PDA

View Full Version : Downtown Skyline

NYguy
November 10th, 2002, 12:41 AM
Despite the loss of the WTC, the Downtown skyline is still strong as it awaits the next 1,000 footer. *A couple of photos from nycfoto.com...

http://www.100megs5.com/~nycfoto/pictures/640x480/09.12.02/nycfoto_P9117383.JPG

http://www.100megs5.com/~nycfoto/pictures/640x480/09.12.02/nycfoto_P9117382.JPG

Kris
November 10th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Still pretty damn flabbergasting, but that chunky complex calls for something to bully it.

Fabb
November 10th, 2002, 09:00 AM
The way downtown is photographed is totally different.
The second picture is taken from an angle that had been mostly ignored for decades.

NYC kid
November 10th, 2002, 01:39 PM
wow. Those are really good pics. They really show that downtown still has a great skyline without the world trade center. But the World Financial Center looks all alone and somewhat misplaced now. Once we get a new World Trade Center, that will change. :)

(Edited by NYC kid at 12:39 pm on Nov. 10, 2002)

NYguy
November 10th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Downtown is still "skyscraper national park" as far as I'm concerned. *What better place to host the Skyscraper Museum. *Every skyscraper lover should explore those narrow canyons of concrete and steel (better on the weekend).

The new WTC will dominate again, hopefully something worthy of this magnificent skyline!

NYC kid
November 10th, 2002, 07:12 PM
I agree with NYguy. Downtowns skyscrapers are really close together which gives it a "canyon affect" as I call it.
I love that.

Rich Battista
November 11th, 2002, 12:07 PM
yes indeed, i agree, allthough i would not mind if it was either downtown or midtown, the two most dense areas of this city, and most of the world.

NYatKNIGHT
November 11th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Downtown needs an observation deck! They ought to reopen the one at 70 Pine until a proper one is built.

Quote: from Fabb on 8:00 am on Nov. 10, 2002
The way downtown is photographed is totally different.
The second picture is taken from an angle that had been mostly ignored for decades.
You're right - no one lined up a shot of downtown without the twin towers in full view, and angles that were REALLY ignored were those that lined the twin towers up so it looked like one.

Rich Battista
November 11th, 2002, 02:02 PM
good idea about the observation deck, however i do not think the deck at 70 Pine is large enough to hold the crowds that would inevitably flock to it.

Fabb
November 11th, 2002, 05:27 PM
That's what I thought, too.
Besides, one of the best skyscrapers in the district would be invisible : 70 Pines Street itself.

Why not open to the public one of the flat roofs, 55 Water Street, to name one ?

Evan
November 11th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Wihout the Wordld Trade Center, the skyline looks empty. *The skyline looks flat, because most of the buildings are around the same height. *I hope NYC not only builds big with the new WTC, but with other projects too.

NYguy
November 11th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Quote: from Evan on 5:16 pm on Nov. 11, 2002
Wihout the Wordld Trade Center, the skyline looks empty. *The skyline looks flat, because most of the buildings are around the same height. *

The skyline looks flat? *Look at the pics!

TLOZ Link5
November 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Quote: from Fabb on 4:27 pm on Nov. 11, 2002
That's what I thought, too.
Besides, one of the best skyscrapers in the district would be invisible : 70 Pines Street itself.

Why not open to the public one of the flat roofs, 55 Water Street, to name one ?

Wouldn't Chase Manhattan Plaza be a better place for an observation deck? *It's right in the middle of the Financial District, and is a lot taller than 55 Water. *I believe the top floor is used as a private lounge for Chase executives, though...

Kris
June 24th, 2003, 01:56 PM
http://www.rion.nu/v5/post/062303/IMG_3311lg.jpg
http://www.rion.nu/v5/post/062303/IMG_3317lg.jpg
http://www.rion.nu

Eugenius
June 24th, 2003, 07:17 PM
View of downtown out of my apartment window
http://www.geocities.com/eugeniuss/Daytime.jpg

(Edited by Eugenius at 6:17 pm on June 24, 2003)

JMGarcia
June 24th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Great view! :)

Agglomeration
June 24th, 2003, 11:14 PM
It's really painful to look at, this flat-looking view. :sad: Frankly I want something big to come back to the skyline. I prefer new Twin Towers, but I'd be ready for the Freedom Tower if it was impressive enough.

fvcrew22
June 24th, 2003, 11:14 PM
great pictures, I love the downtown skyline.

Jasonik
June 24th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Quote: from Christian Wieland on 5:03 am on Nov. 10, 2002
Still pretty damn flabbergasting, but that chunky complex calls for something to bully it.

Perfectly said, whatever is built needs MASS, not just height. *The WFC was designed proportionate to the WTC, now that void needs to be filled by reverse engineering a ROBUST complex.

NyC MaNiAc
June 25th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Agreed, Jason.

Downtown is still looking great, but I say again, it's not getting the attention it deserves. What other big project, besides of course the new WTC, has been announced, or proposed?

While I can name MANY for Midtown only one comes to mind for Downtown. One New York Place. And the last time I heard information on that one was months ago.

We can't let Downtown construction stop like it has. Lower Manhattan still has a lot of unused potential and growth, yet I can't help but feel Downtown is getting no love...There hasn't been real construction there in more then a decade.

Not to be funny (Not in the least because it is not a funny issue at all) but more buildings have been taken down then they have been put up in Downtown in the last 10 years... :(

Let's hope the construction of the new WTC, whatever it is, and 7 WTC allows Downtown to get moving again.

DougGold
June 30th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Problem is that without the twin towers, the skyline is imposing but not distinctive. Could be any city. Could be a bunch of buildings in Boston or Chicago. We lost our signature.

JCMAN320
June 30th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Your absolutely right Doug.

