PDA

View Full Version : WTC memorial contest begins April 28

NYguy
April 8th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Newsday...
WTC Memorial Contest To Begin April 28 *

By The Associated Press

The competition to design a World Trade Center memorial will be launched on April 28 and will be open to anyone in the world regardless of professional credentials, redevelopment officials said Tuesday.

Kevin Rampe, interim president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp., said a jury will be assembled shortly to select the winning design.

While the development corporation will hold forums for the public to express its "hopes and aspirations" for the memorial, the submissions will not be released, and public comment will not be solicited on individual designs, Rampe said.

"We felt it was critical to empanel a distinguished jury and entrust them with that responsibility to ensure the integrity of the design," he said at a breakfast meeting of Wall Street Rising, a downtown business group.

The development corporation and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the land, announced in February that they had chosen architect Daniel Libeskind's plan for the 16-acre trade center site.

The Libeskind plan designates a setting for the memorial, including the footprints of the twin towers. Rampe said the design "leaves an empty canvas upon which we will ask the best and the brightest in the world to create a memorial."

The competition will be open to anyone over 18 years old and will be advertised through a "global outreach campaign," Rampe said.

Participants will be able to download the design guidelines and register on the Web, he said. They will be charged a $25 submission fee.

The jury will review the submissions and choose "approximately five" finalists, who will each be given a stipend to develop their ideas further, Rampe said. The winning design will be chosen in the fall.

Rampe deflected a question about whether he was backing off the agency's self-imposed Sept. 11, 2003 deadline for choosing a memorial design, saying, "We've said from the beginning that the process is not going to be driven by dates.

It's going to be driven by getting the best possible result." The guidelines to be released April 28 will be based on the memorial program and mission statement that were developed by two committees that included victims' families and other interested parties.

Rampe noted that the program calls for "individual recognition of every victim, to make the footprints visible and to make provisions for a final resting place for all of the unidentified remains."

ZippyTheChimp
April 8th, 2003, 07:24 PM
This should produce a bumper crop of weirdness.

StevenRosenow
April 8th, 2003, 10:22 PM
I wish this "footprints" crap had never been started. What's next? If someone gets killed on a highway, that section has to get shut off on the basis of "nobody will ever drive where that person was killed."

I can just see the future of America if this is the kind of mentality we possess.

Kris
April 9th, 2003, 08:03 AM
April 9, 2003
Panel, Not Public, Will Pick Final 9/11 Memorial Design
By EDWARD WYATT

Officials overseeing the competition to design a memorial to victims of the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, said yesterday that the public would not be asked to comment on individual memorial designs, even after a handful of finalists are chosen.

The process, outlined yesterday by Kevin M. Rampe, the interim president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, and Anita F. Contini, a vice president, contrasts with the method used by rebuilding officials to select a winning design for the World Trade Center site.

In that instance, the development corporation conducted more than a dozen public hearings and solicited comments on individual designs throughout two rounds of the selection process. Rebuilding officials made frequent references to the "open, inclusive process."

In the memorial competition, however, it is not yet clear whether the public will see any of the designs before a winner is selected.

The memorial process as described by officials yesterday will involve the public, though. This summer, the development corporation will hold "public forums" where people can talk to members of the jury that will judge the competition about what elements they would like to see in the memorial.

But those forums are likely to be meetings of specific constituent groups rather than large public hearings, Mr. Rampe said. The jury will be appointed in the coming weeks.

Mr. Rampe and Ms. Contini would not comment on the potential members of the jury. But people close to the process said the jury members were likely to be drawn from the artistic and design professions and would probably include at least one relative of a person killed in the 9/11 attacks.

Mr. Rampe said the purpose of the public forums would be to "ensure that the jury has the benefit of knowing the public's aspirations when they review submissions and can consider those aspirations during the decision-making process," he said, speaking yesterday at a meeting sponsored by Wall Street Rising, a business improvement group.

"But I want to be very clear," he added. "Public comment will not be solicited on individual designs. We will entrust the jury with the ultimate responsibility to select a design, and once entrusted we must respect the jury's role in making the selection."

Some people who have closely followed the rebuilding process questioned the need for such secrecy. Nikki Stern, a member of the development corporation's Families Advisory Council, said yesterday that she believed members of the public should be able to express their "emotional reactions and needs" to the decision makers.

But she agreed that the decision about a winning design "needs to be made by a small group of people."

A memorial mission statement and program released earlier as part of a preliminary outline to guide development were created by committees that included victims' family members, downtown residents, emergency workers, arts professionals and others.

Asked whether the mayor or the governor would influence the selection of a winning design, as they did with the selection of Daniel Libeskind's design for the trade center site, Mr. Rampe said the jury would make the final selection.

"The designs will be judged against how well they give effect to the mission statement and program, as set forth in the competition guidelines," Mr. Rampe said.

Those guidelines will be released on April 28. It is expected that a winning design will be selected by the second anniversary of the attacks, Mr. Rampe said, but he added that the selection "will not be driven by dates; it will be driven by the best possible result."

The memorial competition will be open to "anyone, anywhere, without regard to nationality or professional accreditation," Mr. Rampe said, as long as entrants are 18 years or older. A required $25 submission fee will go toward building the memorial, he said.

In the late summer or early fall, the jury members will review the submissions without knowing the name or affiliation of the designer. The field will be narrowed to "approximately five" finalists, Mr. Rampe said. Finalists will be given a stipend by the development corporation to develop their concepts further before a winner is selected.

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

NYatKNIGHT
April 9th, 2003, 11:43 AM
I want to be on that jury....or at least tamper with it. ;)

Too bad we won't be able to see the bumper crop of weirdness.

Eugenius
April 10th, 2003, 07:21 PM
I'm glad they are instituting a $25 charge to enter. *Basically this weeds out the bizzarro morons. *In the event they still choose to enter, we will happily pocket their cash.

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 04:24 PM
The Gotham Gazette has been great about hosting online chats with players in the rebuilding process. *The latest, to happen today, would have featured Julie Menin, the token Lower Manhattan resident on the Memorial Competition jury.
I submitted the following question to the Gotham Gazette on 4/22/03 for consideration during the chat.

Julie-
From past public forums, there seemed to be a considerable component of everyday people that wished the Memorial design would inform the rebuilding effort.* Understanding this ideal approach has slipped through our collective fingers, how malleable is Liebeskind's design with regard to the memorial, ie. "Will you as a jury consider designs that demand a compromise with the master plan, or only those that fit in place like a perfect afterthought?"

Much to my surprise the forum was cancelled with this response:

Chat Cancelled
We have been forced to cancel Thursday's online chat with Julie Menin, a member of the "jury" that will judge the memorials for 9/11, because the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation told her she is not allowed to speak with the public about the competition. Our calls and e-mails to representatives of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation were not returned.

Any thoughts?

NYatKNIGHT
April 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM
This whole jury thing is very suspicious, but I'm not surprised based on the secretive tone of the process as reported in the articles above.

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 04:32 PM
I can understand why jury members should not be allowed to get into the political debate. It makes it too easy for them to be prey to slandering and pressure from any number of interest groups thereby corrupting the process.

As far as your question is concerned, I think that the debate over whether the redevelopement should fit into the memorial as the perfect after thought of vice versa has pretty much been decided upon at this point.

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 04:45 PM
It is understandable keeping the jury 'protected'- I guess my question is more about Liebeskind being the defacto 'Art Director' ...Stylist if you will. *Surely no memorial will stand a chance unless it can compete with the harsh angularity of the masterplan.

