PDA

View Full Version : New York Giants

Pages : [1] 2

ZippyTheChimp
September 17th, 2010, 02:54 PM
We have several Giants threads, but all are too specific to other teams. Can't really merge any, so starting a new overall thread.

There was too much hoopla in the first meeting of the Manning Brothers in 2006, when Eli was only in his second full season as the starting QB. Now both of them have won a Super Bowl, so Eli Peyton II should be a good game Sunday night.

Eli looked sharp last week, despite too many dropped passes by the wideouts. Peyton is not going to want to start the season 0-2.

NYatKNIGHT
September 17th, 2010, 03:25 PM
And Eli doesn't want to be the loser to his brother again. Looking forward to it. Colts are favored by 5.5 - we'll see!

I went to the game last week, it was my first time in the new stadium. My review is mixed: there are obvious upgrades, particularly to the screens on the field. Open concourses are always appreciated too, with some new screens to see the game. But for an upper decker like me (since 1984) it took a lot longer to get up and down to the parking lot from there, which sucks. The mens rooms were no better as far as the line goes (by the second quarter most figured out that the best way in is through the back door). Better beer selection and more concession choices, that's good. Bigger stadium, but no louder - the other side of the field is now waaaaay over there. The stadium is so neutral, not all blue lighting and all GIANTS as I thought it was supposed to be. Maybe the super wealthy are thrilled with their upgrades, but to me it's just "eh", and it certainly doesn't feel as much as the Giants home as it used to. That might sound obvious and unimportant, but it actually weighs heavily on my personal review. In the end, out in the seats it felt like a regular Giants game, which is what counts the most, until you factor in my PSL then I get pissed all over again. GO GIANTS!

ZippyTheChimp
September 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Free game for the Giants. Great start if they win, but not a big deal if they lose. Just need to play well on national TV.

For all its deficiencies, I really liked the old stadium. Sort of like I felt about old YS, except that the new one immediately feels like home. Not good to hear that it's less a GIANTS' HOUSE. Should have kept the Jets as tenants. :p

BTW, I keep asking my Jets friends, "Where is Showtime? I looked for Showtime on Monday, but couldn't find it. Will there be Showtime this Sunday? I don't wanna miss Showtime again. Show me Showtime."

I'll be really obnoxious if the Jets lose again.

ZippyTheChimp
October 27th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Nothing takes the sting out of the Yankee playoff elimination like watching the Giants light a fire in the Cowboys' house, as Jerry Jones sees his plans for a home team Super Bowl in his shiny new stadium go up in smoke.

Jerry thought last year's team was good enough, so he made no moves. Now he's 1-5, with a 38 year-old immobile QB, and a dumbass coach that doesn't know when to kick a FG.

Giants are 2-0 in Cowboys Stadium.

JCMAN320
October 27th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Nothing takes the sting out of the Yankee playoff elimination like watching the Giants light a fire in the Cowboys' house, as Jerry Jones sees his plans for a home team Super Bowl in his shiny new stadium go up in smoke.

Jerry thought last year's team was good enough, so he made no moves. Now he's 1-5, with a 38 year-old immobile QB, and a dumbass coach that doesn't know when to kick a FG.

Giants are 2-0 in Cowboys Stadium.

Thats 5 QBs I believe weve knocked out. The D is movin on up!!!

JCMAN320
November 8th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Cowboys fire coach Wade Phillips

Published: Monday, November 08, 2010, 3:29 PM Updated: Monday, November 08, 2010, 4:21 PM
The Associated Press

http://media.nj.com/giants_impact/photo/9031023-large.jpg
Rodger Mallison/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT
Having won just once in eight games this season, the Cowboys fired coach Wade Phillips today.

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys have fired coach Wade Phillips and promoted offensive coordinator Jason Garrett to take his place, according to media reports.

Team owner-general manager Jerry Jones reportedly decided enough was enough today, following a 45-7 loss to the Green Bay Packers the night before. It was the Cowboys' fifth straight loss, dropping them to 1-7.

This is their worst season since 1989 and among the worst in franchise history by record alone. Realistically, it's the low point considering Dallas was coming off a division title and a playoff win, and was expected to contend for the Super Bowl that'll be held at Cowboys Stadium.

Phillips' departure takes another dubious spot in club history: the first in-season coaching change.

The first game under Garrett will be at the Giants on Sunday at New Meadowlands Stadium.

Just about everything has gone wrong this half-season. The constant has been mindless mistakes: penalties, turnovers and other breakdowns befitting an expansion team, not one of the highest-paid rosters in the NFL. Phillips couldn't get them to snap them out of it. He tried being loyal instead of benching the guys who were underperforming the most. That only seemed to make things worse.

The bottom has fallen out since quarterback Tony Romo broke his left collarbone Oct. 25 against the Giants. Maybe that was to be expected, except that the defense has been the bigger problem.

That unit has allowed at least 35 points in three straight games, something the Cowboys hadn't done since their inaugural season, 1960, when they went 0-11-1. Stranger still, it's almost exactly the same guys who closed last season with the first back-to-back shutouts in club history. This may have been Phillips' undoing because he also was defensive coordinator.

Jones had steadfastly supported Phillips throughout this tailspin, even saying late last week that Phillips would keep the job the rest of the year. The first five losses had all been by a touchdown or less, which showed players were still fighting. But a second straight humiliating loss left Jones with little choice. Something had to change to spark interest in the final eight games.

"There are a lot of people that certainly are going to suffer and suffer consequences," Jones said Sunday night.

Garrett's unit hasn't been much better, but he's been viewed as the coach-in-waiting since he was hired -- days before Phillips.

Garrett, 44, becomes the first former Cowboys player to become head coach. He was a backup quarterback behind Troy Aikman from 1993-99. He was the quarterbacks coach in Miami in 2005-06 before rejoining the club in 2007. He's had the title of assistant head coach since 2008, when he withdrew from other interviews to remain with the club.

His father was a longtime scout for the Cowboys and he has two brothers on his staff: tight ends coach John and Judd, the director of pro scouting.

The 63-year-old Phillips would leave with a 34-22 record over 4 1/2 seasons guiding the Cowboys. He also was 1-2 in the postseason. Dallas won the NFC East twice on his watch.

His career record as a head coach with Dallas, Denver and Buffalo is 79-57, but only 1-5 in the postseason. He had only one losing record in eight full seasons. Counting a 3-4 mark over two stints as an interim coach, Phillips has 82 regular-season wins, matching the total of his father, former Houston and New Orleans coach Bum Phillips.

Phillips' job was shaky after a 44-6 loss to Philadelphia to close the 2008 season kept them out of the playoffs, and again last season when the Cowboys appeared headed toward a collapse in early December and Philllips' contract was expiring. But they pulled out of it so impressively that Phillips received a contract for this season and next. He's owed at least $3 million for 2011.

It's quite possible this will be Phillips' final turn as an NFL head coach, although he could resurface as a defensive coordinator, his specialty throughout a 34-year career in pro football.

This year, the defense couldn't stop the run (routinely allowing 100-yard rushers, something they didn't even do once last season) and was helpless against the pass, offering neither a rush nor good coverage.

The offense wasn't clicking even when Romo was healthy. The problems stem from an offensive line that consistently seems overmatched whether it's trying to open holes for running backs or protect the quarterback. The backfield trio of Marion Barber, Felix Barber and Tashard Choice hasn't done much even when the holes were there. The lasting image of the receivers this season is of footballs ricocheting off them and into the hands of defensive players.

Even the special teams have been a disappointment.

Dallas has been solid covering punts, but struggled to stop kickoff returns, another oddity because many of the same guys are on both units. Teams are taking advantage of the weakness, too. When David Buehler booted a kickoff 6 yards deep to start the second half against Green Bay, the Packers returned it anyway -- and took it nearly to midfield.

The Cowboys have tried nearly every trick in the turnaround handbook -- a players-only meeting; an emotional speech from special teams coach Joe DeCamillis about nearly being killed when the team's indoor practice facility collapsed; a speech by Jones last week; a change in practice schedule; and, this past week, a return to fundamentals.

So now Jones is trying pretty much the only thing left.

Speculation will persist on the club's next permanent leader. Obvious candidates include former Super Bowl winners Bill Cowher and Jon Gruden, both working in broadcasting.

NYatKNIGHT
November 15th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Aaargh! That was painful to watch when there wasn't a blackout.

Off topic: Now that I've been to the new stadium a few times I decided I don't really like it AT ALL.

eddhead
November 16th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Well, I haven't been there yet, but I am a Jets' fan and from that perspective anything was better than the old place. I can see how Giants' fans would feel differently, but to a Jets' fan that place just never felt like home.

ZippyTheChimp
September 25th, 2011, 05:11 PM
No matter how the season unfolds, Giants fans had our Super Bowl today.

0-6 monkey off our back. D played great. Broke Vick's hand (should have been the left one).

eddhead
September 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
Have to hand it to them, they played well all around. I am not a huge Eli fan, but he played well. They pretty much did what they wanted. Pretty impressive win.

ZippyTheChimp
September 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Justin Tuck, 6-5 300 lb Giants DE, has written a children's book, Home Field Advantage, about growing up in a household with five older sisters.

http://0.tqn.com/d/preschoolers/1/0/a/G/-/-/justin.jpg http://newsday.p2ionline.com/genericspecialsection/data/images/2593800s1x1x1.jpg

Book reading and signing in Tribeca:

Monday, October 3rd, at 6PM
Barnes & Noble
97 Warren St (the 101 Warren St building)

ZippyTheChimp
October 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
With the NFC East wide open, looking ahead to the back end of the schedule, which may be the toughest in the NFL, the Giants are going to regret losing maybe the easiest game of the season.

I don't know how they managed it.

The Seahawks suck.
They traveled across the country for a 1PM game at the Meadowlands.
They lost their starting QB in the second half, replaced by Whitehurst. Whitehurst became Dan Marino. WTF?
They got several defensive red-zone breaks from the bumbling Seahawks.

It was a team effort.

eddhead
October 12th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I was truly stunned watching that game. Never in a million years did I think the Giants would lose. That is a tough loss to a team they have to beat.

eddhead
October 17th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Good win for the Giants yesterday. Eli and Bradshaw were both terrific. Maybe the best games I have seem the two of them play together ever.

Hard to believe they could lose to the Seahawks one week, and come back with a game like that yesterday. I thought they played very well.

mariab
October 17th, 2011, 01:41 PM
That was close.

ZippyTheChimp
November 6th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Another Patriots streak bites the dust.

ZippyTheChimp
November 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM
Ochocinco should change his name again.

Cerocero.

ZippyTheChimp
December 5th, 2011, 09:28 AM
It's hard to find fault here.

Toe to toe with the best team in the NFL, to the last 3 seconds. Almost ended another streak. When they're good, they're entertaining.

But still...

Get a gift from Arizona, and can't take advantage.

Bingo
December 5th, 2011, 11:59 AM
The Giants loss, end of story. If I could only really say that...they got hosed by some bad refereeing. I walked out of Giants Stadium yesterday happy but pissed off. That phantom hold call on the DB was insane.

eddhead
December 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
It is not necessarily over... they still have 2 games with Dallas. If they play with the same intensitiy as they did yesterday, they might actually run the table and go 10-6. With two wins over Dallas, that could get them the division.

As well as they played, you can't be too happy with allowing Greenbay to rusn down the field with 58 seconds left. I know Rogers is awesome, but someone needed to step up in the last minute. Still they played a great game and proved they can play withy anyone.

mariab
December 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Well they were 10-6 in 2007. There's still hope.

ZippyTheChimp
December 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Well, that was mildly exciting.

:)

Bingo
December 12th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I swear my 8 month old child's firsts words are going to be "Fckn Giants" lol. Wow, what a win. Now to beat Washington this Sunday. One week at a time.

ZippyTheChimp
December 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Did you get earplugs for your little one?

Bingo
December 19th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I was @ the game, no little one around....although I did beat the traffic...I stayed until the end.

eddhead
December 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
^ I am sorry to read that. What a horrible effort.

Bingo
December 19th, 2011, 11:02 PM
With about 5-7 minutes left in the game, there were about 100 people in the entire upper level, goal line to goal line, on the visitors side. Although, temperature wise it wasn't the coldest game I've ever been to, but it felt like the coldest game I was ever at once the sun went down.

ZippyTheChimp
January 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
In a perfect weekend, the Giants beat the Falcons, and the Lions beat the Saints. That would mean the Giants don't travel to Green Bay; they would go to SF, where they match up better with the 49ers.

eddhead
January 4th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I can see the Giants beatng the Falcons, but not the Lions beating the Saints in NO. The Saints are too good at home. Besides, if Detroit's D could not stop Greenbay's second team offence, I can't see them doing much against the Saints either.

ZippyTheChimp
January 9th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Big D. A blast from the past.

mariab
January 9th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Green Bay scares the hell out of me. Plus, we'll be in Green Bay.

ZippyTheChimp
January 9th, 2012, 04:17 PM
What's there to be scared about?

The Packers are the best team in the NFL. With all of the preseason injuries, losing key players to other teams, and the projected strength of the Eagles, I figured that we would be lucky to get a wild card.

But we got a home playoff game, first home playoff win since 2000. After the two wins to get into the postseason, there was pressure to win yesterday. Now we're playing with house money. Three "playoff intensity" games in a row, while ten Packer starters including Rodgers will have not played a game in three weeks. They're the better team, but all the pressure to win is on them. If the Giants play well, they have a chance.

Just enjoy the game. I expect that the Giants will lose, but I won't be surprised if they win.

eddhead
January 9th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Their best game of the season. D showed up big time, and the Offense was solid in the second half. They ran the ball well, and came up with some very big passing plays as well. I give Eli a lot of credit

The Giants are peaking at the right time. They are going to give Greenbay all they can handle next week.

ZippyTheChimp
January 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
DB Aaron Ross cleared on concussion exam. OK to practice.

eddhead
January 12th, 2012, 12:12 PM
The Giants remind me a little of Greenbay last year. They did not go into the playoffs with an especially great record, but they are much better than what their record indicate. They just might take Greenbay this week. It should be a good game.

Ninjahedge
January 13th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Total non-sequitor (sorry).

It is odd that i am now living in a place where I can see the stadium, in the distance, from my house but I am not a football fan.

Every time I see MetLife now I think of my uncle who would thread his way through the back roads around Teterboro airport just to avoid the traffic on Route 3....

Again, sorry... you may continue! ;)

ZippyTheChimp
January 13th, 2012, 09:55 AM
The Giants are peaking at the right time. They are going to give Greenbay all they can handle next week.The Giants D Line will probably decide the game. Unless Eli has a bad game, the Giants will score. The way the Packers have been winning at home: It becomes a two-score game, and the D starts taking chances, looking for the turnover.

So the Giants have to keep the score close, put pressure on Rogers and keep him from getting into a rhythm. Since Rogers likes to run if no one is open, I wonder if the Giants will put a spy on him. But that would take one man out of pass coverage.

It would be nice if the Giants can maintain a running game that moves the chains, but although the running game has picked up somewhat, I haven't seen much evidence of a ball-control team this year. Hopefully they will pop a few big running plays to keep the Packers honest, but I don't see the run as a key.

Giants can't afford any turnovers. Don't care about special team runbacks; just catch the ball.

eddhead
January 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Greenbay was 14th in the league in rushing yds per game defense - but they were 26th in yds per attempt given up in defense (4.7). I guess this is because they were constantly playing in front, forcing their opponents to throw more than what would be optimal. Still, I have to think the Giants will be able to run the ball pretty well and keep Rodgers off the field.

