PDA

View Full Version : Marriott in Coney??

muscle1313
August 9th, 2003, 01:40 PM
We are getting rumors on my Coney Island Yahoo group about the Marriott coming to Coney. Anybody heard anything here??? Thanks!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/coneyisland2/

(Edited by muscle1313 at 1:41 pm on Aug. 9, 2003)

BrooklynRider
August 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
To the best of my knowledge, there aren't any clear signs about it coming. *A ConeyIsland.com message board had a posting stating an opinion of a member that he "wished" a Marriott Hotel "would" come. *There is no mention that it "is" coming. * The most realistic C.I. development potential is the Astella Corporations masterplan which proposes a waterpark and offers suggestions for rezoning, rehabilitation and reuse. * *

(Edited by BrooklynRider at 8:52 am on Aug. 11, 2003)

normaldude
August 9th, 2003, 08:06 PM
I don't know about Marriott, but there was a story last year in Crain's New York Business that Disney was rumored to be looking at building a theme park in Coney Island.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=620

(Edited by normaldude at 8:07 pm on Aug. 9, 2003)

muscle1313
August 9th, 2003, 08:21 PM
Quote: from BrooklynRider on 7:22 pm on Aug. 9, 2003
There aren't any rumors about it coming. *The C.I. board message stated an opinion of a member that he "wished" a Marriott Hotel "would" come. *There is no mention that it "is" coming. Let's read the posts more carefully at those boards before rumor mongering here. *I hope we can preserve the general high qualiity of this partcular forum.

BrooklynRider - You are not a member of my Yahoo group so I have no idea which message board you are talking about. It certainly isn't mine. In my "high quality" message board a member of CI's community board 13 and also a Coney Island resident (both reputable people who I have personally met) both mentioned that they heard of rumors that the Brooklyn Marriott (Muss Development) is *talking about taking over the old Shore Theater. I found it interesting since Muss is developing the $250 million Oceana condos in Brighton as well. I certainly hope we can keep high quality on these wired ny boards. They are fantastic. Still looking for some solid info on this Coney situation.

PS - BrooklynRider I don't appreciate you misquoting my Yahoo group. What you posted was not stated in my group and it would be impossible for you to know what was posted there since you are not a registered member. Thanks.

(Edited by muscle1313 at 8:23 pm on Aug. 9, 2003)

Gulcrapek
August 10th, 2003, 05:52 PM
I'd heard of the Shore being used also, a while back.

It would be nice. The building is in good condition, all it needs is a tenant for its upper 7 floors.

muscle1313
August 10th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Gulcrapek - If the Shore was transformed into a big hotel like the Marriott don't you think they would have to demolish and rebuild? Do you think the current building can be used? That certainly would be very interesting. Your thoughts.

Gulcrapek
August 10th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Marriott is a big chain, but its properties aren't neccesarily big. The shore could easily be transformed into a small Marriott.

muscle1313
August 10th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Quote: from Gulcrapek on 7:35 pm on Aug. 10, 2003
Marriott is a big chain, but its properties aren't neccesarily big. The shore could easily be transformed into a small Marriott.

Very interesting indeed. Hope it happens. One thing Coney desperately needs is a hotel. Thanks for your thoughts.