PDA

View Full Version : FIRST AMENDMENT and ANYTHING GOES - First Amendment, Bag and

johnwk
March 30th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Yo, Bag!

Hate to disagree with you concerning First Amendment Rights, but you have no right to compel others to provide a platform to express you views. *As much as I was disappointed by Kris locking out my thread (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=7&topic=20) concerning NYC’s smoking ban, and doing so for posting “conspicuous ideological propaganda”, when if fact I posted nothing more than document legal opinions, facts and the words of our Founding Fathers, I must tell you up front that you are merely a guest on this board and subject to its arbitrary rules and decisions, and, I can assure you that my answer to you has nothing to do with your pro-war stance…

JWK
ACRS

Kris
March 30th, 2003, 01:23 PM
The rules aren't exactly arbitrary and are clearly stated in Forum Issues. I closed your thread mainly because it was going nowhere.

dbhstockton
March 30th, 2003, 02:43 PM
So Christian, any calls from Bag's lawyers or the ACLU?

Kris
March 31st, 2003, 07:42 PM
#Moderation Mode

I'm still waiting - anxiously.

<a href="http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=5&topic=14" target="_self">Moved here</a>

Bennie B
April 3rd, 2003, 07:02 AM
Hang in there, Johnwk. *And don't be surprised if you start seeing your posts deleted--I've seen dozens of mine vanish. *Apologies to Zoe and Merry for that!

amigo32
April 3rd, 2003, 10:10 AM
Ummm....., *this is a private forum, is it not? * I am sure that individual freedom of speech rights do not strictly apply here. Think about it, you are being invited into a private residence. *Common courtesy and respect are paramount.

StevenRosenow
April 3rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
Well, my opinions on running a web forum may be different from others, especially those who run this site.

I've always viewed it as such that a web forum should always be a place to speak the mind without the fear of having your posts deleted by overmoderation, or locking threads because they "aren't going anywhere." To me, it's silly to even lock threads. In all the web forums I've ran or have been member of, I have never seen such extremes of moderation as I've seen here, and I find it appalling.

In another sense, it makes no sense to start a new thread on the same subject, when one could've simply added to an existing thread because it was locked. *And reading the forum today I found a perfect example of overmoderation: the locking of the "Westfield says no" thread. Just because it was previously discussed in the topic of the WTC land swap, doesn't mean that someone else's attempt at starting a dedicated thread to just the Westfield issue should be locked up.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy this forum. But there's just way too much emphasis on moderation. More emphasis than should be used on any forum.

NYatKNIGHT
April 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM
About the 'Westfield says no' thread - I was the one who locked it. It wasn't locked because the topic had been previously discussed, it was locked because the same exact article was posted about three hours earlier; had he looked for two seconds he would have seen that it was already posted and a conversation had begun.

If there are multiple threads posting the same information, that pushes other topics off the front page, it fragments the conversation, it causes annoying repetativeness, and it makes searching a topic in the Wired New York archives tedious. *I noticed long ago that Edward prefers to keep like topics in the same thread, and I agree. However, I don't want over-moderation to reduce the quality of this fine website, I'll ease up if that is the consensus.

Bennie B
April 3rd, 2003, 08:38 PM
KNIGHT you're a d--- good sport and you're doing an A-number-1 job of moderating, even if you have been deleting my posts! *(heh) *(j/k)
http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Books/Pix/authors/2000/03/25/F_Scott_Fitzgerald.jpg

(Edited by Bennie B at 11:55 pm on April 3, 2003)

NYatKNIGHT
April 4th, 2003, 09:53 AM
I'll let you slide this time.... ;)

ZippyTheChimp
April 4th, 2003, 11:01 AM
This forum is not a public service. It is part of a website owned by the administrator. We do not pay for its existence or maintenance, nor do we have to tolerate popup ads. We enter this site in the same way we enter any place of business.

Locking duplicate threads is good housekeeping. The information is not deleted, and the last post will direct you to the duplicate thread.

The issue of free expression invariably comes up when a forum is moderated. A physical forum may have more opportunity for free expression than a controlled internet forum, but the physical forum has an advantage to prevent disruption - physical security.

Free-wheeling forums generally degrade into name calling, stupid posts, duplicate and stolen identities; and wind up attracting people whose aim is disruption. What results is not a place to freely exchange ideas, but a parody of free expression.

If anyone is looking for that, I can direct them to forums I've visited before ending up here. I'd hate to see this place become one of them.

Ptarmigan
April 11th, 2003, 09:53 PM
As much as a firm believer in free speech, its not absolute. The First Amendment protects us only from the government from interfering, not from private or people. Also, freedom of speech is not absolute, because if it tramples on one's freedom, it does not become freedom. Freedom of speech does not mean you can yell "fire" in a crowded theater or break the law while protesting. Locking or deleting duplicate post is a good thing, because it eats up bandwidth. Also, a person who floods the board is eating up bandwidth as well. I remember at this one site I frequent a lot, it had a message board like this and there were some threads with over 10,000 replies, like about three. One of them had over 25,000 replies! Eventually, they were locked, because it was eating bandwidth like crazy, like more than half of it. Also, they had problem with spammers as well and they were banned eventually. It was a poorly moderated forum that had to be moderated eventually. The forum was worse then a newsgroup. People just use it as a spamboard. If they want to spam, why don't they just create their own forum and do it there. There are lots of great free forum sites to sign up for. Just my thought.

(Edited by Ptarmigan at 8:55 pm on April 11, 2003)

DominicanoNYC
April 13th, 2003, 08:38 PM
What? 25,000 replies. That's an inordinate number of replies.

Ptarmigan
April 16th, 2003, 07:07 PM
Quote: from DominicanoNYC on 7:38 pm on April 13, 2003
What? 25,000 replies. That's an inordinate number of replies.

It was mostly just garbage, spam, and posting of obscene pictures.

Bennie B
April 19th, 2003, 05:17 PM
A technical problem seems to have deleted this post, so pardon me for making it here:
The only beef in this burger is the WFC. *;)
http://members.verizon.net/~vze26pnp/WOL1.jpg

StevenRosenow
April 19th, 2003, 06:55 PM
Are you sure it was a technical problem? ;)

One of my posts in that thread was deleted too.

Kris
April 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Shut up. This isn't the whining thread.

Bennie B
April 21st, 2003, 11:48 AM
Shall I thwow him to the floor again, sir? *;)

Kris
April 21st, 2003, 12:51 PM
The ignoramus who thinks he's a comic genius.

StevenRosenow
April 21st, 2003, 05:22 PM
Who said anything about whining? ;)

Kris
April 21st, 2003, 07:03 PM
;)

Wit you can't discomfit.

Bennie B
April 21st, 2003, 09:03 PM
Here's the comic genius:
http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/jpgs/pilate.jpg
And here's his good friend, Biggus Dickus: