View Full Version : Midtown Manhattan: Under 400' of Water

Just Rich
December 9th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Watch the movie of the water draining here:
http://homepage.mac.com/rigrij/iMovieTheater23.html

http://homepage.mac.com/rigrij/.Pictures/New%20York%20Stuff/NY_underwater.jpg

Eugenius
December 9th, 2002, 12:16 PM
JustRich, I hope all of these buildings are included in your Midtown height map.

Great detail on the model.

(Edited by Eugenius at 12:49 pm on Dec. 9, 2002)

Just Rich
December 9th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Eugenius

The model is not as updated as the map
The model doesn't have AOL Time Warner yet or a couple of
the Times Square buildings.

NYatKNIGHT
December 9th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Very cool, Rich - especially the movie.

My guess is that street level is assumed to be the same as sea level, no?
I have yet to see one of those city models take into account the terrain of the ground.

Eugenius
December 9th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Manhattan below Central Park is very flat. *I would be surprised if the height differential between any two street-level points is above 20 feet.

NYatKNIGHT
December 9th, 2002, 03:01 PM
It is flat, you're right, although the waters of the Hudson would have to rise 80' to get Columbus Circle wet.

Below are the street elevations of notable midtown skyscrapers - rounded to the nearset 5 feet.
(From the US Geological Survey)

Empire State Building – 50’ Above Sea Level
Chrysler Building – 40’
Citicorp Center– 40’
Trump World Tower – 30’
City Spire – 70’
Conde Nast Building – 55’
GE Building – 65’
Met Life Building – 60’
Worldwide Plaza – 60’
Carnegie Hall Tower – 80’
Bear Sterns – 60’
Equitable Center – 60’
Exxon – 55’
1 Penn Plaza – 40’
1 Astor Plaza – 50’
General Motors – 50’
500 5th Ave. – 70’

AOL/Time Warner – 80’
New York Times Tower – 45’
Bloomberg Tower – 50’
1 Bryant Park – 65’
Times Square Tower – 55’

(Edited by NYatKNIGHT at 2:01 pm on Dec. 9, 2002)

yanni111
December 9th, 2002, 05:07 PM
this is great!! who made this thing!!? it helps you see where would be a good spot for some over 500ft buildings, the area between Park ave and 6th below Rockefeller could use a few 500+ footers, and alot more between 42 st and the empire state building would fill the gaps great!

amigo32
December 9th, 2002, 08:20 PM
I just love these maps and models that you post Just Rich!!!

NoyokA
December 9th, 2002, 09:33 PM
second that, all fantastic.

TLOZ Link5
December 10th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Interesting, and quite cool, but a bit unsettling. *New York flooded...it's been a week since I watched AI and the scene of a flooded Manhattan still really creeps me out...

chris
December 11th, 2002, 01:59 AM
Yes, there is an article I just read today in the new issue of Metropolis about NYC underwater. The post-ice-cap-melted-NYC-meme is busy at work.

Did this skyline model come from Urban Data Solutions (http://www.u-data.com/)? It looks like one of thiers. Regardless, how did you get hold of it.... unless "just rich" refers to something other than your name? I understand that the full Manhattan map from Urban Data can cost tens of thousands to license.

http://www.u-data.com/images/aboutuds1.jpg

(Edited by chris at 1:03 am on Dec. 11, 2002)

NYatKNIGHT
December 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Another cool map!

Ptarmigan
December 12th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Cool 3D view of Manhattan. I am wondering where they got all the height data for those buildings besides the highrises of course. I am working on a large and detailed New York model.

amigo32
December 13th, 2002, 02:56 AM
There are various websites, but I think Chris hit on it. *You would probably have to go through a private company, or a city agency. *I've tried forever here in KC, the city won't give anything up, so if I want that info bad enough I would have to pay a 3-D imaging/graphics company.

tomkarlo
December 26th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Quote: from yanni111 on 4:07 pm on Dec. 9, 2002
this is great!! who made this thing!!? it helps you see where would be a good spot for some over 500ft buildings, the area between Park ave and 6th below Rockefeller could use a few 500+ footers, and alot more between 42 st and the empire state building would fill the gaps great!

Those gaps are largely due to underlying geography -- how far you have to dig to put a skyscraper directly on the underlying bedrock... where the rock is nearer to the surface, you find larger buildings, so the skyline of manhattan mirrors the profile of the rock underneath it.

Eugenius
December 27th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Although it's hard to believe that there is not a single spot within 5 blocks of ESB where a tall building could go. *The fact of the matter is that the area around ESB is not all that popular among the business community, so an office building there could not get the rents available on Park Avenue, for example.

Zoe
December 27th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Speaking of buildings within 5 blocks of the ESB, there is a new 35 story residential building going up right next to it. *It is on 33rd street right next to the loading bay of the ESB. *Given the height of this new building and the fact that it is being built right next to the ESB, I think will slightly change the appearance of the building forever.

chris
December 31st, 2002, 05:40 AM
35 stories... and at residential floor heights, should at best only be about 1/3 *of ESB's height. plus, 33rd street entrance is the back... the main entrance is technically the 5th Avenue entrance. When shown from the broad side with downtown in the background (as it usually is in photographs) the new building would be entirely obscured behind the ESB. It would only be visible in the lower left corner of the building when seen from further downtown looking North with midtown behind it.

chris
December 31st, 2002, 05:47 AM
I just hope it's not some obnoxious post-modernist embarassment that, by its sheer proximity to the ESB suddenly becomes a widely photographed architectural representative of New York due to its mere proximity to the ESB (I.E. in lots of photographs with the ESB, but not for its own sake)... Who is the architect?

Rich Battista
January 2nd, 2003, 01:40 AM
hey, its cool to see what is going to happen whenever the polar icecaps melt away