grey background, the tiny greyed out font.... not good.

This place now looks cluttered... no urgency, nothing pops.

infoshare
April 24th, 2010, 11:55 AM
The look before was crisp and neat. The titles and headlines stood out visually ( as titles and headlines are meant to do).

It seems that the date and time of our post now get equal billing with the thread title.

This place now looks cluttered... no urgency, nothing pops.

Yes, after having used the new version for awile I would agree that the entire user experience has (in may ways) been fragmented, muted, or otherwise watered-down.

Thanks for those keen observations; and equally sharp descriptions of the particular issues you have with the update.. Given the fact that you are someone who is known to have a lot experience in the visual arts in general , and computer graphic in particular – your assessments are all the more damning.

That being said, there are new versions yet to come, and there will be plenty of opportunites to ‘bring back’ what was good in the previous versions while still making improvements in other areas of functionality and graphical user interface.

Its basically an all volentter effort so it’s all going to be a whole lot more hit-or-miss developing this site than one that can afford to buy top quality talent.

You say the user experience in the prior version was far better and I agree: that’s two big steps in right direction.

Alonzo-ny
April 24th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I agree with Fabrizio. How much of this can be changed? Is it all down to vBulletin?

ZippyTheChimp
April 24th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Most updates have less to do with appearance, and more about:

1. Keeping up with new apps.
2. Stability.
3. Security against hacks.

We generally have little or no information about the above. However, appearance applications (style sheets, etc) aren't usually degraded in newer versions, as that it what is most immediately apparent to the customer.

The present forum style seems to be the VBulletin default. You can see it for yourself at the VBulletin forum. As I remember it, the color was the same in previous versions, yet WNY had its own style. I would assume that the ability to individualize appearance is retained; Edward can answer that.

The entire look is a little washed-out and muted, out of focus.

Sometimes "bells & whistles" are eliminated to improve response time. However, and I waited a while to make sure it wasn't unrelated to the upgrade, the forum seems slower. And I occasionally get hung up scripts; that never happened before.

Alonzo-ny
April 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
The forum has been tediously slow this weekend to the point I have given up waiting several times.

scumonkey
April 24th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Agreed... coral grows faster.

BrooklynRider
April 24th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The slow response time has reduced the typical time I would spend on the site. Speed is something that should never be compromised with an upgrade. All other items have less urgency. If users aren't willing to stick around and wait for pages or threads to load, the aesthetic issues become irrelevant.

Daquan13
April 25th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Likewise!

Since this new look came about, the only notable change other than the new look is that it has made the forum so atrociously blasted slow!!

Like Fabrizio said, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Daquan13
April 25th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I think I had already explained, Infoshare, that I don't know how to do that.

I can't fix something that I know nothing about. I'm not a rocket scientist, nor am I a genius and I'm not trying to be one

The only thing that I can do at this point, is to try to get the info from Wikipedia, since stories there don't just fade away after a while. They stay intact.

I do not post "moronic, garbage or pointless comments". They are true to the best of my knowllege. Not trying to tell you what to do, but why not try to curtail all of the spam from those who are habitual abusers?

Like you said, you're not zeroing in on me, but it seems to me like you might be because every time that I make a complaint or try to post valuable info trough a link or Wikipedia, which this one is legit, seems I'm getting pounced on. Maybe I won't come here as much, since it is making me feel uncomfortable being here.

And BTW, that has nothing at all to do with the fact that the forum has been running so atrociously slow since the upgrade..

Ninjahedge
April 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Bit OT there Daq....... :confused:

Daquan13
April 25th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Maybe, but it's a shame when some are saying that I post nonsense posts or links that aren't permenant.

From now on, it is Wikipedia or nothing at all. I've seen links posted by others, but nothing is said to them. it makes me think sometimes that I'm being singled out and crapped on.

scumonkey
April 26th, 2010, 01:53 PM
This is the first time I have even been able to log on since yesterday evening- slow is one thing but this has gone beyond ridiculous- it's unusable (and it took 4 minutes to open this- with more than 6 timed outs.)

Ninjahedge
April 26th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Same, I think something is going on today.

