PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn to Jersey City

JCMAN320
September 1st, 2003, 10:32 PM
Im just wondering is Brooklyn is anything like Jersey City. Ive been to Brooklyn quite a few times but only to Downtown and Brighton Beach where the fam. lives.

billyblancoNYC
September 2nd, 2003, 10:10 AM
Not at all.

dbhstockton
September 2nd, 2003, 01:56 PM
Brooklyn is huge and diverse. *Over a million people, world-class cultural institutions, vast recreational spaces, etc. *

Kris
September 2nd, 2003, 02:08 PM
Over two million people. It would still be the fourth-largest U.S. city if it seceded.

JCMAN320
September 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
I know the about the facts about it. Im just wondering like buildings and malls and thigns like that.

ZippyTheChimp
September 2nd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Well, I've been on streets in JC with row houses similar to Brooklyn - but the comparison is impossible. They are two very different places.

In 1890, the last census before merger into Greater NY, Brooklyn was already a major city, the fourth largest in the US. It had already gobbled up all the towns of Kings county, and would have done the same with Queens.

As a city, it developed the same institutions as New York (Manhattan).

There are malls in Brooklyn - Kings Plaza, and a new one off the Belt Parkway at Pennsylvania Ave (I'm a little upset about that one).

Gulcrapek
September 2nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
Me too. My parents think me odd for refusing to go there.

ZippyTheChimp
September 2nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
At least it's all low rise, and in a few years, the landscaping will hide it. I'll just pretend it doesn't exist, and never use that brand new off-ramp.