PDA

View Full Version : Age Restrictions

Joey
April 22nd, 2003, 01:31 PM
Hi, I am from England and I plan to travel to New York City in the winter (Around Christmas). However I will only be 18 years old when I depart and therefore I'm unsure whether I'd be able to stay in a hotel at that age. What is the minimum age limit to stay alone in a New York city hotel... I'm very much interested in the Grand Hyatt on 42nd street.

I have been to NYC before, last Summer and I could only stay for one day as I was unable to get a room being 17.

Thanks in advance. :)

Schadenfrau
April 22nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
You should have no problem at eighteen.

Joey
April 22nd, 2003, 01:48 PM
Do I need to have a Credit Card though, Visa?

dbhstockton
April 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
Be ready to leave a cash deposit if you don't have a credit card.

Joey
April 24th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Also concerning age restrictions, do you have to be 21 to watch any of the "Tonight" shows etc. This is what I heard.

Thanks

dbhstockton
April 24th, 2003, 11:45 AM
I saw the Conan Obrien show when I was 19, but I was with older people.

Joey
May 3rd, 2003, 10:04 PM
I have looked around hundreds of sites and now I'm really confused. Different sites say different things... Either that 18 is the minimum check-in age or that 21 is! :o

I have made my plan (Or at least the one in which I hope to do)

I want to stay at the Grand Hyatt next to the Chrysler building for 2 nights and then 3 nights in The Plaza... But I cannot find anyone or any website that will confirm that I can stay or that I'm too young... Please help. :)

Schadenfrau
May 5th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Could you just phone the hotels and ask?

Joey
May 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Well I live in England and the cost of ringing New York would be a little bit on the massive side. I have e-mailed them plenty of times and I'm yet to receive a reply.

billyblancoNYC
May 6th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Give the places you want to contact and I'll give them a call for you - if I have the time (so not too many, damnit).

Joey
May 6th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Well Thank you very much. The hotels are.

Grand Hyatt
The Plaza

Thanks again. :)

AJphx
May 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM
18 appears to be the highest restriction... not 21.

The Late Show with David Letterman is 18. *Here is the info on getting tickets -
http://www.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/show_info/ls_show_info_info_ticket.shtml

Late Night with Conan O'Brien & Saturday Night Live are both 16 and up. Here is info for both. Phone only. http://www.nbc.com/nbc/footer/Tickets.shtml

it looks like you will need to request tickets months in advance or ASAP. *The ones I listed are the major 'tonight' shows in New York. * Here is another link with info.
http://www.studioaudiences.com/latenight/

there you go, hope that helps unless you found out already.

Joey
May 7th, 2003, 09:53 AM
Thanks a lot for the links AJphx that's made me much happier :)

However I am still perplexed over the Hotel situation as I am still getting mixed opinions and answers, and I don't know who to trust. I certainly don't want to travel all the way over to New York to discover infact my hotel reservation is invalid because of my age.

billyblancoNYC
May 7th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Ok,

18 is old enough for both.

The Plaza requires a major credit card (Visa, MC, AMEX, etc) to hold the room, at least.

The Hyatt requires $50 per night cash deposit, and it must be sent by 7 days in advance to reserve the room. *You can simply reserve the room with credit and pay with cash, even if it is reserved with someone else's credit card.

Hope this helps. *Good luck.

Bill

Joey
May 7th, 2003, 11:23 AM
Top Man.... Thanks very much BillyblancoNYC. That's perfect!

Does this mean I can reserve rooms in both hotels with say... My parents credit card and when I turn 18 use my own credit card to sign in and pay?

Thanks again :)

Schadenfrau
May 7th, 2003, 12:26 PM
I'm sorry to interject, but it really seems you should just call these places and clear it up. If you can afford to stay at the Plaza, a two minute telephone call shouldn't be too much trouble.

billyblancoNYC
May 7th, 2003, 01:34 PM
You can use any credit card you please at the Hyatt. *It seems the same is true at the Plaza as well. *This is what I was told, so I hoep that it's accurate.

Glad I could help.

Doz
June 25th, 2003, 09:45 PM
does anyone know a hotel with 18 check-in thats about 100-150, but still a decent hotel? im having a hard time finding one. thanks for any help

Fletch52
August 29th, 2003, 05:24 PM
The age minimum for Conan is 16 but you have to get tickets months in advance.

Freedom Tower
August 30th, 2003, 01:20 PM
Hey, I knew he wouldn't have a problem getting into the Plaza. If Home Alone 2 is correct even a 10 year old can get in ;)