Oh, and it also booted me out and forced me to log in again. I don't know if that was a cookie dump on my end or what (I have not really had that problembefore. It did not crash, I just did not have the explorer window open. When I started it up and navigated here, it had me logged out....)

Anyway, just wondering what's up.....

yepole
April 26th, 2010, 02:35 PM
That reminds me of the long-forgotten 28kb- modem world... quite upsetting!
Is that a server bandwidth issue? or problem with querying database, or something else going on here?

lofter1
April 26th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Yep -- Today connecting to WNY is horrendously slow. This is the 4th time I've tried to open WNY today. Just now, with half the day gone, I've had my first successful attempt to get on board (which is sort of OK, because I'm getting other things done). But I keep getting "Can't connect to server" pages or the timer whirligig just keeps spinning without opening WNY. Yesterday was slow as molasses, as well.

I'll keep coming back, but I'd bet that such results would send less-obsessive folks elsewhere.

Have we seen a drop-off in visitors since the change-over?

Daquan13
April 26th, 2010, 03:52 PM
This morning, it wouldn't download at all.

Kept getting this; "Windows cannot display the page."

And the Quick Reply box won't work at first. Have to click on the Reply button first, then click on the Back button for it to work. How sad is that? Sounds ridiculous!

Ninjahedge
April 27th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I am starting to Multi-Tab myself now. Run through, right click and open each sub-forum then come back to start to select a topic.....

The Klepto Octopus is still loading (1min + so far)

dbhstockton
April 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Unacceptably slow here, too. I've had to give up on a few occasions and find something else to do.

Alonzo-ny
April 27th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm getting annoyed getting placed half way back up a thread when I click first new post.

MidtownGuy
April 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've been having terrible problems with the slowness of the site. Posting has a long wait, edits take even longer.

stache
April 27th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Traffic is down. People are not pleased.

infoshare
April 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
This site has become like a dense forest on a foggy night; confusing, fragmented, showing no clear sign of which way to go to find something of value or interest. I have tried to rationalize or otherwise mitigate this unfortunate turn of events, but now can only join the chorus in the hope of bring about some change before I bid my final farewell.

Sorry to be so melodramatic - but this a disaster.

Edward
April 27th, 2010, 11:53 PM
I was told by the hosting company that the site was under denial-of-service attack on Monday and Tuesday, essentially shutting down the site. They undertook certain measures and now the site is back to normal.

Edward
April 28th, 2010, 12:06 AM
Most updates have less to do with appearance, and more about:

1. Keeping up with new apps.
2. Stability.
3. Security against hacks.

Absolutely right. The updates have to be done; if aint broken dont fix it does not work here - if you don't update, it will be broken pretty fast.

As an example - in October/November of last year out of 40 daily new member registrations 20 was by spammers using automatic bots. After activation of human verification system (simple questions), the spammer registrations dropped to 1-2 a day. This feature was not available in old versions of vBulletin.

Edward
April 28th, 2010, 12:15 AM
This site has become like a dense forest on a foggy night; confusing, fragmented, showing no clear sign of which way to go to find something of value or interest. Indeed sounds melodramatic. Yes, forum was slow lately, especially during the denial-of-service attack on Monday and Tuesday; I don't see though how this becomes "fragmented" and "confusing". The forum has the same content, just somewhat different style.

Ninjahedge
April 28th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Ed, it is still slow, but that might be on my end.

Alonzo, it happened to me too, but only on threads that I had re-visited for the first time on the new software. I think it has something to do with how the two versions recorded your last read post (screen position maybe?)

I would not worry too much about traffic, provided this site picks back up soon. this is not a fly-by-night kind of trivia site. I think the thing that hurt it more than a DOS attack was the recession and the stopping of most new construction in the city. Hopefully THAT will be fixed soon too...... :(

scumonkey
April 28th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Ed, it is still slow, but that might be on my end.
not just you...(but it is a little better than before- no time outs)

lofter1
April 28th, 2010, 06:33 PM
I couldn't connect today @ ~ 4PM until I tried again now.

DMAG
April 28th, 2010, 09:05 PM
Seems fine for me. Maybe I just got used to the new layout quicker then most.

