PDA

View Full Version : Parking "dibs".

Ninjahedge
January 31st, 2011, 08:09 AM
OK, a general question to the opinion of many on this subject.

After driving through Queens and seeing trash cans, chairs and even empty appliance boxes "saving" spots along the roadside, I have to ask:

Is this right?

I can understand people's feelings on this. They dug their car out, they should have some sort of compensation for their hard work. But here's the catch, how long should you be "entitled" to that saved spot? 10 minutes? An hour? All night? If you cleaned out a spot to get your car IN, and you need to go get it after you were done, I believe you are 100% in the right to put some stuff there to save the spot while you get your car, but digging your car out and expecting to get it back when you come home 8 hours later?

There are also some other special cases, like handicapped zones and pregnant women, but those are not the common ones in many of these situations.

I feel that people are starting to feel a bit to entitled. Like somehow that strip of public roadway is theirs because they dug their car out. Problems I have with it are simple.

1. It is a PUBLIC ROAD.
2. If you did not HAVE a car parked there in the first place, you would not have had to dig it out. Cars are a priveledge and a (sometimes necessary) luxury, not a right.
3. You have a garbage can in the spot all night? You mean that nobody can park there because you will need it later? What a waste of space!!!!

But that is my opinion.

What are your views on this?

stache
January 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Not only is the parking space not theirs, the sidewalk is not theirs either. Years ago in L.A. I lived next door to a church that had AA meetings twice a week. In spite of the church having their own lot, AA would haul out a home made sign in a concrete tub that said 'Reserved for speaker" and stick it in a space right in front of my apartment. So when I got home from work I would just plop the sign on the sidewalk and park there. If the speaker got there first I would have not cared, but I don't think that ever happened. No one ever said anything to me, which is a good thing lol.

BBMW
January 31st, 2011, 04:41 PM
Ninja,

While I agree with you, if you take someone's marked spot, you may not like what happens to your car.

lofter1
January 31st, 2011, 05:07 PM
Thuggish and completely uncivil behavior by parkers.

Ninjahedge
February 1st, 2011, 08:16 AM
BBMW, I am aware of that.

But does it make it right for them to claim land that does not belong to them as their own?

BBMW
February 1st, 2011, 10:50 AM
^
No. But does it matter at that point? This is "street justice", pure and simple.

BTW, from what I hear, Boston is the capital of this behavior.

Ninjahedge
February 1st, 2011, 11:09 AM
IOW, I did not ASK about that BBMW.

I am quite aware of what people can do, and what can be done to them if they were to do so. But I was not discussing "what would happen to my car if I parked there".

Only the first 4 characters of your response was needed:

^
No.

ZippyTheChimp
February 1st, 2011, 01:43 PM
It is even more stupid for someone to vandalize a car in front of his house than it is for someone else to park in his 'reserved' spot.

You don't know who drove that car, and may regret that he knows where you live.

stache
February 1st, 2011, 07:04 PM
Yep.

lofter1
February 1st, 2011, 07:19 PM
Plus you announce, by the vandalization, where you (usually) park your car. That makes you an easy mark for retaliation.

Ninjahedge
February 2nd, 2011, 08:54 AM
I would be the unlucky one that would get the guy that was retalliating to come back and hit my car AFTER the saver removed the blocking object!

:(