PDA

View Full Version : Militarizing the border?

Fabrizio
May 25th, 2010, 04:18 PM
1,200 troops... and 500 million dollars.

Obama Set To Send 1,200 Troops To US-Mexico Border
ERICA WERNER AND JACQUES BILLEAUD

WASHINGTON President Barack Obama will send 1,200 National Guard troops to help secure the U.S.-Mexico border, an administration official and an Arizona congresswoman said Tuesday, pre-empting Republican plans to try to force votes on such a deployment.

Obama will also request $500 million for border protection and law enforcement activities, they said.

The National Guard troops will work on intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance support, analysis and training, and support efforts blocking drug trafficking. The troops will temporarily supplement border patrol agents until Customs and Border Patrol can recruit and train additional officers and agents to serve on the border, the administration official said.

The official, speaking on condition of anonymity ahead of a public announcement, disclosed the plans shortly after Obama met at the Capitol with Republican senators who pressed him on immigration issues including the question of sending Guard troops to the border.

Arizona Republican Sens. John McCain and Jon Kyl have been urging such a move and Republicans planned to try to attach it as an amendment to a pending war spending bill.

In a speech Tuesday on the Senate floor, Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the situation on the border has "greatly deteriorated." He called for 6,000 National Guard troops to be sent to the U.S.-Mexico border.

"I appreciate the additional 1,200 being sent ... as well as an additional $500 million, but it's simply not enough," McCain said.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., said in a statement that the administration would announce the deployments later in the day Tuesday.

Homeland Security and Pentagon officials have been jousting over the possible National Guard deployment for the better part of a year. Pentagon officials worried about perceptions that the U.S. was militarizing the border and did not want Guard troops to perform law enforcement duties.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/25/obama-set-to-send-1200-tr_n_589208.html

lofter1
May 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said the situation on the border has "greatly deteriorated." He called for 6,000 National Guard troops to be sent to the U.S.-Mexico border.

"I appreciate the additional 1,200 being sent ... as well as an additional $500 million, but it's simply not enough," McCain said.

How much of that hated Federal $$ does Old John want?

Fabrizio
May 26th, 2010, 07:59 AM
From what I can tell, the effort of controlling the border with troops is understandable considering the situation.

What I find funny is that if a European leader were to send 1,200 troops to protect their border from North Africa, the article would have surely contained the words "racist" and "xenophobic".

BBMW
May 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
^
Well Europe does have that handy moat in the way. It's little more formitable than the Rio Grande.

I do think we have the right, and the responsibility to control who comes into the country.

Ninjahedge
May 26th, 2010, 04:25 PM
No we don't, especially when they are the ones mowing our lawns, picking our strawberries, and packing our literal meat.

The problem is simple, if we do not want them here, do not HIRE them. If there was nothing for them to work for, they would not come over. Our food is more expensive, and so is our land, and Health Care, although better, is not free (and they can easily get shipped back if they come in, which makes many only come in when the injury becomes life threatening, thus costing us more to heal them and send them back).

If John took a stronger stand against the people he found hiring these guys, INCLUDING the big companies, then maybe we would need less people policing the border.

Nobody wants to break into an empty house.....

BBMW
May 26th, 2010, 05:38 PM
If we had better control over who was coming in, I wouldn't mind them coming over. I just think it's actively dangerous to allow our borders and society in general to be so porous and out of control.

For example:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/terror-alert-mexican-border/

Ninjahedge
May 31st, 2010, 07:34 PM
It isn't a question of controling the border. This is not a mountain pass and trying to secure it is impractical.

If there was no (illegal) work, there would be MUCH less border crossing.

Period.