Chicagoan
June 30th, 2003, 09:40 PM
Coming into the Island, before and after 9/11 one senses a very different skyline. Yes Downtown's skyline is imposing, but it now lacks bearing and hierarchy. Despite what wa sposted here, Chicago's skyline is very distinctive and it does have hierarchy. The buildings "crowd" around three towers, Sears, Aon, and John Hancock.

Manhattan has lost this. *From Newark, you cannot tell where downtown is anymore. When arriving into the island, you can tell where midtown is, but not downtown. And from the harbour or ESB your eyes are not drawn to "a point" in downtown. But building something tall there will remedy that.

(Edited by Chicagoan at 9:41 pm on June 30, 2003)

NYatKNIGHT
July 1st, 2003, 12:39 PM
Yes, downtown badly needs a distinctive peak, though I disagree it has to be equally as massive as the twin towers were. I am worried that the current plan is insufficient though, but it seems like the plan is far from settled.

DougGold
July 1st, 2003, 04:18 PM
I may be morbidly optimistic, but the more time drags on, the more people are talking about changing the "winning" WTC design. Sure, let's move the Freedom Tower over. Whatever. I hope they tweak it and tweak it for whatever reason until we get something better.

NYatKNIGHT
July 1st, 2003, 04:26 PM
Me too, but it could just as easily be tweaked and tweaked until it is mediocre at best.

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 3:31 pm on July 1, 2003)

DougGold
July 1st, 2003, 07:42 PM
And how would that be a change, exactly?

NyC MaNiAc
July 1st, 2003, 11:53 PM
Ouch...That was harsh, Doug. :)

Seriously, I couldn't agree more. IT was NyC's signature.

Let's play a little game. I think of a city, you think of the first building that comes to mind.

Chicago: Sears
Kuala Lumpar:Petronas
San Fran: Transamerica

My point is if you were to say NYC in this game, you'd think of the Twins(Or the ESB, yes, but after 9/11 all we can think about are the Twin Towers)

I just can't see putting anything other then the signature I remember...The Twin Towers.

NYatKNIGHT
July 2nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
Quote: from DougGold on 6:42 pm on July 1, 2003
And how would that be a change, exactly?
I know what you're saying, you see it as mediocre now, okay, but believe me they can pare it down way worse than it is. Design by committee (pleasing everyone) leads to mediocrity at best. When opposing groups hall have their say, the design doesn't usually get more daring. But hey, I hope you are right Doug.

dbhstockton
July 2nd, 2003, 11:59 AM
NYC has a long history of "design by committee." *The best examples are Rockefeller Center and Lincoln Center.

DougGold
July 2nd, 2003, 01:38 PM
Well, I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again. It means a lot to me, as someone who is proud of, and very fond of our fair city. However, besides the height of the tower, the rest of the design is a disappointment. So as long as we get that little bragging right back, the rest is just trading mediocrity for mediocrity. Just build the damn thing and get it over with. I'm hoping someone else someday has the balls to build another supertall downtown that we can be more proud of. (Trump? You listening? Think you can get that wtb of yours going?)

NYatKNIGHT
July 2nd, 2003, 02:12 PM
I'm disappointed in the tower's height. It doesn't necessarily have to be the world's tallest, but it should at least look taller than the twin towers, which I'm not sure it is (I don't count the spire). And if they're claiming to build the world's tallest, great! But they're relying on hundreds of feet of needle thin spire to claim part of the height that pushes it over the top. That's so lame. If they're going for world's tallest, then let there be no argument.

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 1:19 pm on July 2, 2003)

Jasonik
July 2nd, 2003, 02:33 PM
YES, and beef up the floor plates on the higher levels, if they want to maximize window offices, make more corners, or make it long in one dimension. It could be interesting to have either skinny or wide views depending on vantage point.

All I ever see in the Freedom Tower is The Illinois (http://www.delmars.com/wright/flw7a.htm).

'Danny' is taking this unrealized American dream and making it American with the height, kinda cheap - "go the mile." *;)

Fabb
July 2nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again.

Asia won't let this happen. And you know what, I don't care.
The only relevant reference is the roof of the twin towers.
Downtown needs something as tall.
20 percent taller would be arrogant and would overwhelm the financial district.
20 percent lower would be as pathetic as a fake 70-story world's tallest building.

(Edited by Fabb at 1:46 pm on July 2, 2003)

DougGold
July 2nd, 2003, 02:53 PM
Quote: from Fabb on 1:45 pm on July 2, 2003

20 percent taller would be arrogant and would overwhelm the financial district.

You know, if it were 20 percent taller and proportionately 20 percent WIDER as well, it might start looking like something deserving of its stature.

TonyO
July 2nd, 2003, 03:24 PM
Quote: from DougGold on 12:38 pm on July 2, 2003
Well, I don't mean to sound like a grump, but the only part of the design that hasn't disappointed me is the fact that NYC will have the world's tallest building again. It means a lot to me, as someone who is proud of, and very fond of our fair city. However, besides the height of the tower, the rest of the design is a disappointment. So as long as we get that little bragging right back, the rest is just trading mediocrity for mediocrity. Just build the damn thing and get it over with. I'm hoping someone else someday has the balls to build another supertall downtown that we can be more proud of. (Trump? You listening? Think you can get that wtb of yours going?)

Doug, I couldn't have said it better myself. *The Libeskind design IS disappointing for this reason...I understand and accept compromises but I think the real definition of "skyline" has a lot to do with *presence* as well as height. *The twin towers, love them or hate them, had *presence*. *The spire that Libeskind proposed, has little substance at all.

Fabb
July 2nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
It might even be disturbing by being out of proportion with respect to the spires and spikes of 40 Wall St, 70 Pine St and the Woolworth Building.
The flat roofs of the WTC didn't compete with them. That was probably the better aesthetic choice.

