PDA

View Full Version : Forum Moderators

Edward
March 10th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Wired New York Forum has grown considerably over the last year, and I believe there is a need (perhaps overdue) for moderators.

Generally, moderators have a threefold responsibility:
1. Ensure that subscribers are following the discussion guidelines
2. Assist new members
3. Foster a lively discussion

Moderators can:
Edit messages
Delete topics or messages
Move topics or messages
Lock topics

If you are interested in becoming a Wired New York Forum moderator, send me a PM.

Gulcrapek
March 10th, 2003, 03:12 PM
I vote for Garcia... ;) *(if we can vote lol)

Kris
March 13th, 2003, 07:31 PM
There are at least two more sections that need moderation, Real Estate and Beyond the City. I think most sections could use more than one moderator and Skyscrapers and Architecture several. Contact Edward.

DominicanoNYC
March 13th, 2003, 08:33 PM
I'd like to help with the Beyond the City and I already e-mailed Edward. He mailed back but that was about two days ago.

Robbins
August 29th, 2005, 08:03 PM
Edward:

I would like to become a moderator. I know i am a new account and this is my first time posting... but i maintain my own website and feel that i can fully daily commit myself to your forum and that i can moderate daily. Please read my email and consider my application i know i am about a week late.. i am sorry about this. Thank you for your time

-Nick

ZippyTheChimp
August 29th, 2005, 10:33 PM
About a week late? :confused:

The website doesn't work.

Ninjahedge
August 30th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I am sorry, I am about 2 days late on this.

I would really like to be a moderator in the Metro area segment, or perhaps news and politics, this site is the bestest site I have ever ever seen in my life OMG i want to have its baby!!!!

I am a moderator at several sites such as:

www.whatareyoukiddingme.com
www.areyoushureyouwanttobehere.com
www.ifyoudontgetthejokebynow.com

I will leave my resume at your door ed.

What kind of beer do you like?

;) .........

Edward
August 30th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Ninja, your 3 URLs above don't work.

Ninjahedge
August 30th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Ninja, your 3 URLs above don't work.

They worked yesterday, try them again.

Edward
August 30th, 2005, 09:46 AM
You are ruining the joke

BrooklynRider
August 30th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Edward-

I read all the forums regularly and would be pleased to have an opportunity to be a part of its continued success. Of course, I am opinionated and argue once in a while. But, I know the rules, contribute regularly and would like to help if you need it.

Ninjahedge
August 30th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Edward-

I read all the forums regularly and would be pleased to have an opportunity to be a part of its continued success. Of course, I am opinionated and argue once in a while. But, I know the rules, contribute regularly and would like to help if you need it.

You suck!!!!!

ryan
August 30th, 2005, 01:27 PM
This is a funny, funny thread. Edward, are you even looking for new moderators? Last affirmative post I see is from 2003.

BrooklynRider
August 30th, 2005, 03:34 PM
You suck!!!!!

So do you! Let's both be Moderators!

NoyokA
August 30th, 2005, 06:06 PM
I would like to be a moderator instead of being a lowly plebeian.

Ninjahedge
August 31st, 2005, 09:36 AM
I would like to be a moderator instead of being a lowly plebeian.
You are a very HIGH ranking plebian!!!!

And, I must say, you are very stern with people.

I bow to you.

At least until you keel over....... ;)

Ninjahedge
August 31st, 2005, 09:37 AM
PS, you like port?

Ninjahedge
June 21st, 2007, 02:18 PM
Not to cause trouble, but.....

If you need a moderator, would you post the request anymore or are you concerned about the wrong people responding?

The only reason I am bumping this is because, Ironically, it came up from the other moderator thread...

6. Re the need for new moderator - yes there was a need, and still remains, so there will be new moderators in the future.

/me tries to look innocent........:D

BrooklynRider
June 21st, 2007, 10:01 PM
Can we nominate moderators?

Lofter should simply be given that status. He redirects more people to appropriate threads and keeps the discussion lively in every section. He knows the threads better than anyone here and is probably the most well known member.

ablarc
June 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Would he still find time to post?

Well, I guess Zippy does.

What happened to Kris?

