PDA

View Full Version : Trump World Tower - 845 United Nations Plaza - Condo - by Costas Kondylis

emmeka
June 12th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Trump world tower is the worlds tallest residential building, It has 72 floors and is just over 900 ft.

Is it a masterpeice of the skyline, providing a home to wealthy people?

Or is it an eyesaw that buries the chrysler into a feild of skyscrapers?

NoyokA
June 12th, 2003, 10:37 AM
It is a modern marvel.

ZippyTheChimp
June 12th, 2003, 11:03 AM
The modern marvel

http://www.pbase.com/image/14636226.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/15986480.jpg

Well suited to UN Plaza

NYatKNIGHT
June 12th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Trump had the opportunity to grace the skyline of Manhattan with a 900 foot building and he chose yet another black box. It just doesn't do it for me. Some like its sexy proportions, but I call it a wasted opportunity. For the next tall residential building can we try for something innovative or are we looking for an even better black box?

A marvel is something that evokes strong surprise, astonishment, or wonder. This building does the opposite of that (for me). While I agree that up close it is a sleek black box, down where I live it looks like a smokestack. Certainly nothing to marvel at in a city of true marvels.

Hippocritically, I would love to LIVE there! The views must be spectacular, and no views include the TWT! ;)

I will now duck as rotton tomatoes are thrown at me......

phxmania2001
June 12th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Eh...it's OK. I don't hate it, but I certainly don't love it.

Zoe
June 12th, 2003, 12:25 PM
I think this building is wonderfull to look at. *It's too bad that there are so many other black boxes in the city. *TWT and Seagram are the only two that matter, the rest of the black boxes are background noise, IMO.

(Edited by Zoe at 11:26 am on June 12, 2003)

DominicanoNYC
June 12th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Sorry to say, but I don't like it. Like some of you have said it's a black box. I think that in building with height a building must be more than just a box. There are two elements I do like of this building. It is very slim unlike many other black box buildings. If the skin were another color that might change my mind, but it's to late.

emmeka
June 12th, 2003, 12:57 PM
I like the TWT, Its a 'Black box' that the city really needed to change the skyline.
The veiws are spectacular, I have a friend on the 45th floor, the apartments are amazing!

JMGarcia
June 12th, 2003, 01:24 PM
To me, the change in the grid on the facade about 2/3rds of the way up ruins what simplicity/charm the building may have.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/images/chrysler_trump_esb1_23march02.jpg

JerzDevl2000
June 12th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Zippy, great shots! I've never seen TWT and the UN from that angle. They look like the same design evolved, since the widths are pretty similar!

The only boxes I like in the city are TWT, 9 W. 57, UN, 1 Penn, and the two we had downtown for 28 years. The rest can come down, ESPECIALLY the two twin squat apartment towers in the middle of the 1st pic, to the right of the UN tower. I think they are on the north end of Carl Shurz (spelled wrong) park. They're friggin' hideous!

TWT deserves to be the last box ever built in Manhattan *- it's that good and we have way too many. Time for a new movement!

TonyO
June 12th, 2003, 01:31 PM
I think it has good proportions. *Sure there are other black boxes, but none have such a presence in the skyline. *Others chided the twin towers for the same reason - their boxiness...but if everything were art-deco, you would hear the opposite complaint. *

emmeka
June 12th, 2003, 01:46 PM
does anyone think that when a building has more storeys it is more impressive?

I dont particulaly think so, but it does add a sence of power to them if they do.

GLNY
June 12th, 2003, 02:41 PM
[Quote: from JerzDevl2000 on 12:25 pm on June 12, 2003 *The rest can come down, ESPECIALLY the two twin squat apartment towers in the middle of the 1st pic, to the right of the UN tower. I think they are on the north end of Carl Shurz (spelled wrong) park. They're friggin' hideous!]

I may be mistaken, but I believe those twin apartment towers were originally designed as a combination World Trade Center and headquarters complex for IBM in the 1950s. *IBM later decided to relocate to Armonk.

Also, Carl Shurtz park surrounds Gracie Mansion in the 80s on the UES. *The green space by the UN is usually referred to as the North park.

emmeka
June 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Would you class the solo building as a 'black box' because its not really all black and curves outwards as it approaches street level

BrooklynRider
June 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
It's hard for me to be objective. *If it were just "another" black box in Manhattan, I'd surely hate it. *But, it has such a wonderful impact in the skyline that I probably overlook its shortcomings.

emmeka
June 12th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I think its great! I agree, such impact!
And I think that it looks great from central park with the Plaza hotel in front.

Gulcrapek
June 12th, 2003, 05:02 PM
It's not over 900 feet, it's 861 I think.

I like it, for the most part. Standing at the base and from street level almost anywhere it looks great IMO with the glass being spectacular. However there are times in a certain light when the glass is almost 'removed' and the window grid can be seen quite clearly. Also as someone mentioned earlier from downtown it does look like a smokestack.

But...

http://galleries.soaringtowers.org/albums/Gulcrapek/twt1.jpg

GR2NYsoon
June 12th, 2003, 06:02 PM
actually it happens to be my personal favorite building, period. * its a skinny monster without any newage competition, devouring the east-side skyline only leaving behind fragments of much lower dying appartment complexes. *Eat it, no pun intended.

TLOZ Link5
June 12th, 2003, 08:13 PM
I love TWT. *It looks so elegant when you're viewing it from the east, particularly from Long Island City or on the Grand Central Parkway heading toward Manhattan. *It just seems to form a supertall cluster consisting of it, ESB, and the Chrysler Building, which IMHO hasn't been overshadowed or obscured at all. *I just love that here in New York, we have apartment towers that literally would overshadow the tallest buildings in most other American cities.

DominicanoNYC
June 12th, 2003, 09:23 PM
Now that I look at it much more carefully the way it combines with the skyline around there I like it somewhat.

Chicagoan
June 12th, 2003, 10:10 PM
At first I did not like TWT. But the technology that produce that facade is great. Although the glass is dark, and depending on the weather, a bit dreary, it does change color ( very much like Trump Tower). It sometimes looks black, brown, blue and even green. I especially like the way the glass reflects the sky on cloudy days.