(Edited by Fabb at 4:31 pm on July 2, 2003)

Kris
July 2nd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Downtown has several notable boxes as well. The spire has substance but only from certain angles, which is its inconsistency. Spires reach, flat tops simply stand. They're more serene.

NyC MaNiAc
July 2nd, 2003, 06:51 PM
Yeah, Doug, where is Trump? I said this on another forum, but how about this as a compromise...

We get "Danny boy's" (Haha) Cheap, slumpy, underwhelming spire, and then Mr. Trump, the American Hero (Haha) Put's a Twin Tower like building somewhere else in Downtown...

Imagine the possibilites...Of a Trump World! :)

Jack Ryan
July 2nd, 2003, 10:58 PM
Where were all you guys when they tore down the Singer Tower? Some smart opposition might have saved that beauty.

NyC MaNiAc
July 3rd, 2003, 03:48 AM
I was....Well, to be quite honest, yet to be conceived. :)

Fabb
July 3rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
Quote: from Jack Ryan on 9:58 pm on July 2, 2003
Where were all you guys when they tore down the Singer Tower? Some smart opposition might have saved that beauty.

There was really nothing great about it. Beaux Arts skyscrapers are weird. Like the Hemsley Building.

No, seriously, Downtown needs to invent a new style, and do so in a way that makes no aesthetic compromise.
And by style I mean height.
And by aesthetic compromise, I mean height limits.
I don't know if I'm perfectly clear.

Kris
July 3rd, 2003, 04:02 PM
Yes, except I don't see how height can define a style. Scale matters esthetically, but is just a factor among others.

Kris
July 3rd, 2003, 04:14 PM
Quote: from dbhstockton on 10:59 am on July 2, 2003
NYC has a long history of "design by committee." *The best examples are Rockefeller Center and Lincoln Center.

There seems to be confusion between design by committee (of interests) and by team (of designers).

Fabb
July 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
Quote: from Christian Wieland on 3:02 pm on July 3, 2003
Yes, except I don't see how height can define a style. Scale matters esthetically, but is just a factor among others.

Are you trying to argue about height and style ?
The man was delirious. His theory shouldn't have been taken seriously.

And I totally agree with you about about the difference between design by committee and cooperation between members of a team.
Only the leader must not be a puppet.

NYatKNIGHT
July 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM
A hazy downtown shot from Fulton Landing in Brooklyn

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/downtown_3.sized.jpg

The towers are more noticeably gone from certain views like this one, but I still think the downtown skyline is among the best anywhere. Has anyone seen what the Libeskind design would look like from here?

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 11:39 am on July 7, 2003)

Fabb
July 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Has anyone seen what the Libeskind design would look like from here?

No.
And that's precisely what kept tormenting me at the beginning. Why weren't there any decent views of the skyline with the proposed complex by Danny ?

Possible answer #1 : Because it sucks.

Answer #2 : Danny doesn't know how to include the rendering of his buildings in a real photo.

Answer #3 : Don't show, avoid comparison.

Edward
July 7th, 2003, 03:52 PM
For comparison, the picture from the same angle, with the twin towers. I think Libeskind's design will fit nicely between the spires of Woolworth Building and 40 Wall Street.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/wtc/images/wtc_fulton_ferry.jpg

NYguy
July 7th, 2003, 05:28 PM
Downtown a week ago from Saturday...

http://www.pbase.com/image/18776199/original.jpg

NyC MaNiAc
July 8th, 2003, 03:55 AM
I Love Downtown's Skyline, except...well, someone needs to show a picture of the skyline in 1990...Now, except of course for the Huge Loss of the Twins, the skyline is near identical.

Skylines should be constantly changing, ESPECIALLY in a *city so great as New York.

While all our attention is focused on the new WTC, we have to think about building other 'scrapers in Downtown...

The lack of such other projects is depressing... :(

NYguy
July 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Well, the tragedy of 9/11 led to some other losses, among them the 900 ft NYSE tower. *There are new residential towers being added to the skyline, none more than 600 ft though. *And there's the 600 ft office building planned just north of the WTC in Tribeca. *But other than those few, Downtown really doesn't have a lot of space to build new towers, which is one reason Jersey City had its building boom. *Even the NYSE tower would have required the demolition of a few building to get built.

billyblancoNYC
July 8th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Hopefully the plan to build on the East River will come to life, then we'd get some new, extremely visible towers on the waterfront (a la BPC).

NyC MaNiAc
July 8th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Ah, Billy, would that really increase lots of room to build monumental towers? That would be great. Also, there are ALOT of old, small buildings that could be demolished...

One New York Place's site is free...

USSManhattan
July 8th, 2003, 06:28 PM
You mean South Street Seaport...?

billyblancoNYC
July 8th, 2003, 06:51 PM
I believe that area was north of the BK bridge. *Not sure how far north it extended, though.

NYatKNIGHT
July 10th, 2003, 10:42 AM
More downtown skyline.....

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/DT_1.sized.jpg

Fabb
July 10th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Imagine the mess with the NYSE tower.
That would have been interesting.

NyC MaNiAc
July 11th, 2003, 04:18 PM
What are you saying Fabb? Did you agree or disagree with the NYSE Tower?

Fabb
July 11th, 2003, 06:04 PM
I didn't have to agree or disagree because I knew from the beginning that this project would be abandonned. Even before 9.11, or obvious reasons.

But, hypothetically, if the NYSE tower was built, that would make me happy because Downtown badly needs to be revitalized and, aesthetically, the downtown skyline is already a mess, so, what could we lose anyway ?
Since the romantic skyline of the 30s is lost forever, then, why not pee in the wind ? It might be fun.

NyC MaNiAc
July 12th, 2003, 02:26 AM
I'm offended (Jokingly, of course) That you could call the Manhattan Skyline a mess. While I completly agree with the fact that the skyline needs to be revitalized....

Is it "A mess?"