Schadenfrau
June 22nd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Lofter makes absolute sense, if he's willing to do it.

lofter1
June 22nd, 2007, 01:43 AM
Thanks, but I really have no interest in being a moderator. Or have the technical knowledge of vBulletin type stuff (and don't want to know about that, anyways).

I like to hang out and post here because of the way it challenges me -- I learn alot.

I also enjoy tossing out info to be used or discarded as others see fit.

Beyond the need for some better descriptions in the titles so that info is actually searchable it seems that wny operates very well. My hat is off to the all moderators for making the site move so smoothly. When we hit a bump they keep us on track.

However I do think some of us -- myself included -- are feeling a bit of Summer Solstice "Island Fever" (either the Manhattan or Long varieties). Plus the rancid renderings for 5WTC that came out today certainly haven't helped my mood one bit.

But this too shall pass ...

Ninjahedge
June 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM
Thanks, but I really have no interest in being a moderator...

And that is what makes you the perfect nomination... ;)

ablarc
June 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
If nominated, he will not run; if elected, he will not serve.

Edward
September 6th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Because of the increase in membership and corresponding increase in posting (and spam) and because of the introduction of Wired New York Blogs, I am asking for volunteers to apply for position of forum moderator.

Only senior members are eligible to apply. Please send a PM to me or any moderator with your request. Please specify whether you are interested in moderating a particular section (e.g. Real Estate, City Guide, or Blogs).

Joelio
September 6th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Ed, I just PM'ed you.

Mix106
October 19th, 2007, 12:35 PM
Too bad I am ineligible... =(

Edward
February 19th, 2009, 12:08 PM
This is an announcement that stache (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/member.php?u=3201) resigned from his position as a forum moderator because of his engagements elsewhere.

I want to express my gratitude for his work as a moderator, my appreciation for contributing to the success of Wired New York.

Gregory Tenenbaum
February 19th, 2009, 12:42 PM
What about Punzie?

Thanks for the conribution work Stache.

BrooklynRider
February 19th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Thank you, Stache! He worked very hard to maintain the quality of this forum.

scumonkey
February 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Is he also - gone - from the board? :o:(
We miss you Stache!

lofter1
February 19th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Silly me ... I figured Stache was off getting his hair done :o .

Thanks for putting up with us, S, and ... Break a leg.

Hof
February 24th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I would like to be a WNY Moderator.

I would also like to be a woman with big breasts, a sous chef on a zeppelin, the next White president of the US and a tax-exempt Lotto Winner. If I could, I'd like to own the first house on the Moon.

I would like to be a puppeteer, the poet lauriate of Nevada, a fireman ( or an astronaut) and a time traveler.

I'd like to be high on pot, low on the evolutionary scale, quick with a joke (or to light up your smoke), invisible for a day and slow as molasses in January on a Miami freeway.
I'd like to sing like Jagger, write like Matthew, Mark, Luke or John, paint like Dali and sculpt like Rodan. All at once.

I'd love to fly below the radar, whirl like a dervish, soar like an eaglet, see like Superman, opine like Seinfeld and smell like a nose.

Are any of those positions available???

KenNYC
February 24th, 2009, 02:19 PM
All of them I would imagine, if you're good enough :)

A shame to see stache go, even though he was angry at me on a couple of occasions :)

lofter1
February 24th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I would like to be a WNY Moderator ...

Do you like cats?

Fabrizio
February 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
If he wears bikinis we is really in trouble.

Ninjahedge
February 25th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Do you like cats?

What do Cats have to do with it??!?

stache
February 25th, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm moderating on a medical forum now. I will try my darndest to contribute the occasional pithy comment here from time to time. :D

Merry
February 26th, 2009, 03:12 AM
What do Cats have to do with it??!?

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/member.php?u=8869

infoshare
February 26th, 2009, 09:51 AM
I would like to be a WNY Moderator.
Are any of those positions available???

Glad to hear that being a Moderator at Wiredny is on your to do list. In addition to posting here you can also send a PM to any of the mods/admin to inquire about if/when there is a position available. Having read most of your posts here; I can pretty much predict that you would be an excellent moderator.

Hof
February 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Infoshare--

Thanks for your comments.

At any other time besides right now I would have actually sought to contribute my skills to WNY as a Mod. It has long been one of my favorite sites.

