PDA

View Full Version : Advice Appreciated: Nicaragua Trip

IrishInNYC
January 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
So, I'm heading to Nicaragua for a few days next week. I'll be based mainly on Isla de Ometepe in the middle of Lake Nicaragua.

I have a Nikon D5000 and hope to capture some great shots of the volcanoes, lake and countryside etc. Problem is, I have neglected to ever take a lesson and learn how to use the camera properly. 95% of the time I use it on auto.

Has anyone some basic tips for taking good scenery shots...it's likely to be bright and when I don't use auto, trying to play with the scene settings etc, shots almost always come out totally saturated and over exposed.

If anyone is familiar with the camera, any tips are appreciated.

ZippyTheChimp
January 8th, 2013, 02:39 PM
In a hurry, so just a few things to get you started.

Turn off auto ISO and set it to the lowest number.

Set the aperture to the smallest setting (highest F number) you can without having the shutter speed to low (unless you have a tripod). This will give you good depth-of field. If there are foreground and middle objects, focus about 1/3 out.

Early morning and late afternoon, when the sun is low, are best for dramatic shots.

Use foreground objects to draw in the viewer, but don't put them in the middle of the composition.

Take several bracketed exposures. You can do it manually, or set it on most SLRs. Good to have under-exposed shots, especially in a bright scene where pixels can get washed out. You can brighten and fix underexposure more easily than tone down overexposure.

For waterfalls and running water, lower shutter speed to slightly blur the water. More pleasing than stop-action.

Unless the sky is a main element, limit to about a third of the frame.

Take your time. Scenery isn't going anywhere.

IrishInNYC
January 9th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Much obliged. Good info.

IrishInNYC
January 28th, 2013, 03:29 PM

Just a couple of shots as I cleaned out the camera. Haven't touched them at all, as is probably very evident.