The proportions are exquisite. I especially like the way it looks coming in from Brooklyn on the 59th street Bridge. There it looks like a sentinel guarding the eastern flank of the Island.

I dunno. I think that since PO Mo the tendency has been to criticise buildings simply for being boxes, leaving many folk'em wanting more. But I think we can like boxy buildings, even if for nothing more than their simplicity.

yanni111
June 12th, 2003, 11:31 PM
its a great building, i dont see how someone can not like it, if there is any box to like its this box!! Its impact as seen from Queens especially while on the LIE approaching the midtown tunnel is absolutely amazing, even from its wide side it is so narrow making it appear even taller. Its position so close to the river fools the viewer and makes it seem equal in height and impact to Citicorp and Chrysler. Im actually happy its not taller because then it would overwhelm the east side skyline, similar to how Hong Kong has been ruined and overwheld by 2IFC. Tallest and closest to the water is not good. *To me it completes the east side skyline as that spot was a height gap between Chrysler and Citicorp. With the addition of Bloomberg the east side skyline will be even more complete!! ha!! budum bum thank you ill be here all week dont try the veal

chris
June 13th, 2003, 12:17 AM
As long as we're on the subject of Black Glass Boxes...

My favorite by far is the downtown Millenium Hilton Hotel.
It has the best curtain wall in New York.

1 North Sutton Place also has an exceptional curtain wall.

Trump International Hotel and Tower
&
Trump World Tower
are both notable buildings in that regard.

And Seagram Building is of course the standard of comparison:
http://www.skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/bu/115572/
(...and the second photo on the left is mine... sorry Stern)

NyC MaNiAc
June 13th, 2003, 01:32 AM
The Millenium is Waaaaay underated, and it's a shame. I definitely agree with Chris on this one. It's a great building that should be more well known.

emmeka
June 13th, 2003, 07:20 AM
TWT is a great building, Im glad that so many people like it because i thought that it would create a public 'enemy' like the Met Life building was when it was first built for the Pan Am corp.

I actually like the vastness of the building and the fact tyhat it makes a focalpoint on park ave.

DominicanoNYC
June 13th, 2003, 09:06 AM
I like the Millenium. It's skin has a nice sort-of turquois color.

(Edited by DominicanoNYC at 8:10 am on June 13, 2003)

chris
June 17th, 2003, 05:11 PM
DominicanoNYC wrote:
> I like the Millenium. It's skin has a nice sort-of turquois color.

You're referring to the Millenium Time Square, yes?
Nice hotel.

For the record, in case there is some confusion, we're talking above about the downtown Millenium Hilton, which is a diffrent tower from the Hotel off Time Square (the names make them easily confused, but there's no affiliation).

Zoe
June 18th, 2003, 11:42 AM
I spent a birthday in that Hilton in one of their top suites. *What a day it was, the views of WTC were incredible. *One of the nicest B-day gifts a person could ever give a skyscraper fan!

Kris
August 30th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Look at this bar:

http://www.quarlo.com/1_23_2002/02012309.jpg
http://www.quarlo.com/1_23_2002/02012305.jpg

http://www.quarlo.com

emmeka
September 1st, 2003, 04:14 AM
Its gigantic, when youre in the city you dont really realise how huge it is.

NoyokA
September 1st, 2003, 10:01 AM
And Seagram Building is of course the standard of comparison:
http://www.skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/bu/115572/
(...and the second photo on the left is mine... sorry Stern)

What are you talking about?

LF22
September 1st, 2003, 03:50 PM
I don't really like the trump world tower. To my opinion it doesn't really stand out from the crowd of other remarkable buildings in NYC. It looks like the vertical boxs found in many cities in the 60's-70's. For such a massive building I never really noticed it. I think it lacks spirit but then, what do I know,. I'm just a newbie.

Fabb
September 1st, 2003, 05:59 PM
High stature and low profile.
I think it was an explicit choice of D. Trump.

billyblancoNYC
September 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM
I thought, at first, that bar was the one where you can see in the bathrooms, but that looks like it's in LIC. *Where is that? *What bar??

Bob
July 11th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Considering the boring 50's-era building the TWT replaced, I think New York made out BIG here. Unusual location, methinks, for such a whopping skyscraper, but who's complaining? I particularly like the way Donald Trump got this thing built. Say what you will about Trump (and most people do), but I think we can all agree Trump is definitely a real New Yorker and knows how the game is played in these here parts. He quietly went about the business of securing air rights for years. Flew way low under the radar, dotted every i and crossed every t. Then, ZAP! Here's my building and bring on the construction crews! I like this building, but perhaps more, I like the way Mr. Trump pulled it off. Now, if the esteemed developer and dealmaker would put a whopping skyscraper in lower Manhattan to compete with the WTC, that would really be something.

g@tor
July 24th, 2004, 02:53 PM
That question doesn't allow me to sleep: do the people who live at (say) 69 floor in that building feel the swaying of the structure especially if there is pretty strong wind? :roll:

thirduncle
July 26th, 2004, 06:15 AM
As ugly as anything built during the darkest Warsaw Pact Stalinist age. It reminds me of the television tower in Belgrade that was bombed by the US in 1998.

Some here think that tall and/or thick are the only criteria for a great skyline. I'd rather be able to better see the infinitely more beautiful Chrysler building, or the gorgeous marble of Philip Johnson's postmodernist "Lipstick Building."

You see folks, the insidious feature of the internationalist clone project, championed by Dr. Gropius at his Harvard lab, was how Corporate America happily embraced its aesthetic. The concept was devilishly simple. Corporate America thought "Hey, we don't have pay up for luxurious materials, ornamentation, spires, slightly unorthodox shapes, or even star architects, we can just build a glass and steel box as cheaply as possible, and yet still be considered on the cutting edge of art!

