PDA

View Full Version : Woman leaps to her death on W. Side

scumonkey
November 28th, 2010, 04:05 AM
Woman leaps to her death on W. Side (http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/woman_leaps_to_her_death_off_side_giKPXWU8xPEQsiNs 3j7yiO)

By VINITA SINGLA and DOUG AUER
Last Updated: 12:52 PM, November 27, 2010
Posted: 11:10 AM, November 27, 2010

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/woman_leaps_to_her_death_off_side_giKPXWU8xPEQsiNs 3j7yiO#ixzz16ZA9NXCG

A woman jumped to her death earlier today off a swank West Side hi-rise, authorities said.

The victim – who hasn’t been identified – leapt just before 9 a.m. from one of the upper floors of
505 West 37th Street near Tenth Avenue, authorities said. The luxury apartment building is located a block from the Javits Convention Center.
She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The impact of the woman’s fall was so powerful that it split the concrete sidewalk where she landed.
The investigation into the apparent suicide is ongoing.
http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/11/27/news/photos_stories/112710JUMPER5GPM124918--300x450.jpg

stache
November 28th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Split the sidewalk? :eek:

mariab
November 28th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Horrible. I respect someone's right to take their own life, regardless of what religion or the law says, but I wonder, in the few seconds after she jumped, if she regretted it. The 4 people who jumped from the Golden Gate Bridge & actually survived all said they regretted it right after jumping. I just hope since she could see no way out, that she was at peace with it.

ablarc
November 28th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Could she have clobbered someone on the sidewalk?

mariab
November 28th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah, but take heart; she paid for it with her life. A very lonely, torturous, horrific death.

stache
November 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM
But quick. It's actually the most popular form of suicide in NYC.

mariab
November 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately for them they have plenty of choices. Didn't a college student (not Tyler Clemente) just jump off the ESB about a year ago?

lofter1
November 29th, 2010, 09:35 AM
maybe ... The Rent Was Too Damn High :confused:

stache
November 29th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Sometimes that is the case.

Ninjahedge
November 29th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Nah, jumping ain't torture.

Mother nature just kicks you in the arse with an automatic "survival instinct - WTH are you doing" response, but you are over and done with in 5-20 seconds (YHMV).

Problem is, you just made a huge mess for someone else to clean up, you COULD have hurt someone else. and there were probably other ways to do it that would have hurt less all around.

Then again, suicide is generally selfish anyway. Ironically, that is what keeps many from doing it. Not for themselves, but for the others around them that would be hurt because of their own selfish actions.............

Happy Holidays? :(

mariab
November 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Everything leading up to it once you've made the decision to do it is torturous, even the few seconds you're falling, although some people who've survived report having a feeling of peace & acceptance. The effect on loved ones, whoever finds you, the fear of the unknown & the anguish of not wanting to live any longer, is also torturous. It is a very selfish, desperate decision, but it doesn't mean they didn't care about those left behind, it means they couldn't stand the pain anymore. The people who make this decision are no longer in the same mindset they were when they were well, so they no longer care about the safety of others. This woman may have been trying to make a point to someone who wronged her, & figured pills or razors wouldn't do it. Not saying it's right or wrong, but trying to convince someone to keep it safe if they are going to do it will fall on deaf ears.

elain
November 29th, 2010, 07:07 PM
It seems strange that they haven't released her name yet.

elain
November 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Ah, just found it. "Police have identified the young woman who leaped to her death from the roof of a luxury hi-rise in Hells Kitchen over the weekend.
Anniken Pedersen, 20, jumped from her 36-story building on West 37th Street near 10th Avenue at 9 a.m. Saturday, police said."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/nypd_blotter/nypd_daily_blotter_RZCMyxFNVFheTlPnluy3zH#ixzz16fl d0r52

mariab
November 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I guess more details will come out this week. Authorities are probably still talking to friends & family.

ZippyTheChimp
November 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
When depressed, just put on some Christmas music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siWvAo2twV0

antinimby
November 29th, 2010, 08:07 PM
But quick. It's actually the most popular form of suicide in NYC.I'm surprised there aren't more people killed by falling people.

Ninjahedge
November 30th, 2010, 08:24 AM
You have a better chance of that than winning Powerball.... :P

kagpo
December 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, Anniken died. I've known her for only 5 months, but she was so smart and good looking too. She was in my class at a college and she was from Norway. No one knows what really caused her to do such a thing, but she's planned it for a long time.:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

stache
December 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
Lots of suicide at that high latitude. :(