I guess this is what the competitors must take into account, rather than a more pure approach to remembrance.

NYatKNIGHT
April 24th, 2003, 04:53 PM
My guess is that there are very few memorial designs that can't be accommodated by the site. And I would bet if there is some design out there that blows everyone away and the overall plan simply needs to be tweeked to make it work, he probably could do that.

Have you seen any good memorial ideas that won't fit, Jasonik? Or do you just not like Libeskind's plan and are looking for a way to change it?

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 04:59 PM
The memorial space is the size of 4 city blocks. Given how much downtown currently clashes with itself from block to block, I doubt if it will be a requirement from the memorial to aesthetically compliment the museum. In a way, the musuem is so unusual that in becomes a blank wall. It goes equally as well with neo-classicial, baroque, minimalist, asian or any other influence.

Of course, it all depends on how the jury sees it.

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I agree that a phenomenal design would be accommodated by Liebeskind, I just wanted to hear it from the LMDC. *
No, I don't really like the Liebesind plan, not because of the actual layout, but all the gimmicky stuff, (what a salesman.)
I hope that some visionary soul will sober us all with a breathtaking design, provided that things haven't been finalized prohibitively.

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Are you thinking of the memorial as being a large building or more of an outdoor thing?

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM
It seems that size employed judiciously could enhance the experience of a memorial to this specific event. Judging from the current slated site, anything 'Monumental' in scale would look squeezed in, or out as the case may be.

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Again, it is 4 city blocks covering the site of the original twin towers and the Vista hotel. You could basically fit the 2 THINK lattice towers in there.

NYatKNIGHT
April 24th, 2003, 05:25 PM
For visual aid....

http://renewnyc.org/images/plan_des_images/selected_sig1.jpg

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 05:40 PM
I concede the overall site is not small, but with those angles offending the space it just seems ... where is the breathing room?
My impression is that it really is all about those footprints being left bare. Sad how everyone glommed onto that one.
Where is the buildable footprint? *If there is one it is pinched by the exposed slurry wall.

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 05:51 PM
I've got to say, even with the offending angles the memorial site is more than large enough to accomodate a very elaborate and successful design. I mean really, how big does the memorial have to be?

At some point it comes down to diminishing returns. The whole site could've been given over the memorial and it could have been filled up to the point of the offsite buildings crowding it.

NoyokA
April 24th, 2003, 06:06 PM
In a way, the musuem is so unusual that in becomes a blank wall.

I agree with this, JM.

Jasonik I agree that the design competition might just result in something over the top, it would be better if it was left as a breather.

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Each group is territorial, I'm just trying to claim some back for the memorial folks. *
At the LMDC public forum at Pace U. specific to the memorial, we were told that the winning memorial design would inform the planning in some way. *I for one have not forgotten, but how about the other 400 people? *I hope there will be something about this in the competition brief.
Is the museum really set in stone? *It could have a more direct dialogue with the memorial.

NoyokA
April 24th, 2003, 06:26 PM
IMO negative space is the best dialogue, but realistically that would never fly.

JMGarcia
April 24th, 2003, 06:26 PM
I doubt if the museum is anywhere near being set in stone. I am sure a compelling memorial design that would require it to change (but not be eliminated) would be seriously considered.

The Museum does provide a very useful function. It acts as a buffer between the memorial and the commerical/retail/pedestrian/transit space.

Jasonik
April 24th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Stern, IMO?

Gulcrapek
April 24th, 2003, 07:11 PM
"In My Opinion"

ZippyTheChimp
May 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Public Forum

I received a flyer in the mail, but only website info I can find is an event calendar.

http://www.renewnyc.com/Participate/EventsCalendar.asp

Here's the info:

Public forum with the competition jury members at

Tribeca Performing Arts Center
Borough of Manhattan Community College
199 Chambers Street (at Greenwich St)
Wednesday, May 28
6 - 9PM

Comments can be sent to LMDC by
email at http://www.renewnyc.org

snail mail
LMDC Public Comment
1 Liberty Plaza 20 floor
New York, NY *10006

fax 212-962-241

Event will be webcast live at the LMDC website.

NoyokA
May 27th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Already more than 5,000 people from 71 countries have registered to participate in the competition, the deadline is June 30th.

Offtopic, Americans rush to build memorials to 9/11:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2003-05-21-memorial-cover_x.htm

NYguy
May 28th, 2003, 09:09 AM
Time for more griping...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/story/87315p-79612c.html

BrooklynRider
May 28th, 2003, 11:09 AM
I agree with the sentiments expressed in the Daily News article. *I like a park at grade level. *Climbing down to the park or up to an esplanade (as proposed by THINK) does enhance the gulf between Lower Manhattan proper and BPC.

ZippyTheChimp
May 28th, 2003, 12:00 PM
I suspect that many of the people complaining about access through the site are relating it to their experiences with the old site. The walk along Liberty will be to Greenwich, not Church; along West it will be to Fulton, not Vesey.

We're in a rectangular borough. How often do we get diagonal access?

The isolation of BPC is more related to the configuration of West St.

JMGarcia
May 28th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Exactly Zippy. The location of the pit is exactly the site of the original towers and the Vista. How many people walked through the towers (rather than just into them) on their way somewhere else.

Ever since LTTC, I've really realized that people just cannot visualize things very well.

NYatKNIGHT
May 28th, 2003, 12:55 PM
There sure are a lot of complainers down there. Their neighborhood and access will be far better than it ever was. Besides, you shouldn't be able to cut through a Memorial to get to work, even at grade.

NYguy
May 28th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I wasn't a *fan of the sunken memorial in the beginning, but now that its what we're getting I can live with it. *If done properly, it can be similar to Rockefeller Plaza. *

Dave Stanke, who lives on Liberty St., agreed, saying, "The [biggest] number of visitors to the memorial are going to be people who live and work down here, and if [they] ... hate it, is that the kind of memorial you want?"

Well, he's completly wrong on that. *The biggest number of visitors by far will come from tourists.

JMGarcia
May 28th, 2003, 08:17 PM
I personally don't care if its sunken, street level, or floating as long as it isn't some bombastic shrine to the pain of the victim's families rather than *something for the actual victims.

I just don't want whatever it is to be in my face day in and day out and I think putting it below street level helps that.

At best it could be some magnificent sunken gardens and I'm still optimistic about it.

NoyokA
May 28th, 2003, 08:35 PM
"Floating" that gives me an idea JM. Thanks for the thought, and by the way can I borrow $25

(Edited by Stern at 7:36 pm on May 28, 2003)

Fabb
May 30th, 2003, 04:43 AM
May 30, 2003

Jury for Sept. 11 Memorial Is Facing Spirited Lobbying
By EDWARD WYATT

An intense lobbying effort is under way, both in public and behind the scenes, to influence the jury that will choose the design for a memorial at the World Trade Center site.

A group of family members of victims of the Sept. 11 attack that serves as an advisory council to rebuilding officials met with the jury this week. Former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani has been promised a similar private session, according to two rebuilding officials, who said that Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Gov. George E. Pataki and board members of the lead rebuilding agency will also be offered meetings with the jury.

Publicly, firefighters, downtown residents and business leaders have begun to push to have their desires represented in the memorial. Their wish lists encompass issues as diverse as easy pedestrian access across the site and specific recognition in the memorial for uniformed rescue workers.

