PDA

View Full Version : New York City no longer Skyscraper Capital - skyscrapers.com

tugrul
October 11th, 2002, 03:48 AM
"According to Skyscrapers.com the former British colony, taken by the British empire in the 19th century and handed back to China in 1997, counts now more skyscrapers than any other city on earth. "

Their database has 4468 buildings listed for NYC, 4577 for Hong Kong...

Probably the silliest argument I've seen. It was rather disturbing when I first caught a glimpse of the headline when I was confirming something in their database.

ddny
October 11th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Well...I can believe it. HK has ALOT of high-rise housing going up.

NYatKNIGHT
October 11th, 2002, 11:18 AM
It's based on buildings over 12 stories.

Fabb
October 11th, 2002, 11:32 AM
In HK, hundreds of residential buildings are nearly identical.
They're impressive, but still...

NoyokA
October 11th, 2002, 04:26 PM
Is impressive the word, whatever. 12 storeys is not a skyscraper, ridiculous, New York will forever remain the skyscraper capital.

Jessica
October 11th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Who cares what the #'s say...we know NYC is the top!

Fabb
October 12th, 2002, 07:44 AM
That argument about 12 floors is not relevant. The HK standard for residential buildings is 50 floors.
But of course, they're only the result of cloning on a grand scale.

ASchwarz
October 12th, 2002, 04:02 PM
Skyscrapers.com is a joke.

I have no idea if NY or HK has more skyscrapers, but I know their info is completely unreliable. In NY, their stats are totally off. Case in point- I have lived in three buildings of at least 12 floors in NY. None of the three buildings are counted in skyscrapers.com. 110 West Third Street (D'Agostino Residence Hall- NYU Law- 15 or 16 floors), 240 Mercer Street (NYU Law- 20 or 22 floors) and West 96th between West End and Riverside (17 floors). Where are they?

More examples- I count 6 buildings under construction at Columbia that are at least 12 floors, and 5 at NYU. Just 1 of these buildings is listed.

To be fair, it's certainly possible HK numbers are similarly incaccurate. *Skyscrapers.com doesn't have any credibility. If you want my opinion, I suspect NY still has more. Entire neighborhoods, like East NY, Brownsville and Williamsburg (my hood) have tons of 12+ floor buildings that are not represented. Maybe the "researchers" are scared of the boroughs. The Upper East and Upper West Side numbers are also a joke- tons and tons of mid-rise buildings missing. But I've never been to Hong Kong, so I can't make an informed comparison.

The under construction numbers are similarly hilarious. Half the NY buildings u/c are already completed and occupied (some occupied nearly two years ago) I can think of about 50 buildings at least 12 floors u/c in the city not listed in skyscrapers.com. Some big buildings, like at Trump Place, along Eighth Avenue and in Murray Hill.

Derek2k3
October 13th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Exactly....I never thought NY was skyscraper capital of the world because skyscrapers.com said so.

mariab
January 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM
This seemed the most appropriate thread to post this, but please move it to another thread if it's not.

China, India skyscraper boom may herald downturn

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/kjmVjizroQE0M3Nlej7hqQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9Mjc-/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/logo/ap/ap_logo_106.png (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/SIG=11612mo3o/EXP=1327545576/**http%3A//www.ap.org/)By ERIKA KINETZ | Associated Press – 12 hours ago

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/fVk1PM0zFjvXs2z_lCAq1Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MjEwMDtjcj0xO2N3PTMwMDM7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTEzMztxPTg1O3c9MTkw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/b59c04b21e1afd01030f6a7067003bde.jpg (http://wirednewyork.com/photos/file-aug-1-2011-file-photo-chinese-worker-photo-132057517.html;_ylt=AmG20RBvM5FU.bwVHCmi0y8FuodG;_ ylu=X3oDMTRpcjk2ZDF2BG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIFJlbGF0ZWQgQ2 9udGVudARwa2cDZmRhZWY3MGUtY2I3NS0zMjBlLThiNDAtMDJk ZDMzMjRkOTRhBHBvcwMxBHNlYwNNZWRpYUFydGljbGVSZWxhdG VkRmluYW5jZQR2ZXIDMmViZGY4NjAtM2M2OS0xMWUxLWIwNWIt MmFjM2ZjYTQ0ZTAy;_ylg=X3oDMTJwYXBzNDViBGludGwDdXME bGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDNjQ2ZTBiOGUtZGJiNy0zNGUxLW JkNjItZDlhZDcwNmQwNjZiBHBzdGNhdAMEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl BHRlc3QD;_ylv=3) FILE - In this Aug. 1, 2011 file photo, a Chinese worker takes a rest on the suspended platform as he cleans glass windows of a building while high-rise buildings in the central business district are seen in the backdrop in Beijing, China. A skyscraper building boom in China and India may be a sign of an impending economic correction in two of Asia's largest economies, according to a new report by Barclays Capital. (AP Photo/Andy Wong, File)

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/PFE1SFBel7ANZb5S_11G8Q--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MzI2NDtjcj0xO2N3PTQ4OTY7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTEyNztxPTg1O3c9MTkw/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/ap_webfeeds/4ccf467f1e1efd01030f6a706700ad00.jpg (http://wirednewyork.com/photos/file-oct-31-2011-file-photo-high-rise-photo-132455091.html) FILE - In this Oct. 31, 2011 file photo, high-rise buildings are seen behind old low-rise ones in Mumbai, India. A skyscraper building boom in China and India may be a sign of an impending economic correction in two of Asia's largest economies, according to a new report by Barclays Capital. (AP Photo/Rafiq Maqbool, File)

