PDA

View Full Version : Boehner Re-elected Speaker Despite Dissenting Votes

eddhead
January 3rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Frankly, this surprised me. I am not even sure why he would want ANY house leadership position, much less that of Speaker. His caucus is a fractured mess, he can't even get consensus on his own initiatives, the Majority Leader consistently stabs him in the back, and his members are at best ambivilent about his leadership skills and direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/04/us/politics/new-congress-begins-with-wishes-of-comity-but-battles-ahead.html?hp

Ninjahedge
January 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
It's because he has better stage presence.

All the other "Speakers" look like wusses and whiners.

See how we "elect" our "leaders".

ZippyTheChimp
January 4th, 2013, 09:34 AM
House GOP Caucus = Mental

eddhead
January 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
It's because he has better stage presence.

All the other "Speakers" look like wusses and whiners.

See how we "elect" our "leaders".

In retrospect, the GOP was incentivized to vote for Boehner in order to prevent a split vote (Cantor just did not have the critical mass) which would have opened the door for Pelosi. The caucus is so fractured at this point, that I doubt anyone has a mandate. And Cantor is a snake, so Boehner better watch his back.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts the effectiveness of the 113th Congress. It may actually move the caucus to the left, as the less "mental" look to form alliances with moderate Dems a la fiscal cliff vote. I doubt it though.

I do however look for the Senate to take more of a leadership role in enacting new legislation, pushing it to the House - again using the Fiscal Cliff legislation as a model.

House GOP Caucus = Mental

I know, it is crazy. Will Rogers once claimed that he didn't belong to any organized political party - instead, he was a Democrat. But this is different. The ideolgical fissures are so deep here, they are almost beyond repair. It is almost like two caucuses

ZippyTheChimp
January 4th, 2013, 11:27 AM
While the opposition raised eyebrows, the House Republicans who voted against John Boehner for Speaker Thursday didn’t exactly come out of the blue.

The nine Republicans who cast votes for someone other than Boehner are an eclectic group of rookies and backbench conservatives who live a largely off-the-grid political existence, situated outside establishment and sometimes even mainstream conservative boundaries.

Two of them – Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas – were recently purged from committee assignments for being what one member called “the most egregious a—holes” in the House Republican Conference.

Who are the Boehner resisters? (http://www.politico.com/blogs/charlie-mahtesian/2013/01/who-are-the-boehner-resisters-153302.html)

IrishInNYC
January 4th, 2013, 11:43 AM
Anyone else find the crying completely ridiculous and out of place?

Ninjahedge
January 4th, 2013, 12:20 PM
/me cries....

What?

eddhead
January 4th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Two of them – Justin Amash of Michigan and Tim Huelskamp of Kansas – were recently purged from committee assignments for being what one member called “the most egregious a—holes” in the House Republican Conference.

That is saying a lot. I mean you have to quite an a__ hole to be the most egregious a_hole in all of Congress, much less the House Republican Conference.

IrishInNYC
January 4th, 2013, 01:47 PM
/me cries....

What?

Not your crying:p, Boehner's, twice now he's been in tears while accepting that dumb gavel

ZippyTheChimp
January 4th, 2013, 01:58 PM
The gavel thing should be a Three Stooges routine.

Pelosi as Moe "giving the gavel" to Boehner as Curly. With sound effects.

Ninjahedge
January 4th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Better yet, the Emimem(?) mic-drop with the gavel.

Nexis4Jersey
January 5th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Anyone else find the crying completely ridiculous and out of place?

I think it highlights some underlying mental illness that hes kept from the party and public , you can cry in public but this is rather creepy and weird.

eddhead
January 5th, 2013, 08:30 PM
If you wee the titular leader of the Republican Party, you'll cry too.

stache
January 5th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Weeing on the titulars is an entirely different thread!

ZippyTheChimp
January 5th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Titular head.

It's just the long form (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tit+head)

eddhead
January 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Titular head.

It's just the long form (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tit+head)

Weeing on the titulars is an entirely different thread!

that is what I get for using an I-devise to post.