Even two directors of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the lead rebuilding agency, have begun lobbying the jury to do away with one central aspect of the overall site design made by the architect Daniel Libeskind, the sunken pit, bounded by the trade center's foundation walls, that is to serve as the setting for the memorial.

All these efforts are taking place just as the memorial competition begins, at least a month before the 13-member jury starts to review any designs. But the lobbying also comes barely a month after officials overseeing the memorial pledged to try to keep the process clear of the political pressures that shaped the selection of the Libeskind site design.

It is not uncommon for members of a jury in a design competition to hear from interested groups, particularly in a situation as laden with emotion as a terrorist bombing.

Edward T. Linenthal, a professor of religion and American culture at the University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, who has studied and written about memorials, said yesterday that the jury for the Oklahoma City National Memorial received significant guidance from family members of victims and from survivors of the bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. "I don't think it politicized it at all," he said.

Yet Mr. Pataki's influence over the selection of Mr. Libeskind is still fresh in the minds of many people who have followed the rebuilding. Mr. Pataki pushed for Mr. Libeskind over the other finalist, the Think team, even though Think was favored by a committee of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation's board.

Kevin Rampe, interim president of the development corporation, said he believed that the jury would be independent in its assessments of the designs in the competition. He added that a conscious effort was made to conduct all the meetings between constituent groups and the jury before design submissions begin to be accepted on June 9. The end of the submission period is June 30; a design is to be chosen in October.

Matthew Higgins, chief operating officer at the development corporation, said the guidelines laid out by the agency for the competition were flexible enough to encompass a variety of approaches and technologies. Therefore, he said, officials do not want the jury to feel bound by what has been done at other memorials.

Members of the jury, too, have made clear that they intend to consider every submission, even those that do not strictly comply with the official guidelines for the placement and content of the memorial.

That has led some interest groups to become more vocal in their calls for attention. Two development corporation board members, Carl Weisbrod and Madelyn Wils, have been pushing for some accommodation to Mr. Libeskind's design for the site to allow residents and downtown workers to easily cross the memorial site.

At a public hearing before jury members on Wednesday night, Mr. Weisbrod, who is president of the Alliance for Downtown New York, a business group, asked the jury to consider memorial designs that place the memorial at ground level, rather than 30 feet below ground, as Mr. Libeskind has designed it.

Those calls are expected to be repeated on Thursday, when advisory councils of downtown residents and others meet with the jury.

Also at the public hearing, jury members heard repeated, forceful calls from firefighters and their supporters for separate recognition on the memorial of uniformed rescue workers who died at the trade center. Previously, a committee that drafted the memorial "mission statement" agreed that it wanted all the lives lost to be honored equally.

Several family members of victims who met with the jury on Tuesday addressed that issue, with some urging that the memorial note affiliations with the Fire or Police Department and others urging that jury members look at the mission statement for guidance on the decision.

Many family members and some jury members became quite emotional during the meeting, according to two people who attended, as many family members told about their relatives who were killed.

Copyright 2003*The New York Times Company

Jasonik
May 30th, 2003, 07:47 PM
For Immediate Release
May 30, 2003

Nancy Poderycki/Michele McManus**LMDC**(212) 587-9339

LOWER MANHATTAN DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION ANNOUNCES FINAL NUMBER OF REGISTRANTS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER SITE MEMORIAL COMPETITION

Over 13,000 Registrants

All Fifty States and 94 Countries Represented

Largest Number of Registrants for a Design Competition in US History
The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation today announced that 13,683 prospective participants from 94 nations and all fifty states have registered for the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition.* The competition is being administered by LMDC to select a memorial to honor the victims of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center and the September 11, 2001 attacks.* The registration period for the competition began on April 28, 2003 with the launch of an outreach campaign that included the announcement of the competition in 22 languages on two occasions and the placement of advertisements in more than 60 publications worldwide.*** With the close of registration yesterday at 5:00 PM EDT, the final number of registrants far exceeds that of any other design competition in United States history.*
LMDC Chairman, John C. Whitehead said, "We had expected significant interest in the memorial competition, but this response has been extraordinary.* It underscores the strong feelings of not only artists, designers and architects, but, more importantly, men and women of all ages around the globe who may not be professionals yet wish to participate in this most important undertaking.* We thank each and every one of them for their efforts and wish them the best in succeeding to the finals."
LMDC Interim President Kevin M. Rampe said, “The overwhelming response to this competition—over 13,000 registrants from 94 of the world’s nations—ensures that we will see many diverse visions for the World Trade Center Site memorial design. *In the coming months our distinguished jury will embark on the difficult task of evaluating these proposals and selecting a final design that appropriately honors the victims of these tragic events.”
Memorial design proposals will be accepted from registered participants from June 9, 2003 through the deadline of June 30, 2003 at 5:00 PM EDT.* *All proposals will be evaluated by the 13 member memorial jury comprised of individuals representing various points of view, including world renowned artists and architects, a family member, a Lower Manhattan resident and business owner, representatives of the Governor and Mayor, and other prominent arts and cultural professionals.**
The jury will evaluate proposals in a two stage process based on how well they express the mission statement and program, as set forth in the competition guidelines. The mission statement describes the purpose of the memorial, while the program describes the principles that the memorial must embody and the elements it must feature to be considered in the competition.* During the first stage, members of the jury will review anonymous submissions.* During the second stage, finalists will be asked to further develop their design proposals, which the LMDC will reveal to the public while the jury continues to deliberate.* *A final design for the competition will be selected by fall 2003.
LMDC is also conducting an outreach campaign titled, “Public Perspectives” to ensure that the members of the jury are informed of the public’s hopes and aspirations for the memorial.** Over 700 members of the public shared their comments directly with jury members at a public forum held on May 28, 2003 in Lower Manhattan. **A webcast of this forum is also available for viewing via LMDC’s website, www.RenewNYC.com (http://www.RenewNYC.com) and comments are continuing to be accepted through online comment forms and regular mail.* *LMDC is also conducting targeted outreach to family members and Lower Manhattan community groups and organizations, ensuring that all residents, businesses, workers and survivors have an opportunity to share their views on the memorial.

NYguy
June 1st, 2003, 01:36 AM
Here's a photo of a small WTC memorial at the PA Bus terminal...

http://www.pbase.com/image/17315419/large.jpg

NoyokA
June 2nd, 2003, 10:17 AM
NEWSDAY:

13,000 Register For WTC Memorial Contest
By Katia Hetter
Staff Writer

May 30, 2003, 3:37 PM EDT

Some 13,683 people registered for the trade center memorial competition, coming from all 50 states and 94 countries, redevelopment officials said Friday.

The competition has attracted the largest number of registrants for a design competition in history, although it remains to be seen how many people submit designs for a memorial, said Kevin Rampe, interim president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp.

"Above all else, be bold, be daring, be unconventional," said Rampe, speaking to the thousands of would-be designers.

In a gesture to firefighters and rescuers lobbying to have their workplaces listed, Rampe said nothing in the competition rules probihits -- or requires -- the listing of jobs or job titles.

"How to do so is best left to the creative minds of the thousands of designers, and ultimately, to the jury," he said, responding to reports of firefighters, victims' family members and residents loybbing the jury members.

Even so, Rampe said Gov. George Pataki, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Mayor Rudolph Giuliani would meet with the 13-member jury, which includes Vietnam Veterans Memorial designer Maya Lin.

The jurors will sort through thousands of designs and select five finalists sometime this summer. Those designs will be made public, even as finalists are given stipends to further develop their ideas. The jury is expected to select a winner in October.

