PDA

View Full Version : Dave Brubeck dead....

Ninjahedge
December 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Take 5 buddy......

http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/Dave-Brubeck-Death-of-a-jazz-giant-4094460.php#photo-3848203

Hof
December 5th, 2012, 08:45 PM
He was, to me, the first superstar. Brubeck entered my head when I was about 14 with the convoluted "Blue Rondo a la Turk", and he's stayed with me since. His early experimentation with chord transitions awakened a curiosity about music and its' structure that enabled me to learn to read music like a short story.

"Take Five" is the gift that's just kept on giving. I will never tire of hearing it.

He was "cool" among the finger-snapping Beatniks nodding their 1950's heroin heads in smoky, candle-lit coffeehouses; everybody, a room full of hipsters bathed in blue light all under his soothing spell, grooving to the same thing-- Brubeck /jazz. It was the Beat Generation that eventually opened The New Frontier, who then went and cribbed the word to describe Dave Brubeck's inventive, laid-back style of music--and it has been a nickname he wore like a vest for three generations. Luminaries like Alan Ginsberg would read their poems with a Brubeck backdrop. THAT must have been REALLY cool.
He was cool among the legions of important business types.
He was cool among the people from my Parent's generation, among intellectuals, alcoholics and cab drivers.
Brubeck was just damn cool.

I saw him, live, 4 or 5 times, once in New York at the old Felt Forum at The Garden, and in Rochester-- at the Eastman Theatre-- I got to shake his hand after a concert. This, back in the '60s...sigh...i have a dozen of his albums, in numerous formats, and they are played often.
As the history of jazz gets written, Dave Brubeck-- and the other 3/4s of The Quartet, Paul Desmond, Joe Morello and Eugene Wright-- will forever own an exalted place in Music's Pantheon.

-- Steely Dan's Donald Fagan has taught us-- "...Don't forget about Brubeck: He's an Artist, a Pioneer; we've got to have some music on the New Frontier"...

Adios, Dave. Be cool.

Merry
December 6th, 2012, 06:40 AM
"Take Five" - classic.

Rest In Peace, Dave.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFk-kiDW_tA

Ninjahedge
December 6th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Sad part, I did not know him from Adam.... until I heard the songs he played.

As soon as I did, he was as familiar as day and night.

Sometimes you never really get to know the guys that were behind the music you had, and took for granted, in your life.