PDA

View Full Version : What is New Yorks Feelings?

secubis
April 28th, 2013, 07:49 AM
After what happened at the Marathon, what is the feeling among New Yorkers?
I mean do you have a wee doubt in your mind that it could again happen in your city? and are you more vigilant
about walking down the street?

We in Britain have a 'Don't let the ******** get you down' attitude but how does this translate in the USA?

Cheers
S

lofter1
April 28th, 2013, 02:28 PM
We're not worried a bit.

We're told by those in charge that we have super smart cameras everywhere that can detect orphaned bags & knapsacks. If danger is found, the appropriate measures will be taken to isolate & disarm such items.

So what's to worry about?

Although I do think twice these days about putting my bag down when it comes time to snap a good photo. :cool:

stache
April 28th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Port Authority was completely shut down and evacuated a few nights ago because of a suspicious package. They also suspended service on the IND A,C & E lines for a while. Not a peep about this in the paper.

secubis
April 29th, 2013, 09:27 AM
we didn't get anything else apart from what the BBC decided to broadcast, mainly people in the street cheering and shouting usa after the perp was caught. Not a peep from any of the other networks on the reaction of the rest of the nation. Nice to have people give an independant view on what's going on.

Cheers
S

ZippyTheChimp
April 29th, 2013, 10:06 AM
People may have been skittish for a day or two, so you'll get immediate reactions. For many reasons, it's most intense on the subway system. But it quickly goes away, and everyone gets back to their lives.

There's a strong connection between NYC and Boston, mainly through sports, so very adversarial. You don't usually see stuff like this in NYC:

Brooklyn Academy of Music
http://www.interfaithfamily.com/files/images2/boston-marathon-nyc-bam.jpg

Yankee Stadium
http://cbsnewyork.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/yankees-honor-boston.jpg?w=300