They will have their work cut out for them. Within the United States, 11,370 people registered their intent to compete. New York had the most registrants of any state -- 4,598 people -- followed by California, with 1,151 registrants, and New Jersey, with 922 registrants.

By comparison, 2,500 people registered for the Pentagon memorial competition, and 1,126 submitted entries that met the competition rules. Manhattan architects Julie Beckman and Keith Kaseman won that competition, with benches and trees for each victim of the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon.

The Oklahoma City memorial competition, held to honor the victims of the bombing at the Alfred Murrah Federal Office Building, attracted 4,800 registrants and 627 submissions. Butzer Design Partnership, now based in Cambridge, Mass., won that competition.

The current crop of competitors, who had to register by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, can submit their design proposals from June 9 through June 30.

They must design their memorial proposals with the 4.7 acres designated for the memorial by architect Daniel Libeskind, who won the competition to redesign the 16-acre trade center site. Libeskind, under contract to the LMDC, will assist the winning designer to integrate the design into the site.

For more information on the competition, go to www.wtcsitememorial.org.

NoyokA
June 19th, 2003, 02:36 PM
The Villager:

Jury panel selected for 9/11 memorial at Trade Center

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation recently announced that it has appointed a 13-member jury to select the 9/11 memorial for Ground Zero and that the design guidelines will be released April 28. The jury includes Maya Lin, best known for her design of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C., as a 21-year-old architecture student, and also Michael Van Valkenburgh, a landscape architect who lives in the Village. *
It will cost $25 to enter and details will be at www.wtcsitememorial.org starting April 28.

Applicants will have until May 29 to register. Between June 9 and June 30, the L.M.D.C. will accept boards of 30 x 40 inches depicting each proposal. Sometime in late August or early September the jury will narrow the choices down to between three and five finalists, who will be given a stipend and asked to make revisions. A series of public forums will be held to take comments on the proposals. By late October or early November a final design will be selected.

The jury members are:

Paula Grant Berry, whose husband David Berry was killed in the South Tower. She has served on the L.M.D.C. Families Advisory Council and has worked as an executive in publishing and marketing at Doubleday, the Economist and Newsweek.

Susan Freedman, who is president of the Public Art Fund. She serves on the board of several cultural institutions including the Museum of Modern Art. * * *

Vartan Gregorian, president of the Carnegie Corporation and the former president of Brown University. He was also president of the New York Public Library from 1981-1989 and is the author of "Emergence of Modern Afghanistan, 1880-1946."

Patricia Harris, deputy mayor for administration in New York City. She managed Bloomberg LP's corporate communications department, before Mayor Michael Bloomberg took her with him when he became mayor.

Maya Lin, who in addition to the veterans' memorial has also designed the civil rights memorial in Montgomery, Ala. She is currently working on a chapel for the Children's Defense Fund, a 20,000-sq.-ft. bakery for the Greystone Foundation in Yonkers and several art installations around the country.

Michael McKeon, managing director of Mercury Public Affairs. He was Gov. George Pataki's chief spokesperson before, during and after the Sept. 11 attacks and helped plan the Sept. 11 anniversary ceremonies last year. He was also a reporter at several papers in New York.

Julie Menin, founder and president of Wall Street Rising, a Downtown business group founded after 9/11. The group has organized several projects, including Art Downtown, an exhibit that included many of the world's most famous contemporary artists. Menin owns Vine Restaurant on Broad St. and lives in Lower Manhattan.

Enrique Norten, founder of Taller Enrique Norten Arquictectos, S.C. He has won many architecture awards and currently teaches architecture at the University of Pennsylvania. The Brooklyn Public Library selected him to design its Visual and Performing Arts Library.

Martin Puryear, an artist who won the MacArthur Foundation Grant. He recently completed a large, stainless steel sculpture for the J. Paul Jetty Museum in Los Angeles.

Nancy Rosen, who has chaired the Art in Public Places grants panel for the National Endowment for the Arts. She founded Nancy Rosen Incorporated, which worked on the first phase of the public art program in Battery Park City.

Michael Van Valkenburgh, who founded his own landscape architecture firm and lives in the Village. He has won several architecture awards and his projects include Allegheny Riverfront Park and designing a segment of the Hudson River Park. His firm was recently retained by the 14th St.-Union Sq. Business Improvement District to lead a community-input-driven redesign for the north end of Union Sq.

Lowery Stokes Sims, executive director of the Studio Museum in Harlem. Prior to joining the museum in 2000, she was curator of modern art at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

James Young, professor and chairperson of the department of Judaic and Near Eastern studies at the University of Massachusetts. He is the author of "At Memory's Edge: After-images of the Holocaust in Contemporary Art and Architecture."

In addition, David Rockefeller, the former head of Chase Manhattan Bank, will serve as an honorary member of the jury. Rockefeller was one of the most important advocates for the construction of the World Trade Center and also built Chase Plaza in Lower Manhattan during the fiscal crisis in the 1970s.

Monica Iken, whose husband was killed in the attacks, said she would have liked to see more people from other countries on the jury. "We can't just have people from New York," she said. "There's 91 other countries" that lost people in the attack.

Iken said the L.M.D.C. made the right decision by not honoring differently the people killed rescuing others. "We're all equal," she said. "My husband I know was saving someone else and he wasn't a fireman. It should be one memorial."

Tom Johnson, the only L.M.D.C. board member who lost a relative in the attack, said the museum will be the place to tell the heroic stories, not the memorial. "There needs to be one memorial and no hierarchies of victims," he said.

Lindsay at WhilteyGr
June 24th, 2003, 04:48 PM
I have an odd question that hopefully someone in this forum could help me with. We are supporting a client who has shown extraordinary interest in the WTC projects. We submitted a design for the building and have finished work for the memorial. The only problem is that we failed to register before the deadline. My question; Is there a possibility that we could team up with a group that has registered for the design competition? And if so, does anyone have knowledge of any team or firms that have registered and would be willing to help with our predicament? *Also, Is there any other possibility that someone has Knowledge of? *Please respond with any comments to... Al@whitleygroup.com * * THANKS!

TLOZ Link5
June 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Yeesh...if they list the names, why not do it alphabetically and also denote where each victim worked?

Harmonicaman
June 26th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Lindsay - I'm afraid that it's too late now to enter designs into the WTC Memorial Competition. *The submission deadline is Monday, June 30th. *I shipped out my entry on Thursday, June 25 and I hope it arrives in good shape on Friday.

BTW, every response to this topic has been very interesting reading and I enjoyed everyone's diverse opinions concerning the emotionally charged issue of what kind of memorial should be built at the WTC site. *

I also appreciated the item reprints - nice to see the most relevant news all in one place!

NyC MaNiAc
June 28th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Good Luck Harmonicaman on your submission, and everyone else who participated in the WTC memorial contest!

Kris
July 1st, 2003, 10:54 AM
July 1, 2003

Plans Pour In for Memorial at 9/11 Site

By EDWARD WYATT

For months the talk about the World Trade Center site has concerned office space, building designs, street grids, transit hubs and financing, but yesterday attention turned to what many people first thought of immediately after Sept. 11 — a memorial to the dead.

Yesterday was the last day for entries in the competition to design the memorial to the 3,022 victims of the attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania, and the 1993 trade center bombing. By the 5 p.m. deadline, thousands of proposals, enough to fill a caravan of delivery trucks, had been received at the nondescript, six-story warehouse at 515 West 36th Street in Manhattan. Entries started being accepted on June 9, and the last ones trickled in for more than an hour after the deadline.