I agree that pass rushing Rodgers is trickey and that the Giants may assign a spy on him. If Eli plays well, and I think he will, the Giants will be in this one until the end. I think they have a shot.

ZippyTheChimp
January 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Giants survived two incredibly bad calls by the refs, each of which almost changed the game.

ZippyTheChimp
January 16th, 2012, 01:10 AM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/gallery_images/photos/001/238/108/137113927_crop_450x500.jpg?1326662880

eddhead
January 16th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Giants survived two incredibly bad calls by the refs, each of which almost changed the game.
I assume you mean the fumble that never was, and the roughing call. I agree. How they missed the first one,with replay, is beyond me. But a great win by the Giants.

ZippyTheChimp
January 16th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, those two.

I guess the layoff affected the Packers. They seemed lazy on several plays. On the TD pass at the half, besides allowing Bradshaw to cross the field and get out of bounds to set it up, look at where the Packer DBs are when the pass is thrown.

At 8 seconds on the vid, Nicks is turning for the ball. The Packers only had two DBs in the end zone, and both were blocked off by Nicks. No one was in front except the Giants' Cruz, and he later said that he thought about making a play for the ball but realized that Nicks was in good position.

Five Packer DBs were still outside the end zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZnF5Iymrs8

mariab
January 16th, 2012, 09:28 PM
^Shades of the famous 'helmet catch'. I almost posted a deliciously obnoxious Sunday Daily News cover mocking the Jets, but I thought it bad luck.

ZippyTheChimp
January 16th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Check out the faces in the stands.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxwck1pvpq1qm9rypo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId =AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1326856428&Signature=UBp0v0NfzulyJ9iWIPtCIxYAz9I%3D

mariab
January 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
What a game. A good hard fought game, with few exceptions. Looking forward to doing battle with the Cheatriots again.

eddhead
January 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
The NY Jets mention was not appreciatedhttp://wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon8.png .

Seriously, it was a great win for the Giants ... tough defense and special teams plays, and timely clutch throws by Eli who is emerging as a real force. Overall his numbers yesterday were not great, but he made some big plays when called upon to do so, despite being under duress all day. I think the Giants may have the balance necessary to beat the Pats who are pretty much a one-trick pony despite their impressive record and playoff performance. Should be a great game.

mariab
January 23rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
I definitely wasn't starting stuff, it was more a jab toward Rex than anything. There was one point late in the game, late 3rd quarter or 4th, where Eli was sacked by 3 or 4 49ers, with no other Giants around. Also, with about a minute left in the 4th, Eli threw the lamest limp pass I've ever seen him throw. They have to watch things like that or they're finished.

ZippyTheChimp
January 24th, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'll be more than happy of the Giants play the same way in the SB as they did in SF.

Bingo
January 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
My daughter's vocabulary has increased..."Howayabout those ****in' Giants!" lol

eddhead
January 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I definitely wasn't starting stuff,

I know, I was just kidding.

TREPYE
January 26th, 2012, 01:23 PM
This run at the end of the season signifies primarily 2 things:

The awakening of a defense that could be dominant and stop ANYBODY.

But most importantly, the legend of Eli....

I have been following sports since the early 90's, and I cannot remember feeling more pride, admiration, excitement and enjoyment from watching one player of the teams that I root for than I do when I watch Eli Manning. With ice in his veins, cool as a cucumber demeanor that he exudes, the clutchness of the great Mariano Rivera comes to mind. Eli is in perhaps in a more pivotal predicament as he is THE part that his team revolves around.

Watching him these past few weeks, and especially last week when it rained water, mud and defensive ends all over him in SF he showed the heart of a lion coming through with play after play. One that stands out in particular is a third down pass to Bradshaw down the left sideline with 3 49ers less than a half a step away from clobbering him.. I dont get how he got that throw off so accurately (00:38 (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012012201/2011/POST20/giants@49ers#menu=highlights)) .... what a tough SOB he is.

ZippyTheChimp
February 4th, 2012, 08:57 AM
A few stadium facts seem to favor the Giants.

Field Turf has replaced Astroturf as the artificial playing surface of choice. Good traction benefits the Giants pass rush, and the ability of the offense to stretch out the defense.

Giants home field? Like Steelers fans, Giants fans travel well. On the secondary market, NFL Ticket Exchange data shows 23% of ticket sales from NY-NJ, 5% from MA. 7.5% from CT, but like Yankees-Red Sox, fan base is split. It's Peyton Manning's home field, so figure most of local attendance will stay with the family.

I think the big key to the game is the Pats O-line vs Giants D-line.

Giants have to worry about Pats DT Vince Wilfolk. Giants center David Bass has had a disappointing year.

Belichick may vary double coverage on Nicks and Cruz, leaving Manning to figure out which one will draw single coverage. Manningham a key?

Pats need Gronkowski to play well. I think he'll play, but not sure how effective in the 2nd half, after a 30 minute halftime.

TREPYE
February 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Considering the ostentacious (and idiotic) overconfidnece of the Giants defensive unit has demonstrated this past week and the motivational value it serves to Brady and his offense, I expect this to be a high-scoring affair.

Good defense vs. an extra-motivated good offense
Good/great offense vs. a very well coached mediocre defense

All I can hope for as a Giants fan right now is that Eli has the ball last withing a touchdowns' score...

ZippyTheChimp
February 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Brady needs to be motivated for a Super Bowl game?

TREPYE
February 4th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Thats the point, the defense should not be giving him any "extra" incentive than he already has. Competitors play better when they have something to prove.
Last time he was the one who was overconfident, and I liked it better that way; with his "were only going to score 17 pts?" jab he threw at the defense it served as fodder for the Giants D-line to play wildly out of their minds on SB42. Watching the reruns of it, I cannot help to notice that that line out hustled and outhearted the Pats O-line all game long.

The pregame rhetoic role reversal is in place, lets see how it manifests itself tomorrow...

GO BIG BLUE!!!

ZippyTheChimp
February 4th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Thats the point, the defense should not be giving him any "extra" incentive than he already has.I would agree if this were a regular-season game, where a much better team might take an overmatched opponent lightly until the weaker team trash-talked; but this is a championship game. Both teams should expect to win going in.

Competitors play better when they have something to prove.I think that Brady and Belichick have a lot more riding on this game, despite their history.

Since they lost SB XLII to the Giants:
Missed the playoffs in 2008-09.
Knocked out in the first game by the Ravens in 2009-10. In Foxborough.
Knocked out in the first game by the Jets in 2010-11. In Foxborough.

They haven't won a SB in seven years. Do they want to be knocked out again by a NY team?

Last time he was the one who was overconfident, and I liked it better that way; with his "were only going to score 17 pts?" jab he threw at the defense it served as fodder for the Giants D-line to play wildly out of their minds on SB42.Although a lot has been made of the similarities between the two seasons, the team matchups are very different.

In XLII, the Pats were clearly the better team. The Giants pulled off maybe the biggest upset in SB history. They played the best they could. The Pats didn't play badly; the game was in doubt until the end.

The teams are more evenly matched this time around, but I think the Giants are the better team. Don't let the line fool you. Sometimes they are "technically" set, but ultimately they are set to divide the betting money equally on both sides. There's a lot of casual betting on the SB, and at first glance, #1 seed and 10 in a row look impressive. But if you take a closer look at the end of the season and the playoffs...

While the Giants had five must-win games in a row, the Pats ended their season coasting at Denver, home against Miami, and home against Buffalo. A bye in the first round, then Denver again at home. The only notable game they've played was the AFC championship, and the Ravens handed them the win.

Tomorrow is their first game outside Foxborough since Dec 15.

Watching the reruns of it, I cannot help to notice that that line out hustled and outhearted the Pats O-line all game long.Although the Pats were a better team, the 2007-08 Giants had one of the best D-lines in the league. Justin Tuck came of age, and wrecked the game. They could have just as easily given him the MVP. We'll know tomorrow night if the present D-line is as good as Strahan, Umenyiora, and Tuck. Maybe JPP comes of age.

The pregame rhetoic role reversal is in place, lets see how it manifests itself tomorrow...The only time you have to worry about trash-talking in a game like this is if it masks tension and doubt. From all the media reports I've heard and read, the Giants are focused and relaxed. Their practices have gone well.

BTW, the Giants did trash talk in 2008. Burris and others.

ZippyTheChimp
February 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Off to SB party #26.

Good luck G-Men.

futurecity
February 5th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Good luck to the Giants!

eddhead
February 5th, 2012, 07:14 PM
IThe Giants pulled off maybe the biggest upset in SB history.

Second biggest. ;)

Still, good luck.

mariab
February 5th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Holy crap I just lost 25 pounds in the last quarter alone!

Yeesssssss!!!!

eddhead
February 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
It was a great game, and congratulations to all the Giants fans. Yet as the game was ending I could not help but recall this play and wonder what the Giants' season would have been like had it been called a fumble.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ycn-10132589

Of course the Giants also got screwed against Green Bay, so I guess it all evens out.

Still, great job by Eli. With 2 Superbowl MVP's he has to be considered right up their with the best of the league's MVPs.

The Giants deserved the win, yhey outplayed the Pats today.

antinimby
February 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Woohoo! Congrats Giants!

JCMAN320
February 6th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Way to go Giants!!! What a game!! I can't believe we beat them again!! Giants win their 4th Super Bowl; 8th NFL Championship overall; 3rd most in the NFL!! They are also only one of 5 teams to win 4 Super Bowls!! Eli is the first NY quarterback to WIN two Super Bowls; Simms was on the team in 90 but was hurt; Jeff Hostetler won it for the Giants in 90. This is awesome; I will be going to my second parade in 4 years on Tuesday!! I wonder if Rex Ryan will show up and see how a REAL team wins a Super Bowl!! This will always be a Giants town just like this will always be a Yankees town!

Bingo
February 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Only one iconic sentence can sum up the Giants season. What a long strange trip it's been.

Fantastic roller coaster ride of a season.

eddhead
February 6th, 2012, 11:33 AM
February 6th, 2012Uh oh: Gisele blames the receivers after the Patriots Super Bowl XLVI loss (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2012/02/06/uh-oh-gisele-blames-the-receivers-after-the-patriots-super-bowl-xlvi-loss/)

Posted by Ian Rapoport at 9:47 am http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/gisele-post-game.jpg

There was a nice post-game scene last night following Super Bowl XLVI (http://bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220206to_brown_a_way_of_life_ex-lb_spreads_belichick_gospel/srvc=home&position=0), where Gisele went running down the hallway yelling for her husband, found Tom Brady, and embraced him in an emotional hug.It turns out, there was emotion all around… and some of it may get the Brazilian supermodel in some hot water.

In the aftermath, while walking with several players wives, Gisele was taunted by a Giants fan who said Giants QB Eli Manning owned Brady.Her response was caught on video by a site and TV show called “The Insider,” and this is it. (http://www.theinsider.com/gossip/49452_Gisele_Bashes_Tom_s_Teammates/index.html#) Gisele, who Brady says can get fiery after games, rips the receivers.

Late in the game, Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Deion Branch all failed to come up with tough catches. We know this. But to hear her say it… it’s noteworthy.“You (have) to catch the ball when you’re supposed to catch the ball,” Gisele said, responding to the fan, via The Big Lead (http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/02/06/gisele-rips-patriots-receivers-for-dropped-passes-after-super-bowl-loss-video/). “My husband cannot (expletive) throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/

Ninjahedge
February 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
I wonder if the guys really give a crap about what she said... or if this is something that will stay on the spousal side of the line (my hubby/your hubby).

It IS, however, in poor taste to answer a rip from an opponents fan by dissing your husbands "co-workers". She should have just insulted the fans manhood and left it at that.

ZippyTheChimp
February 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Play of the game.

In a season with too many bad calls by officials, you have to say the Side Judge was right there with a good call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0Q5I0vgS4

eddhead
February 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I can't pick up streaming media in the office, but I have a pretty good idea about which play you are referring to. Great throw, and great catch. What can you say? Eli came up with another big play in the 4th qtr. The guy is money in the clutch.

Of course if you are a Pats fan the play of the game is the Welker "drop". I use quotation marks because in reality that would have been a helluva catch if he came up with it. But the bottom line was the Giants made enough big plays (including the int) to win.

mariab
February 6th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I'm just glad Bradshaw accidentally landed his plump little rear in the end zone. ^That video, I knew he was inbounds, & I was surprised it was challenged, & loked at it as just a stalling tactic by NE.

lofter1
February 6th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Street Closures Planned for Giants Parade in Canyon of Heroes (http://www.dnainfo.com/20120206/downtown/street-closures-planned-for-giants-parade-canyon-of-heroes)

... Gridlock Sam tweeted (http://twitter.com/gridlocksam) his advice to commuters: "DON’T EVEN THINK OF DRIVING!

"He offered other tips, tweeting, "City workers, don’t park cars within 200 ft of parade route.
In past parades, fans stood on cars & crushed them."

:D

Go NY!

ZippyTheChimp
February 7th, 2012, 12:16 AM
^That video, I knew he was inbounds, & I was surprised it was challenged, & loked at it as just a stalling tactic by NE.No one can say for sure in real time whether Manningham got both feet inbounds, while maintaining control of the ball. While we were watching slo-mo replays, Manning was rushing to run another play. Belichick had no choice. Even a slight chance that a big play like that is reversed is worth burning a timeout.

mariab
February 7th, 2012, 05:10 PM
No one can say for sure in real time whether Manningham got both feet inbounds, while maintaining control of the ball.

I had no doubt. I may not have telephoto eyes, but I knew he had it secure while he was still inbounds. No 20/20 hindsight, just confidence.

Good parade in NY, excellent rally in NJ. Eli's calm through everything is amazing & he's a natural leader. I hope we're looking at a new NFL dynasty.

ZippyTheChimp
February 7th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I had no doubt...No 20/20 hindsight, just confidence.Sounds like Rex Ryan in September.

mariab
February 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Without the trash talk.

ZippyTheChimp
February 7th, 2012, 10:31 PM
http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/qAs6JryjNAKU4ysT76spAg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjA7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/56ef56a9d6338903060f6a706700ec46.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/2b/fullj.68986bfe19d5581112a5cc3568e3a6e7/68986bfe19d5581112a5cc3568e3a6e7-getty-138489975.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/db/fullj.d5ac1560f0d69ec28888cbabd5469507/d5ac1560f0d69ec28888cbabd5469507-getty-138489979.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/7d/fullj.50dab45f0d9a1c9c5b4cad3dbd1634b1/50dab45f0d9a1c9c5b4cad3dbd1634b1-getty-138490011.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/29/fullj.76a883fed405d09e9c978987505cd6d5/76a883fed405d09e9c978987505cd6d5-getty-138490175.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/dc/fullj.d5857079183c5b87e65f9c9ffbb59454/ap-201202071415513569124.1.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/de/fullj.916c358e20bd52ee09d39049e1ea4a45/ap-201202071505543399207.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/51/fullj.32b512684f6a7ebbf6a6d722600f9f54/32b512684f6a7ebbf6a6d722600f9f54-getty-138505789.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/f4/fullj.3f2d64aa91be49da63a3a7611c2ea80a/3f2d64aa91be49da63a3a7611c2ea80a-getty-138506008.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/ap/26/fullj.51e0198a33227d9fe2e379f27289c6d0/ap-201202071638599309295.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/j/assets/p/sp/getty/a8/fullj.763c3d51ffd00b182344d96ce4ce7f75/763c3d51ffd00b182344d96ce4ce7f75-getty-138488327.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
February 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Only 4 arrests at the parade.