Ninjahedge
April 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM
This morning it seems to be running fine.

I am also not having any trouble/delay with any other page. I will see what happens later today.

Alonzo-ny
April 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
The facebook connect thing seems to be causing some problems loading.

ZippyTheChimp
April 30th, 2010, 12:14 PM
^
I noticed that a few days ago, and blocked scripting for facebook.com.

Edward
April 30th, 2010, 12:17 PM

I have changed the background of a post from slightly gray to plain white, and the font from not-quite-black to plain black, so now the body of a post looks exactly the same as in the previous version.

Other elements of style can be customized as well. The problem with styling though is that it's hard to make everyone happy at the same time, people use different devices to view the site, from 24 inch monitors to iPhone/iPod/iPad/BlackBerry/Playstation and the bold title in large font that looks good on desktop monitor looks too big on 320x396 pixel screen.

Edward
April 30th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The facebook connect thing seems to be causing some problems loading.Facebook Connect might be causing some performance issues, I think vBulletin is working on fixing this.

stache
April 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
It looks better Ed.

ZippyTheChimp
April 30th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Other elements of style can be customized as well. The problem with styling though is that it's hard to make everyone happy at the same timeI think most of us would be happy with the former BLUE color instead of the present SEAGREEN.

Alonzo-ny
April 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
The text is much easier on the eyes to read now. Thanks Ed. I also agree about the colour. Bold blue again please ;)

Alonzo-ny
May 2nd, 2010, 06:21 AM
I am still having really bad speed issues. I have to admit I am coming to the site way less right now, it just isn't worth it. The most I ever manage is to read one thread before I give up.

HoveringCheesecake
May 2nd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Seems fine for me. Maybe I just got used to the new layout quicker then most.

It has nothing to do with the layout. The pages are loading far slower than they were before the update.

I am still having really bad speed issues. I have to admit I am coming to the site way less right now, it just isn't worth it. The most I ever manage is to read one thread before I give up.

I'm still visiting, but the page load times are getting tedious.

ablarc
May 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Too slow.

Ninjahedge
May 3rd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Speeds are better on my end this morning.

The only interim solution has been mentioned. Right click on the thread links and "open in new tab". Then just go to the one that loads first and close it when done! ;)

Not the best solution, I know, but better than nothing.

Alonzo-ny
May 3rd, 2010, 11:05 AM
It isn't really acceptable for just a mostly text webpage. Hopefully the issue is getting worked on.

lofter1
May 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
It's beyond the slowness of opening a page, whether in the same window or new window. As NH suggests, I right click 3-4 threads when checking in for "New Posts" -- but sometimes those will take 1 minute + to load.

"Quick Reply" option also often takes 1 minute + to load, and meanwhile it seems that vBulletin on its own will post that reply twice (or for some reason tell you that you can't re-post again within 30 seconds). :confused:

There seems to be no rhyme or reason regarding the speed or lack thereof since the change over. Sometimes it runs lickety split and other times it doesn't work at all, and in between in can be anywhere from slow to barely moving. Doesn't seem to be by time of day, but perhaps has to do with amount of traffic at any given time?

And I still find times where WNY won't load at all.

stache
May 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Does this have something to do with server capabilities?

ablarc
May 3rd, 2010, 12:31 PM
Edward: the site has become so slow that it sometimes takes five minutes to respond to an edit made in the first minute. That being the case, you should increase the window for editing to at least ten minutes.

(Truth is: Don't really like this new beast.}

Ninjahedge
May 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I think there may be other DDoS attacks being staged and the re-routing may be making the response time slower than normal.

Has anyone noticed a pattern to it? Time of day?

This almost seems like a bandwidth problem, as the progress bar DOES move, but how much BW do you really need for a mostly text site (unless people have to re-index the site and are DLing much more than just the page they are on?).

Ed, do you have any pre/post update BW usage stats?

/PS - 30 seconds for Quick Reply to post, 2 seconds for edit post to activate.....

ZippyTheChimp
May 3rd, 2010, 01:32 PM
I think there may be two problems here.

