PDA

View Full Version : Info On Old Buildings

IrishInNYC
July 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
One of my more tedious, yet irresistible, hobbies is researching my family tree, specifically chasing down leads on members who moved to the US from Ireland. I am wondering how do I research the history of old buildings in the city. For instance, I have tracked some great-grand uncles and aunts to 286 Alexander Ave in Mott Haven in the Bronx. They lived there in 1903. From the look of the buildings today, they may be the same ones that were there in 1903. Perhaps not.

Is there a way to find out any of the history on such random addresses? DOB etc?

lofter1
July 18th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Check out the Municipal Archives (http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/about/archives.shtml) in the great Surrogates Court Building at 31 Chambers (at Centre Street).

ZippyTheChimp
July 18th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Another resource:

For instance, I have tracked some great-grand uncles and aunts to 286 Alexander Ave in Mott Haven in the Bronx. They lived there in 1903. From the look of the buildings today, they may be the same ones that were there in 1903. Perhaps not.

Is there a way to find out any of the history on such random addresses? DOB etc?If you're lucky, the building is within a historic district. All property has to be researched and a designation report prepared. you can find most of them by searching the database.

286 Alexander Ave is within the [url=http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/db/bb_files/MOTT-HAVEN-HD.pdf]Mott Haven Historic District (]Neighborhood Preservation Center[/url). The district was designated in 1969, and the early reports aren't as detailed as the later ones, but it does describe 276-294 Alexander Ave as a"row of ten three-story brick houses is one of the earliest, if not the earliest, row houses built in the Bronx. They were built between 1863 and 1865..."

IrishInNYC
July 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys. Pretty amazing, looks like it's the same building that my ancestors would have walked up to 110 years ago.