The contest is expected to be the largest design competition ever, exceeding even the 1,421 designs submitted for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. Little more is likely to be heard about the proposals until September, when about five finalists are to be announced.

Entrants are forbidden to discuss their proposals, and the jury will review the submissions anonymously in an attempt, rebuilding officials say, to avoid the kind of political pressure that so infused the selection of Daniel Libeskind's overall design for the site.

While the winning entry, to be selected in October, will serve as the centerpiece of an attraction that is expected to draw millions of visitors each year to Lower Manhattan, it also must resolve several issues that have not become any less pressing with the passing months.

Among them is whether Mr. Libeskind's setting, with its exposed foundation walls and recessed memorial site, can be reconciled with the wishes of the victims' families, downtown residents, businessmen, architects, developers and politicians. All have tried to shape the site's future to fit their own desires.

"This is a unique process that will bring together all the lessons we learned as a result of the site planning," the president of the development corporation, Kevin Rampe, said in an interview yesterday. "The result will be a function of what we have said our intent was all along, that the memorial will be the centerpiece of all our efforts."

Rebuilding officials have insisted that the winning memorial must be faithful to Mr. Libeskind's plan. Several officials acknowledge privately, though, that the memorial design itself is likely to control many if not most of the decisions about the future of the site's development.

"The whole debate will change in six months," one rebuilding official said. "Once there is a concrete memorial plan, people will expect that to be maintained, and the question facing all of the other developments on the site will be, `Does it work in relation to the memorial?' "

That may be why many insiders predicted that even though the contest for the overall design caused emotional upheaval and political jockeying, the difficulties would only increase as the memorial decision drew closer.

That process has already started. Entrants in the memorial competition were encouraged by jury members to think broadly, and several people who entered the competition said privately that they hoped to undo elements of the Libeskind plan.

Relatives of Sept. 11 victims, believed to be speaking with one voice soon after the attacks, have splintered into several groups. Relatives and friends of firefighters dominated a recent public hearing on the memorial with their insistence that rescue workers get separate recognition in a memorial.

Another group of family members has campaigned for the preservation, "from bedrock to infinity," of all of the area within the trade center's foundation walls. That would exclude new development from more than half the site's 16 acres, not only at the surface but also underground, where much of the transportation system is already being rebuilt.

That group, known as the Coalition of 9/11 Families, which wants the federal government to take over the memorial development, also enlisted former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani to lobby for its case.

Downtown residents and businessmen, including two directors of the development corporation, have pushed for moving the memorial from 30 feet below ground level, where Mr. Libeskind would have it, to ground level. That would allow residents and downtown workers to cross the site easily to reach the planned transportation hub, retail stores and office buildings.

Larry A. Silverstein, the leaseholder on the planned commercial space at the site, has publicly said he intends to work with Mr. Libeskind, but behind the scenes he has aggressively pushed to alter Mr. Libeskind's design and has proposed moving around some elements of the site plan, including the 1,776-foot tower that is its dominant element. Although construction of those buildings will not be completed for years, their locations must be settled soon to provide for the completion of underground structures, like concourses to move passengers around the transportation complex.

Broader questions also continue to hang over the site. Gov. George E. Pataki and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, who have agreed on little in recent months, have resumed a public dispute over which entity will have jurisdiction over the site, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the property, or the city, whose economic future will be greatly influenced by the rebuilding effort.

What rebuilding officials fear most, they say, is that when the finalists are presented to the public in the fall, the public will spurn them all, much as occurred a year ago when six initial site plans for the trade center property were rejected as unimaginative.

The problem is compounded by the requirements of the competition. Entrants were restricted to displaying their design concepts in two-dimensional images on a single, rectangular piece of presentation board, measuring about 30 inches by 40 inches.

Whether such simple drawings will capture what it will be like to stand within the 4.7-acre memorial site is a very real question. The development corporation official overseeing the competition, Anita Contini, has spoken frequently about the breathtakingly simple drawings used by Maya Lin in her winning entry for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and the difficulty that many people had translating them into an understanding of what the memorial would become.

Jasonik
July 1st, 2003, 12:00 PM
Mine was signed for at 2:45 PM. I called three different courier services who were all swamped because of the deadline, it was touch and go right up to the last minute. *I'd like to thank Kinko's in Harvard Square, and Kevin at Millenium couriers for making it happen...Whew!
:)

Good luck to the jury, and everyone who entered. *New York recieved a ton of love yesterday, I'm sure there is something in the pile that will take our breath away.

NoyokA
July 1st, 2003, 12:03 PM
Are you allowed to tell us a little something about your proposal?

Will it be modern or archetypal?

Jasonik
July 1st, 2003, 12:38 PM
Yes on both counts; re-establishing monumental pride in civic architecture within the western cannon, a powerful symbol on a multitude of levels, believe me I wish I could show you a rendering... in time.

SunsetWorks
July 1st, 2003, 01:11 PM
My UPS overnight from Dallas was signed for at 10:30 AM, thank goodness for web tracking. Dropped it off Saturday afternoon at a UPS store with one of the latest area Saturday pickups.

I suspect only a handful of submissions arrived the first week.

Since I am a 2D artist and not an architect most of mine were flat layouts and diagrams. One sample view did have some dimension using a web design program.

Again, this board was very helpful.

Harmonicaman
July 1st, 2003, 04:49 PM
I shipped my submission out FedEx from Upstate NY on Wednesday, June 25 and it was signed for on Friday!

The medium I chose for my artwork was pencil and colored pencil. *I blow up some of the images and site plans supplied by LMDC (in their competition rules package) and drew my designs over these templates utilizing a light table. * I also made many trips to the copy shop to resize ideation sketches before making the final renderings.

Member Stern will probably not like my proposal too much. *With all the wild angles and fancy architecture that Daniel Libeskind wants to erect around the "Bathtub", I chose a very conservative and minimalist design approach. *It is dignified and unmistakably symbolic, in contrast to Daniel's planned structures.

I attempted to design something that satisfied the required program elements without violating the design tenets of Feng Shui or the guiding principles of K.I.S.S.

ZippyTheChimp
July 1st, 2003, 06:38 PM
Good luck to all of you. Hopefully, one way or another, we'll get to see your designs this fall.

Chicagoan
July 17th, 2003, 11:04 PM
Record Number of WTC Designs Submitted
Thu Jul 17,11:42 AM ET *Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - A record 5,200 groups from around the world submitted proposals for a memorial to the victims of the World Trade Center attack, officials announced Thursday.

The submissions came from every U.S. state except Alaska and 62 nations, said Kevin Rampe, president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. The submissions are a record in a design competition for a memorial, corporation officials said. The previous record was 1,421 submissions for the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C.

"The tremendous response this petition has received from individuals at home and abroad is a true testament of the unity people from around the world have demonstrated since the Sept. 11 attacks," Gov. George E. Pataki said.

Until a 13-member jury chooses a handful of finalists in the fall, the competition will be veiled in secrecy to protect the integrity of the process.

Applicants had to mail their designs to a warehouse where they were carefully checked for anthrax, chemical agents and explosives. The submissions were then shipped to a second, undisclosed location where the jury will review them.

The competition was open to anyone in the world over the age of 18 who paid a fee of $25. Applicants had until June 30 to submit their designs.