MUMBAI, India (AP) — A skyscraper building boom in China and India may signal an impending economic correction in two of Asia's largest economies, a new report says.
Barclays Capital has mapped an "unhealthy correlation" between construction of the world's tallest buildings and impending financial crises over the last 140 years.
Today, China is home to half of the world's skyscrapers — defined as buildings over 240 meters (787 feet) tall — currently under construction.
India, which has just two skyscrapers, is seeing its first skyscraper building boom, with 14 under construction, including the world's second-tallest tower, in the financial capital Mumbai.
"Building booms are a sign of excess credit," Andrew Lawrence, director of property research at Barclays Capital in Hong Kong, said Wednesday.

Historically, skyscraper construction has been characterized by bursts of sporadic, but intense activity that coincide with easy credit, rising land prices and excessive optimism, but often by the time skyscrapers are finished, the economy has slipped into recession, Lawrence said.
The Great Depression hit as the finishing touches were being put on three record-breaking buildings in New York: 40 Wall Street, the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building, which were all completed between 1929 and 1931, Barclays noted in a Jan. 10 report.
The economic and oil crises of the 1970s coincided with the completion of the twin towers at New York's World Trade Center, in 1972 and 1973, and Chicago's Sears Tower in 1974.
The Asian financial crisis hit as Kuala Lumpur's Petronas Towers were finished in 1997.
Dubai's $4.1 billion Burj Khalifa, completed in 2010, is now the world's tallest building. As it was being built, Dubai nearly went bust and the world slid into the Great Recession.
"Thankfully for the world economy, there is not currently a skyscraper under construction that is planned to overtake the height of the Burj Khalifa," the report said.

However, signs of trouble are escalating in China and India.
Today, China gets the dubious distinction of being the world's "biggest bubble builder," as it erects ever more and ever higher towers, Barclays said. Home to 53 percent of the 124 skyscrapers now under construction globally, China is primed to increase its stock of skyscrapers by 87 percent.
About 80 percent of new buildings are going up in tier two and three cities, away from developed coastal areas of the Pearl River Delta and Yangtze River Delta, which Barclays called "evidence of the expanding building bubble."
Lawrence, who was lead author of the report, said China's property market is already wobbling.
The number of residential property sales has decreased 40 to 50 percent in Beijing and Shanghai and developers have slashed prices 5 to 20 percent, he said.

India, which has just two skyscrapers but is building 14 more, takes top honors for hubris: The second tallest building in the world, the Tower of India, is now under construction in Mumbai.
Nonperforming loans in India — a substantial number of them to real estate ventures — grew by nearly a third in the first half of this fiscal year, more than triple the average annual growth rate since 2006, according to the Reserve Bank of India.
"If history proves to be right, this building boom in India and China could simply be a reflection of a misallocation of capital, which may result in an economic correction for two of Asia's largest economies in the next five years," Barclays said.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-india-skyscraper-boom-may-herald-downturn-095904234.html

Was the economic crisis & the completion of both the WTC & the Sears Tower in the '70s, a coincidence or a correlation?

BStyles
January 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM
China needs to step the hell down and realize that New York is the dominant city in the world, fact. Lately i've been hearing that China is making improvements over the US globally, but one thing that they need to recognize is that they will never reach the height of the world's greatest city.

DUMBRo
January 13th, 2012, 02:32 PM
LOL Epic decennial bump! China's office boom seems less worrisome than their oversupply of pricey apartments but if the Central Authority teases that bubble down, those empty office towers will come to the fore and as companies merge and consolidate, that excess inventory could linger on the market for years...

futurecity
January 17th, 2012, 06:13 PM
China needs to step the hell down and realize that New York is the dominant city in the world, fact. Lately i've been hearing that China is making improvements over the US globally, but one thing that they need to recognize is that they will never reach the height of the world's greatest city.

What a ridiculous post, are you drunk or having a laugh? Really, you made my day.

One thing that they need to recognize? Ha, you don't know the Chinese very well pal. They bow to nobody. Have you see some of the structures they are building? Puts our efforts at building interesting skyscrapers to shame. Their nations infrastructure is also putting us to shame fast, and don't let them tell you that our infrastructure is world class.

Like all major empires, the US is on track to be usurped by a new kid on the block. NYC will remain an amazing city, but the focus of the globe will turn to the largest cities in the world's greatest economy as China opens up in the next century.

How was the beer, by the way?

ZippyTheChimp
January 17th, 2012, 07:03 PM
It's a school night.

futurecity
January 17th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Saracsm, you know what they say..... I know NYers are known for their biting caustic wit, but come on now, doesn't it get a little dull after a while?

ZippyTheChimp
January 17th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Are you talking about my post or yours?

futurecity
January 18th, 2012, 12:26 AM
Are you talking about my post or yours?

Mine. My post was rather sarcastic in tone. Of course, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...but Nyers are well aware of that I'm sure :)

China's cities surpassing NY as the world's greatest city? As if..