PDA

View Full Version : Go see Pelli & Pederson on May 5th

tugrul
April 15th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I just got a heads up to this in one of Epstein's emails.

http://www.skyscraper.org/programs/

For $10 ($5 for students) it seems like a cool opportunity. Maybe some of us regulars here can go grab a bite to eat before or after.

Bk Italian 123
April 15th, 2003, 11:36 PM
hey, where is it? and when

NoyokA
April 15th, 2003, 11:37 PM
I would love to ask him, about Bloomberg Tower. Im sure the story behind it is very interesting....I would love to learn.

dbhstockton
April 15th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Who's going?

Bk Italian 123
April 15th, 2003, 11:40 PM
ill try 2 go... if i dun have a conflict

chris
April 16th, 2003, 12:19 AM
Thank you for sharing.

Bennie B
April 16th, 2003, 06:23 PM
That's gonna be awesome. *Anybody taking a camcorder?

chris
May 5th, 2003, 11:22 PM
I just got back. It was very informative. Pelli was eloquent. Peterson was articulate. They were both witty, and seemed like they were genuinely good friends. Alex Garvin moderated what was called a Q & A, but no questions were taken from the audience, he just put forward his own inquires. There was a film crew there. If anyone has connections at the Skyscraper Museum... I'm a member of CTBUH, but not the Skyscraper Museum. I don't know what kind of access members might have to their film archive, or if video from such events are available for purchase in some fashion to members or the general public.

tugrul
May 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM
I've been a bit too busy to chime in, but chris summarized it pretty well.

The event, and especially Pelli, far exceeded my expectations. Getting insight into what went into some of their buildings in person far far exceeds the impact of just reading about it. And their interplay was genuinely fun in addition to being informative.

I have the little membership slip somewhere... if I don't forget, I'll most likely become a member of the museum.

As far as the tape, it sounded like a third party was taping it for a documentary, so I'm not certain the museum will be at liberty to release copies.

chris
May 7th, 2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, that's correct, it was being filmed for a documentary on the future of the skyscraper. That should make some portion of it available for the public whenever it is released.

Also, while Garvin was the Q & A moderator, the... the host, who gave the introductory speech and other formalities, was Carol Willis, Director of the Skyscraper Museum. She wrote a book a few years back titled Form Follows Finance (which I've been wanting to read for some time and incidentally had recently bought a copy of, but have yet to read). Pelli and Petterson both gave her book a plug in their lectures.

tugrul, a question for you. This is a little off topic, but the site lists the moderators as:
Kris, Stern, NYatKNIGHT, dbhstockton

The forum moderator symbol comes up beside your name. I know Edward's name comes up with the moderator symbol, because he owns the site. What is your status?

tugrul
May 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM
I've been hosting the site since sometime shortly after the forum wipeout, so when Edward went on that cruise a few weeks ago, he bumped me up to forum administrator to deal with any situations that could arise.

One thing I liked about the host was that she wasn't anything like the mental image I have of a museum director in this city. She seemed to have a bit of stage fright, she wasn't perfectly eloquent and she was humble, given all that wonderful professional effort going into the permanent home of the museum.

I'm not much of a book worm, but I too will be looking for her book.

chris
May 7th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Stage fright, no doubt. She seemed almost terrified up there!

TLOZ Link5
May 7th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Hey Stern, were you able to go? *If yes, did you get the chance to ask Pelli about Bloomberg Tower?

NoyokA
May 7th, 2003, 08:51 PM
No man, I think that issue was finally resolved anyways.

tugrul
May 7th, 2003, 10:29 PM
I found it a bit odd that the Bloomberg Tower didn't get even a peep out of Pelli, considering that we were in an auditorium on the block catty-corner to the tower in progress.

Goldman Sachs came up for a few slides as he was going through the idea that its not the absolute height that matters, but whether a building is considerably taller than anything around it.

I suppose Bloomberg doesn't fit in with the other magnificent towers he was showing off, or the fact that IIRC he isn't responsible for the building's design. Personally, I'm not digging the different looking glass above the base, nor the mechanical floor covering, but the building is in an awkward phase of development right now.

chris
May 8th, 2003, 12:39 AM
The primary focus was on Hong Kong. The title was "HONG KONG ~ NEW YORK, SKYSCRAPERS IN THE GLOBAL CITY", which really seemed to mean a lecture in New York about projects in Hong Kong. Pelli mostly only gave cursory mention of other towers as they related to the points he was making about Two International Finance Centre or about skyscrapers in general.

http://www.skyscrapers.com/files/transfer/5/2003/04/189800.jpg

Pederson spoke about Union Square, his building on the other side of the bay.

http://www.skyscrapers.com/files/transfer/6/2001/12/135653.jpg

...and then went into the Shanghai World Financial Center project:

http://www.c-grayson.com/posted_images/swfc.jpg

...and then briefly covered a project in Tokyo, the name of which escapes me. Someone else can chime in on the details of that one.

I think maybe the title included "New York" because of Garvin's Q & A. Alex asked mostly questions comparing New York to Shanghai and Hong Kong, but mostly Shanghai, and how Alex seemed to be under the impression that New York was on its way out and Shanghai was going to replace New York, and all kinds of praise for the railroading through of the Shanghai and Hong Kong mass transit systems and why that can't get done in New York. With more diplomacy, basically they both told him that China was communist, people have no property rights and they would gladly have things take longer and have it be the way things are here, than hasve the city give you a piece of paper saying "move out in 6 days, here's the address of your new home. We're bulldozing your house a week from today" with no recourse. Possibly Alex was being devil's advocate, but he seemed to really rejoice is bashing New York and the rise of China... anyway, I digress.

tugrul
May 8th, 2003, 05:40 AM
http://www.skyscrapers.com/files/transfer/6/2002/12/177064.jpg

Roppongi Hills Mori Tower (http://www.skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/bu/131250/)