The memorial is to include references to the Feb. 26, 1993, bombing of the trade center as well as the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in New York, at the Pentagon (news - web sites) and in Pennsylvania.

It is to be built on a 4.7-acre site encompassing the so-called "footprints" of the twin towers.

The jurors chosen to pick a design includes Vietnam Veterans' Memorial designer Maya Lin and Paula Grant Berry, whose husband, David, was killed at the trade center.

They will choose approximately five finalists in September and will select a final design later in the fall.

The applicants will be anonymous until the finalists are announced.

Kris
July 18th, 2003, 06:45 AM
July 18, 2003

5,200 Designs Submitted for 9/11 Memorial

By EDWARD WYATT

The competition to design the World Trade Center memorial to the victims of the Sept. 11 attack has attracted 5,200 entries, organizers said yesterday, making it by far the largest open design competition of its kind.

The entries, which will be judged anonymously and narrowed to about five finalists in September, came from 62 countries and every state but Alaska. The total is more than three times the number submitted for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial competition and eight times the number submitted for the Oklahoma City National Memorial.

The finalists' designs will be displayed, and the designers will be allowed to make some revisions in the fall, said Kevin Rampe, the president of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, which is administering the competition. The winning entry is expected to be chosen in October. Those dates are flexible, however, Mr. Rampe said.

"Our desire has and always will be to have an exceptional memorial and to make sure the jury feels comfortable with the process," he said.

The $25 submission fee for the entries also generated the largest contribution to date for the recently established World Trade Center Memorial Foundation, which is intended to own, construct, operate and maintain the memorial and related structures at the trade center site.

Matthew Higgins, the chief operating officer of the development corporation, said the $130,000 in submission fees would be added to more than $600,000 that individuals and groups donated to the development corporation to help pay for the memorial.

Mr. Higgins said that the foundation is meant to provide private financing for the memorial, so that the development corporation's remaining money, received as part of the $21 billion federal aid package to New York, can be used for other rebuilding projects. Anita Contini, the development corporation vice president overseeing the competition, said she was "truly moved by the tremendous level of interest in this competition." Ms. Contini said that 40 percent of the 13,000 people who registered to submit designs followed through, a rate consistent with competitions of this kind.

Competitors were given specific instructions in how to structure their entries. Ms. Contini said that the 13-member jury would view all of the entries at least once to determine whether they comply with the guidelines and are suitable for further consideration.

Mr. Rampe added that while the memorial site has strict boundaries, an exceptional design that goes beyond those boundaries would be considered. "If we have to adjust the site plan in order to ensure that an appropriate and fitting memorial can be incorporated, we will do so," he said.

NYC8588
July 21st, 2003, 01:23 PM
how do you post images on this forum

Kris
July 21st, 2003, 01:44 PM
Look in the Forum Issues section.

NYguy
July 22nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
NY Post...

WTC FAMILY LEADER WALKS

July 22, 2003 -- The outspoken leader of a group of 9/11 families yesterday angrily pulled out of a powerful coalition of victims' relatives - saying its members had unfairly criticized Gov. Pataki over plans to build on the WTC's "footprints."

Monica Iken, founder of September's Mission, ripped leaders of the larger Coalition of 9/11 Families for their "name-calling" of Pataki in a Post story Sunday. In the article, Coalition members said Pataki was "duplicitous" because he broke his promise of protecting the site.

While Iken acknowledged that not all of the construction on the site had been discussed with victims' relatives, she said she was satisfied with the Port Authority's response to her concerns, and expected a written explanation from the agency.

The PA has said it is building emergency exits for a temporary PATH station on part of the site.

Bill Doyle, an advocate for relatives who blasted Pataki, blamed much of the controversy on the government failing to give information to the public.

TLOZ Link5
July 22nd, 2003, 07:34 PM
Good to know that some of the relatives can be reasonable.

Chicagoan
July 22nd, 2003, 08:58 PM
But I suppose to an extent I can understand the concerns of the Families, although I disagree with the manner with which they chose to express it.

It would be similar to dating someone for a considerable period of time and just before the two of you decide to make your relationship official, then you find out that the other person is/has been seing other people as recently as the night before.

The point is I think there was an expectation of faithfulness. I think that the whole "footprint" idea/issue is illogical and not bearing much fact, but nonetheless, it does have a powerful emotional dimension and the PA ignored it here.

Had there been some "consultation"/information given to the Families, I think things would have been different.

Jasonik
July 22nd, 2003, 10:23 PM
Thursday, 13 December, 2001, 17:11 GMT
Part five: Remembering the dead
By BBC News Online's Peter Gould in New York

[i]"I would like to see the footprints of the Twin Towers remain a void...simple squares left as a vacant space," says Carol Willis, at the Skyscraper Museum.

Find an earlier occurrence if you can, but I think this is the seed that grew into today's situation.

"Design by soundbite" *

TomAuch
July 22nd, 2003, 10:28 PM
That could of been it, but the reason why the footprint idea gained traction was not because it was being peddled by the families, but by Silverstein, and even moderate Pro-Rebuilders, as a compromise in order to assuage the Mega-Memorialists, who at the time, would accept nothing less than all 16 acres. Unfortunately, compromise can be deadly.

Jasonik
July 22nd, 2003, 11:01 PM
IMO it straightjacketed the memorial competition with a memorializing feature as prominent as the sunken plaza.

Public opinion percieves the empty footprints as a politically correct 'sensitive' element because of the families' backing and championing.

Undoubtedly this has influenced the competition entrants, the jurors, and will play a large part in the 2 month public phase of the competition.

certainly not an outsider (http://www.skyscraper.org/programs/pro_kickoff.htm)

NYguy
July 24th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Pols Seek a Separate Memorial

By Dan Janison

Democrats in the City Council sought yesterday to increase pressure on Gov. George Pataki to create a separate memorial for emergency officers who died responding to the World Trade Center attack.

A non-binding resolution calls on the Lower Manhattan Development Corp. to recognize each uniformed rescue worker killed Sept. 11, 2001, with agency, rank, badge number and unit.

"So far the powers that be have turned us down," said Councilman G. Oliver Koppell (D-Bronx), who's co-sponsoring the resolution with Councilman Tony Avella (D-Queens). The resolution was announced just hours before a gunman fatally shot Councilman James Davis, a Brooklyn Democrat, inside City Hall.

"While the World Trade Center memorial will honor all victims of the 9/11 attack," Koppell said, "it is fitting" that those who rescued thousands of others be honored in an "appropriate" way.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg and other leaders have supported the "Fallen Heroes Memorial" promoted by Fire Department Lt. John Finucane, chairman of an ad hoc group advocating the project.

"Every soul that perished that day is equally precious," Finucane said on the steps of City Hall. "We just want to make sure these brave men and women are never forgotten... Please put pressure on the governor to come to his senses."

But Lower Manhattan Development Corp. spokeswoman Joanna Rose replied that it's the work of an independent jury selected for memorial purposes.

"Neither the governor, the mayor or the LMDC will select the 9/11 memorial design," she said, "because we respect the integrity of the independent jury which has been entrusted with this important responsibility."

Harmonicaman
July 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM
IMHO

All this divisive infighting about what form the memorial will take is a bit silly and premature. *We don't even know yet what the final memorial will look like and yet it is already being trashed by special interest groups.

Maybe the jury will have the perspicacity to select a design which already addresses all these issues and the chosen design will actually be an acceptable honorarium to all the parties involved.

This is an obvious case of putting the cart before the horse. *The families and firefighter groups should really be a bit more patient and wait until the jury is in before complaining about the memorial design.

