PDA

View Full Version : Why the forum was down for three days in December

Edward
December 6th, 2010, 02:23 AM
To put it briefly, I shut down the forum in order to perform repairs to the forum database. Our (former) moderator BrooklynRider sent me a message announcing his resignation at about 2 am on Friday and then immediately started deleting all his posts as well as forum threads. I do not know what system he followed, but by the end of the night he deleted several hundred threads.

I was alerted to the problem on Friday morning when forum member noticed that number of posts has decreased. At that point I closed the forum and decided to do a restore from a backup.

This took more than I expected. The tech support from vBulletin was taking literally 6 to 12 hours to send an email, but in the end it was done. As a result, the database was restored to the state as of 12:10 am on Friday. New posts done on Friday morning are not currently displayed, but could be restored since I do have access to the old database.

At the same time I have upgraded forum software to version 4.1.0 and enabled vBulletin CMS (content management system) - that's the first tab labeled "Front Page". I will describe the CMS in another thread.

Merry
December 6th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Thank you, Edward, for all your hard work to restore what was lost :).

http://www.forcounsel.com/products/2147.jpg

I look forward to hearing more about the upgrade.

stache
December 6th, 2010, 07:18 AM
I don't understand why people want to delete their posts when they leave a board. Let me join Merry in thanking Edward for all his hard work.

Daquan13
December 6th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Will the forum eventually be put back? Can't seem to find it now.

stache
December 6th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Click the 'Community' tab at the top of the page.

Fabrizio
December 6th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Deleting one's own posts is one thing.... but entire threads?

BR already trashed the forum with his ridiculous PMs back in August... so I'm not surprised he did it again on a grander scale. Those PMs were entirely inappropriate. He sounded mostly like someone who was not getting his way.

If he was having trouble with his colleagues, if matters could not be resolved... then be an adult and bow out gracefully.... why deliberately damage someone's hard work?

Ninjahedge
December 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
While I do not agree to his methods, I can see why he wanted to remove himself from the table.

It is a shame, he was a valued member that just got a little too caught up in the politics running behind the curtain. It is a shame he felt that he needed to try and erase his presence on the board.

Thanks for restoring everything Ed, and I am sorry to hear it had to come to that.

Peteynyc1
December 6th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Glad to see the forum back online! Thanks for everything you have done to keep this amazing site on going.

GordonGecko
December 6th, 2010, 10:22 AM
wow awesome job in turning around and putting the shaft on BrooklynRider instead, Bravo. If I could make only one comment, it would be that maybe you should have provided more information on what was going on on that splash screen, but it's all good

ablarc
December 6th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Immoderation is hard to rein in.

HoveringCheesecake
December 6th, 2010, 02:30 PM
I guess I'm out of the loop. Unfortunate that he had to leave that way.

lofter1
December 6th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Immoderation is hard to rein in.

Perhaps this should be a lesson to us all, myself included, to think before we post / act.

Civility is our own personal responsibility.

And Thank You, Edward, for your hard work in trying to get things back in order.

scumonkey
December 6th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Yes- Thank YOU Edward (however it did give me a chance to finally check out you Photo stream...very nice)!

Dr.T
December 6th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Perhaps this should be a lesson to us all, myself included, to think before we post / act.

Civility is our own personal responsibility.

And Thank You, Edward, for your hard work in trying to get things back in order.

+ 1
^^^ Absolutely Lofter1
... and thanks Edward for your hard work again.

mariab
December 6th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Edward, Thank You & hats off, plain & simple.

Travis
December 6th, 2010, 07:34 PM
What in the hell precipitated this action on BrooklynRiders part? Nervous breakdown?

ZenSteelDude
December 6th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Thank you Edward for all your time and hard work.

Common Sense
December 6th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I would also like to add my thanks to all around... as an avid reader for 10+ years and sometime contributer, this would not all be possible without all you guys.

Merry
December 7th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I never, ever expected to see such an ignominious departure:

I'll miss the BR we got to know throughout the TLOZ Link5 Project.

stache
December 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
I'm wondering if he snapped. He was pretty much gone from here anyway.

Ninjahedge
December 7th, 2010, 08:24 AM
He was an independent character, as evidenced by his early posts and confrontations with other people.

But when he was asked to moderate, he reined it in and took a more....moderate stance on most issues.

Problem is, behind the scenes, there was much discord that caused him to just build up a lot of repressed rage.

In his final effort, he sent a mass PM saying "Adiós, I hate these other guys" and then finally tried to remove his presence from the forum entirely.