The UK's Daily Mail reported that this Patriots fan was arrested...
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/07/article-2097888-11A131A9000005DC-513_964x584.jpg

...but he would have been in handcuffs. Turns out he was escorted away from the parade.
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1018570.1328695797!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
February 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
For you X and O folks, breakdown of the play of the game from NFL.com video.

Sorry, there's a commercial.

Manning to Manningham pass (http://nfl.cpl.delvenetworks.com/player/yahoo/carousel/embed_code.html?channelId=de89a8aeb3e422bac4eb4856 7f10ebd0&channelListId&mediaId=e6cab21c57b04c6aa6ee6a58347fce1c)

ZippyTheChimp
February 12th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Whitney Houston at Super Bowl XXV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS-R7SM_-M4&feature=related

TREPYE
February 20th, 2012, 11:54 AM
With all of this Linsanity that has taken over the NYC it made the withdrawal from football a little easier.

I cant believe my Giants pulled it off again. While the similarities to 2007 are uncanny I must say that this season was a bit more umm how could I say.... ambigious. With all of the come from behind wins that they had each thrilling game came down to the wire; 9 comeback wins and 4 near comebacks loses. The defense was a huge weakness but they finally got their crap together just in time and Eli was on our team giving us a chance in every game. Thankfully in Eli we ended up with a master in situational play, a player that does not only not need a playbook hes does not even need a perfectly executed play to pull off a first down, significant yard gain, a TD. Its seems like when the play goes to shit he gets even better. There is nothing more admirable in sports (or life for that matter) than someone who is at their best when the situation is at its worst. And lets not forget, he throws the BEST deep ball in the NFL.

That same deepball that gave us the greatest Super Bowl play of all time gave me 2 other classics:
The Hail Mary to Hakeem Nick at the end of the first half of the Green Bay playoff game. To me that was the most exciting play of the the season because it was so unexpected. I did not see that TD coming at all and just through sheer surprise and joy I nearly lost my voice/energy at halftime of that game. That unexpected great play will go up there with Mike Piazza's three run homer against the braves, Venturas Grand Slam single, Larry Johnsons four point play againt the Pacers, Starks dunk over Jordan and Grant and of course, Eli-Tyree; braded memories of uncontrolably intense sports joys.

Manning to Manningham. While similar to Eli-Tyree in up to the yards it covered (38) it was completely different in that it did not require a series of near miracles, but pure sheer skill on Eli's arm to exact that pass and Mario's footwork and presence of mind to ensure he was inbounds. When people say to me that Eli is just lucky I just point to that play as an example that you cannot keep getting lucky in the such similar manners.

Time to enjoys my Super Bowl paraphernalia and Linsanity....:D

ZippyTheChimp
March 9th, 2012, 05:44 PM
QB Eli Manning restructures contract for Giants

Associated Press

Eli Manning has restructured his contract with the New York Giants to give the Super Bowl champions more cap room, a person familiar with the decision said Thursday.

The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because the team has not officially announced the quarterback's deal.

Under terms of the restructuring, the Giants will guarantee $9 million of Manning's $10.75 million salary in 2012. The move allows the Giants to divide the guarantee over the final four years of the contract, reduces his base salary to $1.75 million and clears roughly $6.75 million in cap space, the source said.

Manning had a career season in 2011, leading the Giants to their second Super Bowl title in five seasons. He threw for a career-high 4,933 yards, and led seven game-winning drives in the fourth quarter.

Manning's last game-winning drive came in the 21-17 win over the Patriots in the Super Bowl in Indianapolis. He ignited the 88-yard title drive with a pinpoint 38-yard pass to Mario Manningham.

The Giants were over the cap, so the extra money will give them some wiggle space for free agency.

New York made punter Steve Weatherford its transition player last week. Three other starters are also free agents: tackle Kareem McKenzie, linebacker Chase Blackburn and cornerback Aaron Ross.

Manningham, defensive end Dave Tollefson, defensive tackle Rocky Bernard, cornerback Terrell Thomas and safety Deon Grant also can walk.

General Manager Jerry Reese also has to decide what to do with two-time Pro Bowl defensive end Osi Umenyiora and running back Brandon Jacobs, who have big contracts and are key cogs, but they are no longer starters.

"We try to make good football decisions," Reese said during a recent conference call. "It would be great to make splashy moves in the offseason, but our goal is to make good football decisions and that's what we try to do every year. We don't just think about our personnel for the current year. We think a couple years down the line and that's important."

Umenyiora is slated to earn $3.975 million next season in the final year of a seven-year deal he signed in 2005. He had nine sacks in nine games in 2011.

Jacobs is scheduled to earn $4.4 million next season, plus a $500,000 roster bonus.

óCopyright 2012 Associated Press

I heard that the Giants and Jacobs couldn't reach an agreement, and they released him.

He's 30 years old, but a big running back (265) ages fast in the NFL.

ZippyTheChimp
June 1st, 2012, 05:32 PM
1. Osi and Giants squabble over contract extension.

2. Osi fires his agent.

3. Osi and Giants come to terms on contract extension.

Bingo
June 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
He must've had one of these....http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31E8rT%2BVPCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TREPYE
September 5th, 2012, 11:55 AM
....as the Giants will reveal this tonight:

http://content.fathead.com/products/14/14-14236.jpg (http://www.jdoqocy.com/mh122mu2-u1HJKPJLOMHJIMMOQJP?sid=squidmancave&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fathead.com%2Fnfl%2Fnew-york-giants%2Fnew-york-giants-super-bowl-xlvi-champions-logo%2F&cjsku=14-14236)

:D:D!

(thereabout)

ZippyTheChimp
September 16th, 2012, 11:18 PM
First half was really ugly. Eli was terrible, 3 INTs. The third was a killer - with the Giants down 17-13 and driving toward a score before the half, a 60 yard pick-six with 8 seconds left.

The Bucs almost broke the 2nd half kickoff, getting good field position and kicking a FG for 27-13.

Two Giants drives stalled, and FGs made it 27-19 with 12:20 to go in the 4th Q. Then came the key defensive series for the Giants. Bucs were stopped with a fourth-and-one at the Giants 48, out of FG range. Punt put the ball on the Giants 12 yard line with 7:40 to go.

It's been amazing watching Manning so many times shake off a bad game and seize a key moment. Third-and-two at the 20, Manning hit Cruz over the top down the right sideline for an 80 yard TD and 2-pt conversion. Score tied.

Less than than 3 minutes later, another TD pass, 34-27.

Right now, the Giants have no corners, and TB came right back to tie with a 41 yd TD pass, 34-34.

Manning hit Nicks for 50 yds that set up a 2-yd run, 41-34.

Manning finished the day with 510 yards, 3 short of Simms' Giants record. 295 yards in the 2nd half.

What looked like a miserable day turned into a nice train ride back to Penn Sta, and dinner at Tracks.

eddhead
September 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Schiano need to 'class-up' his act.

ZippyTheChimp
September 17th, 2012, 09:08 PM
The offense can't dictate what the defense should do, and it was a one-score game. But the QB sometimes indicates the intention to kneel to the defense. I think protocol should require the defense to indicate that they're going full-out.

The problem was that the offense wasn't expecting it, and the Bucs came in low. No one on the defense made contact with Manning; he was knocked down by Giants falling. More injuries happen in these pileups than normal play execution.

I'm on the fence about this.

eddhead
September 18th, 2012, 08:50 AM
I think it was a classless, bush league play instigated by a bush league coach. It is the kind of rah-rah, false macho, pop warner BS coaches push when they have nothing else to offer, just to prove how tough they are. The game was over and he risked serious injury on a play that meant nothing. I know Jaworski and Ditka came out on Schiano's side but that doesn't make them right either. I do not recall Ditka ever doing that when he was coach, and I wonder how Jaworski would have reacted if it were his butt hitting the turf.

You can tell the TB players weren't too happy with it either. The most we got from one DT were words to the effect that they do what they are coached to do.

ZippyTheChimp
September 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM
DL has to wake up tonight. Need a big pass rush, or the CBs will have big trouble with Steve Smith.

Giants shouldn't have too much trouble moving the ball against Carolina, even without Nicks and Bradshaw. As long as others step up.

ZippyTheChimp
September 20th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hey, I drew that up pretty well.

Good pressure on Newton, couple of sacks. Smith not a factor until late in the game.

Brown (113 yds) and Barden (9 catches) stepped up.

ZippyTheChimp
September 25th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Do the Real Refs come back next week?

eddhead
September 25th, 2012, 10:19 AM
God, I hope so. Each week, this gets progressively worse.

And the NFL is still putting on it's "everything is ok" alternate diminison face, fining any coach that dares express his outrage. It's a joke.

ZippyTheChimp
September 27th, 2012, 07:44 AM
NFL comes to agreement with officials.

In a related development, Mitt Romney has fired his entire campaign staff and hired the replacement refs.

eddhead
September 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
NFL comes to agreement with officials.

In a related development, Mitt Romney has fired his entire campaign staff and hired the replacement refs.

In a way, I am going to kind of miss the repalcement refs; they made for good theater, and at times, good comedy. For instance I laughed my ass off watching one ref signal interception while the other signaled touchdown on Monday night.

Besides, it was fun watching coaches turn purple on the sidelines.

ZippyTheChimp
September 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hmmm.

Would you still laugh if Packers was changed to Jets?

eddhead
September 27th, 2012, 03:01 PM
One thing abut being a Jets fan ... you learn to laugh at a lot of stuff that happens on the field.

eddhead
September 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM
The Replacement Officials Handbook (http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2012/09/26/sports/football/REF-ILLOS.html?emc=eta1)

The third one where the Official is signaling 'interception' is classic. The seventh one, 'home run' made me laugh out loud too.

ZippyTheChimp
October 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM
So much for the 49er's "unfinished business."

So much for no home losses in the regular season in two years.

So much for the momentum of the last two games, outscoring opponents 79-3.

So much for a record 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing in one game.

Harbaugh gets the first smackdown of his NFL career, his most lopsided loss, 26-3.

eddhead
October 15th, 2012, 10:17 AM
The Giants looked dominating yesterday against a team that many thought was the best in the NFL. It was good to see the pass rush return.

Despited his success this year, Alex Smith has yet to prove he can be an effective QB under adversity.

The Giants are very up and down this year, but if they get it together, they could be the team to beat. After last night, I wouldn't count out Greenbay either though.

mariab
October 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Whew!

eddhead
October 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Victor Cruz is having a monster year. The guy is phenomenal

ZippyTheChimp
October 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM
That was so boring.

:p

IrishInNYC
October 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Some silly offensive plays almost cost the guys a win. The 1st down interception by Eli when you have attack dog Bradshaw ready to chew some redskin...and the mad 3rd and 1 throw to Nicks on the sideline.

It's such a pleasure though, knowing that if Eli gets the ball, down in the 4th but has a minute or so to work with...it's as good as a win. Such composure.

TREPYE
October 25th, 2012, 10:14 AM
Eli to Cruz, if it keeps up, may end up being one of the most lethal combinations the NFL has ever seen.

Giants games are an imperative for me now. Pretty much anything is secondary to watching this team. This may be the only time I get an Eli; and you best believe I am going to enjoy/savor EVERY second of it.

ZippyTheChimp
October 25th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Eli comes off as a mild-mannered doofus. But last year, Justin Tuck said that - he looks like he's never seen the inside of a weight room, but he's one tough guy, not just a QB, but a football player.

His value as The Franchise is probably why we haven't seen speedy rookie David Wilson in offensive sets. He has to learn to pick up the blitz - i.e. protect Eli.

But it's nice to know that after years of letting the opposition start on the 35 or better while we were stuck on the 20 or less, the tables have been turned.

ZippyTheChimp
October 26th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Cowboys suck!

Just getting ready.

IrishInNYC
October 28th, 2012, 08:53 PM
That about gave me a heart attack. Fingertips out. Better to be lucky than good sometimes!

mariab
October 28th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Same here I couldn't believe it. Strahan was right afterwards: They couldn't get it together today but simply took advantage of Dallas's blunders. That was close enough for Tom Coughlin to want to regroup for the rest of the season or else.

TREPYE
October 28th, 2012, 11:00 PM
The Gmen Secondary stunk up the joint and their linebackers never heard of an underneath pass. Nonetheless, Eff them cowboys.... When Eli threw three picks he finished the job.

ZippyTheChimp
October 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM
It's great to win at Little Jerry's Playhouse.

http://www.nypost.com/r/nypost/2012/10/28/sports/web_photos/bloggiants201529.jpg

Jerry told Coughlin, you'll ruin my home.
You and that hand jive have got to go

IrishInNYC
November 26th, 2012, 08:25 AM
Now that's how you come off a bye week. 1 down, 5 to go.

TREPYE
November 26th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Dominant Giants D-line against brutal O-line, a sharpening Eli, couple of turnover and you get....
http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Avis=U0&Dato=20121125&Kategori=PKR01&Lopenr=121125020&Ref=AR&MaxW=400&Border=0&One-Giant-mess-Packers-thrashed-all-phases

Easy-peasy, japanesey.

http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/brooks_hatlen.jpg

I guess the Packer beat themselves this time too, right Clay (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/08/packers-clay-matthews-giants-didnt-beat-us-in-playoffs/)?

ZippyTheChimp
November 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Remaining schedule is tough:

GIANTS
REDSKINS
COWBOYS

@Redskins
Giants
Eagles

Saints
Ravens
@Bengals

@Falcons
@Browns
Steelers

@Ravens
@Eagles
Saints

Eagles
Cowboys
@Redskins

eddhead
November 26th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Yes it is. Cowboys might have the edge especially if Roethlisberger is still out or not 100%.

While the Eagles and Saints have underperformed in terms of their record, both teams are capable of putting togehter tough games; especially the Saints who still have Brees and put points on the board. Conversly although the Ravens have a strong record, they can be had, especailly on the road (not good news for the Giants); their defense isn't what it once was, and the QB has not really had a great year.

IrishInNYC
November 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
It's not the worst schedule for the Giants when you consider both the Skins and Boys need to win out to make it to 10 wins.

The Saints game is a win for me, Eli will scorch them in the air. The Eagles game is also a win considering the gutless debacle that team has turned into (though my stomach still churns at the thought of the Dodge induced loss from a couple of years back).

The Ravens will likely have home field advantage sown up by week 16 and may be easing off the gas a bit so that could be an interesting game.

The Giants also seem to have the Falcons figured out and Ryan has been up and down this year so nothing major to fear.

Next week is the big one...win that one and the Giants will be hosting the Packers in the Wild Card round.

eddhead
November 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
That is a pretty optimistic projection on the basis of one impressive win which followed three less than impressive perfomances. It could very weill turn out that way but again I caution; some of the teams you are writing off are capable of putting together solid games.

IrishInNYC
November 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Giants in December, under-pressure...has become an enjoyable part of of being a fan.

IrishInNYC
December 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM
What a strange game...the luck of Bob Griffin on that fumble...DeOssie choosing to snap his "1 in a thousand" bad one....the penalty by Beatty. The team did about everything they could to lose it. And succeeded.

