PDA

View Full Version : Pop-ups

ablarc
December 24th, 2010, 04:36 PM
It sure doesn't take long to get sick of Noel Coward popping up on the WNY screen.

What gives?

lofter1
December 24th, 2010, 09:43 PM
He hasn't visited me yet. Where do you see him?

ablarc
December 25th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Right now he's spread across the top; sometimes he's a big reactangle on he right crowding all else ... or sometimes, Doctor, after all that I've seen ... you're going to try to convince me I'm insane. ;)

Fabrizio
December 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I'd rather have Sir NoŽl Coward around than the stuff see from over here in Italy.

(And since NoŽl means Christmas in French, at least he's season-appropriate.)

It seems that WNY is on a web-ad circuit and we see ads eminating from where we are on-line.

I image the NoŽl Coward thing is an ad for Brief Encounter at the Roundabout?

---

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/ronaldo/Immagine20.jpg

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
It sure doesn't take long to get sick of Noel Coward popping up on the WNY screen.

What gives?

I only see ads with both the following enabled:
goodleadservices.com
doubleclick.net

But that's only when not logged in. When logged in , don't see any ads.

Edward
December 28th, 2010, 11:07 AM
The ads are shown only to visitors who are not logged in. Logged in members will not see the ads. ablarc, there might be an issue with your browser setup, where either cookies are not saved or getting expired after a short time.

In terms of what ads are getting displayed, Google network displays customized ads for each person. It was even in New York Times recently, people getting spooked when after visiting one shopping site, for example, there are getting stalked by ads for that product on every other site they visit.

ZippyTheChimp
December 28th, 2010, 11:16 AM
In terms of what ads are getting displayed, Google network displays customized ads for each person. It was even in New York Times recently, people getting spooked when after visiting one shopping site, for example, there are getting stalked by ads for that product on every other site they visit.Geez, I can see what's coming.

Text ads to your cellphone. The network knows the location of your phone. You walk by 34th St and 7th Ave, and get a Macy's ad on your phone.

ablarc
December 28th, 2010, 11:49 AM
When logged in , don't see any ads.
Always logged in when I'm on WNY.

The ads are shown only to visitors who are not logged in. Logged in members will not see the ads. ablarc, there might be an issue with your browser setup, where either cookies are not saved or getting expired after a short time.
That must be it, because I have to log in manually every time. How do I fix this?

lofter1
December 28th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I was recently googling for info on Converse tennis shoes. Now, wherever I surf about, a little box tells me about what styles Converse has to offer.

Merry
December 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM
Yikes! I was wondering why I was getting popup ads all over the place (but not here :)). I was too annoyed to notice what they were. It's either popups or embedded video ads that don't start immediately, and then the full-blast sound suddenly starts and scares you half to death!!
No ads on iPhone so far http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/f/fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif.

Someone needs to build an almighty video ad/popup blocker asap. The existing ones only go so far. But then they'll just get more devious, won't they? All this misspent cleverness going in an endless spiral spiral spiral....

http://image.spreadshirt.net/image-server/image/composition/16788244/view/1/producttypecolor/71/type/png/width/280/height/280/spiral-eyed-smiley-face_design.png