PDA

View Full Version : Is living in Manhattan feasable for an English Major? - Livi

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
August 11th, 2003, 01:23 PM
I will be graduating from Michigan State University in about 8 months and I plan to relocate to NY (my first two years of college were at Pace University in downtown!). *Does anyone know what an English major could do to survive in NY? *Or should I just call the whole thing off and go to Law School (ick)?

Hope to hear from someone.

PS: Great to be a part of this cool site. *

Freedom Tower
August 11th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm sorry I cant answer your question, but is your username some type of english project you're working on? Is it: Yes, I said Yes, I will, Yes? Or is it: Yes I said, Yes I will, Yes? Is this some kind of confusing english/science experiment you're trying to pull? Also, I suppose you're trying to ask what an English major can afford in NYC?

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
August 11th, 2003, 05:42 PM
My moniker is the last line of one of the greatest novels ever written, 'Ulysses' by James Joyce. *Ever heard of that one?

Kris
August 11th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Try way uptown.

Freedom Tower
August 12th, 2003, 11:50 AM
I've heard of it, now I will have to read it too. I have to see what your moniker really means, if anything.

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
August 12th, 2003, 01:19 PM
That literary line is probably the most meaningful line in any book I've ever read. *It's Molly Bloom's signifier of 'yes' , her affirmation of life, her decision to keep her lover, her resolve and satisfaction which concludes Joyce's epic. * Beautiful stuff. *

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
August 12th, 2003, 01:21 PM
Also, there's no punctuation because the last 40 or so pages is her stream of consciousness right before she falls asleep. *

Eugenius
August 12th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I've had a copy of Ulysses beckoning me from my bookshelf for the last two years. *However, now that I know there are 40 pages of stream of consciousness at the end, I am that much less inclined to read it...

As for your question, I think that you might seriously want to consider Brooklyn. *My guess is that you'll have a job (if you are lucky enough to have found one) that approximates a 9 to 5 schedule, which should leave you plenty of time to commute to and from Manhattan. *Alternatively, consider teaming up with a roommate.

billyblancoNYC
August 13th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Yep, there are many areas of Brooklyn that are really great (see City Guide Thread - Brooklyn Help). *Also, Astoria, LIC, Sunnyside, Woodside in Queens are great areas 15 - 20 min from Midtown. *And, if Manhattan is a must, you'll have to do some searching. I hear some good deals are to be found in the 80s adn 90s on the UES (2nd and 1st ave range) and in Harlem, Inwood, etc (Northern Manhattan, but still close by train). *Good luck.

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
August 13th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot Billy!

matt3303
August 21st, 2003, 08:29 PM
Places between 34th Street and Lower Manhattan are cheaper than the prime real estate, but lately they've heated up. The Village is pretty expensive now (compared to what it used to be) so Queens or Brooklyn is probably your best bet.

billyblancoNYC
August 23rd, 2003, 09:27 AM
Hey, don't worry, you'll find something. NY is a big city, a lot of great neighborhoods - more even day, it seems.