I've noticed slowness in the software - such as the facebook problem, that cleared for me when I denied scripts. And other problems, like the search function (I'll get to that).

I don't think the more noticeable slowness that everyone is now experiencing is caused by the software version, because something this obvious would be a major issue at VBulletin. In browsing their user forum, I found nothing that would indicate this problem. I think there's a server issue.

There seem to be glichtes in Search. One is the TAG box. In "Search Multiple Content Types" tab, it works OK.

But in "Search Single Content Type" tab, when you start to type a keyword, you don't get a dropdown menu showing available choices. Typing LANDMARK should also show LANDMARKS and LANDMARKS PRESERVATION.

Also, my Search Preferences aren't always saved from session to session.

Edward
May 3rd, 2010, 01:52 PM
I do see that the site is slow, and in certain periods the load on the server is extremely high. Troubleshooting however is not that easy. The site is not a plain text, it's generated dynamically from php scripts and is relying on MySql database. Every component - Apache server, PHP, MySql have many settings and parameters that have effect on performance. I am in contact with my hosting company trying identify the causes and finding a solution. Once this part is done, I will ask vBulletin to evaluate server parameters and to suggest ways for optimization.

Edward
May 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
I have disabled some options that are processor-intensive - showing logged in users, search updates will be done not immediately but every 10 min.

scumonkey
May 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
"showing logged in users"
How unfortunate - I had found that feature to be quite useful, and on the old board it
didn't seem to hurt the loading speed...:(
at least the forum is back up

lofter1
May 3rd, 2010, 08:57 PM
Aaahhh, finally it's back. Maybe vBulletin has been spending this afternoon fixing some glitches, since they were doing "maintenance" all afternoon:

Earlier, when I tried to access WNY @ 3.21 PM, I got this:

vBulletin Message
Forum is closed for maintenance...
Will be open by about 3pm ...

Then at 3:53 PM I got this:

vBulletin Message
Will be open by about 4:30pm ...

At 5:05 this showed up:

Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “http://wirednewyork.com/forum/index.php” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding.

At 5:46 PM we were back to this:

vBulletin Message
Will be open by about 5:30pm ...

By 6:40 PM:

vBulletin Message
Come back later ...
:confused:

Edward
May 3rd, 2010, 11:28 PM
The server was updated to latest version of Apache and PHP. There were some problems encountered, so it took longer than expected.

scumonkey
May 3rd, 2010, 11:38 PM
You put it back! (thank you)
and the speed seems back to normal as well!

Daquan13
May 4th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Yeah, seems to be working fine now!

ablarc
May 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks to Terminix, we now have giant cockroaches.

That must be the new program's idea for advertising targeted at Wired New York.

I wish everything were back how it was. Totally without improvements.

ablarc
May 4th, 2010, 06:54 AM
It doesn't even allow me to delete duplicate posts.

Alonzo-ny
May 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Speed is better but still seems a bit slower than normal.

Ninjahedge
May 4th, 2010, 08:06 AM
By the sound of it, it was probably something to do with indexing and updating the database.

Every time someone posted something it may have tries to link and cross link everything that may be connected to it, thus peaking the usage over something minor..... Just a thought....

I don't think the "who is online" had much to do with it though, unless that interfered with something else (like the Facebook script).

BTW, it could be trying to run several things simultaneously that don't really multitask (like when you try to start two programs at once, they take longer than opening one, waiting, then opening the second).... Ed, is this a server use peak, or a BW peak? (CPU or Network?)

ZippyTheChimp
May 4th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Zoom-zoom.

Sorta.

Thanks to Terminix, we now have giant cockroaches.Whut?

ablarc
May 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
^ Sometimes it's LeFrak City.

Give it time; you'll be greeted by the roaches sooner or later.

ZippyTheChimp
May 4th, 2010, 09:25 PM
^

Oh, ads.

I don't see any of that.

ablarc
May 5th, 2010, 07:42 AM
How did you do that?

ZippyTheChimp
May 5th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Hold on. I'll check.

ZippyTheChimp
May 5th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I suppose you mean the ad banner at the top of the page.

This is in Firefox.

