PDA

View Full Version : WNY Member List

lofter1
November 19th, 2010, 10:56 AM
The WNY Member List (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/memberlist.php?) has been disabled:

Sorry! The administrator has disabled the list of members.

Any way that it can be re-instituted?

ZippyTheChimp
November 19th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure the following has anything to do with it.

You may have noticed that many new members post Visitor Messages on their own profiles which are just spam links. The main reason for this is not for others to click on the links, but to get them to appear on search engines.

On the list of Who's Online, along with members and guests, you'll find Web Crawlers accessing threads and member profiles. They are updating urls for search engines. Only active member profiles are accessible, so the spam goes nowhere.

I'd say at least 90% of new members are spam.

BankerToBe
November 19th, 2010, 02:02 PM
90 percent of new members are created by bots? Or by people who want to just push their site, like Mr ET Realtor?

Which is it?

lofter1
November 19th, 2010, 03:15 PM
Maybe it could be configured so that it only shows long-time / members in good standing? Took me forever to find a recent post by a member that I remembered but didn't know where 'twas.

hbcat
November 19th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Have the members been placed on the 15 or 60 day disabled list?

Is there anyway to change the settings on the members list so that only registered members (and not bots) can read it? If not, perhaps the list can be uploaded as a pdf file in the "Forum Issues" section from time to time to discourage automated data harvesting and thus the spam.

ZippyTheChimp
November 19th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Or just disable visitor messages until a number of posts is reached.

Better yet, disable visitor messages altogether. It's hardly ever used. Just send a PM.

hbcat
November 21st, 2010, 03:25 AM
^ I agree. We only need PMs.

Edward
November 24th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'd say at least 90% of new members are spam.
About 30% of new members end up being banned.

Edward
November 24th, 2010, 11:45 AM
Showing the member list puts a certain load on the server (disproportionately high compared to other operations), so I had it disabled back in the days when the server was running slow. I have enabled member list today. In order not to provide an incentive for spammers, banned members and members with less than 10 posts are not included on the list.

Ninjahedge
November 24th, 2010, 11:47 AM
They are getting better at it though.

Posting in a generic thread about something with a post that vaguely has something to do with it (probably a spider that searches out web topics, then posts a pre-made answer that MAY be related).

At the bottom is almost always a link.

I am just worried about when they get smart enough to spider-spam w/no link, try again and see if it is "safe", then get a real guy in to try and plant the links.....

ZippyTheChimp
November 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
^
Just report any post with a link attached that doesn't relate to the thread. The Bots are basically updating search engines, looking for recent activity - like responding to spam posts.

ZippyTheChimp
November 24th, 2010, 12:30 PM
About 30% of new members end up being banned.That's just the stuff we're catching and banning. We only get the profile spam while it's on "welcome newest member."

The IP I reported on Nov 12 with 19 users now has about 90. None of them have posted; it's all profile. 70 new members in 2 weeks, and that's just one IP.

Most of this stuff originates in the Philippines. I think if you disable visitor messages, they'll eventually flag the site and go away.

Edward
November 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
That's totally true. Visitor messages were used mostly by spammers. I have disabled the visitor messaging altogether, hopefully this will help with spam prevention.

stache
November 24th, 2010, 01:58 PM
This is a good step.

ablarc
November 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM
So is there a members list or not? I can't make the putative one do anything. And I sure miss the list.

lofter1
November 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I have enabled member list today.

Double thanks!!

lofter1
November 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
So is there a members list or not?

It's HERE (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/memberlist.php)

In the header list at the top of this page it's found in the drop-down list under "Community"

Fabrizio
November 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I saw the thread title and I was all ready to say that mine lists slightly to the left.

But never mind.

lofter1
November 25th, 2010, 06:01 PM
In the Clintonian mode (as claimed by Ms. Jones) or in the Commie-Pinko (http://rlv.zcache.com/commie_pinko_liberal_feminazi_tshirt-p235928210744788264qmae_400.jpg) fashion?

Fabrizio
November 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Just remember that my left is your right and I give instructions in tiller orders.

MidtownGuy
November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM
member list, not lisp!

stache
November 30th, 2010, 07:23 PM
^ You're killing me!

Fabrizio
November 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM
^ Another athhole

MidtownGuy
December 1st, 2010, 01:44 AM
arthhole would be the European equivalent, no?

...or how 'bout il arthhole. Oh never mind, it's all good.:D

Ninjahedge
December 1st, 2010, 08:06 AM
Too many blind eyes being turned on this thread.....

lofter1
December 1st, 2010, 11:48 AM
The cat fight finds its way into thread after thread ...