Gone were the days when Woolworth, MetLife and Chrysler would try to out-fancy one another. Now the race was "how can we make our buildings more plain than the next company?" And so the clones of Mies and Gropius were unleashed, with each building seemingly plainer and uglier than the next. The UN, Lever House, and The Seagrams Building are nice, but there are literally hundreds of clones of the Seagrams building all across America, each one seemingly worse than the other, giant black death monoliths from "2001 A Space Odyssey" still being worshipped by academic apes and corporate baboons like Trump.

Another film metaphor that comes to mind is Jeff Goldblum's Character in Cronenberg's "The Fly" who progressively becomes worse in his flawed cloning experiment. Trump's architects are reminiscent of the last stage when the fly begs to be shot. But because they're the cheapest and the most servile, rather than being shot, they get the commission in this bizarro world!

The fairly loony political ideology behind the Bauhaus was that if all buildings had the same unadorned, factory like appearance, a classless society would follow. NOW, Trump takes the same aesthetic concept and says "hey, our building's dark drabness and inconspicuousness makes them LUXURY [along with, presumably, their gold toilets) because you DON'T STAND OUT. "Classless" becomes "classy". I guess the post-September 11th message is: "terrorists will fly past your undistinguished building and fly into something more iconic like ESB or Chrysler.

What a pathetic justification for the continued cloning of a dubious architectural ideology.

Unlike Woolworth (in its heyday) or Chrysler, Trump's only product is himself. He "develops" junk bonds that are continuously rolled over to the final bag holder. If you want to see the most revealing and expressive Donald Trump architecture, take a look at a stock chart of DJT, Trump's doomed public company.

And people thought Libeskind had too many jagged angles descending into a pit!

Larkin
July 26th, 2004, 01:45 PM
The Trump World Tower Is Also One Of The Most thinnest in the world...

billyblancoNYC
July 26th, 2004, 03:41 PM
As ugly as anything built during the darkest Warsaw Pact Stalinist age. It reminds me of the television tower in Belgrade that was bombed by the US in 1998.

Some here think that tall and/or thick are the only criteria for a great skyline. I'd rather be able to better see the infinitely more beautiful Chrysler building, or the gorgeous marble of Philip Johnson's postmodernist "Lipstick Building."

You see folks, the insidious feature of the internationalist clone project, championed by Dr. Gropius at his Harvard lab, was how Corporate America happily embraced its aesthetic. The concept was devilishly simple. Corporate America thought "Hey, we don't have pay up for luxurious materials, ornamentation, spires, slightly unorthodox shapes, or even star architects, we can just build a glass and steel box as cheaply as possible, and yet still be considered on the cutting edge of art!

Gone were the days when Woolworth, MetLife and Chrysler would try to out-fancy one another. Now the race was "how can we make our buildings more plain than the next company?" And so the clones of Mies and Gropius were unleashed, with each building seemingly plainer and uglier than the next. The UN, Lever House, and The Seagrams Building are nice, but there are literally hundreds of clones of the Seagrams building all across America, each one seemingly worse than the other, giant black death monoliths from "2001 A Space Odyssey" still being worshipped by academic apes and corporate baboons like Trump.

Another film metaphor that comes to mind is Jeff Goldblum's Character in Cronenberg's "The Fly" who progressively becomes worse in his flawed cloning experiment. Trump's architects are reminiscent of the last stage when the fly begs to be shot. But because they're the cheapest and the most servile, rather than being shot, they get the commission in this bizarro world!

The fairly loony political ideology behind the Bauhaus was that if all buildings had the same unadorned, factory like appearance, a classless society would follow. NOW, Trump takes the same aesthetic concept and says "hey, our building's dark drabness and inconspicuousness makes them LUXURY [along with, presumably, their gold toilets) because you DON'T STAND OUT. "Classless" becomes "classy". I guess the post-September 11th message is: "terrorists will fly past your undistinguished building and fly into something more iconic like ESB or Chrysler.

What a pathetic justification for the continued cloning of a dubious architectural ideology.

Unlike Woolworth (in its heyday) or Chrysler, Trump's only product is himself. He "develops" junk bonds that are continuously rolled over to the final bag holder. If you want to see the most revealing and expressive Donald Trump architecture, take a look at a stock chart of DJT, Trump's doomed public company.

And people thought Libeskind had too many jagged angles descending into a pit!

Did a Trump building block your view?

thirduncle
July 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM
"Did a Trump building block your view?"

Not personally, but my "view" is that if you're going to block ANYONE'S view of Chrysler, you'd better be Santiago Calatrava or the reincarnation of Frank Lloyd Wright (which occasionaly are the same thing!).

BPC
July 26th, 2004, 09:09 PM
"Did a Trump building block your view?"

Not personally, but my "view" is that if you're going to block ANYONE'S view of Chrysler, you'd better be Santiago Calatrava or the reincarnation of Frank Lloyd Wright (which occasionaly are the same thing!).

From precisely what vantage point does Trump World Tower block views of the Chrysler Building? A few blocks in Astoria? For this you argue that we stop building skyscrapers in Manhattan, unless they qualify for whatever it is you consider a "masterpiece"? Please.

g@tor
July 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Sorry, but what about swaying?

thirduncle
July 27th, 2004, 10:09 PM
BPC, it's called ZONING LAWS. It's the same reason you can't paint your house black in most suburbs (even if it's an homage to the black God Mies himself!) It's the same reason you can't have a little jockey in front of most suburban lawns anymore (even if it's an homage to Zappa's "Uncle Remus") and it SHOULD be against Manhattan zoning laws to build the 6739th homage to Mies Van der Rohe's Black ****ing box. Because it is destroying the architectural diversity of Manhattan.

Subway musicians are now licensed by the city. Remember when there was always some shitty subway saxophonist three bags to the wind playing the same bad tune over and over until there was enough fix money in the case? That's Trump. The "Junk" is his junk bonds. Get a new tune! Trump's only knowledge of culture is the clap tests he receives after banging a promiscuous bimbo model.

If licensing is good enough for subway musicians, it should be good enough for developers. All developers should be forced to complete a course in architectural history (preferably taught by Tom Wolfe himself) It's a modest proposal considering the convulsions of hysteria when it was revealed that Daniel Libeskind didn't have (gasp!) a New York State architecture license.