Not by a long shot, IMHO.

I think this points out a big issue here, with this line...

"Since the romantic skyline of the 30s is lost forever, then, why not pee in the wind ? It might be fun."-Fabb

Let me criticize this sentence for a second, Just for fun.

First of all, why live in the 30's? Skylines change, and it's been over 70 years...Don't you think Buildings and the way they are designed and created have changed in those years?

A skyline needs to change...Especially, after 70 PLUS years.

The more disturbing line to me is, "why not pee in the wind? It might be fun."

So, we've all given up hope on the skyline, and now you want to, excuse the pun, "Mess around with it?"

Plain Horrible. So the skyline has been Messed up beyond any possible fixes, so now we might as mess it up even more? Explain yourself, because I don't understand the logic. Come on!...Whatever happened to the Optimistic Post 9/11 New Yorker?! On a side note, I completly respect you and your opinion and this was not mean to be offensive in anyway.

P.S I am leaving with my family to *Australia and New Zealand this coming Monday. I expect to respond to this message, but after that, you probably will not be hearing from me until August 7-8. That is if I don't get a computer in my hands in the South Pacific! :)

I will miss talking to you all, as well as New York City...it's always hard to leave for me, if only just for a month long vacation....Yet, I'm always greeted home by the Unmessy :)Downtown Skyline and Midtown, on my return, from above.

NyC MaNiAc

Fabb
July 12th, 2003, 02:50 PM
So, we've all given up hope on the skyline, and now you want to, excuse the pun, "Mess around with it?"
Plain Horrible. - NyC MaNiAc

Yes, you're right. That's a horrible idea. I can't believe I had the nerve to express myself * that way last night.
Maybe I was out of my mind.
Maybe not.

Let's face it. No matter what our emotional attachment might make us want to believe, the Downtown skyline is currently in a phase of sad mediocrity.
The harmony of delicate and soaring structures that once characterized it disapeared by *natural death after WWII. Like you said, we don't live in the past, hence we shouldn't regret it.
The glorious days of the Twin Towers that miraculously redefined the skyline ended abruptly.
What's left ?
A collection of old towers among fat, cheap boxes among vulgar additions of the post-modern era.

Now, when I say let's pee in the wind, I mean : how could things get any worse ? Any change will do. Even Libeskind's freedom Tower.

Have I given up all hope ? On the contrary... there's nothing left but hope.

NyC MaNiAc
July 12th, 2003, 05:04 PM
How could anything get worse...

Is that with the hope that it could get better?

I love the Skyline, so, I'm sorry. Though it was extremly better with the skyline defining Towers, I would still call it the best skyline in North America, though no longer in the world.

The addition of the new WTC (If it is implented well) will really bring the skyline together...that's what the old Towers did...they made everything work.

So, the completion of those towers, the addition of the whole East River Plan, and other big name towers should help out...I dont' know, but I still think you're crazy....

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA01/NA01018.jpg

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA01/NA01010.jpg

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA02/NA02006.jpg

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA02/NA02012.jpg

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA04/NA04007.jpg

And, the Old days that looked great, might get even better...

http://www.livestockfilm.com/Stills/NA02/NA02016.jpg

There is work to be done, agreed...but, I think we're doing pretty good...

Fabb
July 12th, 2003, 05:16 PM
I would still call it the best skyline in North America, though no longer in the world.
- NyC MaNiAc

The best skyline in the world ?
How about that of Midtown ? Larger and growing. Most of the skyscrapers are of good quality, some of them are masterpieces...
Downtown pales in comparison.
Well, this is just an opinion.

NyC MaNiAc
July 12th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Midtown isn't a skyline-it's a concrete jungle.

The best concrete jungle in the world, yes, but, I wouldn't call it a skyline.

Unfortunatly, Midtown has grown so much people have forgotten about Downtown! This has got to change!

Kris
July 12th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Midtown is a dense forest you must discover from within. It hardly forms a cohesive and effective skyline, although its sheer mass is extremely impressive. Downtown's situation at the narrow tip of the island, fronting the harbor is ideal. The compression and visibility make for a far more dramatic skyline. The peak and focal point is missing, and there have been some conspicuous mistakes (55 Water Street comes to mind) ruining the harmony of the ensemble, but this condition is temporary and it will always have a significant advantage. I'm not the least worried. It's flawed but nowhere near a mess.

TLOZ Link5
July 12th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Downtown had, and maybe still has, the world's most romantic skyline. *The Big Four prewar towers—Woolworth, 40 Wall, AIG, and 20 Exchange Place—are still very prominent, though depending on the view one or more of them may be obscured by the presence of newer buildings (e.g.: Chase Manhattan blocks the view of 40 Wall from the north). *If there were one skyscraper downtown that I could get rid of and replace with what used to be there, it would be One Liberty Plaza. *I wish that the Singer Building were still around...

Kris
July 12th, 2003, 09:58 PM
I don't. Corny and overrated.

NyC MaNiAc
July 12th, 2003, 11:13 PM
So, Christian I want to know if we are on the same page.

You think the skyline is flawed, but still wonderful, and it can be fixed by adding a big Focal Point, and getting some new towers in there?

I like the word "Temporary." Maybe mistakes have been made (It's still an opinion, but I won't go into my strange love with 55 water.) But, with the addition of new towers, it will be fixed.

Couple questions, for the Wired NY wise...

1. Is the East River plan really going to happen?
2. Is the Deutsche Bank building which looked to be destroyed, be replaced by a "Good" (I use the word very loosely, of course) 'Scraper?
3. What's happening with the space where One NY Place was supposed to, or still is, rise?

Thanks for your time...Now I gotta go pack for my trip to Australia.

Fabb
July 13th, 2003, 03:38 AM
You don't like One Liberty Plaza !?!?
Me neither.
But it's another building that functioned next to the Twin Towers.

