PDA

View Full Version : Visiting NYC from Italy: interested in Brooklyn...

Renato
May 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hello,
I'm about to go to the amazing NYC and I'd love to visit Brooklyn.
Could you please suggest me an interesting itinerary?
Let me remind you that I have three children and I'm not interested in seedy, gritty areas :o.
What about DUMBO, Brooklyn Heights, DownTown Brooklyn, Park Slope, Prospect Heights, Fort Greene and BoCoCa?
Is it possible to move around those suburbs just walking and avoiding bad areas?
Many regards.

Renato
May 28th, 2011, 03:53 AM
No suggestions?

ZippyTheChimp
May 28th, 2011, 11:13 AM
All of these areas are safe.

Give us some more info.

How long is your visit? One day trip to Brooklyn. I'd eliminate Park Slope. It has a large concentration of typical Brooklyn brownstone residences, but it's a large area, and furthest away. You can get the same experience in one of the other neighborhoods, especially Brooklyn Heights.

Where will you be staying?

What are you interested in seeing?

Are your children very young? Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is a popular route, but it's about a mile, and kids might balk at walking around after that. Consider the subway.

No one here says BoCoCa except real estate real estate agents. :)

Renato
May 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM
All of these areas are safe.
How long is your visit? One day trip to Brooklyn. I'd eliminate Park Slope. It has a large concentration of typical Brooklyn brownstone residences, but it's a large area, and furthest away. You can get the same experience in one of the other neighborhoods, especially Brooklyn Heights

Thanks Zippy.
Well, I stay in NYC for ten days: I think I'll devote even two days to Brooklyn...
As a matter of fact, I'm really interested in Park Slope; several americans told me that it's one of USA's finest neighbourhoods... and it's also close to Prospect Park.
It must worth a trip.
As far as Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill and Cobble Hill are concerned, do Court Street and Smith Street worth a visit?
Or are there more interesting streets?
What about Fort Greene?
Does it have a beautiful and vibrant main street?
Thanks for your helping :-) :-)

ZippyTheChimp
May 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM
With two days, you can spend time in Park Slope. Take the #2, #3 (RED), or #4 (GREEN) subway to the Grand Army Plaza station. As you walk south through the plaza toward the arch and Prospect Park, the wide boulevard on your left is Eastern Parkway. The Brooklyn Museum and Brooklyn Botanic Garden are a few hundred meters down this street.

To your right is Prospect Park West and the Park Slope neighborhood. Don't miss Carroll St and Montgomery Pl near the park. If you need a meal, 7th Avenue is a commercial street. also 5th Ave further down the Slope.

You can visit Brooklyn Heights and DUMBO in one day. They are very different neighborhoods. Brooklyn Heights has always been mostly residential. DUMBO was a warehouse district that was mostly abandoned, and the buildings have been converting to residential over the last decade or so.

Both neighborhoods offer great views of the harbor and Manhattan.

From the Brooklyn Heights promenade, you get a good view of the brand new Brooklyn Bridge Park.

You can take the A (BLUE) subway to High St.

There are several surviving wood clapboard houses on Middagh St (northern part of Brooklyn Heights). As you move south, the houses get more expensive. Montague St is the commercial street, and a good place for a meal.

East on Montague St takes you to Columbus Park, and Brooklyn Borough Hall, and Court St. Court and Smith Sts are always busy.

Renato
May 29th, 2011, 04:36 AM

Maraike
August 4th, 2011, 12:54 PM
When do you exactly go?

Maraike
August 4th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Hey Renato, when do you go? Nyc is amazing. You should definatly go to the statue of liberty. If its possible, go on top to the crown. You should get a sightseeing pass for all new york city attractions (http://www.newyorkpass.com/index_attractions.aspx)cause it saves you loads of money. <br>