PDA

View Full Version : A Vertical Memorial at the WTC - www.memorialfirst.com

rootab
March 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
www.memorialfirst.com

A vertical approach to remembrance can be integrated into libeskind's spire, if the spire stays. Please read this short proposal and leave your comments. If you feel its appropriate, pass it on.

Eugenius
March 5th, 2003, 06:00 PM
I think that this proposal has some merit. *I was always a proponent of a vertical memorial. *However, unless you make the stairs extra wide, I don't see how you'd get a flow going.

Most people will be tired before they even get a half-way up the 110-story staircase, so to those who intend to climb all the way up the path will be clogged with exhausted visitors.

As long as this piece does not take the place of the office buildings, I would be all for it.

rootab
March 6th, 2003, 10:36 AM
They would be ceremonial stairs, easily accommodating people going up, down, and just sitting there...I imagine the landings of each floor, or every couple of floors becomes a stopping point.

Its good that people would get tired, that they would be unable to complete it. I wouldn't be able to do it.

Any word as to what the spire will contain other than the transmission antennas?

NYatKNIGHT
March 6th, 2003, 10:46 AM
Offices for the first 70 floors, restaurants and observation deck on top. The spire is not the memorial. I'd rather see your plan on the footprints, but it's alittle hard to visualize. What about a picture? I find myself drawn to the tall memorial concepts I've seen. A stairway to heaven is intriguing, but I just can't picture it....

rootab
March 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Two spires/towers then, one for trans antennas/office space and one memorial, is that too much?

As for a rendering, its not there yet, I'm one architect...I need help...I would love to get a group tegether to visualize this memorial for the spring competition.

www.amadobatour.com

chris
March 7th, 2003, 03:52 AM
rootab wrote: ...I'm one architect...

Are you a licensed architect?

Never short of an opinion, I haven't been fond of too many of the proposals I've seen. My opinion is also admittedly biased, I have a website for a proposal of my own:

http://www.nycsky.com

With that disclaimer, I'd like to say I find this one noteworthy. I'm particularly taken with this aspect:

> * *Each level will have an opening allowing
> * *visitors to pass their hand through the
> * *beam of light, the pierced beam shimmering
> * *with the gestures of the climbers...

I can vividly visualize this, and I feel it could create an effect not only quite arresting as a spectral display, but when viewed at a distance, would give people almost a shiver of awe when they realised what (the intervention of a person's hand into the path of the beam of light) was actually causing the effect.

Well done, rootab.

My one reservation about the proposal is that it excludes any type of elevator access. I fully appreciate the symbolic value of the stair climb, and the central significance of this feature in your design. My reservation stems from two down to earth concerns: Firstly, if the staircase is the only means of ascension, then one would have to be in peak physical shape to even dream of making such a pilgramage. A few of the WTC survivors were already confined to wheelchairs before September 11th even occured, not to mention those who have been sentenced to life in a wheelchair as a consequence of September 11th. Many of the surviving relatives of victims would not pocess the physical stature neccessary to complete such a climb. Even those who survived the climb down may not be up for it. Consider climbing down, say 50 floors, for your life is not the same as climbing up a flight of more than twice the distance. Secondly: Quite paradoxically, the memorial would create just the sort of potential death trap that new tall structures should be designed to avoid in the aftermath of September 11th. I think the Fire Department would be very opposed to such a proposal. This says nothing of how you would deal, paramedically, with the inevitable consequences of physical exaustion that would surly occur on a regular basis by those embarking on such a climb, not fully cognizant of the physical demand or their own limitations.

Those caveats aside, your proposal is quite an inspiring one. I wish you all the best.

(Edited by chris at 3:52 am on Mar. 7, 2003)

rootab
March 7th, 2003, 08:42 AM
thanks for your words. i would like to direct you to the third part of the website, "PROCESS". I think this section answers some your questions.

www.memorialfirst.com/process.asp

chris
March 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Oh, very good. No, I had not read that page.