I can see why he would want to do that, but it is unfortunate he had the ability to do so (as I have, on other forums, erased all my posts on heated threads because I found the direction to be pointless and humiliating after being active much too long). When he started erasing his THREADS is when he crossed the invisible line of acceptable decorum on the internet, as he also removed OTHERS contributions to the forum.

Merry was, I believe, the first to notice his own post count diminishing, and called it to Ed's attention. They found that BR was trying to erase himself. So Ed locked down, restored the forum, and did the only thing he could to stop more... He banned BR.

I am really sad that it happened like this. BR was a valued member here. It is a shame he lost it and started to do this. And I am also glad that no moderators have come out and insulted him. I hope to hear from him now and again somehow, but I hope he has enough time to relax and let it all go.

Thanks Ed for your work, and BR, sorry to see you go man.

stache
December 7th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Yes, me too.

MidtownGuy
December 7th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I appreciate NH's reasoned comments.

Fabrizio
December 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Ninjahedge wrote: "When he started erasing his THREADS is when he crossed the invisible line of acceptable decorum on the internet"

The acceptable/inacceptable line was crossed with the PMs.

dtolman
December 7th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Shame about the whole thing. BR was a great contributor before this mess started.

MidtownGuy
December 7th, 2010, 11:39 AM
regarding PMs...Big freakin' deal unless they contained threats of some sort. I don't pretend to know about any of his private messages.
Some folks, when they're being athholes, deserve to open a PM and be told a few choice words that are not allowed on the public forum. In reality we all swear once in a while at someone who is being disagreeable or provocative, so lets not be babies about a PM or two. The operative word in Private Message is private. If someone sends me a PM I don't like, I stop reading it and delete. Or ignore it altogether. SO what.

BR was a great contributor who is now being demonized for good reasons or maybe not so good reasons; yet I don't know the totality of what happened behind the scenes so I'm not going to sit here and join the lynch mob. Deleting threads, like I said, is not acceptable. Beyond that, I'm not going to sit here and judge. I've met BR in real life and he's an incredible human being.

Edward
December 7th, 2010, 11:50 AM
If I could make only one comment, it would be that maybe you should have provided more information on what was going on on that splash screen, but it's all good
Yes, I should have informed forum members better about what was going on. I did not expect it to take that long though. By Friday afternoon, the backup database was restored, and I thought the forum might be back by Friday night, but then there were complications. At some point I was not certain that the database could be successfully restored, and I did not have a time frame.

lofter1
December 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM
The acceptable/inacceptable line was crossed with the PMs.

That was WNY behind the scenes politics. Sometimes folks have a need to try and clear the air. Shoring up support can be an effective tactic - or not.

If things haven't already been corrected (moderated?) then hopefully this whole sorry episode will compel clarification backstage.

Edward
December 7th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Couple of years ago we used to have another moderator - Punzie. BrooklynRider did not get along with her and at some point spent a night deleting hundreds of her posts. I was patient, did not ban him or removed him from moderating.

This August, he was fighting other moderators and at some point made a post in public forum stating that he does not trust me or moderating staff and calling for a vote of confidence. Again, I was patient, did not remove him from moderating, giving him a chance to cool down and be reasonable. Instead, he spent a night of "misplaced frustration and anger" deleting posts and threads.

It is sad that it came down to this. At his best, he was caring and interesting, so it is hard to reconcile this darker side.

Edward
December 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
And I am also glad that no moderators have come out and insulted him.
That is something that has to be commented on. When BrooklynRider was openly hostile and insulting to other moderators, they remained calm and civil, behaving very professionally.

Ninjahedge
December 7th, 2010, 02:22 PM
I meant in public Ed.......

For the most part, even though BR blew his top, no mods that have had something to complain about have done so.

I wanted to compliment that restraint, as it often the case an issue like this tends to bear bitter fruit even after the harvest is already done.....

stache
December 7th, 2010, 09:04 PM
At his best, he was caring and interesting, so it is hard to reconcile this darker side.

That's just it, his dark side. It's hard for me to understand.

Merry
December 8th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I think we all potentially have a dark side, when pushed far enough. Some people deal with that better than others.

I guess we may never know if BR will regret what he's done, but I just really hope that he doesn't allow what happened to eat away at him, and that he can move on.

I will miss him a lot, but we need to move on too. Hopefully everyone involved will also learn from this.

Fabrizio
December 8th, 2010, 08:00 AM
"Dark side"? It sounds mysterious and kind of cool. Fascinating really.

Back in the old days.... like maybe 10 or 15 years ago.... we'd use a whole other vocabulary. We'd say things like "what an egotistical creep".