TLOZ Link5
July 14th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Quote: from Christian Wieland on 8:58 pm on July 12, 2003
I don't. Corny and overrated.

It had class, substance, and in its time was the most famous skyscraper on earth. *It was one of the first buildings to implement corner diagonal cross-bracing, a support against wind pressure commonly used in later steel buildings. *And its unique slenderness, culminating in a slightly bulging crown, was quite reminiscent of a sewing needle, which was a fitting corporate gesture considering that the Singer company makes sewing machines. *In my opinion, its loss is no less than a travesty and an indictment of the city.

Kris
July 14th, 2003, 09:21 PM
I respect the technical innovation but its appearance to me was mawkish and awkward. I find One Liberty Plaza's extreme brutality more tolerable.

Chicagoan
July 14th, 2003, 09:26 PM
I too find The Singer Buildings decoration a bit "overbearing". But as a disclaimer, I am not very much of a fan of most of the skyscrapers put up in the Beaux Arts style. But I still think it was an moderately aesthetically appealing structure.

Likewise for One Liberty. If Brookfield ever wanted to renovated the structure, including the exterior, I have some great ideas!

NYatKNIGHT
July 15th, 2003, 10:52 AM
Nah, I'd prefer to see the Singer on that location across from Equitable, near Woolworth, next to the Trinity buildings and St. Peter's Church, classic New York. It would have been reflected off 140 Broadway. And it made you look up - One Liberty is a black hole. It could use a makeover.

Fabb
July 16th, 2003, 08:24 AM
What for ?
It will never be "pretty" ayway.

NYguy
July 16th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Midtown DOES have a skyline, and one of the best anywhere I might add. *It has to be caught from the right angles, but it has a great skyline. *I don't buy into the argument that there are too many buildings.

It's true that it doesn't have an "empty" skyline like so many of these other cities, but it shouldn't be discredited because of its fullness.

NYatKNIGHT
July 16th, 2003, 12:14 PM
We're used to seeing midtown's skyline along its north-south axis, but its east-west axis is actually longer and to me it looks less dense. You just have to find people with roof access to notice it - that or the fantastic Central Park view, though ESB and Chrysler are absent from there.

Quote: from Fabb on 7:24 am on July 16, 2003
What for ?
It will never be "pretty" ayway.
You never know, Chicagoan apparently has some "great ideas"!

Eugenius
July 16th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Actually, the ESB is visible from Central Park. *Granted, it doesn't dominate like it does from just about every other angle, but perhaps that's the beauty of the CP vantage point.

Zak
July 28th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Regarding the 'focal point' for Lower Manhatten... If I recall correctly, weren't the Twin Towers originally supposed to be built on the East Side? Would it be possible for this 'old plan' to be revived?

Just imagine the potential, of Twin Towers, the Freedom Tower, and if people get their act together, maybe even One York York Place. You wanted a signature? You got a few to choose from.

TLOZ Link5
July 28th, 2003, 02:19 PM
A World Trade Center was originally proposed by the Port Authority for the East Riverfront, yes; but not the Twin Towers, per se. *The original site was at or near the South Street Seaport, and as designed by SOM would have included a 50- to 70-story office tower, a merchandise mart, a hotel, prestigious retail space, a custom house and a new home for the New York Stock Exchange. *The original plan was cancelled and the proposal moved to the Hudson Rail Terminal site (a.k.a.: the current PATH train station) so that New Jersey could benefit from owning a commuter rail line.

billyblancoNYC
July 28th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Well, good for Jersey. So the PA bias began all the way back then?

TLOZ Link5
July 28th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Quote: from billyblancoNYC on 2:21 pm on July 28, 2003
Well, good for Jersey. So the PA bias began all the way back then?

So it seems. *::shrug::

NYatKNIGHT
August 4th, 2003, 04:05 PM
August 3, 2003

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/DT_skyline.sized.jpg

NYguy
August 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Looks like a painting. *Let's hope the new WTC will liven things up a bit.

NYguy
August 4th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Quote: from TLOZ Link5 on 1:19 pm on July 28, 2003
The original plan was cancelled and the proposal moved to the Hudson Rail Terminal site (a.k.a.: the current PATH train station) so that New Jersey could benefit from owning a commuter rail line.

Something like that. *The RR was going bankrupt I believe, and the deal was for the PA to take over the money losing lines wich became the Port Authority Trans Hudson. *

Ironicly, the PATH is still a money losing operation, even after the fare was boosted to $1.50 last year to match the subway fare (the subway has since jumped to $2).

The PA's losses with the PATH are made up elsewhere, mostly at the airports and toll crossings. *This does not sit well with NY, even though about half of the stations are in Manhattan.

NyC MaNiAc
August 21st, 2003, 12:02 AM
When 1 New York Place rises, where will it be in the skyline? Close to the New WTC, or more to the right? I think we could use a tall building to the right, which would complement the new Trade Center Tower, and the East Side Plan, which is happening, when?

Freedom Tower
August 21st, 2003, 10:31 PM
NYC maniac, do you know something about 1 NYP that I don't? I haven't heard about it at all... I've been wondering if it'd happen.

NyC MaNiAc
August 22nd, 2003, 12:44 AM
No, Freedom, I really wish I did, I truly do.

Unfortunatly, I don't. Does anyone know something me and Freedom don't?

Freedom Tower, I have not heard much since the plan was released to the public. I recently contacted KPF associates and I should be getting a reply shortly.

I'll tell you all I know then.

ZippyTheChimp
August 22nd, 2003, 01:43 AM
If this was ever a serious proposal beyond the initial announcement - and I can't find any current information - it has to be considered dead for the transit center site. The scoping document meeting was held almost 4 months ago. The MTA is preparing the EIS. 1 NY Place would have to be included in that process.

Unless they want to build it after the transit center is complete - which would be really stupid.

