PDA

View Full Version : Antennae Farms In Your Area

Ptarmigan
January 26th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Does your city have antennae farms. My hometown Houston has a large one near Missouri City, which is southwest of Houston. They are a bunch of antennaes there. Mostly tall ones. They are used for television and radio. Also, there is a weather radar there. The tallest one is almost 2,000 feet. There are a bunch of others over a thousand feet. One of them reminds me of the late World Trade Center twin towers :(. The antennae complex is called Senior Road Tower Group or Missouri City Transmission Center. In Austin, there is antennae farm on top of Mt. Larson west of Austin. Its easily visible on top of Mt. Bonnell, highest point in Austin. The tallest one is taller than the Empire State Building, at 1,299 feet high. The antennae on top of Mt. Larson would be outsized by the late World Trade Center.

Eugenius
January 27th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I was always interested in these antennae. *Supposedly, they are the true tallest structures in the world. *Can you post pictures?

Ptarmigan
January 28th, 2003, 09:39 PM
Quote: from Eugenius on 1:51 pm on Jan. 27, 2003
I was always interested in these antennae. *Supposedly, they are the true tallest structures in the world. *Can you post pictures?

You can try this site out.
http://www.srtg.com/
Its the only known picture of the antennae in Houston.

amigo32
January 30th, 2003, 03:49 AM
Yea, there is one in central MO. *that has at least 15 or more within a 5 mile area, the tallest is a 2001 footer for a PBS station.

TLOZ Link5
February 8th, 2003, 12:38 PM
The tallest of these antennae is outside of a small town in South Dakota; it's about 2160 feet tall, the tallest man-made structure on Earth. *There was another tower in the former Soviet Union that was even taller, but it was destroyed in a storm.

Ptarmigan
April 11th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Quote: from TLOZ Link5 on 11:38 am on Feb. 8, 2003
The tallest of these antennae is outside of a small town in South Dakota; it's about 2160 feet tall, the tallest man-made structure on Earth. *There was another tower in the former Soviet Union that was even taller, but it was destroyed in a storm.

The tallest antennae in the world that was destroyed is in Poland.

Hof
April 12th, 2003, 09:00 AM
South of downtown Phoenix,atop South Mountain,there is a huge antennae farm.It must have 15-20 of them.Whenever the smog clears enough so you can see them,they're very impressive.
Must be a lot of folks communicating in Phoenix.