I wrote my post above mostly in jest. Due to the changes in the economic landscape, I have been forced by circumstance to return to the ranks of the employed. While I believe that I could represent WNY well as a Mod, I don't see how I could devote the time necessary. Hell, I don't have the time to do my laundry anymore.

The damnable economic downturn--call it recession, depression, economic collapse, etc-- has reduced my net worth by 75% in the last year. I retired young in 1999 with conservative investments that I thought were more than enough to see me through until my demise, and for nearly ten years I lived very comfortably on the income from those investments-- but the swift shrinkage of the stock market over the last 12 months has rendered me nearly a pauper.
Everything has changed.
If I actually HAD cats, I'd be probably be eating their Fancy Feast.

I began a job about two weeks ago, something that pays about 25% of what my last job paid when I left the job market. I was fortunate to find it, considering that the unemployment rate in my little Florida town has surpassed 11%. It keeps me busy from 7AM to nearly 7 PM, leaving me with little free time to surf and/or hang out on the computer, so things like traveling, drinking Beck's on my back porch at two in the afternoon, reading or devoting time to moderate anything are now things that I don't even think of doing anymore. I recently had to give up contributing to a regular column that I have on another site ( devoted to automobiles) because of my lack of free time.

I have taken a day to tend to some personal items and will probably not have another opportunity for this much leisure time for quite awhile.

... Everything has changed...

lofter1
February 26th, 2009, 05:20 PM
... If I actually HAD cats, I'd be probably be eating their Fancy Feast ...

About 3/4 of the way through my first read of that sentence I feared you were contemplating eating something else ...

Best of luck on the new adventure.

Ninjahedge
February 27th, 2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/member.php?u=8869

PSSSST!

I hope you noticed some unique qualities about my post there Merry! ;)

Merry
February 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
PSSSST!

I hope you noticed some unique qualities about my post there Merry! ;)

Of course ;). Just didn't want anyone not in the know to miss out.

antinimby
March 1st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hof, sorry to hear about your situation. Life is always full of ups and downs.

I guess this a down for most people but you can be sure it swing back up eventually although at this point it would be hard to imagine. Just be positive in the meantime.

HoveringCheesecake
March 18th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Infoshare--

Thanks for your comments...

I feel like giving you a hug. :(

BrooklynRider
March 23rd, 2009, 01:19 AM
I'm sorry to hear about this. We have a "lay offs" thread going in the social club sub forum. Others in similar situations. Come on over & join us,

eddhead
March 23rd, 2009, 12:03 PM
Infoshare--

The damnable economic downturn--call it recession, depression, economic collapse, etc-- has reduced my net worth by 75% in the last year. I retired young in 1999 with conservative investments that I thought were more than enough to see me through until my demise, and for nearly ten years I lived very comfortably on the income from those investments-- but the swift shrinkage of the stock market over the last 12 months has rendered me nearly a pauper.
Everything has changed.
If I actually HAD cats, I'd be probably be eating their Fancy Feast.

... Everything has changed...

I too have just read this and needless to say like the others before me wish you nothing but the best. Please try to keep your head up and your spirits high. As I continue to tell friends in similar circumstances, there is no stigma to this, it happens to smart and capable people, and unfortunately you just happen to be one of them.

I hope you do not mind some unsolicited advise from an overly opinionated person, but I have been out of work for some time, and can tell you that more than anything else, you need to be around the people who care about you most. They help you keep sense of of balance and perspective about what truly is important. Try to surround yourself with positive thinking people if you can, people who dwell on negative thoughts bring you down with them. Volunteer work also helps with self-esteem (not that I am suggesting you need it) if you have time for it.

Again I hope you do not think this was presumptuous or out of line. It is just that I have been there.

Hof
April 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
Last week I cashed the first real paycheck that I have earned since May, 2000.

I have made OTHER money during that time, just not from a bi-weekly, by-the-hour, 30-hours- per- week paycheck, with all deductions subtracted.
Sixty hours = $600, minus nearly $170 for tax and SS, --$440.

My last job, I did that in 2 days. Hell, ONE day and a wakeup.