It's NOT blocked by Adblock Plus, which mostly gets rid of popups.

It IS blocked by No Script (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722), which selectively removes embedded objects like ad banners. The banner here is a java script run by doubleclick.net, which I've blocked. However, even when unblocked, this script only runs when I first access WNY, but stops after I log on.

Ninjahedge
May 5th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I have no ads logged in and on the forum.

I only see ads when I clear cookies and have to log in again....

Edward
May 5th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I have no ads logged in and on the forum.
The ads are not shown to logged in members.

Ninjahedge
May 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I was not complaining!! ;)

ablarc
May 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM
The ads are not shown to logged in members.
Sorry Edward, I'm currently logged in (this post is proof); but there's an ad for LeFrak City.

ablarc
May 5th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Oops, now the ad is gone.

Sorry Edward, my bad.

ablarc
May 5th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Logged in again, and now I have the Terminix cockroach.

scumonkey
May 5th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Don't log out...(I don't -and have NEVER seen an ad- with or without roaches).

ablarc
May 5th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Aha!

Since I never log out, it must be something my computer is doing !

Ninjahedge
May 6th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Cookie Cleansing?

ZippyTheChimp
May 6th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Don't log out...(I don't -and have NEVER seen an ad- with or without roaches).

Aha!

Since I never log out, it must be something my computer is doing !

What about when you close your browser or shutdown?

Daquan13
May 6th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Thought that it was fixed, but now today, it again seems awfully blasted slow!

I've never logged out, yet sometimes when I come back, I find out that I was logged out even when I DIDN'T log out!

Edward
May 6th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Apache had to be re-optimized this morning because all optimizations were lost in recent upgrade. It should be running fine now.

stache
May 6th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Plus Mercury has been in retrograde.

Ninjahedge
May 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
I am not even saying where Uranus has been lately.

stache
May 6th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Appearing nightly!

scumonkey
May 8th, 2010, 08:20 PM
off and on - slow again...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb276/scumonkey/timedout.jpg

lofter1
May 8th, 2010, 10:39 PM
It's like Thursday's stock market ... up, down, up ...

Daquan13
May 11th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Lofter1, you're RIGHT!

Since coming on this morning, it's been running awfully slow again.

HoveringCheesecake
May 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Today was the first time the site has actually timed out for me since the upgrade.

lofter1
May 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM
WNY used to be like a trusted lover: dependable, fast, fun to play with.

Now it's invariably like an unwanted spouse: slow to respond, not there when you need some, repetitive with scolds ("Can't connect to server", etc.).

Ninjahedge
May 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
It was fine this morning, but it has been rather slow the past few hours.

Either the BW is throttled or something else is taking up server time on your provider Ed. I can't see this being 100% a vBulletin problem......

Alonzo-ny
May 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Slow again.

Fabrizio
May 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
The problems with the speed of the forum is really at a critical stage now IMHO. Do what ever you have to do, but FIX IT asap... period.

IMHO the forum was already having a hard time keeping afloat with less and less activity, but now that it's slower and less attractive visually, it will go even futher down the drain. Who has the patience? The slowness is like it's 1994 all over again. I can understand a few days to work the bugs out, but this weeks now. It's not good. Just fix it already.

lofter1
May 13th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I've got lots of photos I'd like to post, but then I think "The site will probably be a pain, so why bother."

I'm also sensing a big drop off in posts about current building news.

Could it be that others are giving up and just reading and looking rather than engaging in the old-style WNY give-and-take?

stache
May 13th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I think so.

Alonzo-ny
May 13th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I personally have been staying away. I just can't be bothered with the slowness. I agree with Fab that this has really exacerbated the issues of stagnant discussion. It is a big problem.

lofter1
May 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Also: vBulletin's penchant for automatic double-posting as seen here (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3672&p=324919#post324919) (and also experienced by myself consistently since the upgrade) is really bothersome and points to some sort of bug in the new format.

ZippyTheChimp
May 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
^
The circumstances that you and others, and recently myself, are experiencing I'll now call the Good Old Days.

One day last week when the site was taken down for maintenance, I was submitting a post and was dropped. I tried to re-access and got a maintenance message screen. Later on that day, the site wouldn't respond at all, and I figured it was something major.