JMGarcia
August 22nd, 2003, 09:27 AM
Unless they want to build it after the transit center is complete - which would be really stupid.

Sort of the equivalent of ConEd waiting to do its work until after the road is freshly paved and that never happens. ;)

NyC MaNiAc
August 23rd, 2003, 12:29 AM
So, will any tall building be placed there at all?

NYguy
August 24th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Quote: from ZippyTheChimp on 12:43 am on Aug. 22, 2003
If this was ever a serious proposal beyond the initial announcement - and I can't find any current information - it has to be considered dead for the transit center site. The scoping document meeting was held almost 4 months ago. The MTA is preparing the EIS. 1 NY Place would have to be included in that process.

Who knows what is really going on there. The entire Fulton St is about to be redeveloped, and the tower wasn't planned for the immediate future.

ZippyTheChimp
August 24th, 2003, 09:38 AM
That is certainly true, but my point was specifically about 1 NY Place, which was proposed for the entire square block. *

NyC MaNiAc
August 24th, 2003, 05:47 PM
What about the East Side plan? I never really understood the whole concept? Would it kind of be like Battery Park City but to the east? Are they adding land?

TLOZ Link5
August 24th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Quote: from NyC MaNiAc on 4:47 pm on Aug. 24, 2003
What about the East Side plan? I never really understood the whole concept? Would it kind of be like Battery Park City but to the east? Are they adding land?

Yes. *That was one of the concepts the Bloomberg had presented for his vision.

NyC MaNiAc
August 24th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Thank you TLOZ...Is it going to happen, though?

TLOZ Link5
August 25th, 2003, 08:25 PM
There's a possibility. *I don't think there's a major residential presence there, aside from near the Seaport and at Hanover Square, so NIMBYism might not be a problem. *Construction costs, as well as where exactly the landfill will be coming from, are points to consider.

NyC MaNiAc
August 25th, 2003, 09:42 PM
I think that would be meaningful to take land from the Trade Center site...

what it did to create Battery Park City several decades ago, it could to the same to add on to Downtown, reborn.

*Sniff, Sniff* I really do think the East Side Plan would turn Downtown around. Making it a lively place with nightlife and such, would attract more people Downtown.

Freedom Tower
August 26th, 2003, 12:07 AM
The skyline downtown is great. It was better with the WTC, but it is still great. If they go through with the East Side plan I hope whatever buildings they add will be tall and fat to keep the skyline looking pretty. I hope that if it does go through that there will be some 50 - 60 story buildings going up, instead of some 30 - 40 story buildings.

NyC MaNiAc
August 26th, 2003, 08:10 AM
I Like you Freedom Tower :)

Seriously, I do think the East Side Plan has a chance of Revitalizing the whole area. We just can't screw it up...

Freedom Tower
August 27th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks Maniac, why do I always become good friends with crazy people? ;). I'm glad you think it will revitalize the area, I hope it does. Does anyone know when, if ever, exact plans for buildings will emerge?

ZippyTheChimp
August 27th, 2003, 01:49 PM
There is no one East River Plan that is waiting for design. There are numerous proposals and ideas - some of them don't involve buildings at all.

Mayor Bloomberg made reference to developing the East River in his Lower Manhattan visions speech last December, but nothing specific was proposed.

The entire speech is here (http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/read_mayor_bloomberg_s_80515.asp)

NYguy
August 27th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Another view of the skyline, from the Hudson. *In a few years, there will be a great view of the Freedom Tower...

http://www.pbase.com/image/20741166/large.jpg

Eugenius
August 28th, 2003, 10:43 AM
Do they still light up the umbrella on that Traveler's building at night? *I remember there were complaints from nearby residents associated with the bright neon light.

ZippyTheChimp
August 28th, 2003, 11:13 AM
Supposedly, an agreement was worked out some years ago. The brightness was decrerased by removing or turning off some of the neon tubes.

I never noticed any difference, but I never paid much attention.

NyC MaNiAc
August 28th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Yes, I can also account to knowing that they are at least still on. I'm a frequent downtown traveller and I recently went up to the ESB observatory for the first time since 9/11-strangely, I found myself scared whenever I saw a plane pass by....I was suprised that I got so frightened...

Anyway, though, you can see the umbrella from uptown the ESB!

Freedom Tower
August 29th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Yeah, I was up on the ESB observatory once since 9/11 and the friend I was with was very scared when he saw a low flying single engine plane over River that seemed to be turning. He kept saying that if it turned around he would run. Then it started to scare me too, although I doubt that a plane of its small size would've done any major damage.

Edward
September 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
The view of downtown Manhattan skyline from the Gowanus Expressway.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/brooklyn/gowanus/gowanus_expressway_manhattan_31aug03.jpg

TLOZ Link5
September 1st, 2003, 11:29 PM
I contacted skyscrapers.com yesterday to inform them about the Woolworth Building's impending partial conversion to apartments, as well as its use by NYU for classrooms and other university functions. *I got a reply this morning saying that they had since added "university" as one of Woolworth's usages and would withold on adding "residential" until they heard concrete proof that the conversion would go through. *Upon checking the Woolworth Building's profile, I found that they were true to their word.

NyC MaNiAc
September 2nd, 2003, 01:51 AM
Hey, is KPF building 1 NY Place?

I'm confused...they don't seem to be writing back to me...

Freedom Tower
September 2nd, 2003, 04:03 PM
I think 1 NYP is confusing us all. I have a bad feeling that the whole thing will turn out to be a dissapointment. :( I think they won't build anything there. But that isn't even an educated guess, just an instinct.

NyC MaNiAc
September 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM
Yeah, the whole thing sucks-but I think something needs to go up there-I just don't know what yet.