That's not a complaint, just a sad comparison. The job market here in Ocala is shrinking. There is a current 12.6% unemployment rate, and jobs are freaking scarce!!!
I'm glad I found it and I can really use the cash money. I need it--my moneypot has dried up as the stock market went to Hell.
I can't wait until the Obama-induced tax cut comes around--when,next week?--and I get an ADDITIONAL $20-25 in my check.

stache
April 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Hof, I am sorry to hear about this and I wish you good fortune. :(

scumonkey
May 19th, 2009, 05:29 PM
I'd like to send out a big Thank YOU to the Mods...
This board has been inundated with spam lately,
and they've done a wonderful job of wiping the site
clean of it, on an almost continuous basis! ;)

stache
May 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
It's never ending -

Alonzo-ny
May 20th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Being in a different time zone I see it alot when the mods are in bed and its ALOT, good job guys.

Hof
June 8th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Well, I'm two months into my new job and, surprisingly, it is working out well.
Although the job has a $10/hr pay grade, it can be enhanced with commissions from my sales and those sales are providing me with an additional $200/week in cash, so my tentative but necessary foray into Job World is yielding around $500/wk --not bad for a 30-hour, part time venture.

When I began there I was expecting around $300 per week (which was my modest goal when I went on my jobsearch ), so I'm pleased with the way things have worked out. I have moved from the bottom ranking-- 37th out of 40 sales employees-- to 15th, and the potential for a decent income-- say, $700/week-- is looming.
I miss all the free time I once had, but I don't mind cashing the paychecks.

The unemployment rate in Marion County grows worse (it was 13.5% in May), but I have managed to buck a severe trend and find a well-paying job and a pretty good way to prop up my fading fortunes. And, miracle of miracles, my investment accounts, once at poverty levels, have bounced back somewhat, adding nearly $28,000 to their totals in the past two months. Maybe the worst IS actually over in the stock market downturn. For much of the last year the stock- based accounts that I've held on to were bleeding $35 thousand per MONTH from my retirement fund!!!
I was losing as much in one month as most people make in a YEAR around here, so I lost about ten years worth in '07-'08.

All I need now is for my stocks to improve around 800%. Then I'll be back where I was in '07 and I can retire again-- and maybe reconsider a valued Mod position with WNY, or waste away a sunny Wednesday drinking Beck's on my patio and sleeping until Noon on Thursday... ah, the good old days...

DMAG
June 8th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Not sure if the "mods" position is still open, but I am a 6-year Vbulletin developer. I currently run and administrate some very popular VB sites totalling over 50K members. If any extra help is needed, I'd gladly throw my hat in the ring.

For those that have lost their jobs recently...sorry to hear. I had a great job for a decade out on LI. Was signing the contract on my first "real" house the day my firm went belly up. Needless to say, the contract never got signed.

I am currently doing contract work from home. Great pay, no benefits of any kind naturally. Health Insurance for a family is mighty expensive.

Edward
June 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I am happy to announce that Alonzo-ny (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/member.php?u=3623) became our new moderator!

stache
June 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Interesting.

The Benniest
June 26th, 2009, 02:16 AM
WOO! Congrats Alonzo :):cool:

Alonzo-ny
June 26th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Thank you Ben!

OmegaNYC
June 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Congrats, Alonzo. Does that mean you're still the Imperial Veteran? :cool:

Alonzo-ny
June 26th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks Omega, I guess it has been superceded by moderator.

Gregory Tenenbaum
July 1st, 2009, 01:11 PM
I think given the plodding nature of your latest threatening and unnecessary private message to me, a lot of things have superseded your intellect.

Pull your head in, Alonzo. Or is it a pre requisite to not being harrassed by you that we all swear allegiance to the Queen and say "Scotland the Best!" while beating our wives after getting home from the pub? Its not like there are any alcohol problems in Scotland now, is there?

Get it?

GT

stache
July 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
When in doubt, forward any questionable PM's to Edward.

Gregory Tenenbaum
July 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
Also take notice of this:

- Behaviour disrespectful to moderators and administration

which is grounds for banning.

Alonzo, if you are going to act like Constable Plod, how about attempting to use a complete sentence?

English or Japanese, I dont really care, just try to make an effort.

Otherwise, go jump off a bridge. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9r25GhBWjc)

GT

Ninjahedge
July 1st, 2009, 02:51 PM
I think given the plodding nature of your latest threatening and unnecessary private message to me, a lot of things have superseded your intellect.