Get angry and bury the Saints next week.

eddhead
December 4th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I didn't see the game but from what I understand, Eli played pretty well, so that is the good news. But 207 yds on the ground?? I know a lot of it came from RG3 but you can't expect to win games when you give up 207 yds rushing. Maybe Zippy is right; the Giants really need to focus on fixing their rush defense or they'll be in a lot of trouble

ZippyTheChimp
December 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
It was a tough game, for both teams. Both teams played well (except for one facet by the Giants that cost them the win), so it was a good game to watch.

Don't be fooled by raw stats. Redskins wanted to throw the ball. They came out passing on the opening possession. Against Dallas, they passed for 295 yds.

I thought that the game might be a shootout, but the Giants shut down the pass (163 yds). The Redskins were 4-8 on third down plays. The key number is 8. The Giants were 9-15 on third down plays. The result is that the Giants had long drives that ate up the clock - Coughlin said that he wanted to keep RGIII on the sideline. It worked very well, especially in the first half, with the Redskins time of possession 9:28.

The Giants lost because they uncharacteristically made costly penalties, the most in three years I think. Cordle was called twice for holding on kickoff returns. The second was a killer, negating a 49 yard return by Wilson. Because of penalties, the average starting point for all 8 of their drives was the 15 yard line. The 85 yard 13 play TD drive had three penalties.

Still, they were in a position to win with under five minutes to go and down by one point. On 3rd and 10, Manning hit Bennett over the middle for a first down around midfield, but LT Beatty was called for holding, and the Giants failed to convert 3rd and 20. They punted and never got the ball back.

IrishInNYC
December 12th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Watched Sunday's game wearing my Wilson shirt (bought in pre-season) in a bar in Naples, FL beside a couple of Pat's fans. They were sufficiently impressed.

ZippyTheChimp
December 12th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Wilson wasn't kept out of the backfield so long because of the fumble in the first game. He had to learn to pick up blitzes on pass plays, the hardest thing for a RB to master going from college to the NFL. Giants aren't going to put Manning at risk.

If Bradshaw can't go, we'll get to see Wilson, not as the feature back, but the main man with 15 carries.

I saw his ability to read blocks and change speeds on kickoffs in the first few games. A friend didn't think he was going to be too good, sent me this vid on Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtgKIFoQfE

IrishInNYC
December 12th, 2012, 10:27 AM
I agree, it had little or nothing to do with the fumble problem...Bradshaw himself has gone through phases where he was plagued with "putting it on the ground" (Phil Mushnick, I hate that saying as much as you).

Third down, when they won't be getting the ball is the key for RB's. Once Wilson nails down the blitz pick up he's going to be a great player.

eddhead
December 12th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Wilson wasn't kept out of the backfield so long because of the fumble in the first game. He had to learn to pick up blitzes on pass plays, the hardest thing for a RB to master going from college to the NFL. Giants aren't going to put Manning at risk.

If Bradshaw can't go, we'll get to see Wilson, not as the feature back, but the main man with 15 carries.

I saw his ability to read blocks and change speeds on kickoffs in the first few games. A friend didn't think he was going to be too good, sent me this vid on Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHtgKIFoQfE

I agree whole-heartedly. It is not just blitzes either. In order to get steady play in the NFL, RB's need to learn how to blockespecially pass block, and especially thrid down backs. When LT was with the Jets, he continued to get plays on third down even after he lost a step or two, because he was an excellent blocker. It is also the reason we do not see more of McKnight on 3rd downs.

eddhead
December 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM
That was a horrible effort for a team with playoff aspirations who over the past few weeks looked as though they were making a strong late season push for the playoffs. The pass rush disappeared, the secondary was abysmal and they did nothing at all right on offense. Those fans who thought Wilson deserved to see more action coming into this game now know why is at best a spot player at this point in his career. He simply cannot block. And Eli was terrible for most of the game.

Really disappointing. I am sure Couglin is shaking his head.

IrishInNYC
December 23rd, 2012, 08:07 PM
Going to be an interesting off-season...

mariab
January 2nd, 2013, 12:00 AM
I was hoping they were starting a dynasty. :(

eddhead
January 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Largely due to parity, I think dynasties in the NFL are gone. One or two high impact players, along with a favorable schedule can really turn a team around. Witness the Redskins and the Colts who went from 2 and 3 wins respectively in 2011 to playoff births.

IrishInNYC
January 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM
Though I agree with you eddhead we must give recognition to the achievements of the Patriots over the past decade. Some will say they play in an inferior division/conference but a regular season record of 146-46 since 2001 and 5 SB appearances has to be classed as a dynasty. Losing the two to the Giants puts a dent in the story but still, it's pretty amazing. And I'm not much of a Pats fan, I just enjoy good football.

Denver v New England in the AFC Championship is as good as any possible Superbowl match up that we'll get.

eddhead
January 2nd, 2013, 10:24 AM
I agree. As a Jets fan, I have to very grudgingly admit that New England is a very notable exception. Very smart personnel moves, a brilliant head coach, and an all-time great QB.

In fact it goes to show you how much of a QB dominant league the NFL is; one could argue that the resurgences of the Skins (especially), the Colts, and the Seahawks are largely attributed to how well their rookie QB's have played. It is also not a conincidence that Peyton Manning teams always seem to win 11 games or more.

ZippyTheChimp
January 2nd, 2013, 06:28 PM
There are no longer any dynasties in the NFL, but it's led to more exiting playoff games.

Dynasties dominate over a period of time. They are expected to win, and they do. The 70s Steelers were a dynasty. So were the Cowboys of the early 90s. The 3 Cowboy wins in 92, 93, and 95 were lopsided.

The three Patriot Super Bowls wins were close games, and to be fair, so were their loses. But they haven't won one since the 2004 season, getting close to a decade. The year after their undefeated regular season, they were blown out in the first round by the Ravens, and the following year the Jets knocked them out.

The 90-93 Buffalo Bills, led by HOF QB Jim Kelly, made four consecutive Super Bowl appearances. That's really an incredible achievement, but no one called them a dynasty. I wonder how many football fans are even aware of it.

There's nothing more deflating in sports than losing a Super Bowl.

I'm not sure what to make of the 2012 Patriots. I don't remember a team that went to a Super Bowl getting such a cream puff schedule the following year. You can't do anything about the six division games, but...

Tennessee
St Louis
Arizona
Jacksonville

What's up with that?

eddhead
January 3rd, 2013, 09:07 AM
Good points on what constitutes a dynasty, and yes, I do remember the Bills. The Pats did have 3 superbowl victories in 4 years; that is pretty close to dominant regardless of he scores, but you're right, the 2004-05 season was the last one in which they won.

As for the Pats 2012 schedule, I can't figure that one out how they managed that one either. You're right it is hard to judge the Pats on their record for this year, given how soft their schedule was. Personally, I think Denver is the team to beat in the AFC, but who can tell?

The NFC is equally tough to pick. Up until last weekend, I would have gone with the Pack, but the Vikings exposed them on defense.

ZippyTheChimp
January 3rd, 2013, 10:15 AM
The only team in recent times that I thought was going to win it all was the Packers in 2010. They didn't even win the Division and were seeded low, but that was mainly due to early season OT loses and Aaron Rodgers concussion. Down the stretch, they looked unbeatable to me.

It's wide open this year. The Texans and 49ers were pre-season picks, and although they had good seasons, both were shaky down the stretch. And maybe they're better, but I don't like that the 49ers changed QBs mid-season.

Won't touch Atlanta, but they're the #1 seed.

I'm going with Seattle and Denver, but mostly because of defense. Many good QBs in the playoffs this year; defense sets these two apart. However, if they do meet in the Super Bowl, I 'd give the nod to Denver on Manning's experience.

eddhead
January 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
I think Seattle is an excellent dark horse option for the NFC. They run the ball well, play excellent defense and I am really impressed with their rookie QB.

IrishInNYC
January 4th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Remarkable that 2 rookies lead their teams against each other in one half of the NFC wild card spots this weekend, with teams that weren't in the play-offs a year ago. I'd put the house on it that we won't see that for a long time to come.

Seattle might just edge it if Bobby G is still not 100%. That game might well come down to the 2 work horse RBs though. What a steal Morris was in the draft!

Bengals over Texans. I like an underdog redhead.

Pack over Vikings. AP did all the work getting them there, he's tired. The real A Rod is just too good (the TD throw to Nelson in the 4th quarter on Sunday was sublime).

I'd love to see the Colts take the Ravens. Never liked the Ravens and I think a beating by a rookie is appropriate justice for last game for a slimeball like Lewis. ESPN and their pathetic NFL coverage is welcome to him.

ZippyTheChimp
January 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Remarkable that 2 rookies lead their teams against each other in one half of the NFC wild card spots this weekend, with teams that weren't in the play-offs a year ago. I'd put the house on it that we won't see that for a long time to come.I think there's more a chance of it at present.

College football player development is reflective of the NFL. Lawrence Taylor set the trend for big and fast linebackers coming out of college.

Now it's a QB-centric league - just compare the passing stats with those 20 years ago. The various ex-QB analysts - Aikman, Simms - have noted that the rookie QBs are more prepared to play than when they were rookies.

eddhead
January 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM
@ Zip - Looking forward beyond 2013 (which is where I think IrishInNYC may have been going) I doubt we'll see a QB class this talanted for some time. We have 5 rookie QB's starting this year 4 of which have franchise potential, and three of whom are in the playoffs.

This year's class rivals that of 1983 which included 6 starters taken in the first round, and several HOF'ers. Granted, they have a long way to go before they can be compared with the likes of Marino, Elway, and Kelly,(and Obrien? LOL) but they are off to a good start.

@ Irish - I like the Bengals too, but other than that I am going with the faves - Seahawks, Pack, Bengals, and Ravens. Flacco is the key to the last game. If he plays well, they win. If he flops, they lose.

IrishInNYC
February 7th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Ahmad Bradshaw release shows Giants going all-in on David Wilson (http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/06/ahmad-bradshaw-release-shows-giants-going-all-in-on-david-wilson/)NEW YORK GIANTS (http://nfl.si.com/category/new-york-giants/) | COMMENTS (http://nfl.si.com/2013/02/06/ahmad-bradshaw-release-shows-giants-going-all-in-on-david-wilson/#comment)
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/story/textsize.gif
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/story/textsize_minus_l.gif
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.element/img/4.0/story/textsize_plus_d.gif

http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ahmad-bradshaw.jpg?w=610&h=373 (http://sinfl.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/ahmad-bradshaw.jpg)Ahmad Bradshaw’s best season came in 2010, when he had 1,549 total yards and eight touchdowns. (Kathy Willens/AP)

The New York Giants have done little to disguise their belief that David Wilson can be a No. 1 back — GM Jerry Reese said early in January that Wilson is capable of “lead dog” status — and they backed that stance Wednesday by releasing Ahmad Bradshaw, as first reported by Pro Football Talk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/giants-part-ways-with-ahmad-bradshaw/).

The Giants also released defensive lineman Chris Canty, according to multiple reports. Canty was due more than $6 million next season and played in just nine games in 2012.
Bradshaw, meanwhile, was set to make $3.75 million in 2013 and another $4 million in 2014. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News tweeted (https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/statuses/299254627185090561) that Bradshaw’s release will save the Giants $2.75 million next season.

In theory, Bradshaw could return to the Giants for a lesser sum, but he’s likely to find a better deal than New York can offer on the open market. That’s even after undergoing another surgery on his right foot, this time to insert a screw, just prior to the Super Bowl. Bradshaw is expected to be sideline for at least two months, though that still puts him in line to be at 100 percent for training camp and the preseason.
Bradshaw accumulated more than 7,000 total yards in his six-year Giants career, including 1,260 (1,015 rushing, 245 receiving) in 2012. However, the Giants spent a first-round pick on the versatile Wilson, and he flashed some of his potential en route to leading the league in kick-return yardage.
Wilson saw only 71 carries in his rookie campaign — two fewer than Andre Brown, who found a role as a short-yardage and goal-line back.
The physical Brown, who’s in the midst of recuperating from a broken leg, is a restricted free agent. Should the Giants bring him back, he and the shifty Wilson could essentially reprise the roles played by Bradshaw and Brandon Jacobs on New York’s 2012 Super Bowl team.
Bradshaw’s release certainly constitutes an end of an era in the Giants’ backfield, as well as a gamble on Wilson’s potential.
Bradshaw should be able to latch on elsewhere, though at 26 years of age (he’ll be 27 in March), he already has had multiple surgeries on both feet. That fact alone could scare some teams away, but Bradshaw’s dual-threat ability out of the backfield will make him an intriguing option for a number of teams.
The Giants, however, are ready to move forward without Bradshaw, meaning that Wilson should receive more than ample opportunity to prove his worth next season.

ZippyTheChimp
February 7th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Giants have to drop $4-7 million to get under the cap. They also have to deal with Victor Cruz and JPP.

I saw the release of Michael Boley coming. He had good years with the Giants, but he's over 30 and was to get $4.5 million. I thought they needed more speed at LB, and a big problem was stopping the run. I guess the job will go to Jacquian Williams, a 6th round pick in 2011. It was Williams who stripped 49er punt returner of the ball that led to the winning FG that sent the Giants to the Super Bowl.

Everyone focuses on the early draft selections, but the mid and lower picks make a big difference.

IrishInNYC
February 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM
I'm excited for Wilson getting the ball on opening day. A full NFL off-season with strength and conditioning programs in place should bring this guy back stronger and fully confident in his role for the team.

Terrell Thomas will get cut soon also...and made prove his healthy. Webster had a stinker of a season and is taking up a lot of cap room too.

eddhead
February 7th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Irish. I think you are referring to David Wilson the RB, not Jacqiuian Wilson the LB. As for David Wilson, he will never be an effective reliable RB in the NFL until he learns to block. Even situational RB's are required to do so today.

IrishInNYC
February 7th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Irish. I think you are referring to David Wilson the RB, not Jacqiuian Wilson the LB. As for David Wilson, he will never be an effective reliable RB in the NFL until he learns to block. Even situational RB's are required to do so today.

Yes, David Wilson. Few rookies perfect blocking in their first season, it often is not a major part of their college game. Like I say, with a full season on his books and a proper off season to work with the coaches and get stronger for those 3rd down assignments. Watch this space, he's going to be an every down guy.

ZippyTheChimp
April 27th, 2013, 09:37 AM
The Offensive Lineman Draft.

Three OTs were selected in the first four picks. Giants passed on DT Sharrif Floyd, and used the 19th pick overall to rebuild their aging OL, taking Justin Pugh from Syracuse, Smart, versatile, Giants say he can play any line position, probably slotted at RT.

On their second and third round picks, Giants took Ohio State widebody DT Johnathan Hankings and Texas A&M DE Damontre Moore.

IrishInNYC
April 29th, 2013, 12:38 PM
We have seen enough to trust implicitly Reese, Coughlin and their decision making team in drafts and trades. Quiet and efficient weekend, loading up on some big men that will help both lines.

They'll dig around and find another option, for good value, at CB.

Nassib is a long term investment as both a back up and possible trade option in the future. With his buddy Pugh on the roster and learning the trade from a hall of fame mentor; it's win win.

I can't wait for September.

eddhead
April 29th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Interesting that the Jets drafted Smith, while the Giants drafted Massib, possbily the two most highly regarded QB's in the draft.

ZippyTheChimp
April 29th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Both QBs were passed over more than once.