I was gone for several days, and when I returned, it was still not responding. Ran some tests, and discovered that WNY was rejecting my IP.

I can access on a laptop, but I prefer not to be online when outdoors. My time away from computers.

So I'm reduced to proxy servers, and have an added layer of wait time to the already slow WNY. Sometimes even the proxy finds the wait intolerable, and drops the connection. When I sense this is going to happen, I "click here if your browser doesn't redirect you," but instead of the thread I was logging on to respond to, I wind up on the main page.

This is not fun, and I won't accept it mach longer.

I sent a PM to Edward two days ago; still waiting a reply.

stache
May 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
He needs to spring for better servers.

Ninjahedge
May 14th, 2010, 08:31 AM
He does or we do?

Merry
May 14th, 2010, 10:20 AM
It's good to be back, but the previous frustrations persist.

As I've experienced before, it was reasonably fast to start with today, but things got slower and slower.

I also used the Quick Reply for the first time today and ended up with a duplicate post.

Edit: it's just got faster as I posted this.

Ninjahedge
May 14th, 2010, 10:25 AM
There does not seem to be any real pattern to it, at least not from our end.

I think Zip is being blocked by the provider on a general IP list to prevent the DDoS attacks they had earlier. This is pretty common. But as for the random slowdowns.... :confused:

Also, I have not had a problem with double post. The only thing that seems to do that sometimes is when you click on "submit" and it did not seem to work, so you hit it again. I have had that problem on other websites, so I think it is a common vB error/annoyance.

Ed, even if it is minor stuff, please keep us posted so we know that things are going on behind the curtain at the back of the room.

Sometimes that alone is enough to keep people coming back in hopes of a brighter tomorrow.

ZippyTheChimp
May 14th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Last night the proxy was also slow; while submitting a post, I think I travelled back in time.

But...

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Thank you, Edward!

for unblocking my IP.

**As I stated in an earlier post, I was submitting a post when the site went down for maintenance. The server will block any input during this process so data doesn't get corrupted. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like that hasn't happened before.

Sorry for the exuberance while problems exist. Just thought this thread could use some positive input.

ZippyTheChimp
May 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I don't think the slowness is Vbulletin related, or it would be a major issue. Many forums use it.

It can't be latest Apache software (released months ago) or half the internet would be screaming. I think it's the host.

Back to griping: I don't like the search function. Maybe I just need t get more familiar with it.

Edward: Can we get back the Google Search Box?

**You can do this at Google. The format is:

SITE:WIREDNEWYORK.COM/FORUM - followed by search keywords.

Edward
May 14th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I do share everyone's frustration with the slowness and the timeouts. If there were a magic push button that solved all the problems, I would push it by now, however this is a bit more complicated.

The DoS attacks seem to be stopped by now, the side effect being that while firewall was blocking suspicious IPs, it also blocked some legitimate, like mine own and Zippy's. It does seem that vBulletin version 4 is more resource hungry and puts more stress on the server.

The additional factor to this could be the ongoing effort to move the rest of Wired New York website from plain HTML to Wordpress platform. This move allows increased member participation in building this website, just look at the wonderful job Merry did editing Book Recommendations (http://wirednewyork.com/books/) page as well as BrooklynRider's monumental effort in editing Architects (http://wirednewyork.com/architects/) page, New Construction (http://wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/new/) page, as well as numerous pages related to specific buildings. The Wordpress however requires more server resources than plain HTML and that could be contributing to the problem.

I did consider upgrading the server, and that might be happening soon. However even more powerful server will not be able to handle the load if the Apache with PHP and MySql are not optimized. The optimization requires a knowledgeable person with experience in such matters. The server host did a general Apache optimization, and vBulletin support does offer some advice which I will try to implement, but frankly speaking my own expertise does not go far enough in this.

I do intend to find a solution to current problems, it just takes time, and I apologize for it taking so long.

stache
May 14th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Thank you Edward.

Merry
May 15th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Thank you, Edward, for explaining things...

...but, anyway, without you, we wouldn't have this fantastic meeting place :).

