PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Brooklyn?

NYguy
July 22nd, 2003, 01:10 PM
NY Post...

BROOKLYN ROAD SIGNS GET SOME ATTITUDE

July 22, 2003 -- Don't ever get outta here, says Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.

He's asked the city Department of Transportation to install at some of the borough's major exit points signs that say: "Leaving Brooklyn . . . Fugheddaboudit."

"Once you enter Brooklyn, there's no good reason why you should ever leave," said Markowitz.

But if nobody ever left, Brooklyn would have a huge demographic problem - some say that one in four Americans has roots in the borough.

Walt Whitman, maybe the 19th century's most famous Brooklynite, left, moved back, then eventually left for good - he died in Camden, N.J.

Also famed for leaving Brooklyn are the Dodgers, who are probably gone forever, and TV's Mr. Kotter, who was welcomed back.

Markowitz's signs should be up by the end of the week. *

They'll appear on the Gowanus Expressway and Belt Parkway approaches to the Verrazano Narrows Bridge and on the Belt Parkway and the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway near the Queens border.

Gulcrapek
July 22nd, 2003, 01:14 PM
How about no?

The welcome signs were enough.

TLOZ Link5
July 22nd, 2003, 06:48 PM
I, for one, like them. *I think they're a scream.

Gulcrapek
July 22nd, 2003, 10:55 PM
After a while, say, one week, they get lame.

Kris
July 22nd, 2003, 11:03 PM
Too clichéd.

muscle1313
July 22nd, 2003, 11:11 PM
Love it!

billyblancoNYC
July 23rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Nothing wrong with a little corniness now and again. It adds a little life to otherwise bland things.

Jack Ryan
August 1st, 2003, 11:05 PM
What? No picture of William Bendix wearing a WWII helmet??

Kris
February 28th, 2004, 09:43 PM
February 29, 2004

BROOKLYN UP CLOSE

Last Exit to Brooklyn, Brought to You by Marty

By TARA BAHRAMPOUR

Marty Markowitz, the Brooklyn borough president, is known for his wild ideas, but the latest one came in a roundabout way. Pleased with the "Welcome to Brooklyn" signs he posted on city bridges, bearing slogans like "How Sweet It Is" and "Believe the Hype," he decided to post similarly quirky signs at the entrance to the upper and lower levels of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge: "Leaving Brooklyn/Fuhgeddaboudit!"

Most constituents liked them, Mr. Markowitz said. But one resident called to complain that the signs were anti-Italian.

Mr. Markowitz's response? "I said, 'Listen, way before 'The Sopranos' were on, we in Brooklyn said 'Fuhgeddaboudit.' The man said: 'You're Jewish, Mr. Markowitz. How would you like a sign that says, 'Leaving Brooklyn, oy vey?' I said: 'What a great idea. Thank you.' ''

But when Mr. Markowitz proposed the "oy vey'' idea for the Manhattan-bound side of the Williamsburg Bridge, the city's Department of Transportation told him the signs were unnecessary and distracting.

"Although we applaud the borough president's creative side, we don't think this is the best use of space on our bridges and roads," said Iris Weinshall, the city's transportation commissioner.

Although her agency rules on proposals for signs, it adheres to the policies of the Federal Highway Administration, which oversees most of the city's bridges and roadways. Those policies, Ms. Weinshall said, mandate that roadway signs must offer useful information. " 'Oy vey' doesn't give you information," she said.

Apparently, the Federal Highway Administration didn't love the cute comments on the "Welcome to Brooklyn" signs either. "They said, 'We're not going to make you take them down now, but please don't put signs like this up again,' '' she said.

Because the Verrazano Bridge is overseen by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, not the federal government, it is not subject to the same restrictions. But Ms. Weinshall said she found the "Fuhgeddaboudit'' signs distracting there also.

Studies have not yet shown whether accidents have increased since the signs went up, but Mr. Markowitz doesn't think they are dangerous. "They set a style,'' he said.

"Jews and Christians alike use 'oy vey,''' he added. "It means, 'Oh, I'm pained that you're leaving, oh!' ''

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

NYR2B
March 1st, 2004, 03:26 AM
The very creative Marty Markovitz (isn't he in the Beastie Boys?) said--
"Jews and Christians alike use 'oy vey,''' he added. "It means, 'Oh, I'm pained that you're leaving, oh!' ''

In the back of my brain, out came Horshack from "Welcome Back, Kotter" flailing his arms and shouting, "Ooh, Ooh, Mr. Kotter! Mr. Kotter!" :lol:
Which brings me to a new topic and I hope everyone will help out.
(see new topic) :wink: