PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Spam Posts

ZippyTheChimp
May 10th, 2011, 07:06 PM
Don't respond to spam.

Especially if there are multiple posts.

There's a Report Post icon at the bottom. It generates an email to each moderator, with a link to the post. If the spammer opens several threads, we can bring up a screen that shows all posts, select them all, and move or delete them in one step.

However, this will leave your response as post #1 in a thread that makes no sense. If you do it in an existing thread, you've called the person above the spam post an idiot.

We have to hunt these down one at a time.

Thanks to those who already report spam posts. To the rest, please curb your creative instincts; you're pissing me off.

lofter1
May 10th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I do not see a "Report Post" button :confused:

lofter1
May 10th, 2011, 11:27 PM
Never mind. It's that little triangular icon next to "Blog this Post"

Only took me a few thousand posts to figure that out. :o

Ninjahedge
May 11th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Well noted Zip.

Feel free to delete any direct responses we may give on any thread that is later edited. I try to do one or the otehr when reporting posts (latest example is a Necro-bump and then a link posted by a relatively new member).

The Necro-bump could have been a mistake, but the other post I sent an alert about w/o a reply.

I am sorry if i have caused you any unnecessary angst/stress as a mod with these posts or alerts........

stache
May 30th, 2012, 10:12 PM
We're getting more spam lately.

Abigail531
May 31st, 2012, 04:38 AM
I am very enjoyed for this blog. I was searching some information.SPAM The post is written in very a good manner and it contains much useful information for me. This is a really good read for me. Good luck to the author! all the best!SPAM.

ZippyTheChimp
May 31st, 2012, 07:17 AM
^
I just had to leave this.

Ninjahedge
May 31st, 2012, 08:48 AM
It reads so REAL!

lional143
June 2nd, 2012, 01:47 AM
Hi Guys.

I will be visiting England and some other places in the UK for a few months come early September. Would it be possible if someone could provide me a reliable website where I can find cheap rooming/place to rent for a few months? I am still researching at the moment but am having trouble deciding which city to stay in.

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your help. :)

stache
June 2nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Why not leave your options open and stay at hostels until you decide where you want to remain?

ZippyTheChimp
June 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Spam Tutorial: See moved posts #9 and #10.

ZippyTheChimp
June 4th, 2012, 09:10 AM
ID names that are uncommon followed by several numbers are used by spammers to assure that when they register repeatedly on many sites, the ID won't be rejected as already in use. One ID is used in a cycle, and then a new one is chosen and the same sites are re-visited with a new ID.

This poster said he is visiting the UK. So why is asking on a New York forum? Because he is probably doing this all day on many sites, and lost track of what site he was on.

You can sometimes find out if it's spam by Googling the ID and forum profile. Lional143 forum profile got pages of results (https://www.google.com/search?q=lional143+forum+profile&hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&rlz=1B3GGLL_enUS425US426&prmd=imvns&ei=4azMT4fkO8Tj0QHW-cGvCg&start=10&sa=N&sei=TrLMT4i-JarG6gH429z_Dw&gbv=2). A lot of them are on travel forums. In one, he is visiting Ottowa. At some point, a new ID will show up and "answer" the question with a link.

The poster is in Sri Lanka. I wonder how much they pay these people.

stache
June 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I thought it was a little weird but he posted it in the travel section.

Ninjahedge
June 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I just wonder what they need with a link... It did not seem to fit with the usual trolling (although the post itself seemed...off).

ZippyTheChimp
June 4th, 2012, 11:44 AM
The link is the object. Nothing else matters.

hbcat
June 13th, 2012, 09:06 AM
What if the forum installed a gizmo that required a waiting period between registering for an account and posting? An hour or two might cut down on a large percentage of the bogus posts. Longer than a couple of hours might discourage sincere inquiries though.

Maybe all posts by new members could be moderated for a day -- i.e, passed before the eyes of a mod before being posted? Would that be too much hassle for you guys?

Just thinking aloud here...

ZippyTheChimp
June 13th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Edward can better answer this, but there are already gizmos in place that reduce spam posts.

We used to get a flood of spam posts by machine-registration; that has been eliminated by a procedure that requires a human response. Of course, people are paid to just do this all day. We could make it more time consuming to gain posting privileges, but that would also eliminate people who just stop by to ask or answer a question.

There is also VBulletin software that filters new-member posts for spam. Some get through; I assume it's set for light filtering, or every post with a link would get blocked. Only moderators see these posts, and we delete them, usually a few every day. It works well in blocking multiple posts; those that get through don't have links - like those shoe or cellphone ads. But that type of spam has fallen out of use because it's not really effective.

The spam of choice now is backlink spam (http://www.spamerator.com/what_is_backlink_spam.php). We get this constantly, but at least on this forum, it's mostly harmless. Links are placed on member profiles. I brought this up to Edward, and he disabled visitor messages (spammers were sending themselves messages). They sometimes leave a Flickr url that points to another site, but it's useless because new members must have 10 posts before their profile appears on the members page. Most of them realize the problem and just move on, but a few might attempt to post.

Time is money, and the example I gave above is rare. There are plenty of unmoderated or lightly moderated places on the web.

Edward
June 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
We do make it difficult for spammers to post, starting with registration. Then, new posts go through Akismet service, and if found suspicious, will not appear until approved by a moderator.

So the system in place is very effective in filtering spam, but the number of spammers trying to register and post is just huge, so something inevitably comes through.

And the spammers are always adapting. Placing a waiting period will not help, because they will wait. They can make first easy posts, something like "It is great to join this forum". Are we going to ban based on this? In the end, we do not want to make it too difficult for normal people to post.

mariab
July 19th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Kitchen Units Nottingham
jangkrikbalap

I don't know if this is spam but it was in my inbox and I won't open it. Does it look familiar mods/admin? Top is subject, bottom is username.

ZippyTheChimp
July 19th, 2012, 09:41 PM
The sender made a couple of spammy posts, and was banned. Evidently, he was also going through the member list and sending PMs before he was banned. You can just delete the message.

mariab
July 21st, 2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks

IrishInNYC
January 15th, 2015, 10:02 AM
A "Vladimir" from the Ukraine PMed me looking for funds to rescue him from the war!! I'm so tempted to help him!:p

mariab
January 15th, 2015, 09:09 PM
Tell him the check is in the mail.:D

IrishInNYC
March 16th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Is the forum in danger of being overrun by these spam 'albums'? Any time I look at what's new there must be a dozen new spam posts.