Edward
September 20th, 2003, 11:02 PM
The view of downtown Manhattan skyline (http://www.wirednewyork.com/manhattan/default.htm) from New Jersey side of the Hudson River.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/manhattan/images/manhattan_downtown_skyline_7sept03.jpg (http://www.wirednewyork.com/manhattan/default.htm)

NyC MaNiAc
September 21st, 2003, 01:50 AM
The skyline is....

How can I say it....

Majestic.

LeCom
September 21st, 2003, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I was up on the ESB observatory once since 9/11 and the friend I was with was very scared when he saw a low flying single engine plane over River that seemed to be turning. He kept saying that if it turned around he would run. Then it started to scare me too, although I doubt that a plane of its small size would've done any major damage.
Well, if it smashed right into you...

GR2NYsoon
September 24th, 2003, 03:19 PM
NYatNight. i have a new background. Edward i LOVE your second to last pic. Are there any ANGLED roads like where u shot this, only with a view of midtown ? ? Now THAT, would be somplace to show of fthe city fo sho.

NYguy
November 25th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Skyscrapers, up close...

http://www.pbase.com/image/23629588/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/23629590/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/23629646/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/image/23629591/large.jpg

TLOZ Link5
November 25th, 2003, 09:51 PM
In The Bonfire of the Vanities, Chase Manhattan was the headquarters of Pierce & Pierce, the bond brokerage company Sherman McCoy worked for: "a glass tower that rose up sixty stories from out of the gloomy groin of Wall Street."

JMC
November 25th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Way to dis that new apartment building, next to 1 CMP...doh!

:P

NYatKNIGHT
June 29th, 2004, 11:43 AM
http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/early_skyscrapers_001.sized.jpg

From Pier A in Hoboken:

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/DT_5.sized.jpg

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/gateway2.sized.jpg

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/NYatKNIGHT/WFC.sized.jpg

Jeffreyny
July 1st, 2004, 12:07 AM
I must say I have never like the American Express Towers though.
Jersey City is certainly becoming a rival to lower Manhattan too.
Can't wait for the Freedom Tower addition.
Nice photos!

krulltime
July 1st, 2004, 12:12 AM
How do you get to Pier A in Hoboken from manhattan? I sure want to go there.

Nice photos! :wink:

NYatKNIGHT
July 1st, 2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks. When you come out of the PATH station in Hoboken, make a beeline for the river - 1st St. and River St.

asg
April 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM
view from 140 B'way

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/140Bway.jpg

londonlawyer
April 14th, 2005, 04:44 PM
view from 140 B'way

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/140Bway.jpg

Do you work in 140 B'Way? I do. We should meet for lunch if you're in this bldg.

NYatKNIGHT
April 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Cool view, now let's see how it looks to the east, south, and west. :)

asg
April 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
This is the 43rd floor. I don't have photos of the other views. This floor has been gutted in order to be shown at a broker's party.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/8623.jpg

Here are two views from my office on Broad St.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/148-4832_IMG.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/asg9000/159-5992_IMG1.jpg

macreator
April 14th, 2005, 09:41 PM
ASG, I love the last shot you posted! It looks like it came right out of the movie Metropolis and yet that is downtown Manhattan for you. I envy the view from your office.

The last shot you posted, the gutted party floor, would be be a great place to shoot a scene of a movie. Anyhow, once again fantastic photos. :)

Zoe
June 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Some recent random Downtown shots
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/6320/copyofdowntownpics007a7wo.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img300.echo.cx/img300/8991/downtownpics0067ih.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img276.echo.cx/img276/5507/downtownpics0129jo.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img300.echo.cx/img300/224/downtownpics0218ay.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)
http://img300.echo.cx/img300/6066/downtownpics0278bf.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Jake
June 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE FOR ALL OF YOU HUGE 360* VIEW OF NYC
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/22/Skyline-New-York-City.jpg
copy and paste the subject to your browser

Bob
June 6th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Question: does Trump World Tower emit a high pitched noise aimed at Jupiter? And, are there a bunch of apes throwing bones around at its base?

NYguy
June 6th, 2005, 09:04 PM
Always an amazing view...

NYatKNIGHT
January 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
On a recent morning from the Manhattan Bridge....

http://www.pbase.com/image/54677394.jpg

czsz
January 10th, 2006, 03:52 PM
What a glow!

michelle1
January 10th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Sensational

DarrylStrawberry
October 28th, 2006, 09:21 PM
The greatest city on earth.

macreator
October 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I wish 70 Wall Street was lit up at night. It has such a beautiful cap, you'd think Trump could spare the money to floodlight it.

TREPYE
October 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
^ Ummm...I think you may be referring to 40 Wall st. (aka Trump Building). But you are right, I often wondered why doesn't Trump light it up.
From what I understand this was his best investment ever. He bought the thing for like a million bucks back in the nineties and now he is reaping the benefits of a strong office market. Thus, I also see no reason why he couldn't spare a few bucks to give it some night presence.

macreator
October 30th, 2006, 12:36 AM
^ Ummm...I think you may be referring to 40 Wall st. (aka Trump Building). But you are right, I often wondered why doesn't Trump light it up.
From what I understand this was his best investment ever. He bought the thing for like a million bucks back in the nineties and now he is reaping the benefits of a strong office market. Thus, I also see no reason why he couldn't spare a few bucks to give it some night presence.

You're right, my mistake, 40 Wall Street. I believe he originally intended to convert part of the building to condos.

millertime83
October 30th, 2006, 01:05 PM
http://cornerpocketproductions.com/photos/misc/citysm.jpg

ablarc
October 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
http://cornerpocketproductions.com/photos/misc/citysm.jpg
Very nice photo from an unusual vantage point. Too bad the human eye doesn't provide the telephoto's spatial compression that brings Empire State into intimate discourse with Downtown.