Then the person who did the egotisical creepy thing could say: "I'm sorry". And we'd all go have a beer.

But man, this "dark side" thing sounds Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs.

Ninjahedge
December 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM
And so Fab shows us his "dark side" :rolleyes:

Merry
December 8th, 2010, 08:24 AM
^ Again :rolleyes:.

MidtownGuy
December 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Oh man. To hear the term "egotistical creep" uttered by that person about someone else.:rolleyes:

Ninjahedge
December 8th, 2010, 11:27 AM
/me senses the wagons circling.....

Fabrizio
December 8th, 2010, 12:04 PM
So let's see.... we have a forumer with a darkside, and there's the one who is an egotistical creep, and then there's the complete idiot...

MidtownGuy
December 8th, 2010, 12:33 PM
that's right, so don't ever leave that village... the whole place will go looking

Ninjahedge
December 8th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Come now, you aren't all THREE!

Geez! Don't be so hard on yourself!

(lets see how long before this turns into a thread about US Politics! ;) )

Fabrizio
December 8th, 2010, 12:54 PM
(and let's see how long before you grace the forum with one of your tantrums)

Ninjahedge
December 8th, 2010, 01:34 PM
(and let's see how long before you grace the forum with one of your tantrums)

Did I hurt the widdle man's ego?

Are you going to pull up other personal issues I trusted the forum with to try and hurt me?

You are a sad SAD little boy Fab.

Ed, lock this puppy before Fab turns it into another "me" fest.

The point was taken, and aside from him, everyone else is sad that what happened had to happen.

Fabrizio
December 8th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Ninja: I think that everyone here is able to see where things went astray in this thread and those who instigated it. The posts are there for all to read ....and come to their own conclusions.

Furthermore...if you feel free to make a comment like the one in post #41, completely gratuitous.... know that you will get a response.

----

And this:

The point was taken, and aside from him, everyone else is sad that what happened had to happen.

^ More of the same childishness.

If you actually read my post about the term "darkside", it is in favour of BR.

IMHO the term is too harsh and condeming. Darkside connotates "sinister".

My gosh, the guy eliminated threads on an internet site. It's not like he's Dick Cheney or anything.

....ooops sorry for making this about American politics again.

MidtownGuy
December 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
American politics...funny...ha ha...
Well, since you mention the excellent point about your posts again, if anyone here were to find some correlation between BR and Berlusconi, you'd have 3 wikilinks ready to show how BR the American was worse than the Italian version of an "egotistical creep" could ever be.;)

Fabrizio
December 8th, 2010, 05:53 PM
BrooklynRider likes rollercoaster rides. Berlusconi likes wild sex.

I think this one's a toss up.

lofter1
December 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Might as well lock this one up. Although it is an example of the kind of forum games that could drive a person to go cyber crazy and bring down a site for a day or three.

stache
December 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMz_RQuTBlI&feature=related

Merry
December 9th, 2010, 05:03 AM
^ Very apt :).

Merry
December 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I think that everyone here is able to see where things went astray in this thread and those who instigated it.

Umm...well, that would be you, then, Fabrizio :rolleyes:.

Give it a rest, please, at least on this thread. Appreciation in advance.

Fabrizio
December 9th, 2010, 05:21 AM
^ Yes Merry, you are right. And I want to apologise to the forum.

I want to apologise for my post #37 where I started all of this by saying, "Oh man. To hear the term "egotistical creep" uttered by that person about someone else."

I know, I know... I said it without prompting... out of the blue to cause trouble... I know it was offensive, but hey, that's the way I am.

(I guess I should now post one of those rolly-eyed things ...but they're against my aesthetic sensibilities)

----

Going back to my "darkside" post (#34): one thing interesting (at least for me) is the subject of etemology and pop terms.

From what I can surmise, "darkside" a term which we do hear applied in various ways, entered popular culture with the film StarWars:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_side_(Star_Wars)

Ninjahedge
December 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
WOOOOOO!

50 replies, and the thread about the forum being down has now gone into Why Fabrizio wears Penny Loafers!!!!!!

:eek:

stache
December 9th, 2010, 08:10 AM
It's Fab's planet. We just live here. :p

MidtownGuy
December 9th, 2010, 05:31 PM
^LOL

^ Yes Merry, you are right. And I want to apologise to the forum.

I want to apologise for my post #37 where I started all of this by saying, "Oh man. To hear the term "egotistical creep" uttered by that person about someone else."

I know, I know... I said it without prompting... out of the blue to cause trouble... I know it was offensive, but hey, that's the way I am.