I can hear the clamor of card carrying objectivists howling that this would be an outrageous usurpation of property rights. Oh really? Donald Trump doesn't even believe in unlimited property rights. Actually he is a firm believer in the power of the state to usurp property rights "for the greater good." Want proof? Check out these tidbits, courtesy of, fittingly enough, the Ayn Rand institute:

"the New Jersey "development agency" sought to seize the home of Vera Coking, an Atlantic City widow who had lived in her home for 37 years, to build a parking lot for Donald Trump's casino.

Trump conspired with Atlantic City officials to level a block of family businesses so that he would have more room next to his casino for a parking lot.... Trump turned to unscrupulous city officials to gain by force what he could not get by private negotiation."

Well, well. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. Eat crow, Mr. Trump.

While I realize there isn't a zoning law on the books that restricts overbaked architectural styles, I "modestly propose" this edict:

Mr. Trump, think of the island of Manhattan as a Five Star restaurant of architecture. This restaurant will no longer serve another cheap Mies Van der burger. Although it's your debt holders who always end up "eating it" so to speak, if you wish to cook in this restaurant, you must choose from a menu of Gourmet architects.

Norman (Bananas) Foster
(Spicy) Santiago Calatrava
100 year old egg Philip Johnson (postmodern a la mode only)
Renzo Pizza
Yukio "Tuna" Maki
Jean Nouvel cuisine
etc.

Pay up for a world class architect, Mr. Trump. You don't wanna look cheap in front of your date, Do Ya?

OK, granted my tone is somewhat hyperbolic. But New York has often nudged developers, through zoning, to a variety of Architectural styles. The setback law led to a few nice buildings I can think of.

But if you are a dogmatic libertarian, there is an American city that has no zoning laws and no state taxes. Gaze mightily upon Houston, the home of honest and productive capitalism (Enron)........and despair.

billyblancoNYC
July 28th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Oh boy.

krulltime
July 28th, 2004, 11:29 AM
...and it SHOULD be against Manhattan zoning laws to build the 6739th homage to Mies Van der Rohe's Black f***ing box. Because it is destroying the architectural diversity of Manhattan... OK, granted my tone is somewhat hyperbolic. But New York has often nudged developers, through zoning, to a variety of Architectural styles. The setback law led to a few nice buildings I can think of...

Ok it defenetly block your view. :roll:

Let me cry for you :cry:

NYatKNIGHT
July 28th, 2004, 11:47 AM
I pretty much agree with your critique, but you should know that Donald Trump thinks the TWT is great architecture, as do many members of this board.

Let it go. At least it's tall.

ZippyTheChimp
July 28th, 2004, 11:53 AM
Trump has built worse.

BrooklynRider
July 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thirduncle-

I've been reading your posts and I can't help but feel that there is some underlying issue driving you. You started out attacking the International Style. You then moved to attacking Trump. You seem intensely focused on TWT and you are trying to pull the rest of the architectural design of the city in as an example for your argument. I would challenge you to walk down 42nd Street, from end to end, and see if your argument holds up. Precisely because that street has a great concentration of buildings constructed in the last 5 - 8 years

Perhaps it was reluctantly, but the developers in this city are moving away from the boxes you decrey. In a grid city, everything is going to have to fit on a right-angled lot. However, I would argue that Trump's TWT might be the ending punctuation on an architectural statement that perhaps lasted longer than we would have liked. On the other hand, the adaptation of International Style to residential high rises is a more recent development in New York. Overall, something in your argument is missing the mark and is ringing hollow. Nothing personal - just some forum feedback.

thirduncle
July 28th, 2004, 12:12 PM
g@tor, I was touched that a citizen of an impoverished but proud nation still recovering from the effects of ideological poisons is concerned about, in two posts no less, whether ultra rich people living in a Donald Trump skyscraper vomit when the wind blows in a manner that must seem mild compared to a fierce Russian winter storm.

Just kidding. I'm sure you're more interested in engineering.
Curious, I did a search on your fellow countryman's invention, Sergi Brin's google, and WOW! Did I ever find something interesting. g@tor, this link is 4 u:

http://www.pubs.asce.org/ceonline/ceonline01/0112feat.html

But I must warn you that the language of CIVIL ENGINEERING* MAGAZINE is sometimes so technical, so academically and diplomatically arcane, that even a fluent English speaker could miss the more salient points. So I will translate some of the dryly polite criticisms of Trump World Tower.

You see, it turns out that Donald Trump and his residents paid VERY DEARLY for the "purity" of their slender, black, internationalist cigarette box pitched 90 stories high.

"Another prominent structure employing a damping system is the 850 ft (260 m) high Trump World Tower... The building is rectangular in plan and nearly twice as long as it is wide. The principal direction of response was across the narrow face. The response to wind was accentuated by the building's slenderness ratio—the ratio of its height to the width of its narrowest face—which is almost 11. The architectural vision....

(Translation: The mistaken notion that a Meis van der Rohe black box with Corbusier's rectangular plan stacked 90 stories high STILL represents the ultimate in "good taste")

limited the aerodynamic modifications that could be employed to control the building accelerations.

(Translation: Corbusier's slim, rectangular aesthetic anorexia is impractical and unhealthy for a super-tall skyscraper, or a Trump paramour model for that matter.)

A strong frame underpins the towering structure, but because of the slenderness of the design, the building's response to wind gusts is similar to that of a cantilevered beam.
Consequently, during strong wind events, significant movement at the top of the building could occur, reflecting higher levels of acceleration than desired. The accelerations determined for the upper occupied floors were found to be beyond the serviceability requirements generally adopted for residential apartments.

(Translation: Trump, his architects and engineers f****ed up and it is IMPOSSIBLE to ameliorate the sway)

Conclusion: stacking a slim internationalist glass box 90 stories high LITERALLY makes the super rich residents vomit up their $1000 caviar omelets when the wind blows.

But here's the final kicker: It probably doesn't matter much because the big secret about most new "Luxury" Manhattan housing is that at any time as many as half of the units aren't even occupied. They simply exist as private personal hotel and party rooms for nonresident, domestic and international ultra rich jet setters for whom it would be infra dig to stay at ANY hotel.

