PDA

View Full Version : Former WTC tenants get 1st shot at new WTC

NYguy
January 3rd, 2003, 07:37 AM
Daily News...

WTC occupants have first claim on offices

By PAUL H.B. SHIN

The landlord of the World Trade Center towers has promised his former tenants first dibs on space in offices that eventually will be built at Ground Zero, the Daily News has learned.

Larry Silverstein, who signed a 99-year lease for the twin towers in the summer of 2001, made the promise at an informal gathering of downtown redevelopment officials on Dec. 19, said Meyer Feig, who heads an association of former Trade Center tenants.

His members are eager to return, Feig said - despite lingering fears that the new space will be a target for terrorism.

"After having a such a disaster, everybody - including the government - will be overcautious. So I would feel safer being there more than anywhere else," said Om Baweja, 41, president of Honor Chem, a vitamin trading company that used to be on the 46th floor of the north tower.

Others were more cautious.

"If my employees feel comfortable, I would be willing to go back. But having lived through what we did, I want some assurances," said Kayvan Karoon, 37, of Karoon Capital Management, a financial management company that used to be on the 22nd floor of the north tower.

Silverstein could not be reached for comment yesterday, but his spokesman, Steve Solomon, did not refute the pledge.

Real estate experts said the offer is largely symbolic because it will be years before any office buildings are erected on the site. But experts also predict Silverstein's property again will become the world's most recognizable business address.

"Combined with all the new transportation that is planned, I think there will be a lot of demand," said Brad Gerla, senior managing director at Insignia/ESG, a commercial real estate company.

Meanwhile, lower Manhattan planners will convene hearings on Jan. 13 and Jan. 14 at Pace University to gather public comment on nine new Ground Zero designs.

The meetings will be simulcast at the North Bronx Healthcare Network, the York College Performing Arts Center in Queens and the College of Staten Island. Sites in Brooklyn and Long Island are yet to be chosen.

The corporation and the Port Authority, which owns the site, will recommend a single master plan by Jan. 31.

Fabb
January 3rd, 2003, 08:12 AM
But experts also predict Silverstein's property again will become the world's most recognizable business address.

Of course.
And Silverstein won't need much advertissment in the first years of business...

NYguy
January 3rd, 2003, 05:06 PM
One thing I'm glad the article pointed out is that, with the new transportation infrastructure (trains, buses, improved subway), the WTC will become THE business address Downtown, if not in all of Manhattan. *The WTC will have a Grand Central and PA Bus Terminal all in one site...

dbhstockton
January 3rd, 2003, 05:59 PM
One thing I'm glad the article pointed out is that, with the new transportation infrastructure (trains, buses, improved subway), the WTC will become THE business address Downtown, if not in all of Manhattan. *The WTC will have a Grand Central and PA Bus Terminal all in one site... *

Let's not forget "all of the world," too. *I've heard talk of special federal tax incentives for international companies to create a true "World Trade" zone.

Silverstein should make out like a bandit once all is said and done.

I sure hope the commuter rail and airport connections are realized. *I don't know what the status of those things are. *Tying together the PATH and subway lines is one thing, but LIRR and AirTrain is essential to that "downtown Grand Central" idea. *They take it to the next level.

Either way, it looks like we get huge and super-cool transit centers and extensive underground concourses for those crappy days (like in Montreal or Toronto). *Which is kind of like a larger-scale Rockefeller center for downtown, which has transit, retail, public, office, and cultural uses all integrated into its design. *I can't believe how many people there are that worry about if this is going to make money or not. *Rockefeller center was undertaken in the midst of an economy much worse than ours, facing the same sort of doubts--nobody at the time was building commercial skyscrapers and the design was widely criticized.

NYguy
January 4th, 2003, 07:41 AM
I agree dbhstockton, when it all comes together, people will question why they doubted the project in the first place.

More returning to normal Downtown...(Daily News)

Back at home on Cedar St.

Chased from their homes by a storm of World Trade Center debris, the tenants of the closest apartment building to Ground Zero were kept out for 15 months by a blizzard of bureaucratic bungling.

Their wait finally has ended.

In recent weeks, anxious and optimistic tenants of 125 Cedar St. received permission to return to the 12-story building on the southern perimeter of the Trade Center site. Five of the building's 23 families have returned. All are expected to move back within the next month.

"This has been our home for 22 years," said Ed Serrapede, 58. "It's not like the normal building in New York City. We know everyone here."

The building was one of the first in the Financial District to be converted from offices into apartments. The tenants, who have rent-stabilized apartments, did the work themselves.

Yesterday, many of them gathered in a dusty loft to thank the person they credit with getting them back home: Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver.

Last year, Silver (D-Manhattan) pulled the building's management, utility companies and representatives of various city, state and federal agencies into one room to resolve the problems keeping the building closed.

Electricity was restored, insurance claims were completed and the building was cleaned by the city Department of Environmental Protection.

For his help, Silver was named an honorary tenant, prompting him to joke, "As long as you keep the refrigerator stocked and I get the remote when I'm here, we'll get along fine."
.................................................. .................................................

(NY Post)

HOME SWEET HOME
By ADAM MILLER

January 3, 2003 -- Nearly 16 months after the Sept. 11 attacks, the displaced residents of 125 Cedar St. - the closest apartments to the Twin Towers - are finally back in their homes.