I'd say that the most highly regarded QB was EJ Manuel, taken #16 by the Buffalo Bills. Interesting that Coach Doug Marrone of the Bills passed on Massib (who he coached at Syracuse) the year before. I would think that a new head coach would have a big say in what QB was drafted, and he passed on a player he probably knows better than anyone else.

Not saying he's no good, but maybe not a first-round choice. The Giants drafted him lower, and they did something they haven't done in 9 seasons - draft a QB.

eddhead
April 29th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Many of the so-called experts thought other wise. CBS Sports (who run fantasy leagues) had Smith 1st, Manual 3rd, and Nassib 4th, as did fftoolbox. So did Bleacher Reort. Sports Illustrated had Smith 1st and Nassib 7th which is not so good.

None of which means all that much of course.
(http://walterfootball.com/draft2013QB.php)

IrishInNYC
April 30th, 2013, 09:26 AM
What did the forecasters have Brady at back in the day? If you took all the point in the world and got rid of it, that's how much point there is in mock drafting.

eddhead
April 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM
guess that is my point about it not meaning much.

Marino was drafted in the bottom of the 1st round, the 6th QB chosen that year and 27th overal.. Whlile some terrific QB's came out of that class, he was head and shoulders above all but with possible exception of Elway. Name 26 players chosen in 1983 who were better than Marino.

Aaron Rodgers went 24th overall and Brees went in the second round. On the otherhand Sanchez went 5th overall, Jarmus Rusell was 1st overall, Ryan Leaf and Rick Mirer were each no. 2.

It's a crap shoot. They probably do a better job today than they did 10-20 years ago and even than, hey probably get it right more often than what we give them credit forf (Elway, Manning bros, etc..) but it his hard not to notice the misses.

IrishInNYC
July 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Police: Lawrence Taylor's son charged with rape

POWDER SPRINGS, Ga. (AP) -- Police in suburban Atlanta say a man who identified himself as the son of NFL Hall of Famer Lawrence Taylor has been arrested on rape charges.
Powder Springs police said Monday that 31-year-old Lawrence Taylor Jr. is accused of having sex with two underage girls. Police say one girl accused Taylor of sexually assaulting her July 6, and that another accused him of having consensual sex with her last year.

The elder Taylor, 54, was a linebacker for the New York Giants (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/new-york-giants/index.html) between 1981 and 1993 and was inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1999. Taylor was sentenced last year to six years of probation after pleading guilty to charges stemming from sex with an underage prostitute.

Taylor, Jr., is being held without bond on statutory rape, aggravated child molestation and aggravated sodomy charges. It's unclear if he has an attorney.

IrishInNYC
July 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
And on a better note...

Giants and Victor Cruz agree to long-term deal

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) - New York Giants (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/new-york-giants/index.html) star receiver Victor Cruz (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/24553/index.html) has signed a five-year contract extension that runs through the 2018 season.
Cruz was a restricted free agent with three years in the NFL. Last month, he signed a one-year, $2.879 million tender with the Giants, but a long-term deal was already in the works. The Giants could have matched any offers Cruz received from other teams - so he didn't get any.

"I feel relief,'' Cruz told Giants.com, shortly after signing his contract at the team's facility. "I feel I can just kick back and play football again.''
The new deal is worth $43 million, according to media reports.
"We are pleased to have this behind us,'' general manager Jerry Reese said. "Now Victor can focus on football. Training camp is approaching quickly, and we all have a lot of work to do to get back where we want to be.''
Training camp opens July 26. Cruz skipped all of New York's offseason program.
The 26-year-old from Paterson, N.J., was an undrafted free agent out of Massachusetts in 2010, but he's become one of the most productive receivers in the NFL. Over the last two seasons, he has 168 receptions for 1,628 yards and 19 touchdowns.

eddhead
July 9th, 2013, 11:52 AM
Wow, a real rags to riches success story. And a good guy too.

GordonGecko
July 9th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, a really good guy. The signing is a win-win-win

TREPYE
September 8th, 2013, 11:57 PM
The loss of Ahmad Bradshaw REALLY stung tonight as all the Jints RBs just kept betraying Eli. As always a tumultuous Giants Cowboys contest. I do take solace in that after that onside kick rolled around loosely and Lee recovered 40% of the stadium cowboys fans had to go clean their soiled underpants cuz YOU KNOW if Magic Eli gets it back he stuffs it in the endzone....

IrishInNYC
September 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
You simply can't give it away so many times in a game and expect to take anything from it. And yet they nearly did.

Wilson will be rocked by the fumbles and the guy's confidence is shot but you can see from the face-to-face time Coughlin gave him on the sideline that they know he has the potential. That being said, we may see someone picked up this week to bolster the RB group. On that note, I'd rather see a trade for a real time player than pick up some desperado FA. Wouldn't Reggie Bush have been nice?

Eli was Eli...a first throw that felt like a kick in the stomach and other moments of maddening confusion intermingled with lasers to Cruz. Nicks looked sharp...Tuck looked dangerous.

I never read too much in Dallas games as they tend to have a life of their own outside of the natural run of things.

eddhead
September 9th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Auspicious start for the Giants. They battled hard, especially in the second half but 6 turnovers is a difficult barrier to overcome. Eli is Eli - you get what you pay for. He can thrill you at times or make you want to throw sharp and point projectiles at your TV set at others.

Notwithstanding the lack of depth at RB, Couglin did the right thing in benching Wilson. One fumble, OK, but 2??!!. He has to do better. If not, it is going to be a long season for the Giants.

I thought the D-line put decent pressure on Romo who still managed to deliver, mostly underneath.

eddhead
September 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM
The lack of depth at RB for the Giants was readily transparent last night, when it became clear that the Giants do not currently have a suitable alternative to Wilson who is clearly in disfavor at the moment, although that could change. He is an immense talent.

I always liked Jacobs, although at this point, he is probably done. If McGahee is close to being physically ready to play, he could help them especially considering Andre Brown's status.

Sorry about the bold .... I can't seem to get rid of it.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241314/article/giants-to-work-out-brandon-jacobs-willis-mcgahee

Giants to work out Brandon Jacobs, Willis McGahee

With Andre Brown nursing a broken leg and David Wilson edging toward Tom Coughlin's doghouse (http://wirednewyork.com/share/page/site/nfl-com/www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000241279/article/david-wilsons-status-as-giants-no1-back-uncertain), the New York Giants (http://wirednewyork.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) are in the market for a running back on the heels of Sunday night's ugly loss (http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2013090812/2013/REG1/giants@cowboys#menu=highlights&tab=recap) to the Dallas Cowboys (http://wirednewyork.com/teams/dallascowboys/profile?team=DAL).

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Big Blue will work out free agents Brandon Jacobs and Willis McGahee on Tuesday, according to sources informed of the tryouts.

Jacobs has been idle since December, when he was released by the San Francisco 49ers (http://wirednewyork.com/teams/sanfrancisco49ers/profile?team=SF) after running for just seven yards in two appearances last season. Following seven seasons in New York, Jacobs is a known commodity to Coughlin, but his 31-year-old body has seen better days.
McGahee pounded out 731 yards on 167 carries for the Denver Broncos (http://wirednewyork.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN) last season before sustaining a torn MCL and broken leg in November. Placed in "IR-recall," McGahee never made it back into the lineup before he was released in June. At 32, he's older than Jacobs, but a more attractive option for teams seeking backfield help.

New York also hosted free agents Beanie Wells and Jonathan Dwyer last Tuesday, per NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000238034/article/giants-to-test-darel-scott-before-signing-rb-help). Other veterans on Big Blue's radar (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000237876/article/report-ny-giants-host-jonathan-dwyer-beanie-wells) have included Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant and Tim Hightower, per the New York Daily News.

Our Spidey sense tells us we'll be updating this post shortly with news of a signing.

TREPYE
September 13th, 2013, 08:22 AM
It will be nice to see Jacobs again. Hopefully we get the earlier iteration of himself; the untackleable power running back that punches holes through the line of scrimmage; not that Daisy that we ended up with at the end that would stutter-step along the line to avoid contact. He is obviously concerned about head contact, but he is so tall in many cases he does not have to lower his helmet all the time. Nevertheless, I think he is the strongest back the Giants ever had since Ive been watching; hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity.

I still do miss Bradshaws tenacity; some of the most thrilling plays I have seen in this Giants offense is when a blitz LB is running at Eli at full speed and Bradshaw would come out of nowhere to lay just a devastating block and give Eli more time to throw; hopefully they show Wilson footage of this... Show him that a real football player does not always have to have the ball running with it to make impact.

ZippyTheChimp
September 13th, 2013, 09:38 AM
I think Jacobs is spent. RBs have a short shelf-life, and Jacobs has taken a pounding over the years.

Short yardage situations, the red zone, and on passing downs as protection for Eli.

It might also take pressure off Wilson, who must feel the weight of being the #1 RB. Like it or not, that's what he is.

IrishInNYC
September 16th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I went to the game yesterday, great spectacle at half-time for Bill Parcells being inducted to the HOF. Beautiful day for a game.

That's where the niceties ended. Running game was terrible, not that that was any surprise. Jacobs dozed his way to a couple of first downs and a short TD but there was no threat from Wilson at any time.

Some finger tip drops could have changed the game but with Eli throwing another 4 picks it was never going to be their day.

Silver lining? Remember what happened that last time the team went 0-2 to start the season?

eddhead
September 16th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Denver is a tough test. Not only do they have one of the better passing attacks in the league but their defense is one of the best , if not THE best in the conference, especially against the run.

They're the odds on favorite to be the AFC's Superbowl rep.

Still, Eli has to do better. After all, he is on my fantasy team ;)

eddhead
September 23rd, 2013, 10:45 AM
peeeee ewuuuuu!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/07/31/article-1203529-05E5797B000005DC-428_468x311.jpg

Really,that is about as bad as it gets. I literally had to turn it off.

I am looking to dump Manning. 4pts from a QB is not going to cut it in my ff league.

P.S

Thinking about this, I did an injustice to the skunk who actually looks pretty cool in this pic. Sorry Skunk.

IrishInNYC
September 24th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Totally bankrupt on ideas and an O line. To add insult to injury you have the likes of the Colts making a trade for Trent Richardson AND Bradshaw playing very well for them. The Giants haven't had a running back in EVER!

eddhead
September 24th, 2013, 09:32 AM
The Giants haven't had a running back in EVER!

I am not sure what that means; historically and in recent years, the Giants have been successful in rushng the ball. But this year they suck at it.

With Wilson not playing, they just do not have an NFL quality featured back or even a functioning backfield by committee. I can understand your frustration on Richardson, but there are probably fans of 30 other teams in the league that feel simiarlary. The fact is, the Colts had the pick to give away.

But the bottomline is if the Giants don't fix their O-line, no RB in the league will make a damn bit of difference. And right now, all 5 players on offense are failing, and while we are at it, everyone on d - line except JPP, as well. Where the hell is Jason Tuck?

I don't know how you replace your team's entire O and D lines, 3 games into a season and have a successful outcome.

This team is in big trouble.

IrishInNYC
September 25th, 2013, 09:40 AM
I guess I mean in terms of the Fosters, Petersons, Johnsons of the league; the Giants never really had a marquee rusher (Barber is marginal in that regard).

They drafted Pugh in round one and followed up with 2 big guys for the defense in rounds 2 and 3. Where are they? It's baffling how quickly both lines have deteriorated with the same core group of players and high draft picks.

ZippyTheChimp
September 25th, 2013, 11:24 AM
I agree with Eddhead on this. I can't see how Barber could be described as marginal.

League leading rushing yards for the last six seasons of Barber's career.

2002 - 1853
2003 - 2066
2004 - 1697
2005 - 1880
2006 - 1815

Barber's total rushing yards

2002 - 1387
2003 - 1216
2004 - 1518
2005 - 1860
2006 - 1662

But Barber was also an excellent receiver at the RB position. His total yards from scrimmage. Bold is league leading for that season.

2002 - 1984
2003 - 1677
2004 - 2096
2005 - 2390
2006 - 2127

*2390 is third alltime yards from scrimmage.

Barber was a tremendous offensive weapon. The Giants would have one less problem if they had someone like him right now.

eddhead
September 25th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Barber had some difficulty holding on to the ball early in his career, but by the time he retired (arguably still in his prime), he was a top-tier,multi-facted back in the mold of Marshall Faulk. In fact de was arguably one of the best two or three all-around backs in the conference

And ler's not forget the 2008 Earth,Wind and Fire trio, two of whom gained over 1000 yds, and who really defined the team's smash mouth persona. Even the superbowl winning 2007 team featured the same backs who combined for about 1800 yds rushing. Not too shabby.

Even after losing Ward and relegating Jacobs to a less important role over the following years, Bradshaw remained a very effective hard-running back up until last year. . He may not have had blazing speed, but than again neither does Ray Rice. He does OK.

Of course, he is not Bilal Powell or anything ... ;)

ZippyTheChimp
September 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
The evolution of Barber's career mirrors rule changes that has made the NFL more QB focused. The old axiom - to win a championship, you must run the ball and/or stop the run - has been somewhat diluted.

But even during the time of a rushing oriented league, the way teams set up their running game was part of an overall strategy. During the Parcell years, the Giants were about ball control, time of possession, and defense. RBs were expected to protect the ball and pick up 4 yds/carry. You'd take that all day. Drives were long, which kept the defense off the field. In turn, the defense would dominate and get the offense back out on the field. Scores were low.

Now, the running game defeats the primary focus of the defense - get to the QB, either directly or by coverage.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The most excruciating play of game 3 was the hold by Beatty on the TD run. The play was designed to go off LG. Beatty did his job by pushing out the DE. The hole was there, maybe for a short gain. If the RB saw an opening around left end, Beatty should have trusted the decision and allowed the play to continue.

eddhead
September 26th, 2013, 10:10 AM
During the Parcell years, the Giants were about ball control, time of possession, and defense. RBs were expected to protect the ball and pick up 4 yds/carry.

Otis Anderson comes to mind.

The Giants of that era pounded to ball down your throat. Big powerful running backs ran behind a huge powerful O-line. I mean Jumbo Elliott?? What a great name - a name that typified the Giant's brand of football. Even thier TE, Bavaro, was an absolute monstor.

Their mantra was ground control, but the Giants of that era were not afraid to take a chance downfield. I always felt that the difference between a Phil Simms (who I think is supremely underated) and Joe Montana was the style of offense they played in. For the most part, the 49ers threw safe, short to medium passes, outof the west coast, and let their receivors accumulate yardage after the catch. The Giants were conservative, but when they threw the ball, they threw it downfield. That downfield threat kept the defense from loading up the box.

The Giants of that era, and the Joe Gibbs Redskins before them were the epitome of smash-mouth football; the masters of the genre. See the Packers of the 60's with Jimmy Taylor and the power sweep as well.

I agree that for the most part, todays' running game is really designed to keep the pass rush honest. Oddly (from you perspective) The Jets teams of a few years back - the ones that went to the AFC finals two years running, were an exception. They played real smash-mouth football, controlled the clock, held onto the ball, and when they did throw it, threw it downfield. I always felt that Ryan channelled his inner Parcels (at least in terms of offensive philosophy) with those teams.

Now, the running game defeats the primary focus of the defense - get to the QB, either directly or by coverage.

Despite that, the hallmark of premier defenses in this league is thier ability to stop the run. You simply cannot be a great NFL defense if you cannot prevent the run.