Typical Luxury "residents" include Saudi and other Arab petro-aires who come for few days to shed their white dresses, party like it's the year 999, Pork infidel models, secretly eat pork, and then barf it on the floor if the occasional noreaster hits. Then it's back to the desert where, after having escaped their oppressive and backward culture, give away money to "charities" that advocate and practice our very destruction. Saudis are big buyers of Trump junk bonds.

Thus buildings whose design concept originated in proletarian warehouses become 90 story warehouses storing empty vanity.

ZippyTheChimp
July 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Relax. Trump is a Philistine.

andfluff
July 28th, 2004, 03:38 PM
(Translation: Trump, his architects and engineers f****ed up and it is IMPOSSIBLE to ameliorate the sway)

If you read the next paragraph in the article, they tell you how the IMPOSSIBLE problem was fixed... And, yes It does work. If you want, I can explain it to you, but you seem to know this CE lingo pretty well....

AndFluff

Jasonik
July 28th, 2004, 04:18 PM
SHOULD be against Manhattan zoning laws to build the 6739th homage to Mies Van der Rohe's Black f***ing box.
:P

The answer to your dilema is to become an architect who designs buildings for developers, then you can school them first hand about their desire to maximize profits and floor area, and convince them that the aesthetic beauty of Manhattan must be paramount in their design choice.

Wait, I've got it! We should raise the interest rates on bank loans for projects that don't meet aesthetic guidlines.

WE NEED ARCHITECTURAL FACISM NOW!

(If you think the International Style was dogmatic, wait till thirduncle is the head of the New York City Architectural Aesthetic Approval Board.) :roll:

londonlawyer
July 28th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Is TWT 900 feet? I thought that it was about 860.

BPC
July 28th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Wait, I've got it! We should raise the interest rates on bank loans for projects that don't meet aesthetic guidlines.

WE NEED ARCHITECTURAL FACISM NOW!

(If you think the International Style was dogmatic, wait till thirduncle is the head of the New York City Architectural Aesthetic Approval Board.) :roll:

Don't mock. Herbert Muschaump proposed something very similar in his cover story for the Sunday Times Magazine last year. The gyst of it was that West Street would be buried, the air rights over it would be sold, and the money (rather than delivered to the public treasury, or used to pay for the roadwork) would be used to set up an architectural trust fund to be doled out by him and his chums for works of significant architecture in the City. The piece really demonstrated that the Times will print anything.

TAFisher123
July 28th, 2004, 11:10 PM
chirp.....chirp.....chirp.........anyone know what happened to skyscraperpage.com site and where characters like nyguy and jimgarcia have gone to......no dry high brow witty remarks neccesary

GR2NYsoon
July 29th, 2004, 01:08 AM
....someone get me a violin.

thomasjfletcher
July 29th, 2004, 01:13 PM
http://students.washington.edu/treisman/burningman/monolith.jpg

architectural model last seen at the burning man festival.....

thirduncle
July 29th, 2004, 01:29 PM
Andfluff, you are right and I am wrong. Engineering is not my bag. Mea Culpa. I did not read or decode the rest of the story. I had a preconceived conclusion and I thought I had found the smoking gun that would lead me to....a barf joke.

But the damping DOES work. Jetsetters, hedge fund managers, heirs, it is safe to return! Ad: TWT: Looks like an office on the outside, but inside you can live cozy and sky high class! Discretion assured

Well, Trump and I settled out of court. He won't pursue eminent domain to kick granny and the family out and I won't send him to an architectural compound. It's just strange that one of the most prolific skyscraper builders dosn't seem to be at all curious about what it is he does. It's the reverse of Marxist theory: The owner is alienated from the product.

g@tor
July 30th, 2004, 01:19 AM
2 thirduncle
Thanks for the answer and interesting link. I've read about that damping system at Citigroup. See it helps. But does it help absolutely? I'd like to hear from person who was there if the vibrations at the top of TWT are not felt absolutely? Or for all that they're felt a bit? And sorry for offtopic, how about swaying in old ones, for example, ESB. Links appreciated.

And I don't care about ideology and politics. :wink: I just love NYC skyscrapers since I was a child. Guess it was just nature's mistake that I was born here, not in the NYC.

Edward
July 3rd, 2005, 01:31 AM
The Golden Tower (http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/trump_world_tower/default.htm).

http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/trump_world_tower/images/twt_sky.jpg (http://www.wirednewyork.com/skyscrapers/trump_world_tower/default.htm)

sadfg
August 1st, 2005, 03:18 PM
I was in NYC 10 days ago and took these shots of my favorite building of all time. Notice, the southeast corner is far less than straight, and the building leans to the west about 1 to 2 feet. Surprised me. And I'm not sure why they build it like this.

See attached.

also, my bad cuz the first pic isnt from the TWT.

Citytect
August 1st, 2005, 06:51 PM
Um, I don't mean to be condescending, but why on earth is this your favorite building of all time?

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2005, 07:31 PM
The second pic from the left on the bottom looks this this building was constructed very crappily

Alonzo-ny
August 1st, 2005, 07:38 PM
I dont think his buildings are awful. I like the simple shape of twt and like how tall it looks. The othe trump tower is ok to i guess. His chicago tower is better than anything he has done in ny and i cant remember what his toronto tower is supposed to look like look like, you'd think with all that money and reputation he could afford a good architect

stache
August 1st, 2005, 09:24 PM
It looks bad from Roosevelt Island. It's just too tall, sticks up too much and not pretty.

lofter1
August 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM
His chicago tower is better than anything he has done in ny

But it's not yet built so how can you be sure?

Renderings mean nothing, especially when dealing with a salesman like Trump.

sadfg
August 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM
Yes the second picture from the left on the bottom does make it look like crap. Thats why i was surprised when i was there. The panels are all off a bit. You'd never notice it from the street, or even the sidewalk. When i took that i was all standing up on the base about to get yelled at.

The trump world tower is absolutely splendid. Rediculously tall, and so simple. Like a smokestack when viewing from downtown. How can you complain that a building is too tall when the reason we like skyscrapers is because of their huge heights??