Wouldn't it be better to see what is actually being proposed for the World Trade Center Memorial before whining about it? *When the final designs are chosen, then these groups will have a chance to voice their concerns and recommendations for changes to the specific design elements which they have issues with. *Right know they really have no idea what they are whining about. *Doesn't this make sense?

Depending on the design chosen, this whole rancorous debate may turn out to totally unnecessary and a moot point!

JMGarcia
July 24th, 2003, 03:58 PM
This being NY, there is always somebody that is going to unhappy with something. I seriously doubt that the memorial will be accepted without controversy.

TAFisher123
July 24th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Maybe the jury will have the perspicacity to select a design.....

NICE!!

NoyokA
August 5th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Maybe Im biased, but I would like someone with personal connections to New York City to be selected, even though globally all people were affected.

http://www.renewnyc.org/images_WMS/postman.jpg

For Immediate Release
July 17, 2003

Matthew Higgins/Michele McManus *LMDC *(212) 962-2300

LOWER MANHATTAN DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION ANNOUNCES FINAL NUMBER OF SUBMISSIONS FOR THE WORLD TRADE CENTER SITE MEMORIAL COMPETITION

Largest Design Competition in History

Over 5,000 Submissions Received

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation today announced that 5,200 submissions have been received from 62 nations and 49 states for the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition, making it the largest design competition in history. *The competition, being administered by LMDC, was created to select a memorial to honor the victims of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center and the September 11, 2001 attacks. *

New York State Governor, George E. Pataki said, “The tremendous response this competition has received from individuals at home and abroad is a true testament of the unity people from around the world have demonstrated since the September 11th attacks. *As New Yorkers, we can be proud that thousands of individuals spent countless hours giving so much of themselves in order to pay tribute to and remember the heroism of our friends, family and neighbors. *I want to thank everyone who submitted a response and I am confident that, working together, we will build a memorial that is truly befitting of the heroism and enduring strength of the heroes who lost their lives that tragic day."

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said, "The outpouring of ideas from the national and international communities has been inspiring. It is this spirit of humanity that will enable us to honor and memorialize those we lost, and bring New York City from a period of healing into a period of remembrance and hope."

LMDC Chairman, John C. Whitehead said, "We had expected significant interest in the memorial competition, but this response has been extraordinary. *It underscores the strong feelings of not only artists, designers and architects, but, more importantly, men and women of all ages around the globe who may not be professionals but wished to participate in this most important undertaking. *We thank each and every one of them for their efforts."

LMDC President Kevin M. Rampe said, “Thanks to the unwavering support of Governor Pataki and Mayor Bloomberg, the World Trade Center Site Memorial Competition is by far the largest design competition in history. * I have full confidence that our jury will faithfully discharge the great responsibility with which they have been entrusted and that they will select a fitting and appropriate memorial that will make our nation proud.” *

All proposals will be evaluated by the 13 member memorial jury comprised of individuals representing various points of view, including world renowned artists and architects, a family member, a Lower Manhattan resident and business owner, representatives of the Governor and Mayor, and other prominent arts and cultural professionals. *The jury will evaluate proposals in a two stage process based on how well each design expresses the mission statement and program, as set forth in the competition guidelines. *During the first stage, members of the jury will review anonymous submissions. *During the second stage, finalists will be asked to further develop their design proposals, which the LMDC will reveal to the public while the jury continues to deliberate. * A final design for the competition will be selected by fall 2003.

To ensure that the members of the jury were informed of the public’s hopes and aspirations for the memorial, the LMDC organized a public outreach campaign called Public Perspectives. * The campaign included a mailing to all families of victims of the February 26, 1993 and September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, a large scale public forum on May 28, 2003 at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center at the Borough of Manhattan Community College, and targeted outreach initiatives to Lower Manhattan community groups and organizations, which ensured that all residents, businesses, workers and survivors are involved with the process. Earlier this month a compilation of all the comments received was delivered to each of the jurors. * * *

Freedom Tower
August 7th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I agree Stern. More people who actually live and work in the city should be involved. You have many people who have never even been to NYC questioning whether anything should be built at the site. I just think if someone designing or planning the site doesn't live there, doesn't work there, or has never been there, should at least have someone from the area help them out.

Kris
August 30th, 2003, 11:56 PM
August 31, 2003

THE NEW GROUND ZERO

There's Nothing So Closed as an Open Competition

By EDWARD WYATT

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2003/08/31/arts/wyatt.650.jpg

EVER since the effort to design the Vietnam Veterans Memorial made a star of a 21-year-old architecture student named Maya Lin, the open competition — one that invites all comers to submit proposals — has been the gold standard in selecting a design for a public memorial. So when officials overseeing the rebuilding of Lower Manhattan began to consider how to erect a homage to the victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, there was little question how they would structure the contest.

Now, however, as the jury that will pick the winning design for the World Trade Center memorial trudges through 5,200 entries — three times the number submitted for the Vietnam memorial in 1981 — it might seem that the purpose of the exercise has been turned on its head. For while an open, anonymous competition is intended to make sure that every entry receives a fair viewing, the flood of proposals ensures that hundreds or even thousands of entries are likely to get no more than a moment's glance from jurors. The panel reviewing proposals for a memorial to victims of the Sept. 11 attack on the Pentagon, for example, vowed to consider every submission. Yet the members acknowledge that some proposals — say, the full-scale, stainless steel model of an airplane mounted so that it would appear to be about to crash right into the Pentagon — were viewed for only the briefest of moments.

On the other end of the spectrum, many of the world's most esteemed artists and architects avoid such competitions altogether, given the cost of their time and the extremely long odds against winning. They typically prefer invited competitions, where the entrants are limited to those with professional expertise.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation, the agency that is overseeing the memorial competition, will not reveal how many of the 5,200 entries are from superstars and how many are from wannabes. It won't reveal much of anything, in fact. The jurors meet at an undisclosed location, and the competition entries have been shorn of any identifying information. Any artists who make statements that could be interpreted as promoting their entries risk being ejected from the contest.

This fall, the jury is expected to select five to eight finalists. But according to organizers, even those names may not be made public, at least not initially. The finalists may instead be notified privately, and then given more than $100,000 to transform their initial submissions — which by regulation were two-dimensional displays on a single 30-by-40-inch board — into proper three-dimensional models before the public sees them.

That move could help level the playing field for the less-well-financed finalists. But it also could protect the organizers of the memorial competition from the widespread condemnation that followed the unveiling of the initial designs for the World Trade Center site last summer. Those designs, which included only speculative notions of buildings represented by plain white blocks, were roundly rejected as unimaginative and ugly.

According to many who have managed or judged competitions in the past, inexperienced competitors often try to mimic the characteristics of previous winning designs, or to anticipate the submissions of other contestants. In effect, they end up fighting the last war. Maya Lin made just that point in an essay written in 1982. "I think the most important aspect of the design of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial was that I had originally designed it for a class I was taking at Yale and not for the competition," she wrote. Nor did she conduct extensive research about Vietnam or the war. "In that sense, I had designed it for me — or more exactly, for what I believed it should be. I never tried to second-guess a jury."

Artists who have responded to the call for a World Trade Center memorial, however, all lived through the aftermath of the attack on the World Trade Center, along with the rest of America and the world. With such a powerful common experience, then, how does an artist communicate a distinctive vision in what amounts to little more than a sketch?