IrishInNYC
September 30th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Well, there's always next year.

GordonGecko
September 30th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Well, there's always next year.

I don't think so, Giants aren't going anywhere for a long time

ZippyTheChimp
September 30th, 2013, 04:01 PM
NFL teams turn around quickly.

IrishInNYC
October 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM
^Case in point the last team to drub the Giants. The Chiefs doubled their win total from 2012...in September.

eddhead
October 1st, 2013, 10:14 AM
I really don't know what to make of this team. Yes, without Breadshaw, you figured they might struggle a bit running the ball, but ourside of Wilson the guys they have running the ball are borderline practice squad guys now. And what the hell happened to their O and D Lines?

Zipp and Irish are right, teams turn around quickly in the NFL (altough I would remind Irish that the Chiefs are coming off several consective sub-par seasons and have had a chance to rebuild thru the draft), but this smells differently to me. It seems like it is the whole core of the team; O and D lines though to be stregnths coming in suddenly look old and slow.

It is hard to replace your entire line overnight; especially on offense where it takes time to gell

Unless those guys suddenly step up, this could prove to be a sustaining problem

ZippyTheChimp
October 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
The problem with the O-line right now isn't that they're old; they're not old enough.

The oldest lineman playing last Sunday was Boothe (30).

The others:

Beatty (28)
Cordle (26)
Brewer (25)
Mosley (24)
Pugh (23)

Usually, inexperienced players are slotted in with veterans, but right now they are the line. Not only are they individually inexperienced, but they haven't played many games as a unit. The TV analysts did a decent job highlighting the problem. There was one pass play where Beatty was engaged with the DE and the right side of the pocket was OK. LG Brewer had no one to block, so he moved left to help Beatty, who didn't need it. If he held his ground, he might have put a block on the man who eventually sacked Eli.

That's just a matter of experience.

eddhead
October 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM
I will give you Mosely and Pugh, but the other guys have all had a few years in the legue now. It is interesting you bring up Beatty and Booth, both of whom started last year, and maybe the year before as well. I know thier right side is banged up, but I believed the left side would be pretty solid. Right now, they all suck,.\\

As for my previous comment, they may be young, but they seem old, slow, and sluggish. I get that O-Lines take time to gel or "play as a unit" but that is not what I am gettng from this. And for the life of me, I can't figure out the defense.

ZippyTheChimp
October 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
It not so much how many years they have as how long they've played as a unit.

They aren't getting beat on physicality as much as technique, stunts and such. Missed assignments.

They might get better game by game, but there isn't time for it.

-------------------------------------------------

The defense played well on Sunday, especially the LBs. They executed the game plan and stopped the run. Kept the score close, considering the total time they were on the field. Should have gone into halftime tied at 10. Caused 3 turnovers for a team that had none going into the game, but the Giants got no points off them.

As it was, they were only down 10-7 late in the third quarter. In another situation, without all the other problems over four games, you could zero in on one play that turned the game at that point. 3rd and l17 and Cruz catches a pass and is down outside the 30, but a foot or so short of the marker. The right move was to punt. Weatherford has fallen off a bit this year, less hang time. He was told to kick it out of bounds. Instead, he puts a foot into it and kicks it 60 yards, but right to McCluster.

That TD was the end of the game.

IrishInNYC
October 2nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
Ironically Pugh, the youngest, played very well on Sunday up against Justin Houston.

TREPYE
October 6th, 2013, 11:56 PM
It was like effing bizzaro world Eli today in the 4th... First two ints were tough luck cuz his facemask got held and cruz did not hustle to the ball.... The third one was just a braindead throw. Eli's overwhelimingly high number of pick indicate to me tha teams are preping for him and he is too predictable. He has to adjust....

Hopefully next year Giants will have better luck signing & drafting NFL-caliber offensive linemen and running backs. In the likely event we get the #1 pick, gimme the best available o-lineman in the first 2 rounds....

GordonGecko
October 7th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Seems like Manning has basically thrown in the towel

eddhead
October 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Some of those interceptions were unfathonable.

Still far from 'thowing in the towel" (I don't think Manning has that in him), I think he is trying to do too much. Right now, the Giants have no ground game to speak of, and defenses are teeing off on the rush. Manning is constantly back-peddeling. That doesn't explain ALL the interceptions, some of which really made me shake my head, but the groundings, taken together with the interceptions are indications he is tryng to single-handedly win games. As good a player as he is, he is not THAT good.

Who'ld have thought this team would be literally imploding at this point in the season. And they have the Bears on Thursday Night. Good luck with that.

I dumped Eli two weeks ago, and was lucky enough to pick up Philip Rivers, if you can imagine. What a Godsend.

TREPYE
October 10th, 2013, 11:30 PM
My goodness gracious!!! W-T-F. WTF! The Giants didn't play a lick of defense between the 2nd and mid third... Its one first down march after another. Then Eli, oh, Eli, what is going on! When he is not telegraphing his passes or his recievers running bad routes, the ball bounces off the receivers like a pinball machine??

Now 0-6...

...we got the NFC east teams right where we want them!

GordonGecko
October 11th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Giants angling for a #1 pick

IrishInNYC
October 11th, 2013, 06:53 AM
I don't know what's more laughable...the fact that it is still not beyond the realms of possibility for them to win the NFC East or that the Giants, after 2 SB wins in 5 years, will be deciding how best to divvy up a top 5 pick next May.

Going with the theory they might actually be in that position; I don't see them staying with a high pick. With the glut of QB's on the menu next year the Giants would likely trade down for a lower first round and a couple of later picks.

That said, come on lads, put your shoulder into it. Stop kidding around.

eddhead
October 11th, 2013, 12:13 PM
Thier O-line is a mess. At least they ran the ball decently for stretches last night, but they cannot protect Eli worth a damn.

IrishInNYC
October 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thier O-line is a mess. At least they ran the ball decently for stretches last night, but they cannot protect Eli worth a damn.

It was definitely more competitive last night and Jacobs was surprisingly effective (what was his percentage start in FF I wonder?) but Manning has no faith at all that the pocket will (form) last a half second. I feel bad for the guy because you know how badly he wants to carry the team to a couple of wins. He cares nothing about personal numbers (15 picks through 6 games v 15 picks in 16 last year). And then you have big bro playing like it's Xbox on easy mode. Tough times.

ZippyTheChimp
October 11th, 2013, 02:25 PM
One good thing:

Justin Pugh looked good again at RT. It helped a lot that David Diehl was back next to him. It showed in that Jacobs had his best runs on the right side.

eddhead
October 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM
But what in the world is going on with the left side?

On one play 3rd qtr, Eli was being pursued maybe 12 yards from his own endzone. He pivoted toward the endzond (not really a great move) and was almost engulfed.

They just don't seem like the Giants - a team hisorically staffed with monster o-linemen.

ZippyTheChimp
October 11th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Don't forget, Chris Snee is gone for the year, Baas is out, and the line has been reshuffled.

And losing Hynoski as a blocker, both run and pass, was huge.

mariab
October 11th, 2013, 03:57 PM
My father would have had a heart attack by now. Either that or he would have been homicidal.

ZippyTheChimp
October 11th, 2013, 04:42 PM
How did he get through the 70s?

eddhead
October 11th, 2013, 05:07 PM
I know how I got thru the 70's, but that is a discussion best had over a beer. ;)

ZippyTheChimp
October 11th, 2013, 06:09 PM
I was probably a lot like this after games in the parking lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

mariab
October 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
How did he get through the 70s?

Larry Czonka's name came up a lot. Usually in the context of "G***amn Czonka!" Or "Frigging Czonka!" And he'd sit there and count all the Giants that the opposing team was running past with the ball. "One! Two! Three! Four G****mmit! Five!"

...over a beer. That seemed to help.

TREPYE
October 22nd, 2013, 01:20 PM
yay, A win.....

IrishInNYC
October 22nd, 2013, 03:59 PM
I was at last night's game. What a stinker. There must have been 400 punts. That, after the Giants teased us as they ate up the clock on their opening drive. We all thought we'd get nice, quick, late night game. We didn't, and it was friggin cold in the stadium last night, a steady wind whipping through mezzanines.

Hillis was quite impressive (even when recovering his fumbles).

Nicks looks like he has forgotten how to play ball. Right side of the OL was leaky.
D was great at stopping the run (holding AP to 28 yards is a great accomplishment). Tuck even got a sack.

It's a start. Of what? I don't know.

ZippyTheChimp
October 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
yay, A win.....A win is a win is a win.

It should help the quality players - who should be performing better than they are - to relax, and stop pressing, trying to win the game all at once.

But the systemic problems remain. There is no running game. I don't usually like ESPN telecasts, but they made a good pregame point - the Giants don't have a good 3rd down back. Eli has to throw against man-to-man coverage, with LB blitzes against an OL that is still not working well as a unit. You beat that with screens, draws, quick shots to a RB in the flat or over the middle. I guess Hillis gets the game ball.

Eli running for a 1st down is what it's come to.

I wish the special teams could figure out why they suck this year.

Bingo
October 23rd, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hopefully we go on a roll from here. The only saving grace is, the NFC is terrible this year. Wouldn't it be something to start 0-6 then win the division. Yes I drinking the delusional juice.

Some photos from the Giants/Broncos game this year.

http://www.blucherphotography.com/Sports/Giants-v-Broncos-2013

eddhead
October 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
the Giants don't have a good 3rd down back. Eli has to throw against man-to-man coverage, with LB blitzes against an OL that is still not working well as a unit. You beat that with screens, draws, quick shots to a RB in the flat or over the middle. I guess Hillis gets the game ball.

Although not a typical 3rd down back, Hillis is a very good receiver and an excellent blocker when in game shape and healthy. Perhaps he can pick up the slack.

IrishInNYC
October 28th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Hey, once again it was ugly, but a win in the Linc, anytime, is a great result. Hillis is improving, Eli made no mistakes and Nicks is finding his groove a little better. Good to go into the bye feeling a bit more positive and a very winnable game waiting on the other side.

TREPYE
November 11th, 2013, 12:39 AM
Albeit haphazardly (like the 2 previous wins) lets keep chugging along Jints!

mariab
November 12th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Well, their stats before their last two Superbowl wins were 10-6 & 9-7, so there's still hope.

IrishInNYC
November 13th, 2013, 07:15 AM
If the Skins beat Philly and Blue beat the Packers...no team in the NFC East will be over 500 after 11 weeks and first and fourth place only separated by 1 game. Who'd a thunk it?

eddhead
November 13th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I can't figure out the Cowboys. Talent wise, they are the class of the division; they have what may be the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best WR in football, a top 5 tight end, an emerging star in Terrance Williams, a top-tier (although turnover prone) OB, and what seems to be an improving ground attack.

Thier defense is abysmal. True, they have suffered their fair share of injuries, particularly upfront, but they are sloppy, committ a ton of penalties and are downright comical in deep coverage. Comparing their game to the Saints, Rob Ryan is looking awfully good.

Offensively, they suck at 3rd down. Romo is an enigma. He looks so great sometimes, but at other times you just shake your head.

This division is wide open. 9-7 or even 8-8 may take it.

ZippyTheChimp
November 13th, 2013, 10:35 AM
The Cowboys are easy to figure out, if you look past the playing field.

Jerry Jones. He's assembled and has full control of a dysfunctional organization. I think it's the most badly run "good-team" in the NFL.

I'm OK with it.

eddhead
November 13th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I agree with you on Jerry Jones. He is actually a worse owner than Woody. Jason Garrett is going to be the one who suffers for it though. Afterall it is unlikely that Jones will fire himself.
Hilli
On a side note, Giants fans must be encouraged by what they saw from Andre Brown last Sunday. I thought he ran reall well.

ZippyTheChimp
November 13th, 2013, 03:05 PM
The Giants should have beaten the Raiders easily, but sloppy play early kept the game close. So the way I see it, Andre Brown won the game, denying the Raiders a last drive.

ZippyTheChimp
November 16th, 2013, 08:01 AM
The two players the Giants have to worry about are RB Eddie Lacy and LB Clay Matthews.

It's a big stepdown from Aaron Rodgers, but the Giants have to assume that Scott Tolzien is a capable QB. I think the Giants will put an extra man into the box to stop the run, and go single coverage deep. Make Tolzien throw the ball. The Packer OL is big, but Dietrich-Smith and Barclay are banged up. Giants JPP is questionable to play, but the Giants have to put pressure on the QB.

On offense, the Giants need to run the ball to negate Matthews. The Packers gave up 155 yards to Eagle RB McCoy last week. Compared to his lousy start, Will Beatty has played well since Chicago. He has to protect Manning's blind side. The Packer secondary is weak.

Good luck.

IrishInNYC
November 16th, 2013, 01:08 PM
I'll be at the game tomorrow and look forward to nice weather and what should be a defining/deciding game of the season. They have played some fantastic football against a Rodgers led Packers team over the past few seasons and I hope they don't drop their guard now that he's out. Andre Brown is a game changer and it helps Eli immensely to have a solid 100 yard option behind him. We are also due a big game from either Nicks or Cruz. One of them will hit on a multi TD game soon. Why not tomorrow?

TREPYE
November 18th, 2013, 12:25 PM
After an 0-6 start I think every game from here on forward is a defining/deciding game. Caught many a break in these 4 straight, oh well, I'll take being lucky over good anyday and twice on Sunday. Hopefully facing all these scrubs has instilled some confidence into this team; the extended preseason better over boys.
(RG3's throw and last INT yesterday is one of the worst A-hole throws under dire circumstances I have witnessed in recent memory; good grief <sigh!>)

Hey Dallas see that blue fog in your periphery; its the Giants breathing down your bleeping neck b-tches.....

ZippyTheChimp
November 19th, 2013, 10:23 AM
Giants still have a big uphill battle. Good luck and steadily improving play got them to the point where the Cowboys game is relevant. A must win game, but the schedule after that is rough.

Hopefully, the Giants are past their special teams problems; they played well last Sunday. Because of injuries, the secondary is going to be an ongoing problem; they just have to deal with it. The biggest improvement I saw in the defense was excellent tackling, especially in the box. The acquisition of LB Jon Beason has been a big factor.

The Cowboys are banged up defensively. LB and signal caller Sean Lee is out for at least 3 weeks; that is huge. LB Justin Durant is also out. Kyle Wilber moved from DE to LB. DeMarcus Ware did not practice yesterday. He'll probably play Sunday, but banged up. Safety JJ Wilcox practiced yesterday after missing a month.

The Cowboys will need offense to win, and they are capable. It's up to the Giants offense to control time of possession, no turnovers.

JCMAN320
November 24th, 2013, 12:36 AM
This game has me nervous. This is the type of game the Giants typically shit the bed but Im hoping that's not the case tomorrow.

IrishInNYC
November 25th, 2013, 12:02 PM
A real season killer. It was very, very cold at the stadium yesterday with the wind whipping around from any and all directions. Nicks hasn't been great but the fact he was out really hurt the team in that Dallas knew they were only going to be stretched long on Cruz. Defense was poor with JPP having a complete dead day at work and the complete lack of a final stand was telling.

ZippyTheChimp
November 25th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I don't know what more we could have expected. It's not like they were riding a winning streak as a good team. They got steadily better and took advantage of the schedule (didn't face a good QB in those 4 games) to make yesterday's game fun to watch.

