January 1st, 2003, 09:20 AM
Well, not quite.

http://www.didik.com/nycinpictures

Just Rich
January 1st, 2003, 03:22 PM
WOW!! *Thanks for the link.

RovingRube
January 2nd, 2003, 03:37 PM
Is this ONE guy, Frank Didik, behind all this? *He must never sleep!

There was a site, DizzyCity.com, which had a virtual New York -- you could stand on any street corner and spin round to see everything (like with popular real estate software). * The problem was that it would eventually make you dizzy, wasn't that great with a dial-up connection, and the bandwidth charges probably killed it. *I always thought they should have released it on CD, like Mr. Didik has thought to do.

There was another project at PS1 a few years ago where the artist was attempting to do the same thing with a regular camera, drugstore developing -- it was partially completed at that time and the photos were stored in a library card catalog. *I wonder if he continued it *or maybe he felt the concept was enough.

Mr. Didik also has an interesting 3-D section on his site:

http://www.didik.com/d3d.htm

I wish they would hurry up and invent a 3-D digital camera, based on the same principal as the old "stereopticons" -- the images would appear side by side on your computer screen and you could get an attachment for the monitor to view them -- not like those red and blue sunglasses, but like the old ViewMasters ....

Eugenius
January 2nd, 2003, 10:12 PM
Damn!
That guy wasn't kidding when he said "every building!"
This is a treasure trove.

amigo32
January 2nd, 2003, 10:22 PM
Excellent link! *Once again you outdo yourself christian.

Zoe
January 2nd, 2003, 11:25 PM
DizzyCity was a fantastic web site, one of the best that has ever been created. *It was a real loss to loose all of that data and those images.

Hof
January 30th, 2003, 08:10 PM
What a great way to pass the time,photographing the whole City.
How about next,he follows up with-- "Everybody in New York"?,or "All the Taxis of New York"?
Another good topic--"All the Gum on Broadway".Or,"New York's Whores".--"The Phone Directory-2003".
"Steam".
But,to be serious for a moment,I think it's a great idea,and I sort of envy the guy doing this.It must be a lot of fun.
Now I'm not serious anymore.

Orik
February 1st, 2003, 11:19 AM
Dizzycity has been down since 9/11/01. Their servers were near the WTC. See here:
http://www.kylisworks.com/ipix.html

bitnink
February 6th, 2003, 11:49 PM
wish i had the time for that one... crazy link! thanks!

Jessica
February 7th, 2003, 03:18 PM
AWESOME website! *It is almost unbelievable! *Thanks so much for sharing the link with all of *us!!! *:)

Zoe
February 7th, 2003, 04:37 PM
That link is only a taste of what used to be on that site. *They had that iPIX camera done on nearly every block in Manhattan. *Also, when you selected a corner it gave you information on every store on that block, a digital photograph of each store front complete with phone number and office hours. *It also had a section on history/notible events that happened on each corner. *Again, truely a loss. *Thanks for the update on what happened to it!

CMANDALA
February 7th, 2003, 07:12 PM
I sent an email to Mr. Didik and received an automated response that he is too busy to talk to anybody. Great way to do business.

Kris
February 8th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Zoe, I don't think that site bears any relation to the defunct DizzyCity.