This building is of absolute perfection. Inside and out (I went into the lobby also) it is utter richness. I even chatted with some of the security people and they like it as well. Eight tallest in NY or something like that. How can anyone complain about this eastside beast?

Fabrizio
August 2nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
I think the tower is very beautiful but the ground floor is the usual Donald Trump bad-taste layered on top of more bad taste. Lot's of cheap looking gold and fru-fru. Pure kitsch.

Alonzo-ny
August 2nd, 2005, 07:35 PM
I do like its simplicity and slender tallness. I believe his chi town tower will be better by judging from the massing, i predict it will look darker than its renderings and at least its not black for once. I may be proved wrong but we'll just have to wait and find out

finnman69
November 30th, 2005, 01:03 PM
I was in NYC 10 days ago and took these shots of my favorite building of all time. Notice, the southeast corner is far less than straight, and the building leans to the west about 1 to 2 feet. Surprised me. And I'm not sure why they build it like this.

See attached.

The top 2nd from the left with the triangular canopy is the garden at 100 UNPT.

NoyokA
November 30th, 2005, 01:26 PM
Yes the second picture from the left on the bottom does make it look like crap. Thats why i was surprised when i was there. The panels are all off a bit. You'd never notice it from the street, or even the sidewalk. When i took that i was all standing up on the base about to get yelled at.

The trump world tower is absolutely splendid. Rediculously tall, and so simple. Like a smokestack when viewing from downtown. How can you complain that a building is too tall when the reason we like skyscrapers is because of their huge heights??

This building is of absolute perfection. Inside and out (I went into the lobby also) it is utter richness. I even chatted with some of the security people and they like it as well. Eight tallest in NY or something like that. How can anyone complain about this eastside beast?

The second building on the left, whatever that is, its not the Trump World Tower. It looks to be a 10 storey building, TWT is 72 storeys and doesn't have any setbacks...

JMGarcia
November 30th, 2005, 04:06 PM

See attached.

Like all tall buildings, they sway a couple of feet. The picture probably just caught it in mid-sway.

macreator
May 9th, 2007, 04:27 PM
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x64/macreator/trump.jpg

kz1000ps
May 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
What is it with The Donald and brass? You'd think every building of his were completed in 1983 if you didn't know any better.

Fabrizio
May 9th, 2007, 07:41 PM
A shame too because LOOK at that glass...one of the best glass walls anywhere. Even if his downtown building is a "boring" glass box, I bet it will be of the same good construction.

macreator
May 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
What is it with The Donald and brass? You'd think every building of his were completed in 1983 if you didn't know any better.

I always thought his buildings looked like casinos. "Subtle" isn't a word found in Donald's vocabulary.

DarrylStrawberry
October 14th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Mystery Man Buys $33 M. Trump World Tower Duplex

by Max Abelson (http://www.observer.com/node/36003) Published: October 1, 2007

The bizarre triumphs of Manhattan’s high-end real estate market are simply unending. Just when you’d think our bubble was finally going to be bashed by the national mortgage crisis (or shaky Wall Street, or the tumbling dollar), another gargantuan deal comes along.
And the seller, of course, is Donald Trump. As he un-smilingly told The Observer last month: “Nothing affects me.” (http://www.nyobserver.com/2007/trump-change-nope-nothing-affects-me) The last three original units at Trump World Tower, the monolithic First Avenue condo at 845 United Nations Plaza, have gone for the pleasant sum of $33.654 million.
The buyer of all three is listed in city records as CCHP Holdings, LLC, whose address is listed in Huntington, NY. The purchase deeds are signed by Donald T. Nguyen, but it’s not clear who the buyer is; according to a source with knowledge of the deal, the spread will belong to an Asian-American moneyman.
What does $33.6 million buy? The first two units take up the entire 89th floor (http://www.trump.com/site/listing/201081) (directly above Derek Jeter, incidentally). That floor alone has 20 rooms, eight bedrooms, 11 bathrooms, and 10,145 square feet, according to the listing with Trump broker Debra Stotts. That floor was listed for $28,248,500.
But then there’s the 14-room A-line apartment (http://www.trump.com/site/listing/938344) on the 90th floor, listed for $10,346,300. In case you were interested, the combined penthouse duplex will have 34 rooms, 14,864 square feet, 12 bedrooms and 16.5 bathrooms--and monthly maintenance fees of $13,906.
But somehow that space wasn’t enough for CCHP. Two sources said that the buyer tried to lure real estate lawyer and investor Dominick D’Alleva out of the other 90th-floor apartment. Mr. D’Alleva, who paid $13.5 million last year for that condo, would not budge.
In any case, CCHP will be tearing apart the three units and putting them back together. (Even the GE Monogram kitchen appliances are being ditched, one source said.) The floors have 16-foot ceilings, so there’s a potential for 32-foot-high legroom after renovations.
Better yet, CCHP got the three-unit penthouse at nearly a $5 million discount from the most recent listing price. The spread had been on the market for six years: Back in 2001, when sales at the condo began, Trump World Tower was billed as the largest residential tower in the world. That's no longer true.
Dennis Mangone, a Corcoran Group senior vice president, briefly listed part of the building's penthouse. “At the end of the day, Mr. Trump always wins,” he said, referring to those years on the market. “The dollar is weak now... it’s a huge incentive for foreign currencies to purchase New York real estate. And he”--meaning Mr. Trump--“has always had a really strong international base of people.”
Another foreign mogul, the disgraced Turkish telecommunications giant Cem Uzan, came close years ago to owning this three-unit spread (plus Mr. D’Alleva’s fourth condo.) But he defaulted on his contract, losing his $8 million deposit and the dictatorial views.
“On a nice day,” Mr. Mangone said about this spread, “you can see West Point."

BigMac
October 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
*LML* on Flickr
September 18, 2007

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1158/1405315742_a7b2ac335c_o.jpg

lofter1
October 28th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Interiors of high-floor unit at the Trump World Tower are featured in the new Sidney Lumet film "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/before_the_devil_knows_youre_dead/)", a really dark & nasty film telling the tale of two VERY screwed up brothers played by Philip Seymour Hoffman & Ethan Hawke. Not for the faint of heart.