And the 39 tenants of the charming, century-old 12-story building that stands 300 feet from Ground Zero couldn't have been more ecstatic yesterday about finally reclaiming their beloved loft apartments.

Andy Jurinko and his wife, Pat Moore, were in their third-floor apartment when the two hijacked planes slammed into the World Trade Center.

The tower collapse blew out 15 windows in their apartment and left chunks of debris - including parts of one of the planes and a blasted-out computer monitor - along with mounds of dirt and dust.

"It feels wonderful and exciting to be back in our home," said Jurinko, 63, a painter.

"It is such a relief. We've been through so much. Our loft was like a minefield of glass, rocks, debris and dust. It was like a war zone."

Moore, a fashion designer, added: "It's fabulous to be back home. We've waited a long time for this day. It's amazing. We're just so grateful because we didn't know if we'd ever be allowed back."

Mark Scherzee, 51, a resident of the building since 1978, moved back into his penthouse apartment last week.

"It's great to be back because it feels like the end of uncertainty," said Scherzee, a lawyer. "I feel so relieved. But there's still a lot of cleaning to do."

The grateful tenants yesterday made state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver (D-Manhattan) an "honorary resident" for his work fighting to ensure the building will remain standing regardless what is built on Ground Zero.

At a press conference yesterday, Silver said the residents would be the "pillars of building a new community in downtown New York."

Many of the tenants, including Jurinko, were the original pioneers who took the once-derelict office building and turned it into a residential jewel with large lofts and low rents 25 years ago.

"This is a dream come true," said Gail Langsner, who moved back into her apartment Dec. 15.

"I'm just so glad to be back home. The force of the blast was tremendous. It was like an earthquake."

Mary Dierickx, who returned to her 11th-floor apartment Dec. 28, said she's "thrilled to be back."

"After all we've been through, it's terrific to be home," she said. "It's unbelievable."

http://www.nypost.com/photos/web01030319.jpg
BACK WHERE THEY BELONG:
Andy Jurinko and wife Pat Moore are thrilled to be living in their apartment again after their building at 125 Cedar St. was decimated by the Sept. 11 attacks.

DougGold
January 27th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Quote: from NYguy on 5:06 pm on Jan. 3, 2003
One thing I'm glad the article pointed out is that, with the new transportation infrastructure (trains, buses, improved subway), the WTC will become THE business address Downtown, if not in all of Manhattan. *The WTC will have a Grand Central and PA Bus Terminal all in one site...

I'm looking for clarification on something--whatever is built on the site, will it still be called the World Trade Center? I know most cities (at least in America anyway) have an office complex called a World Trade Center, and New York's was simply the most famous, but what exactly does it mean to be a WTC anyway? Is that an arbitrary title or is there some organization behind it?

NoyokA
January 27th, 2003, 05:30 PM
I would guess that it wouldnt, although 7 WTC is still 7 WTC despite the fact it is the first building to rise. The word "World" might find its way, but Trade Center I doubt.

TLOZ Link5
January 28th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Quote: from DougGold on 12:29 am on Jan. 27, 2003

I'm looking for clarification on something--whatever is built on the site, will it still be called the World Trade Center? I know most cities (at least in America anyway) have an office complex called a World Trade Center, and New York's was simply the most famous, but what exactly does it mean to be a WTC anyway? Is that an arbitrary title or is there some organization behind it?

"World Trade Center" is moroever an arbitrary title. *The PA had envisioned the Twin Towers being occupied by the world's great shipping firms, U.S. Customs, and large international corporations. *The first "World Trade Center" building was actually in New Orleans, but it was actually a pretty nondescript midrise office tower.

DougGold
January 28th, 2003, 05:25 PM
Actually I've just come across the official website from The World Trace Center Association, which coordinates the 300 WTCs around the world, with info on all the buildings in the association (at least I think all of them, I haven't delved too deep). The site's at http://iserve.wtca.org and I've copied a little info about them here:

WTCA Mission Statement
An organization that stands outside politics across national boundaries, in service to those who develop and facilitate international trade. With its unique global mission and membership, the WTCA has been a world leader in creating innovative service for international business.

WTCA History
The WTCA was established in 1970 to facilitate international trade by bringing those together exporters, importers and service providers. The first seeds of the international movement were sown in 1970 when the pioneer World Trade centers- Houston, New Orleans, New York and Tokyo and a number of World Trade center enthusiasts first organized a World Trade Centers Association.

The World Trade Centers Association (WTCA) is a not-for-profit, non-political association that fosters the WTC concept and develops inter-WTC cooperative programs. WTCA membership includes nearly 300 WTCs in almost 100 countries. Over 750,000 companies are affiliated with WTCA members worldwide.

About World Trade Centers
More than a building or an organization, a World Trade Center (WTC) brings together business government agencies involved in international trade, provides essential trade services and stimulates the economy of the region it serves. A WTC puts all the services associated with global commerce under one roof. A WTC address gives a business prime and continuous access and exposure to all the services, organizations and individuals essential for success in world trade. "A World Trade Center in any city is a business shopping center, complementing and supporting the existing services of private and government agencies", explains World Trade Center Association (WTCA) President, Guy F. Tozzoli.

The purpose of the World Trade Center is to have information available to businesses in a timely and coordinated manner. Exporting for companies increases because of the immediate accessibility to valuable expertise and energy created by a vibrant market place of international trade activity.