HoveringCheesecake
May 17th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Stick with her, guys! This place is still #1 for NYC architecture.

BrooklynRider
May 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I share the frustration. I also noticed that, although I am logged in, the forum page still shows me as not logged in. It's unusual, but I just ignore it. The speed is the primary problem for me. In reality I'm only waiting a few more seconds for the site to react, but these days those seconds are excruciating. As a Mod, it becomes difficult to read through the threads at the old pace and do the work that needs to be done. I'm finding that, due to time constraints, I am on the site maybe twice a week as opposed to daily. Does anyone visit other sites using this version? Are they slower than the old WNY, too?

stache
May 19th, 2010, 07:57 AM
The speed has been good for me the last couple of days.

HoveringCheesecake
May 20th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I share the frustration. I also noticed that, although I am logged in, the forum page still shows me as not logged in. It's unusual, but I just ignore it. The speed is the primary problem for me. In reality I'm only waiting a few more seconds for the site to react, but these days those seconds are excruciating. As a Mod, it becomes difficult to read through the threads at the old pace and do the work that needs to be done. I'm finding that, due to time constraints, I am on the site maybe twice a week as opposed to daily. Does anyone visit other sites using this version? Are they slower than the old WNY, too?

As stache said, the speed seems to be getting better. I visit several other sites that use this version and there aren't any speed issues.

Jasonik
May 24th, 2010, 03:19 PM
While the 'bug' of Reply to Thread ≠ Go Advanced is (still) merely annoying, the indispensable Replies: (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/misc.php?do=whoposted&t=23578) post-count-by-member search for a given thread from the sub-forum thread-list page (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30) only looks like it works, and simply can't be worked around without resorting to a tedious (and largely neutered) advanced search fiasco. While the number on the right in prior versions called up the specific posts within the thread for a given user, now it infuriatingly goes to a useless list (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&userid=2225&searchthreadid=23578) of their blog posts and threads. :mad:

stache
May 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Speed is still pretty good for me.

ablarc
June 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
EDWARD, I'm sorry to say I think the new format SUCKS.

I can't even find my recent posts, because there doesn't seem to be a path.

Under "Community", I find "groups" and "friends". What use is either of those?

ablarc
June 10th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Whatever happened to the "Members List"? Is it gone forever? If so,why"

Ninjahedge
June 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM
I find it hard to get to my own blogs so I can post something.....

Any easy tag takes me to my info as if I wanted to read it or something!!! ;)

Merry
June 11th, 2010, 09:28 PM

Good question.

Edward
June 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Member list was disabled as part of measures to reduce the load on the forum database. Was it really important? Can we do without it?

ablarc
June 18th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Member list was disabled as part of measures to reduce the load on the forum database. Was it really important? Can we do without it?
Yes, it was really important. Can we do without it? Sure. we can do without almost anything. We can eat grasshoppers.

But now the search function seems disabled. I keep getting the following message, in spite of having logged in faithfully:

Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.
It won't let me find old posts.

Is this new version of the forum really better? I respectfully claim that it's not.

Please give us back the old forum.

Merry
June 18th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, it was really important.

I agree. Has disabling it actually made a difference to the forum's performance?

But now the search function seems disabled. I keep getting the following message, in spite of having logged in faithfully:Clearing the cache in your browser may help.

Is this new version of the forum really better? I respectfully claim that it's not.I can't see anything that's better, either; just different and sometimes problematic. I assume, however, that there was a good reason/s for the upgrade?

Please give us back the old forum.Oh, no! I've only just got used to this one!

Merry
June 18th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Has anyone else found that the "Mark This Forum Read" option under the Forum Tools menu often doesn't work?

Edward
June 18th, 2010, 12:39 PM
This morning upgraded to latest 4.0.4 version.

ablarc
June 18th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Seems to me, those awful emoticons are back (tell me it ain't so).

In general, do we need this "upgrade" ?

Edward, are you sure it's not a downgrade?

Sure seems so to me.

Merry
June 19th, 2010, 08:46 AM
^ I'm sure Edward will get around to uploading the old emoticons again eventually, like he did last time.