Derek2k3
March 2nd, 2008, 10:53 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2095/2264530167_c9b72e76fd_b.jpg
708718 (http://flickr.com/photos/708718/)

Another one
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2402/2264524065_683f70b372_b.jpg

brianac
March 2nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Spectacular Derek.

Tectonic
March 7th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Whats the name of that effect again? I'm drawing a blank.

Derek2k3
March 7th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Hdr

Alonzo-ny
March 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Good shot, but Im not a fan of the alteration.

ZippyTheChimp
March 7th, 2008, 01:06 PM
It's called High Dynamic Range digital imaging. Multiple shots are made at different exposure settings, from under to over exposed, and then combined. The finished product expands the light-dark range of a digital image to more accurately represent the real scene.

You can take it to extremes, which seems to be the case in the above image. The 2nd one in the link looks more pleasing.

TREPYE
March 7th, 2008, 08:40 PM
:cool: Mediocrity flanked by greatness. A few steps to the right or the left and visually exquisite landkmarks are smudged off that particular skyline view....

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2402/2264524065_683f70b372_b.jpg

antinimby
March 10th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Let it go already TREPYE.

Derek2k3
February 12th, 2009, 12:58 AM
02/10/09 at 03:20PM

Maligned zoning plan quietly dies
By Adam Pincus

http://ny.therealdeal.com/articles/maligned-zoning-plan-quietly-dies

A Giuliani administration proposal opposed by the real estate industry and drafted during the building boom of the late 1990s to restrict building height and density was unceremoniously killed by the city last week.

The citywide plan, known as the unified bulk program, would have restricted the height of buildings in neighborhoods, removed the plaza bonus for apartment towers that allows for taller construction and imposed restrictions on the transfer of development rights, through a comprehensive reform of the 1961 Zoning Resolution.

It was not formally withdrawn until February 5 by the Department of City Planning, but a spokesperson for the agency declined to comment.

The Real Estate Board of New York said in 2000 that even with a modification, the plan was objectionable. Civic groups in the boroughs were also critical of the plan.

The central proponent of the plan, Joseph Rose, former chairman of the City Planning Commission and director of the City Planning Department from 1993 to 2001, said in an email today that the zoning regulations remain difficult to understand.

"In recent years the Planning Commission has chosen to pursue numerous neighborhood rezonings rather than systemic reform of the Zoning Resolution," he said in an e-mail. "While much has been accomplished, we are alas still burdened with a lengthy and awkward zoning text that few are happy with and even fewer understand.”

The impetus for the plan was the construction of the 856-foot tall Trump World Tower on First Avenue at 47th Street, which was criticized for being too massive.

The City Planning Commission released the proposal in December 1999, and over the next two years it won a favorable recommendation from the Manhattan borough president's office, and conditional favorable approvals from the borough presidents of Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx, according to city records.

The plan lacked strong support from Mayor Giuliani, however. And more recently, the Bloomberg administration never supported it, creating instead targeted rezoning proposals for neighborhoods like the East Village/Lower East Side, Upper West Side and Fort Greene/Clinton Hill, said a city official who asked not to be identified.

Real estate experts such as Robert Knakal, chairman of real estate investment sales firm Massey Knakal Realty Services, were surprised to hear the proposal survived even on a technical basis.

"It was a proposal in response to Donald Trump’s tower on First Avenue but it never went anywhere. I’m surprised it still existed in any form," he said in an e-mail.

Derek2k3
May 31st, 2010, 10:37 PM
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4034/4654232150_d886b26c46_b.jpg
NYC10021 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lbreiss/4654232150/sizes/l/)
Two other recent Kondylis high-rises in the shot - Bridge Tower Place (Brown and tan glass tower in the middle-left) and The Laurel the limestone and glass tower on the left. Kondylis has at least 5 buildings on First Avenue alone.

stache
May 31st, 2010, 11:28 PM
What a sore thumb.

futurecity
June 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
The TWT is beautiful, the best box in the city IMO. Amazingly simple, but it just works.

Alonzo-ny
June 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
Gotta agree.

oquatanginwan
June 1st, 2010, 07:37 PM
It just goes to show you how little imagination, skill, and artistry you need to produce a glass box tower like this when a hack like Kondylis can churn one out.

Derek2k3
June 1st, 2010, 09:45 PM
Fixed the link

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4661907066_bbfba84e03_b.jpg
NYC10021 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lbreiss/4654232150/sizes/l/)
Two other recent Kondylis high-rises in the shot - Bridge Tower Place (Brown and tan glass tower in the middle-left) and The Laurel the limestone and glass tower on the left. Kondylis has at least 5 buildings on First Avenue alone.

vanshnookenraggen
June 2nd, 2010, 12:41 AM
Put me down for the "like" category. Trumps stuff is usually gaudy and over the top, this is the opposite in an understated minimalist way. It's probably the only black glass box I've ever liked.

steiner
August 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
I just love this tower, would what I give to have an apartment there.

A recent picture from flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielmlove/

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4855165085_4b2fa1f484_b.jpg

ablarc
August 3rd, 2010, 03:06 PM
It just goes to show you how little imagination, skill, and artistry you need to produce a glass box tower like this when a hack like Kondylis can churn one out.

You're starting with the conclusion: "Kondylis is a hack."

Therefore this building must be a piece of crap.

If you started with the observation, you might end with a different conclusion.

Kondylis does do a lot of crap, like the director, Michael Curtiz, who made Casablanca. Arguing from Curtiz' usual standard, you'd have to conclude that Casablanca was worthless.

Derek2k3
March 29th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Here's a look at the 2 story penthouse on the top floors. Still the highest condo in NYC.

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/7.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/8.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/10.jpg

ODA-Architecture
http://www.oda-architecture.com/

C.C. Residence
New York City, 2010
For the interior design of this 20,000-square-foot, 8-bedroom, 16-bath apartment, located on the top two floors of the 90-story Trump World Tower, the designers created spaces with multiple layers, as well as a sculpture garden, reflecting pool, home theater, and professional-grade listening room and recording studio.
Image courtesy ODA-Architecture

londonlawyer
March 29th, 2011, 05:16 PM
The TWT is beautiful, the best box in the city IMO....