Both teams are flawed by injuries and poor play at key positions in a weak division. It was a tossup; the Giants getting 2.5 points for home field.

Nicks may have made a difference, but maybe not. He hasn't had a good year, maybe part of it frustration because the Giants can't stretch the field as they have in the past. They don't have the OL for it, so they have to go to the short game, and that also has weaknesses. There's no Barber-like RB as a secondary receiver. The biggest disappointment here has been TE Brandon Myers, who has been a huge disappointment compared to his very good 2012 at Oakland. It's hard to imagine the Giants without a good TE. Even during the 1970s when they compiled miserable 35-67 record, they had Bob Tucker, who caught more passes then any TE in the NFL during that decade.

They even have trouble with simple screen passes; how many have been run back for TDs, 2, 3?

The passing game is mostly the wideouts; it showed last night with the trouble in the red zone.

The defense has the big problem I mentioned earlier - secondary weakened by injury, except for Antrel Rolle, and the defensive line could not make up for it. With the game on the line, they couldn't stop that last drive.

IrishInNYC
November 25th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I guess we're all hoping for chicken salad to be made from chicken sh*t. There's no fairy tale ending for this season though.

TREPYE
November 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Its bad enough that Kevin Gilbride (aka; kildrive) has very minimal imagination for offensive game plans. But his insticts on Sunday were BRUTAL and I would even say him single handedly cost us the game/division/season on Sunday with his killdrive antics. Balance means nothing when you are being successful in one facet of your offense; if they cant stop the run KEEP RUNNING till they freaking stop it; specially considering the weather! The fumble from Cruz after his short yardage catch was preceded by a great run, that should have been followed by another running play; he kept giving the Dallas defense such a break with his play calling, ugh. Brandon Jacobs steams rolls for over a 40 yd run, so of course this "genious" reaplaces him. Albeit Brown was successful, you cannot take an RB out when he is steamrolling the way Jacobs was. What are you doing?? Effing idiot.

ZippyTheChimp
November 27th, 2013, 11:48 AM
I can't see blaming one person - or the game plan - for the loss.

Jacobs big run was from midfield; things get different when the field is compressed in the red zone. The Giants have had trouble here all year. The first two scoring drives were long, but they stalled inside the 10. In the second drive, it was 1st and goal at the 4. On 1st down, Brown lost 6 yards. The one bizarre call in the game occurred here - a run on 3rd down from the 10.

The OL is a combination of inexperience and patchwork. We even lost the backup center on Sunday.

On the crucial scoring drive in the 4th Q: 1st down at the Dallas 27, Jacobs runs for 2 yards. Do you keep running here? The big play on the drive was Manning to Cruz over the middle for 22 yard to the Dallas 5. On 1st down, Jacobs runs for 1 yard. Should they run again? On 2nd down, Manning passes to Murphy for the TD. They get the 2 point conversion. Score tied late at home. Dallas has to start at their 20. The game was right there for them.

So you could also blame Perry Fewell for a lousy game plan, but that would also be unfair. The giants don't have the horses on defense either.

You could blame bad breaks. The fumble at the sideline caught before it hit the ground and run back 50 yards for a TD was a killer, especially that it came after Rolle picked off Romo.

More bad breaks: On a Dallas drive early in the 4th Qtr, on successive plays - Romo gets a bad snap in the shotgun, but manages to get the ball and throw it out of bounds. On the next play, Bryant fumbles; the ball goes all the way back to the Dallas 31, but out of bounds before a Giant can recover. So instead of a short field, the Giants get the ball on their 16 yd line, and don't score.

But the Giants got breaks too. There were two no-calls for pass interference on McBride that could have been big plays.

Anyway, luck is part of the game. If you look at the stats, you see two evenly matched teams in a game that ended as close as it can. As a Giants fan, it's nice to be able to say that we're better than the Cowboys, but it's not true this year.

TREPYE
November 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
On the crucial scoring drive in the 4th Q: 1st down at the Dallas 27, Jacobs runs for 2 yards. Do you keep running here? The big play on the drive was Manning to Cruz over the middle for 22 yard to the Dallas 5. On 1st down, Jacobs runs for 1 yard. Should they run again?

That is the antithesis of my point. If you are running successfully as they were doing then you have discovered a hole in their defense whether it be that your blockers are overpowering their linbackers, Dbacks and linemen, or that they defense has not shifted enought of their personel to plug the holes in. From what I saw it was the former and not the later and as such you should keep your offensive scheme to keep punchturing these runing holes until their defense has to overcommit; if that means running the ball 10 straight times then so be it. As soon as they stop your run game two straight times via an overcompensation, play-action the shit out of them until you either get the TD, FG or they stop you three (or four) straight times. Game plans only could get you so far and to ascribe to an unsuccessfull preconceived notion of what the game is going to be like is just plain idiotic. This is where having good insticts would have payed off.

Seldom does this defense ever get a big stop; to be fair not many NFL defenses do so nowaday; after the injuries it was a near automatic that Dallas was going to march down. The offense should have given the defense some margin. Not only did they not, but they asisted Dallas's defensive cause by being so morbirdly predictable. The season came down to this one game and the game was lost at the hands of the OC: Gilbride.

ZippyTheChimp
November 30th, 2013, 05:46 PM
That is the antithesis of my point.Of course it is. But when they got within field goal range, it was 2 key passes, not runs, that led to the tying TD. Why would you have run?

If you look at the complete stasts, the Giants rushed the ball 30 times.That doesn't mean you should just keep running. They had sustained drives that stalled on first and goal because they couldn't run in close, or pass to the TE. It doesn't matter how much yardage you chew up in the middle of the field if you can't cross the goal line. 8 points lost.

That's been the story all year.

Seldom does this defense ever get a big stop;True.

The offense should have given the defense some margin.The one thing the Giants did in the game that they always did over the last few years - they came back late and got the big score. The defense needed one big stop, and they didn't do it. They have not been good all year. Look at the Packer game, and all the yardage that a third string QB piled up against them - 24/34, 339 yds.

If you think that the problem was game strategy rather than personnel and execution, then you're saying that the Giants man-for-man are better than the Cowboys, and they should have won the game going away. I don't see that at all; I see two evenly matched teams that played a close game.

If the defense made that last stop, and the Giants drove to FG range and won, we're not having this conversation.

TREPYE
December 1st, 2013, 11:28 AM
If Gilbride does his job aptly this season the defense does not have to make a stop. That is pretty much it for me; cuz of him the season is moot.

I cant remember my football/sports season ending so darn early.... Knicks, Nets are obviously being deeply inspired by the Giants. Mets pissing money away at 4th outfielders, then they will yelp that they are broke.... WTF is left? ......??

(maybe St. John's Basketball)
(Take up Rangers again)

ZippyTheChimp
December 1st, 2013, 11:01 PM
Gilbride has gotten really really stupid since the two Super Bowls.

TREPYE
December 1st, 2013, 11:17 PM
^
...aptly this season...
;)

IrishInNYC
December 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
Though the Redskins will feel aggrieved after the officiating snafu just after the 2 minute warning last night, the Giants were worthy enough winners of a meaningless game (wooden spoon anyone?).

Tuck was his old, awesome self. Great to see.

Let's aim to get over the 500 hump and take what we can from the season.

mariab
December 10th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Do we have a "crying in anguish" emoticon? Although, for me it would've been more devastating if they made it to the post season then lost.

eddhead
December 11th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I have a feeling the Giants are going to play tough this week. Despite the bad season, there is a lot of character on that team beginning with the head coach. Niether Eli nor Tuck have played well this year, but they are both prideful, and strong leaders. I think they will each play well, and lead the others by example.

ZippyTheChimp
December 11th, 2013, 11:25 PM
The Seahawks may want to establish a dialogue about the stadium - "win now and again in Feb." Stuff like that.

The AFC will be the home team, so I guess the NFC gets the visitor locker room. I wouldn't be surprised if the Seahawks leave something there.

The Giants may get motivated with, "You're not here yet," and be up for the game.

IrishInNYC
December 16th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Well, so much for the Giants being motivated yesterday (actually, I assume they were but lack something else entirely). Eli has thrown 81 interceptions in the last 62 games. That is a pretty astonishing record to go along with becoming the all time Giants INT leader. How much of it is his fault? I love the guy and can't get on him after delivering two Superbowls to the city so for me something has to give on the sideline.

Dare I say Coughlin needs to hang up the clipboard to allow some fresh ideas into the locker room? It goes without saying that Gilbride needs to go in the off-season...he has been clueless at times. The organization won't do anything rash or sudden and will let the season play out as it will but there is little doubt it's time for a shake up in the coaching department. The majority of the pieces on the field are there, and are good.

Seattle must have thought the stadium so strange at times yesterday. It was so quiet. Despite an overnight snowstorm, parking was easy, no traffic. Many 'fans' appear to have thrown in the towel (even the "All In" ones).

Good time to upgrade seats. That's my plan anyway. Next year is a new season.

eddhead
December 16th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I was shocked at how poorly they played yesterday, especially on offense. Defensively they really didn't seem to play that poorly, but the offense showed no pride whatsoever.

Their offensive line is putrid. Where did these guys learn to block? And their receivers showed no desire to fight for the ball.

I give major creds to Rolle who wouldn't allow Couglin to accept the blame. In reality this kind of lack of motivation does at least to an extent reflect on the coach, but Rolle's words indicated that the players more than the HC need to be held accountable for not showing up. Of course he directed his comments to the offense - and appropriately so. Nevertheless, they really made their coach - who is seen as responsible for getting them to play, look bad.

Still, it worked out for me. I have Seattle in my fantasy pool and they got 24 points which is remarkable for a defense. As long as Matthew Stafford doesn't break a leg tonight, I a going to the finals next week.

IrishInNYC
December 16th, 2013, 02:48 PM
I made my fantasy wild card game last weekend but came up against the buzzsaw that is Jamaal Charles. What a demon he has been the past few weeks.

And on topic, to not get a point of offense, at home, is deplorable for both players and the HC.

eddhead
December 16th, 2013, 03:27 PM
I have Charles, (drafted him with my first pick) and he saved my butt yesterday. All the more important because I picked Gronkowsi off the waiver wire a week or two prior to the Jets game while he was still hurt - a move that looked brilliant 4 weeks ago, but has caused me supreme angst lately.

As of this writing I an technically down by 2 points this week, but I have Stafford going tonight. As long as he doesn't oversleep, I will make the finals

But you never know ....

IrishInNYC
December 19th, 2013, 09:37 AM
It’s Coughlin’s Time to Say Goodbye, Gotham

... But it doesn't have to be messy or angry. It's clear the expiration date has come for the Giants legend, and the best thing is for all sides to move on amicably, because it could get worse before it gets better
by Don Banks
(http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/18/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants/print/)

(https://plus.google.com/share?url={http://mmqb.si.com/2013/12/18/tom-coughlin-new-york-giants/})
http://simmqb.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/tom-coughlin-800.jpg?w=800&h=511

The Giants have bottomed out in 2013 at 5-9, facing potentially the worst record in Tom Coughlin’s New York tenure. (Carlos M. Saavedra/Sports Illustrated)It’s probably the first time I’ve ever considered him the voice of reason, no matter the topic, but I’m starting to think Lawrence Taylor got this one exactly right: All good things must come to an end, and this year that rule applies to even Tom Coughlin’s time in New York.

Don’t make the mistake of shooting the messenger because it was Taylor, the controversial and at times erratic Hall of Fame Giants linebacker, who made the case for ending Coughlin’s New York reign after 10 mostly successful years. Instead, consider the message, which I thought Taylor delivered the other day with the necessary respectful tone, and a clear-eyed sense of reality for where things stand in New York.

“Tom Coughlin has done wonders for the Giants,” Taylor told the New York Post (http://nypost.com/2013/12/15/lt-tom-coughlin-must-go/). “Personally, I don’t know if I could play for him, but the guy is a winner, he is a fighter. But I think it is time for him to take his talents on the road. He’s done all he can do for the Giants. If he wants to coach, I think he needs to take his philosophies to another team.
“After a while, the players just stop listening. I respect the man, but it’s time. As much as I like Coughlin and the job he has done, it’s time for a shakeup.”

Taylor’s was not another fire-the-coach rant, delivered in anger and devoid of perspective or recognition of past accomplishment. Instead, it was the realization that even the best coaches, even those with two Super Bowl rings on their resume, eventually run out of answers and reach their tenure’s expiration date.

Taylor believes Coughlin is at that point with the Giants, and I find myself agreeing with his argument. Not all NFL divorces have to be ugly or messy—think Peyton Manning in Indianapolis—and Coughlin deserves considerable say in how the end game plays out. But it does look like change is needed in New York, and the only question is, will anyone who really matters recognize it and act?
THE FACTS
The Facts

* The Giants missed the playoffs in four of the past five seasons, with only the surprise 2011 Super Bowl run—as a 9-7, No. 4-seeded team—breaking up that drought. Albeit in spectacular fashion.

* Since starting the 2012 season at 6-2, the Giants have gone just 8-14, the worst record in the NFC East in that span. Since winning the Super Bowl in February 2012, New York is 14-16 overall.

* While five of Coughlin’s 10 teams in New York made the postseason, the only years the Giants won any playoff games were in 2007 and 2011, the two Super Bowl seasons. That’s making the most of your two best opportunities, but it also speaks to the reality that the Giants under Coughlin have had success in fits and starts.

* New York started this season 0-6, its worst getaway since 1976, and the 5-9 Giants need to win both of their final two games in order to avoid the franchise’s worst season since 2003, Jim Fassel’s last season coaching the team.

* The Giants offense is in obvious need of some re-vamping. New York is the only NFL team to have been shut out this season, and it has happened twice, including last Sunday’s 23-0 home loss to Seattle. Quarterback Eli Manning’s play has slumped considerably, with his 25 interceptions leading the NFL this season. The key to a Giants resurgence is fixing Manning’s game, much like rookie Chargers head coach Mike McCoy was able to do this season for Philip Rivers, Manning’s fellow member of the 2004 quarterback class. And just making offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride the sacrificial lamb isn’t going far enough.

Make no mistake, the Giants have grown stale under Coughlin. As they stumble home this season, at 5-9 and just two losses shy of the worst record in his decade in New York, I can’t help but think that Coughlin has already done his best work with one of the league’s flagship franchises—twice, in fact—and the odds are decidedly against him ever reaching that pinnacle again.While it can never be easy or enjoyable to leave on a down note, especially for a coach as driven and competitive as Coughlin, I’m convinced a year too soon is always better than a year too late when contemplating an exit. Think back to Andy Reid’s last two years in Philadelphia and what a dismal coda they were on his 14-year stint with the Eagles. According to friends in the know, even Reid in time recognized that his stay lasted a year or two longer than it should have, tarnishing some of his great work.

Coughlin will be 68 next season, and is entering the final year of his contract in 2014. It’s not the Giants’ style to make Coughlin work the final year of his deal without an extension of some sort, and I can’t see them going that route. But are they willing to add a year to his contract out of respect for his body of work, knowing he might never see 2015 in the job? Would 2014 represent a victory-lap season in that case, and do those ever turn out being a sweet, sentimental ride?