Pull your head in, Alonzo. Or is it a pre requisite to not being harrassed by you that we all swear allegiance to the Queen and say "Scotland the Best!" while beating our wives after getting home from the pub? Its not like there are any alcohol problems in Scotland now, is there?

Get it?

GT

All I got was that you are an obnoxious insulting individual.

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with you man? Take it down more than a few notches or just STHU.

Ninjahedge
July 1st, 2009, 02:53 PM
Blah Blah.
GT

Oh, and your name is on the top of your posts. So STOP SIGNING THEM.

Unless "GT" stands for "Gargantuan Titmouse" or something, in which case, stop using it.

:p

scumonkey
July 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
I noticed this undet GT's name....again!

Banned Membermusic to my ears:p

lofter1
July 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Must have been a real pile of fun in elementary school.

(puposefully incomplete sentence)

stache
July 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
One of our seasonal events at WNY! ;)

Ninjahedge
July 2nd, 2009, 09:09 AM
I noticed this under GT's name....again!
music to my ears:p

Banned member, eh?

I wonder what instrument he plays... :confused:

scumonkey
July 2nd, 2009, 11:03 AM
The Harp

ablarc
July 3rd, 2009, 09:34 AM
^ You wish!

Maybe I do too.

lofter1
July 3rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
I wonder what instrument he plays... :confused:

Perhaps ...

http://elaan.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/blowhorn.jpg

;)

ZippyTheChimp
July 3rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
Not this.

http://www.greenlandpipeco.com/adultbagpipes.jpg

kz1000ps
July 3rd, 2009, 08:01 PM
Awww, no more nuff said condescensions and flagrant inflammations??

Bollocks.

OmegaNYC
July 4th, 2009, 10:05 PM
People, it's the 4th.

He is taking his seasonal vacation.

Nuff said.

Ninjahedge
July 6th, 2009, 09:23 AM
/me provides galic, oregano and nutmeg.

There. That should do it!

Hof
December 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have about a month before the company closes their doors and moves out of town.

I have come to depend on the job as a cushion to my bad-luck investments, and now I need to find another source of bucks. That's going to be tough in a place with HUGE unemployment. I wrote more about this on my WNY blog.

BrooklynRider
January 2nd, 2010, 01:25 PM
Jeez. That sucks. I know that in New york the unemployment now runs for 60 weeks.

Regardless of the spin the administration puts on this, we are in a depression. Unemployment has to be around 25 - 30% nationwide or they wouldn't be taking such drastic measures with the former COBRA subsidy and now the third extension of benefits (in NY anyway).

A substantial unemployed population with the ability to quickly organize and strategically assemble (see TWITTER) is the truest threat to a government that both lies and is out of touch with the reality outside the Beltway.

Good luck, Hof.

stache
January 2nd, 2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, good luck Hof. If you work 'some' in a year (like I did last year) they don't let you continue your old claim but make you start a new one. Hence my new claim is less than the maximum :( but on the bright side I am working more this year than last so I don't have to use this crappy new claim so much. :)

Ninjahedge
January 3rd, 2010, 12:23 AM
(Jinx) I start up on Monday...

30+ miles away but a pretty strait shot to the 'burbs on a reverse commute.

Layoffs are running rampant, and unfortunately so are closures. I hope you find something. BTW, NY unemployment is pityful. I think it was 1/4 of what I got paid (not nearly enough for insurance, expenses and mortgage). I was lucky my wife had a job and insurance.....

Again Hof, GL! START LOOKING NOW! And do NOT be timid about it!

ablarc
January 4th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I have about a month before the company closes their doors and moves out of town.

I have come to depend on the job as a cushion to my bad-luck investments, and now I need to find another source of bucks.
Hey Hof, did you used to write for a living? I might have something. Send me a PM.

Ninjahedge
August 20th, 2010, 01:43 PM
So do you! Let's both be Moderators!

Hmmm..... ;)

Ninjahedge
August 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Perhaps ...

http://elaan.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/blowhorn.jpg

;)

Wouldn't that be IS's Instrument of Choice?

lofter1
August 20th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Quite the contrary :cool: ...