With all of the supermodels in NY, I'd respectfully disagree!

infoshare
March 29th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Here's a look at the 2 story penthouse on the top floors.

Wow ........ great pics: thanks.

Seems ( may not be the same one) that Penthouse Apartment is on the market. Listing here (http://www.trumpworldtower.com/units.html).

http://www.trumpworldtower.com/units.html

p.s..... don't miss the "view photos in full screen' option - stunning photographs of the interior.

TREPYE
March 31st, 2011, 10:02 PM
Here's a look at the 2 story penthouse on the top floors. Still the highest condo in NYC.

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/7.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/8.jpg

http://archrecord.construction.com/archrecord2/design/2010/August/10.jpg

ODA-Architecture
http://www.oda-architecture.com/

Image courtesy ODA-Architecture

My God....

I live like an effing pauper....:cool:

TWT still sucks, though.

mariab
April 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM
How would you compare it with this one? Pretty decent departure for Trump.

http://www.trump.com/_common/2007/HTML_Editor/eGallery/se/eGallery/upload/Trump/Trump/trump_palace_RE_img.jpg
http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/visit_website_b.gif (http://www.trumpsales.com/)http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/view_map_b.gif (http://www.trump.com/Real_Estate_Portfolio/New_York/Trump_Palace/Trump_Palace.asp#)http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/brokerage_b.gif (brokerage@trumporg.com)Located in the heart of the Upper East Side, Trump Palace towers 55 stories above one of Manhattan’s most elegant neighborhoods. As the tallest building on the Upper East Side, Trump Palace offers magnificent views from its many balconies. Featuring a beautiful lobby of marble and mahogany, residents can relax and enjoy the building’s adjoining garden park. You’ll find all of the amenities one would expect in a Trump building with an indoor parking garage, storage space and premier health club. The top floors of the tower feature spectacular full-floor penthouse apartments, while a separate wing along 68th street is comprised of private town home-style units. Trump Palace is the definitive uptown standard of luxury.

infoshare
April 1st, 2011, 08:54 AM

They are both 'great looking' buildings; but this one is better. I have noticed before, and liked it, bud did not know it was a Trump project, well done. Yes, you never know what to expect from Mr. Trump: he may even turn out to be a great President. (LOL)

Cheers

TallGuy
April 1st, 2011, 10:32 AM
I love this building. It reminds me of the black monolith in Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey looming over Manhattan. I understood that Derek Jeter owned a unit in this building and heard recently he is selling it. Perhaps this penthouse is/was his?

TREPYE
April 1st, 2011, 12:40 PM

http://www.trump.com/_common/2007/HTML_Editor/eGallery/se/eGallery/upload/Trump/Trump/trump_palace_RE_img.jpg
http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/visit_website_b.gif (http://www.trumpsales.com/)http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/view_map_b.gif (http://www.trump.com/Real_Estate_Portfolio/New_York/Trump_Palace/Trump_Palace.asp#)http://www.trump.com/_images/_buttons/brokerage_b.gif (brokerage@trumporg.com)

That is may favorite one out of Trumps slim pickings. In fact its prob the best upper east side high-rise. Too bad he didnt keep building them like this.

BBMW
April 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM
^
Hate the color.

Derek2k3
April 12th, 2011, 05:32 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5613520549_71cd9b10bc_b.jpg
mikla2010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikla2010/5613520549/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5298183725_0e01524a48_b.jpg
mikla2010 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikla2010/5298183725/sizes/l/in/photostream/)

LightningEagle
April 12th, 2011, 08:36 PM
wonderful sunset shots :)

Tectonic
April 13th, 2011, 09:01 AM
Actually that's sunrise on the eastern face

Derek2k3
November 17th, 2011, 08:11 PM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6108/6353647445_26c9ed35b9_b.jpg
Large: jesserinkaphotography (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jesserinkaphotography/6353647445/sizes/l/in/pool-35034350743@N01/)

Derek2k3
April 27th, 2012, 02:19 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7051/7117746193_092c7d5b09_b.jpg

BBMW
June 12th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Just saw this yesterday. It's a video made by the architecture firm that did a renovation of the duplex 89-90th floor apartment in TWT. I don't know if I like the decor, but it's nice to be a billionaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgXMhbs1Aek

mariab
June 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Dayum! How much?

Alonzo-ny
June 15th, 2014, 08:11 AM
An in house monk AND mound of gravel!

TREPYE
June 15th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Just saw this yesterday. It's a video made by the architecture firm that did a renovation of the duplex 89-90th floor apartment in TWT. I don't know if I like the decor, but it's nice to be a billionaire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgXMhbs1Aek
<smh> You gotta love :rolleyes: the hypopcrisy of this tower..... sure loves to take in views of the other towers' nice forms, but offers NOTHING of such in return.

BBMW
June 15th, 2014, 06:18 PM
It's not entirely clear. I think he bought one floor and half of another for 33 million. Then bought out the owner of the rest of the floor he didn't get for an unknown amount. Then, of course, there's the cost of the reno.

I'd guess the whole project is in the $60,000,000 range.

Dayum! How much?

BBMW
June 15th, 2014, 06:19 PM
It's more than that. How many Manhattan apartment have OCEAN views.

<smh> You gotta love :rolleyes: the hypopcrisy of this tower..... sure loves to take in views of the other towers' nice forms, but offers NOTHING of such in return.

infoshare
June 15th, 2014, 10:45 PM
That apartment, and the slick video production, is quite a spectacle : for sheer entertainment value - what fun this was to watch.

The idea that some $60 million would be spent on a an apartment and remodel that would suit only the idiosyncratic taste of the current owner is the heigh of frivolity: but when you have that much money - I guess one can afford to be frivolous.

BPC
June 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Nice looking place, but for 60 mil, I would like to be able to open up a window and breathe some fresh air every now and again. Most NYC apartment of more modest prices offer that "luxury".