TREPYE
October 31st, 2006, 01:03 AM
Not just the the ESB, also Chrysler and Statue of Liberty. Great holistic NYC shot.

millertime83
October 31st, 2006, 01:11 AM
How do you get to Pier A in Hoboken from manhattan? I sure want to go there.

Nice photos! :wink:

take the PATH to Hoboken. It's right next to the station.

LeCom
November 3rd, 2006, 01:30 AM
I wish 7WTC was of a slightly different height. I passed by Downtown on a bus through Jersey City last night and noticed that 3WFC and 7WTC, being about the same height, form a band of light at night. This throws off the balance of WFC towers lighting and makes it look as if there is an enormous 700 ft by 700 ft tower block with a single lit up band at the top.

DarrylStrawberry
August 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Here's one more.

RandySavage
August 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
From NJ, downtown currently has a world class skyline... the new WTC will put it into the stratosphere:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1036846874_8915a9780a_b.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1113/1021019353_cd6e4a8bfe_b.jpg

http://www.projectrebirth.org/albums/world-trade-center_towers/230000_hr.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarella/

JCMAN320
August 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM
That will be the view from the Jersey City waterfront in the that last photo. It will look great. :)

lofter1
August 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Foster's 2WTC is too short :( ...

Derek2k3
August 16th, 2007, 09:02 PM
That render over-exaggerates the perspective.

Radiohead
August 17th, 2007, 01:09 AM
The black at the top right is the wing of a giant bat. Please disregard:D

Enlarge: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/1143595431_e756802cd9_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/1143595431_b52f853668_b.jpg

RandySavage
August 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
^ Nice shot. Looks like a great wind for sailing that day.

Zephyr
August 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
These photos, especially without the former WTC Towers, make this part of the skyline look decidedly dated. This area will be enlived with a few supertalls coming down the pipeline, and I for one will standup and cheer these anticipated intrusions.

Derek2k3
August 22nd, 2007, 10:56 PM
Yup, dated indeed. All those BPC towers were built in the last 10 years yet they look like pimped out projects. What a missed opportunity.

DarrylStrawberry
August 10th, 2008, 04:59 PM
I love New York.

NoyokA
August 10th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Great pics Darryl, postcard worthy.

DarrylStrawberry
August 10th, 2008, 08:09 PM
thanks!

Derek2k3
January 27th, 2010, 11:35 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4310055459_9cd37e25fc_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4310055461_e176b7fab4_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4310055463_7169952b62_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2802/4310055451_8a6c7ae194_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2723/4310091805_6e56e22cf1_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4310055449_818a5c8058_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4310792734_d5acd20bf2_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4049/4310792740_036bf6e92a_o.jpg

Derek2k3
January 27th, 2010, 11:50 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4054/4310086277_db0ec188d2_o.jpg

lofter1
June 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
A terrific image of Downtown from Governor's Island by Andrew Mace at Flickr, a composition of 19 different photos ...

andrew mace Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acmace/4676805895/in/set-72157624141253311/)

Super Large Size (http://www.flickr.com/photos/acmace/4676805895/sizes/o/) (4,000 x 2,000)

CitiesfromSpace
July 18th, 2010, 01:10 AM
It is THE greatest concentration of skyscrapers with a volume this large.

lofter1
January 23rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
The downtown Manhattan skyline as imagined in 1931 by Polhemus & Coffin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polhemus_%26_Coffin) ...

Polhemus & Coffin AIA 1919-1954 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/polhemusandcoffin/sets/72157625363485782/) at Flickr

http://www.polhemusandcoffin.com/

Small French Buildings (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Small-French-Buildings-Polhemus-Coffin/167245123299758) by Polhemus & Coffin on Facebook

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/hs223.ash2/50268_167245123299758_2763170_n.jpg

Derek2k3
September 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Color skyline shots from the 50's. Even with all the crap that was built after this time period, I'm glad the city was never museumized. Still a lot to be missed.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4130/5224015029_a35e7c9de0_o.jpg
michaelgsmith (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgsmith/5224015029/sizes/o/in/set-72157625383325161/)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5165/5224014411_34f8acde0a_o.jpg
michaelgsmith (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgsmith/5224015029/sizes/o/in/set-72157625383325161/)

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4153/5224014597_ae2b8f5e19_o.jpg
michaelgsmith (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgsmith/5224014597/sizes/o/in/set-72157625383325161/)

Two of Midtown:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5188/5654758243_af3259bdc7_b.jpg
michaelgsmith (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgsmith/5654758243/sizes/l/in/set-72157625383325161)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5182/5655330480_1c2cc2dafc_b.jpg
michaelgsmith (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelgsmith/5655330480/sizes/l/in/set-72157625383325161/)

From the 60's.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/VIEWLINER/1006%20VLTD/NYBIGPC2.jpg
http://viewlinerltd.blogspot.com/2010/06/new-york-new-york.html

Lower Manhattan Skyline From the Air - This historic area where half a million people work includes City Hall, the Battery, Federal Hall, Trinity Church, the new 60-story Chase Manhattan Bank Building and Wall Street, the financial capital of the world.

Music Man
September 3rd, 2012, 11:30 PM
Wow. Pretty

lofter1
September 4th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Except there's that big slab that got plopped in the middle of all the poetry.

stache
September 4th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Destroying the Singer building in the process... :( :mad:

Tectonic
September 4th, 2012, 09:27 AM
One Chase always seemed like a better fit in Midtown. Singer might be condos now if it was still around.

londonlawyer
September 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I've always wanted to see the crappy buildings on Nassau (depicted on the left and right sides of this photo) to be redeveloped. Sadly, however, I read last week that three nice old structures (which have been empty for years) will be razed and replaced with a low-end hotel.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4037/4310055461_e176b7fab4_o.jpg

RoldanTTLB
September 5th, 2012, 06:40 PM
The ones on the left of this pic past the terrible holiday inn? I can believe that if it's the case. They've been emptying that stuff out for a while.