PDA

View Full Version : Spots in NYC for Photography

AlphaGemini
May 12th, 2003, 07:52 PM
First off id like to introduce myself: Im 14 and i live in NC near Charlotte. I share an interest in photography (great photos on the site!) and big cities. I plan to combine those in a career of photography.
Ive never been to NYC but plan to make the trip in the near future.

So i was wondering what the best spots in NYC are for photography.

Thanks and nice to meet you.

TLOZ Link5
May 12th, 2003, 08:24 PM
If you're in the mood for skyline photos, I'd recommend the Great Lawn in Central Park. *You can see most of the major midtown skyscrapers from there; there's not really a "best view" from there, so I'd recommend walking around until you find a place that you like.

For Downtown photos, the Brooklyn Promenade isn't a bad bet. *The view is spectacular, in my opinion.

AlphaGemini
May 12th, 2003, 08:29 PM
i figured Central Park and Times Square would be good but i thought id just check for personal experiences

phxmania2001
May 12th, 2003, 08:49 PM
Almost anywhere.

One thing that I've found is the tangled streets of the Financial District can make for some very interesting shots.

ZippyTheChimp
May 12th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Yes, anywhere.

The Staten Island Ferry (it's free). good view of lower Manhattan from the south, runs close to Statue of Liberty.

Good view from New Jersey, Weehawken for midtown, Jersey City for downtown.

Various bridges have walkways.

Just walking the streets with a camera, the unexpected, which I like.
I got this one on a Sunday just walking down 6th ave.

http://www.pbase.com/image/14636419.jpg

AlphaGemini
May 12th, 2003, 10:05 PM
nice! I wish i had a scanner or a good digi cam :(

Eugenius
May 13th, 2003, 06:51 PM
From Central Park, the best view can be seen from the northern edge of Sheep Meadow. *Also good, but further away, is the northern edge of the Reservoir.

Interesting vistas can be seen down Lexington Ave looking south from the 60's, where Citicorp and Chrysler line up nicely.

A view down Park Ave can be pretty cool looking south from the mid 60's or north from the 30's.

TLOZ Link5
May 15th, 2003, 10:00 PM
On the elevated 7 Train, you can get an amazing view of Midtown for a good long while when the train turns south to enter Vernon-Jackson Boulevard station.

Edward
May 16th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Generally speaking, almost any place in New York is a good spot for photography. You can find a place for any type of scene you desire.

For wide-angle skyline shots you have to be far from skyscrapers to get a good picture; in New Jersey, on the other side of the Hudson river - Weehawken, Jersey City (as Zippy mentioned), Liberty State Park; or on the other side of the East River - Queens West, Roosevelt Island, Williamsburg, Fulton Ferry State Park, Brooklyn Promenade, even Red Hook.

Taking a ferry presents many opportunities; in addition to Staten Island Ferry you can take sightseeing cruise around Manhattan on NY Waterway or Circle Line boat. Many bridges have pedestrian walkways, you can get spectacular shots from Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan Bridge and Williamsburg Bridge, you can also try Queensborough Bridge, George Washington Bridge or some of the Harlem River Bridges.

Empire State Building observatory is a must. Times Square is especially interesting in night time. *

ZippyTheChimp
May 16th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Also Queensboro Bridge walkway - good views up the East River, the Triboro. I wish the south walkway was open, that would be spectacular.

dbhstockton
May 16th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Many great spots in NJ for skyline photography-- try Hoboken or Liberty State Park in Jersey City. *Get there from Manhattan via the PATH or NY Waterway ferries.