The Giants would never try to force Coughlin into retirement and the gold watch route, and they shouldn’t. He deserves the appreciation and respect of the franchise for both his years of winning, and the way he has won. But it’s time for someone to have an honest chat with one of the legendary coaches in Giants history, about where things realistically are headed in New York. Isn’t it better to get started now on planning the Giants’ future, rather than holding on to the team’s recent and glorious past any longer?
Those who know Coughlin say he’ll never walk away and give up on coaching. It’s all he knows, and all he lives for, and it occupies his time and energy like nothing else. But like Taylor suggested, maybe there’s another team out there that would kill to have a dose of Coughlin’s coaching, even if it’s just for the short term. I can think of two teams in the NFC East alone that could use his winning touch (isn’t that right, Washington and Dallas fans?)

If the prompting is skillful enough, Coughlin could make it his call to leave the Giants, take the high road out of town, and step aside to make room for a fresh set of eyes and ears, which is what the franchise most likely needs now. It could be done quietly, and in the Giants’ way, but it could be a case of letting Coughlin decide his work with the team is done, while the afterglow of New York’s second Super Bowl title two years ago is still relatively fresh in memory.

Coughlin was the right man at the right time for the Giants, for most of the past decade. He brought a much-needed discipline to a veteran team, then learned how to be more flexible and help that club get over the hump and earn the game’s grandest prize. Twice. But a new approach does seem required. And his impact has been lessened by time, and the natural inclination of players to grow unfazed by a coach who grows too familiar.

Not many coaches or players get to experience it, but the best exits in the NFL are the ones where you leave on your own accord. Coughlin shouldn’t go because he has to go. He should go because the signs say his time is up, and his work in New York is done.
For the Giants, it’s time for a change. Because it’s true, all good things must come to an end.

eddhead
December 19th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Tough message to direct to a really top-line coach, and a stand up guy - arguably a HOFer. I have always respected Couglin and the way he goes about his job. But it does appear that the players have stopped responding to him. That reflects as poorly on them as it does on him, but you can' fire 43 players.

ZippyTheChimp
February 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
A disappointing season is always softened by the fact that the Cowboys were again denied a Super Bowl appearance. Sometime after a decade of drought, I wanted to see them out for 20 years. One more year to go.

It's especially gratifying to learn that one of the three games that Jerry Jones said made him cry was the 2008 divisional playoff loss to the Giants.

The Bernard Herrmann score from Psycho is perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPDb96MOAFc

mariab
March 14th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I don't know why the Giants didn't fight for him. I look at this as a loss. The grass always looks greener on the other side, meaning whoever they're replacing Tuck with, but Tuck didn't look like a slacker to me.

Justin Tuck says the NY Giants made no effort to bring him back and ‘that made my mind up for me’

Though the 30-year-old Tuck made it clear he wasn't bitter and didn't want to 'bad-mouth' the only organization he's ever known, he told the Daily News on Friday that he's still 'upset' with the way his long Giants tenure ended.

By Ralph Vacchiano (http://wirednewyork.com/authors?author=Ralph Vacchiano) / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, March 14, 2014, 1:16 PM

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1721733.1394817173!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/88971995jm019-oakland-raide.jpgJim McIsaac/Getty Images

Which way is Oakland? Justin Tuck is disappointed by lack of respect in closing days as a Giant.

When it was over, the Giants didn't even say good-bye.
There was no big send-off for Justin Tuck, no "Thanks for the memories" after nine stellar seasons. Just a phone call from his agent late Thursday afternoon to tell him the Giants wouldn't even come close to matching the offer he got from the Oakland Raiders. That, Tuck told the Daily News, "made up my mind for me" and left him feeling like the Giants "didn't really want me at all."

Though the 30-year-old Tuck made it clear he wasn't bitter and didn't want to "bad-mouth" the only organization he's ever known, he told the Daily News on Friday that he's still "upset" with the way his long Giants tenure ended. He said he went into the offseason "thinking I'd be a Giant for life" and willing to take considerably less money to make it happen.
But the offer he got from the Giants "was pretty much disrespectful to be honest with you" - approximately half of the two-year, $11 million deal he eventually signed.

"They wouldn't have had to match it," Tuck said. "You know, at the beginning of free agency I'm going in thinking I'm not looking for a lot. I understand the Giants have a lot of holes to fill. If they were trying to sign me before free agency hit, or at least were trying to communicate with us, then I probably would've took somewhere around a two-year deal, $8 million, somewhere around there.

RELATED: VACCHIANO: SALARY CONCERNS CAP TUCK TENURE
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1721731.1394817172!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/138489765.jpgAndrew Burton/Getty Images

Justin Tuck (l.), part of two Super Bowl-winning teams, isn't happy about the way his Big Blue days ended.

"But it wasn't even like that. It was like they weren't even trying to get me back. That made my mind up for me."

Tuck said he always believed the Giants would up their offer from the two years and less than $6 million he said they put on the table during a meeting with his agent in February. He believed it, in fact, right up until Tuesday, March 11 - the day the free-agent signing period began.

Even after he left for Oakland the next day there was hope. He said that he spoke to Mara before he left and the co-owner told him "Just give us the opportunity to have the last say-so". So, after meeting with the Raiders and having dinner with GM Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen and spending the night in the Bay area, he called Mara on Thursday afternoon to tell him about the offer.
Mara then told him "I appreciate you giving us the opportunity to sit back and talk about it" and he promised they'd be in touch.
Fifteen minutes later, Tuck's phone rang with a phone call from his agent, Doug Hendrickson.

RELATED: TUCK 'EXCITED' TO JOIN RAIDERS AFTER GETTING GIANT SNUB (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tuck-moves-giants-agreeing-deal-raiders-article-1.1720722)
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1721732.1394817173!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/raiders-giants-football.jpgKathy Willens/AP

After nine seasons with the Giants, Justin Tuck will be joining the Raiders instead of chasing them.

"He said 'They didn't budge at all from their offer,'" Tuck said. "That pretty much made my mind up for me."

If the Giants really never wanted Tuck back, even after his 11-sack season in 2013 - which is certainly how it appears -- he just wishes they had told him that up front. It would've made the offseason less stressful for him and his family, and given him more times to come to terms with the fact that he had to move on.
"Exactly," Tuck said. "That's the disrespect part. I don't want people to think I'm bad-mouthing the Giants. I'm not. I understand the business and I have so much gratitude for them giving me the opportunity to have my presence felt in New York and be the man I've become.

"I'm just frustrated with how it ended. I'm upset about it. But I'll move on and hopefully one day time will heal all wounds. Right now, I just don't understand a lot that's gone on and how they strung us along."
Even through the hurt, though, Tuck said he had mostly good memories and thoughts about his time in New York. "Like I said, I'm not bitter," he said. "I still love that organization and have a lot of respect for the people that work there. I still consider myself lucky that I've been able to be here for nine years."

But for now, the emotions are raw and the wound is still open, and he's looking forward to proving to the Giants that their decision to let him go was wrong.
"I plan on having a pretty damn awesome year next year to be honest with you," he said. "I appreciate the Giants for giving me a lot more motivation for next season."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/lack-effort-giants-drove-tuck-raiders-article-1.1721734#ixzz2vyKU7OmI

ZippyTheChimp
March 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM
Fans never like this stuff, but it's the reality of the NFL.

The Giants couldn't afford the salary cap hit to allow Justin Tuck to play out his career and retire; the Raiders could afford it because they have a lot of cap space and generally suck.

Tuck had been on a slide the last two seasons. His revival was over the last six games of last season. Six of his sacks came in the two Redskin games, a team that gave up last year. If the Giants give him say 4 million, and he has a decent year, what do they do about JPP, six years younger and in a contract year.

The biggest issue on the Giants is the O-line; they couldn't even run screens, let alone allow Manning to take a pounding all season.

I'm sorry to see Tuck go, not because of his skills, but that he's a good guy.

eddhead
March 15th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I agree the Giants couldn't afford the cap hit, but some kind of announcement expressing appreciation for the years of service would have been nice. Given how much he has meant to the franchise, the silence is deafening.

mariab
March 15th, 2014, 04:37 PM
I agree. He was one of the good eggs. A good sportsman who put his shoulder to the wheel and put his team first.

IrishInNYC
March 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM
The Giants don't mess around with sentiment when it comes to free agency. Tuck is pushing the limit of his body in terms of both injury and time and only the Raiders have the money to throw at a project like that. Even half of what he got to go west would have been poor business sense for the Giants. He was a great leader and locker room guy, got his 2 rings and is now cashing in for the last couple of years he has left. Everyone is happy.

The team has made a couple of solid acquisitions so far on the O line in Schwartz and Walton (assuming Walton is capable of a full season). With Boothe testing the FA water in Oakland the Giants still need at least 2 more bodies that can help give Manning a second to breathe.

Rashad Jennings coming in and Hillis re-signing means the Giants are likely to be as wacky and frustrating a team at RB as ever. Nicks leaving is no surprise to anyone. Manningham coming back won't be a surprise either.

IrishInNYC
March 18th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Rodgers-Cromartie, Thurmond, Holliday, Demps.....some really nice work on special teams and the secondary by Jerry Reese. Much to be excited for with the Giants FA work this year.

JCMAN320
March 19th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Manningham is also coming back!

IrishInNYC
April 18th, 2014, 04:32 PM

Pre-season, 1950s. OC Vince Lombardi and Wellington watching closely.

eddhead
May 9th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I realize some of the pundits think otherwise, but I think Odell Beckham was a terrific pick for the Giants. I already love Cruz, if Manningham returns to form, and Jennings and Wilson can provide the type of 1/2 punch I think they can, his team has an opportunity to be a offensive Juggernaut. I love the free agent pick ups as well, especially Rogers - Cromratie.

Very quietly, this team has really improved itself.

IrishInNYC
May 13th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Very quietly

^A perennial trait of the Giants' off-season. It has been stellar this year.

I like the Beckham pick a lot. He has frightening speed that will burn most defenders in the first few yards. He can play in or out so I'm looking forward to some interesting formations with him and Cruz.

He's not likely to be a jump ball specialist but that's not why they picked him. First snap of the season I see Manning going to Beckham for 80 yards and home.

IrishInNYC
June 3rd, 2014, 12:27 PM
Shame that yet another talented, young kid has thrown a promising NFL career into jeopardy with Will Hill being cut. The guy has enough talent to be one of the best in the league at his position but, like so many, he appears to revolve in all the wrong circles.

IrishInNYC
August 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I don't believe the "tears of joy" excuse at all. This must be an utterly devastating blow to a 23yr old kid who likely has very few alternate paths in life. A real shame. I had high hopes for him.

Wilson has 'tears of joy' as he thanks Giants

AP NEWS
Posted:Wed Aug. 6, 2014

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) David Wilson (http://www.si.com/nfl/player/david-wilson) said he had `'tears of joy' as he thanked the Giants (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/new-york-giants) on Wednesday, two days after doctors told the third-year running back that he could no longer play football.

When the 23-year old Wilson, who was waived-injured by the Giants on Tuesday, spoke of his teammates, he paused twice and brushed away tears with the pocket handkerchief from his blue pinstriped suit.

''You have great players, some of them probably will end up in the Hall of Fame, and they support you,'' Wilson said. ''That's such a great feeling.''
Coach Tom Coughlin, hugged Wilson and gave him a long embrace as the two passed in front of each other before practice.
''It's always tough when you have one of your players come to the end, no matter however it comes, it's never pleasant,'' Coughlin said. ''It's very disappointing and upsetting. You have to prepare yourself for the next challenge, the next adventure. I think David's ready for that.''

Wilson made sure that everyone knew that he wasn't sad about his forced retirement. ''These are tears of joy,'' Wilson said. ''Don't think I'm sad. There's no need to dwell on the negative, because if you do, then you feel sorry for yourself and you're not living. I'm still healthy. I'll still be able to do the things that I could always do, except play football.''

Wilson, the Giants' first-round selection of the 2012 draft out of Virginia Tech, had a solid rookie season. He led the NFL in kickoff return yardage, earning 1,533 yards, setting a Giants record. He also rushed for 358 yards and scored four touchdowns.

Wilson's 1,925 all-purpose yards were the sixth-highest in team history and the best for a Giants rookie. He had 327 all-purpose yards in a game against the New OrleansSaints (http://www.si.com/nfl/team/new-orleans-saints), going for 227 yards on kickoff returns and adding 100 yards rushing.

Wilson played in only five games last season before suffering the serious neck injury last October. An MRI showed that Wilson had spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal cord. He had only 146 yards on 44 carries and one touchdown before the injury.

Wilson underwent spinal fusion surgery to repair vertebrae and a herniated disc in his neck in January.
He had received clearance to return to football activities at the start of training camp two weeks ago. But last Tuesday, Wilson caught a pass during a drill, put his head down and ran into the back of an offensive lineman. That hit caused numbness in his hands and lower extremities.
''It was a scary feeling,'' Wilson said. ''I can't hide that fact. But at the same time, I felt perfectly fine and was totally optimistic. I hoped and prayed that I would be cleared. When I say I was really positive, that's what I was. I expected to come back.''

But Giants team doctors and the spinal specialist that operated on Wilson in January both agreed that it would be best for Wilson to step away from the game.
''The doctors dealt with this injury before and I'm comfortable with their answer,'' Wilson said. ''They told me that I would live a healthy life. I have a long life to live. I'm only 23 years old. I've been blessed. I lived my dream by playing in the NFL. I was drafted in the first round. I have guys here who support me in whatever I do.''
Wilson said that he had no immediate plans for his future. He might consider broadcasting or coaching.
''All of these things came to mind,'' Wilson said. ''I have to see what I do next and see what happens.''

His teammates expressed their feelings about Wilson's unexpected retirement. ''He was the heart and soul of this team, a great energy guy,'' Pro Bowl wide receiver Victor Cruz (http://www.si.com/nfl/player/victor-cruz) said. ''It's unfortunate that this happened. He's still a part of this family and I wish him the best. It's really sad and something I can relate to. No one really can. It definitely shows how fortunate and lucky the rest of us are. He had the opportunity to play taken from him. It puts everything in perspective and really took me back and got me thinking.''

IrishInNYC
August 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM
It may only be the pre-season but I'm pretty concerned that the Offense and McAdoo's new tactics aren't working. At all.

eddhead
August 19th, 2014, 04:57 PM
It certainly doesn't look like a Giants offense, especially with respect to the approach they're taking in passing. Than again, this O-line may not be good enough to suppor a vertical passing game.

IrishInNYC
September 9th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Gulp!:confused:

Come on guys. The last Coughlin and Manning year together. Make it a better one than last night.

eddhead
September 9th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I am not sure that the Giants' personnel fits thier offensive philosophy very well. Eli is not strong at throwing underneath, Cruz is more of a vertical threat than he is a slant reciever, they lack a game changing tight end, and with Wilson gone they are thin at the running back positions.

Eli looks completley lost. He is 33 years old and being asked to completely change his game. They're committed to the West Coast a style they may not be suited to and I don't see them throwing the playbook aside now that the season has started. Maybe they turn it around, but I have my doubts.

Right now, this is a team without an identity which is an odd thing to say about a franchise that built is brand on smash-mouth football and downfield passing.

IrishInNYC
September 22nd, 2014, 10:03 AM
Hey, the difference a week makes! The team looked fairly solid on all fronts yesterday against a Texans team that was riding pretty high coming into the game. Eli, was a steadier Eli. Cruz finally woke up in the Meadowlands with some awesome plays.

Looking forward to the 'skins on Thursday.

eddhead
September 22nd, 2014, 04:34 PM
I am not sure if this game reflected more on the Giants or the Texans, but either way, it sure beats losing.