In the meantime, the "Mark This Forum Read" menu option still doesn't work consistently. All other options on the Forum Tools menu seem to work OK.

lofter1
June 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
The "Manage Attachments" option now gives a link to the attached image rather than showing the image at the bottom of the post.

Alonzo-ny
June 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I should point out that the site is still loading prohibitively slow for me.

Edward
June 20th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Seems to me, those awful emoticons are back Fixed ... :cool:

ablarc
June 20th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Now, if you can just bring back the Members List ...

Edward
June 20th, 2010, 02:03 PM
The "Manage Attachments" option now gives a link to the attached image rather than showing the image at the bottom of the post. This is now fixed.

Edward
June 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I should point out that the site is still loading prohibitively slow for me.The site is moving to an upgraded server soon.

lofter1
June 20th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks for all your hard work, Edward (but the low-end emoticons remain :cool: )

I take that ^ back. The better ones show up when a post is submitted, but in "Go Advance" the other ones still show up. :confused:

Seems as I use them they revert to the up-graded version. ;)

So I'll have to try them all :(

ZippyTheChimp
June 20th, 2010, 03:59 PM
The site is moving to an upgraded server soon.I think a server issue is the main reason for the slower response. When I eliminate some external scripts, it loads much faster. Facebook seems to be a major culprit.

I still don't like the search function.

scumonkey
June 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I still don't like the search function.
seconded- it stinks.

Edward
June 22nd, 2010, 10:19 AM
The server was upgraded last night, and the forum should now be faster.

ZippyTheChimp
June 22nd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Big difference. Much faster.

Ninjahedge
June 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Very little lag. Much cleaner links.

stache
June 22nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Big yay for Edward!

MidtownGuy
June 26th, 2010, 07:46 PM
This is working very smoothly and quickly now. Thanks.

ablarc
July 1st, 2010, 06:23 PM
Can we have the members list back?

Merry
June 14th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Ah, Edward, it appears we now have more editing options when we click on Go Advanced to post something.

The post window is also now much wider :). I quite liked the option to increase the vertical size of the post window, though :(.

I also noticed an Auto-Saved message popping up in the bottom right-hand corner http://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.png :).

ZippyTheChimp
June 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I quite liked the option to increase the vertical size of the post window, though :("Drag to resize" triangle at the lower right of the post window.

Merry
June 14th, 2011, 08:35 AM
"Drag to resize" triangle at the lower right of the post window.

Doh, of course, I knew that :o. Thanks, Zippy.

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2011, 08:43 AM
The spellcheck does not seem to be "connected" to anything yet, however.....

ZippyTheChimp
June 14th, 2011, 09:16 AM
This may be different on your computer...

With Firefox, spellcheck red-underlines misspelled words; but to make the word clickable with correction choices, I have to "Switch Editor to Source Mode," the A/A button at the left corner of the post window header.

ZippyTheChimp
June 14th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Doh, of course, I knew that :o. Thanks, Zippy.It was easier to explain it than it was to find it.

How does "auto-saved" work?

Merry
June 14th, 2011, 09:45 AM
^ Still should've known, since I've seen and used that triangle in other applications :rolleyes:.

The auto-save message seems to activate every couple of minutes.

I just closed down WNY and reopened it. There was a "Restore Auto-Saved Content" button in the bottom left corner of the editing screen, which I clicked and, voila, it restored what was last saved.

Obviously good for crashes/hanging. Works in both Quick Reply and Go Advanced.

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Using IE here. I have "ieSpell" on here and can right-click on the text field to do a check, but I do not have any real-time text checking (ala Foxtrot or Gmail...)

ZippyTheChimp
June 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
What I was trying to say is that spellcheck works the same for me now as before the software change.

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I know.

What I was saying was that for me, on IE, it was not. This might be one way to determine what is going on, or if others are having a similar problem with IE....

ZippyTheChimp
June 15th, 2011, 06:44 AM
Does IE9 have spellcheck functionality built in?

http://www.speckie.com/home/

Ninjahedge
June 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM
It might, but here at work we are on IE8...

Sorry, I should have included that in my original post...