(I guess I should now post one of those rolly-eyed things ...but they're against my aesthetic sensibilities)

----
:rolleyes:Personally, I think teeny weeny type looks contrived and idiotic. To each his own.

Remember you are the one who made the initial inflammatory post by throwing out "egotistical creep" about BR who is probably reading this, though he may be banned. That IS offensive. Others agreed. That I remarked on the irony of it seems deserved considering your history here. The term "dark side", initially used by Edward and remarked upon by other members, is fitting and well chosen, because none of us are pure.

If you want to act a certain way on this forum, you will "get a response" as you told another member here. Now you'll make the thread about the use of dark side. My God. Lofter is right. Just lock the thread already.

Fabrizio
December 9th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Merry and I had a very pleasant exchange about this via PM.

A difference of opinion (actually more one of a difference in interpretation) but a warm and civil conversation of respect between us.

IMHO describing BR has having a "darkside" is damning. Rather over the top.

Darkside connotes "sinister", "evil" ....and I don't believe BR merits that.

I criticise his actions.... not his soul.

MidtownGuy
December 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Alrighty then. Must be a language barrier. "Egotistical creep" sounds extreme to native English speakers, while 'dark side' I think for most of us is not seen in some damning Dantesque context. Soul? Come on. Maybe your more colorful comments would be better understood/received on an Italian forum?

Fabrizio
December 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Yo BR.... come to the the Dark Side.... we have cannoli.

MidtownGuy
December 9th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Now you've got it. Dark side is forgivable...we all have one. Being an egotistical creep...not so much.

Fabrizio
December 9th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Lets see.... who would I want to spend a day at the beach with?

A beach full of egotistical creeps sounds pretty much par for the course.

But a beach full of people with a dark side?

MidtownGuy
December 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM
It's incredible. At this point I can only laugh. Really.

Now you'll make the thread about the use of dark side. You win. Dark side it is. Maybe you should go have that connoli now to celebrate.:rolleyes:

Merry
December 10th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Star Wars has a lot to answer for :D! But didn't Darth Vader achieve redemption in the end (I can't remember)?

"Dark side" has become a generic, all-purpose term pertaining to many things, often in jest.

I don't think having a so-called dark side necessarily equates to being evil or sinister, and it's often not a permanent or constant state. Most of us have been there.

Perhaps it can just be more challenging to those who prefer the status quo.

Anyway, back to the subject, if you're reading this BR, I hope you get a damn good laugh out of it :). All the best.

Ninjahedge
December 10th, 2010, 08:48 AM
^beat me to the SW association.

100%

"Dark side" is also known as the side that nobody sees, as in "the dark side of the moon" (which is not 100% correct because I believe we simpley do not see the "other side" of the moon because of its synchronised orbit and revolution, but we see it's dark side for half the month.......) I am not sure Pink Floyd coined that phrase, but it became a common phraseafter their album.

Anyway, enough said. Lock this puppy Ed.

PLEASE!

Fabrizio
December 10th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Yes BR...if you are tuning in, I just want you to know that I thought you were just a run-of-the-mill egotistical creep. And I should know about the subject, I'm writing from Italy.

But instead, they tell me you have a Dark Side.

When I heard that, a chill went down my spine and bat flew through the window.

But I won't let it get in the way of the nice times we had, the PM exchanges, the fun posts, your witty comments...and thanks for the nice words about my work that I sent you.

If you are ever in town, send me a PM here at WiredNY....er... I mean, send me an e-mail.

(You are only one of 2 here that I have ever given it to, the other one being that Nigerian guy selling Powerbooks).

Anyway as I said, If you are ever in town look me up. I'll be here to greet you. With a string of garlic around my neck.

( no really BR, all kidding aside: when they told me you had a dark side, I must admit... I found the whole idea pretty hot.)

MidtownGuy
December 10th, 2010, 11:01 AM
After the flippant "egotistical creep" remark, you probably shouldn't hold your breath waiting for the doorbell to ring.

Ninjahedge
December 10th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Fab, I have learned not to read your posts after you get into a set of flippant or hurtful comments. You may have said something important and meaningful here and I apologize for not reading it, but I have learned from my mistakes and do not wish to turn this into a personal confrontation with you.....again.

Just start a new thread. Just like the Wiki Leaks thread. When you post substance, you come up with some good stuff.

I will leave it at that. As should the rest of us.

stache
December 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
He's much better on /ignore.

ZippyTheChimp
December 11th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I think everyone is now aware of "why the forum was down."

This thread no longer serves any purpose.