Raymond Gastil, the executive director of the Van Alen Institute, a nonprofit architecture organization, said entries required what he called "a clear, bold gesture." Without one, he said, "there's just no way a jury is going to spend time with you." But if the World Trade Center jury spends even one minute with each entry, it would take two 40-hour work-weeks just to view them all, and longer to discuss which to keep. In fact, many proposals will get even less time, and people who have served on competition juries say that given the quality of some of the entries, that's appropriate.

"Talent is not distributed equally," said Terence Riley, the chief curator of the department of architecture and design at the Museum of Modern Art, who served on the Pentagon memorial jury. "You want to respect everyone's efforts. But once you begin looking through piles and piles of submissions, benchmarks begin to be established. There are projects that tend not to leave your mind, and others that are obviously not going to meet the standards of the best projects you've been seeing."

In the first round, a jury typically tries to eliminate 75 percent to 80 percent of the entries. Richard Andrews, the director of the Henry Art Gallery in Seattle, said that sophisticated juries could rule out some entries within 10 seconds. "But there will also be entries," he said, "where three or four of the jurors say they didn't see anything and one will say: `Look at it again. Here's what I found.' And it will be held over for a second round." That's when jurors really start debating and discussing stylistic differences among submissions.

Despite the effort to preserve the artists' anonymity, experienced jurors often can tell who is behind a particular entry. And at other times, they merely think they can. In the late 1980's, an anonymous competition to design the Bastille Opera in Paris resulted in the selection of a design that everyone — from the jury members to President François Mitterrand — assumed was by the architect Richard Meier. They were astonished when the winning entrant was revealed to be not Mr. Meier but Carlos Ott, a Canadian born in Uruguay.

Along the way, the fights can be fierce. Agnes Gund, president emerita of the Museum of Modern Art, recalled caustic battles among fellow members of a jury that was convened to guide a public art fund for Stuyvesant High School in Lower Manhattan. The educators on the panel, she said, were looking for art that evoked the lessons and aesthetics of an earlier era. "They wanted the kind of works that we wouldn't get with a living artist," Ms. Gund said. To get their wish, the jury would have had "to pick the artists and tell them what to do," she added. The rest of the jurors, who represented the art world, refused to consider that possibility. The jury came close to scrapping the competition altogether, but members finally managed to settle their differences.

Some juries' differences are irreconcilable. During the 1995 competition to expand the Prado in Madrid, 500 entries were narrowed to 10, but the jurors were unable to agree on a winner. Eventually they declared that none of the entries solved the museum's extensive structural problems. Two years later, a second competition was conducted, and the 10 finalists were invited to try again. In 1999, Rafael Moneo, a Spanish architect, was awarded the job.

Even a consensus among jurors is no guarantee of success. In 1998, the University of Texas enlisted 61 entrants in a competition to design its new Blanton Museum of Art. Two Swiss architects, Jacques Herzog and Pierre de Meuron, were selected as the winners for their modern design. But members of the university's board of regents pushed for a traditional building that matched the stucco-and-tile-roof style of other campus structures. After nearly a year of struggle, the architects quit, along with the dean of the university's school of architecture.

Rarely will a jury ask to combine elements of different submissions. "That's like saying to an artist, `It's a nice painting, but can you put more red in it?' " Ms. Gund said. Architects do, however, often revise their designs in response to suggestions from a jury or a client, or sometimes even in response to the designs of others.

After the German government decided to relocate to Berlin, it commissioned a competition to rebuild the Reichstag, which had been destroyed during World War II. Three winners were named: Norman Foster, Santiago Calatrava and Pi de Bruijn. Only Mr. Calatrava's design included a version of the building's original dome. After initial review, the architects were encouraged to revise their designs based on a new program of elements. Sir Norman's second submission — now including a dome — was awarded the prize. (He said it was an extension of a cloud-like canopy from his first submission.)

Just how the World Trade Center jury, with its diverse backgrounds and aesthetic preferences, will get along, or even how it is progressing, is not fully known. Little more than a week after the jury had begun reviewing submissions, John C. Whitehead, the development corporation's chairman, said, "I think it's fair to say that the jury has narrowed down the 5,200 submissions to a much smaller number." He declined to be more specific.

Already, however, the process is beginning to look as though it might take longer than expected. Planners had originally hoped to have a winning design chosen by the second anniversary of the attacks. Then, the plan was to have a group of approximately five finalists named by this Sept. 11. Now, memorial officials are saying only that the finalists will be named in the fall, and that a winner will be selected sometime after that.

To those who have experience with juries, the delay may not be surprising. "No matter what the estimate is, it's going to take longer," says Dan Cameron, a senior curator at the New Museum of Contemporary Art who is also serving as the curator for the Eighth Istanbul Biennial. "And the longer it takes, the better off we all are going to be with the decision. I'd feel very nervous if the jury came out and exactly met the deadline." *

Kris
November 14th, 2003, 02:24 AM
November 14, 2003

Jury Wants All 5,201 Plans for 9/11 Memorial on Display

By DAVID W. DUNLAP

While only one design will win, all 5,201 submissions to the memorial competition for the World Trade Center site will go on public display, at the request of the 13-member jury, though it is not yet clear where they can fit.

The request was made known yesterday at a board meeting of the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation. Matthew Higgins, the chief operating officer, said he hoped all the entries could be displayed in the same place at the same time, possibly as early as next month. "We want visitors to come away feeling what the jury felt and understanding what the jury experienced," he said.

The curatorial challenge is almost stratospheric, if not astronomical.

Hung side by side, with no space between them, the 30-inch-wide competition panels would stretch nearly two and a half miles, roughly the distance from the trade center site to Union Square. Were the 40-inch-high panels set top to bottom (admittedly, not a conventional exhibition arrangement), they would rise to the height of nearly 14 Empire State Buildings.

To put a 5,201-object show in context, "El Greco" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art has 71 works and "Matisse Picasso" at the Museum of Modern Art in Queens earlier this year numbered about 200.

Statistics like these suggest the dimension of responses to the competition, which closed June 30 with entries from 63 countries. The top eight finalists will be announced Wednesday and displayed in the Winter Garden in Battery Park City. The jury is expected to choose a winner by the end of the year.

Although the entries will almost certainly cause a citywide — if not worldwide — discussion, there will be no formal registering of public opinion.

"The memorial process is more akin to commissioning a work of art," Kevin M. Rampe, the president of the development corporation, said yesterday. "Selecting art by referendum is something that no one advocates."

At least through yesterday afternoon, the deliberations and outcome had been kept secret.

The jurors' request to make all the submissions public was relayed by Mr. Rampe to the development corporation board. During the board meeting, at 1 Liberty Plaza, protesters held banners demanding jobs and low-income housing.

The board approved a contract worth up to $120,110 with the Alliance for Downtown New York to provide employees for an information booth at the new World Trade Center PATH terminal. The booth is to open Nov. 23, when PATH service resumes. Two people will be stationed there seven days a week to answer questions about rebuilding, local attractions and how to navigate downtown's web of streets.

The board approved a contract of up to $300,000 with Weiss/Manfredi Architects to study improvements in the area around the Brooklyn Bridge anchorage, a formidable barrier between Chinatown and the rest of downtown.

George J. Mitchell, a former United States senator, was effectively ratified by the board as the mediator of an insurance dispute between Allianz and Deutsche Bank over the badly damaged 130 Liberty Street tower. Mr. Mitchell's law firm, Piper Rudnick, was awarded a contract worth up to $150,000.