PDA

View Full Version : MLB Playoffs, 2013

hbcat
October 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Flowchart: Who to Root for in the Playoffs (http://http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62260854/)
(http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62260854/)
http://www.sportsonearth.com/assets/images/8/7/4/62266874/cuts/Flowchart_revisedcopy_fl1naq69_nlc39ngp.jpg

hbcat
October 2nd, 2013, 10:13 AM
I'm going with the Pirates and the Dodgers.

ZippyTheChimp
October 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
Pirates are an easy choice for me. I went to school in Pittsburgh, and the home of my in-laws.

hbcat
October 4th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Plus we get to feel nostalgic for Yankees from days-gone-by. Like AJ giving up 7 runs in a 2 inning start in Game 1. :rolleyes:

LA beats Atlanta. That's good. I hate that tomahawk chop more than anything in baseball.

eddhead
October 4th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I am kind of rooting for the A's. I like Billy Beane, and I like the fact that a team with a low payroll made the grade. I am rooting for the Pirates for the same reason.

hbcat
October 4th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I hate to say it, but I doubt any team in the AL can stop the Red Sox.

lofter1
October 4th, 2013, 09:35 PM
At least our new mayor will be happy.

ZippyTheChimp
October 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
LA beats Atlanta. That's good. I hate that tomahawk chop more than anything in baseball.You should be happy today.

eddhead
October 8th, 2013, 09:22 AM
I hear him with the tomahawk chop thing.

hbcat
October 8th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Yes, death to the chop and good riddance. Good for Donnie Baseball too; apparently he's fighting for his managerial life in LA. He was the best of players, but I am not sure if he's good in that job.

However, the best playoff game I have seen this year was the Game 2 pitchers' duel between Sonny Gray and Justin Verlander. The 23-year-old kid matched Verlander zero for zero through eight innings. The A's won 1-0 with the decisions going to the bullpens. Great stuff.

eddhead
October 8th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Nice.

hbcat
October 9th, 2013, 06:20 AM
The A's haven't decided if they'll pitch Bartolo Colon or Sonny Gray in Game 5. I know what I want to see.

And, oh yeah, Boston beats TB and advances. I am for any other team, although if the Braves were still in it, I'd be torn.

eddhead
October 9th, 2013, 09:51 AM
A's and Pirates .... A's and Pirates .... A's and Pirates .... A's and Pirates ....

I guess I would take the Dodgers too. I can't help it, I am a sucker for Mattingly.

ON a side note, Colon gets radical surgery that requires HGH to finish the repair on his elbow. He than gets justifiably creamed by MLB, loses 50 games, but salvages his career.

As oppossed as I am to PED, I can't say I blame him.

hbcat
October 9th, 2013, 10:08 AM
He took a calculated risk and paid the price, which includes a big hit to his reputation.

Watching young athletes emerge as the elite in their sport is just too much fun. Colon had his day; now I want to see Gray. If Gray pitches and wins, Bartolo gets to pitch again anyway. Also, AL hitters have seen everything Colon can do. The added element of the unseen gives the kid some edge here.

hbcat
October 12th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Sonny Gray wasn't as sharp as he was in Game 2, but he was okay. Unfortunately, Verlander was unbeatable, taking a no-hitter into the 7th inning.
So now we have Detroit vs Boston. Go Tigers!

LA lost a heart-breaking in extra innings of Game 1. Must win tomorrow.

eddhead
October 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
He took a calculated risk and paid the price, which includes a big hit to his reputation.

Yes, but the alternative was to end his career. He traded off 50 games and some bad press for a few extra productive, well-paid years. Probably a good investment in shame equity ;)

hbcat
October 16th, 2013, 08:42 PM
A new sports metric! ROI/SE: Return on Investment / Shame Equity. Let's just call it Return on Shame (ROS). "Hey this guy's ROS is off the charts!"

>>><<<

Dodgers are my last team left in the playoffs. They have to win to complete a comeback from 1-3 in the series. (They won today with Krankie on the mound.) If the Dodgers fall, then it's "any team but Boston."

eddhead
October 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
A new sports metric! ROI/SE: Return on Investment / Shame Equity. Let's just call it Return on Shame (ROS). "Hey this guy's ROS is off the charts!"

Probably said sarcasticly, but honestly, in this case it works for me!

hbcat
October 18th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Nah, but I hear ya. I save my sarcasm for things that truly matter.

hbcat
October 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Crap. I tuned just in time to see Victorino hit a grandslam over the Monster. If Detroit cannot comeback in the last two innings, it will be a Sawks - Cards WS.

eddhead
October 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
The two teams I least wanted to see.

hbcat
October 20th, 2013, 09:46 PM
I'd take the Cards over the Braves, but yeah it there're not on my wish list either.

eddhead
October 20th, 2013, 11:37 PM
Yeah, I despise the Braves too. Like you, I hate the 'chop'. But Larussa is so arrogant.

hbcat
October 21st, 2013, 02:23 AM
So, Red Sox then? Although they are the "enemy," I have to admit they have a lot of exciting players. I would love to live in Boston; St. Louis, not so much.

eddhead
October 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM
At my previous job, I used to visit Boston fairly frequently, at least once month for a couple of days. I find it overrated. To me it is like this giant collage town.

IrishInNYC
October 21st, 2013, 02:34 PM
“Tigers just got beaten by a bunch of dudes that look like Happy Gilmore’s caddy.”
—@MarcCarig, Newsday’s baseball writer, after the bearded Red Sox won Game 5 of the American League Championship Series.

OmegaNYC
October 30th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Get your rolaids ready. Red Sox are only a few outs away from another title.

hbcat
October 31st, 2013, 12:24 AM
I am ok with it. They played well.

scumonkey
October 31st, 2013, 02:57 AM
At my previous job, I used to visit Boston fairly frequently, at least once month for a couple of days. I find it overrated. To me it is like this giant collage town.
I did live there (heart of the back bay), and it's not "like" it IS a giant college town (couldn't move away fast enough)!
I'm so sad the sux ...errr sox won, my partner (born in Boston) is a sox fan and is driving me crazy-i'll never hear the end of it!

IrishInNYC
October 31st, 2013, 08:54 AM
They dominated last night in every regard. StL made too many errors...pitching was hapless....it was a foregone conclusion as soon as Boston brought a couple of guys home.
Hey, good for them, they were a joke at the outset of the season and look what they did.

eddhead
October 31st, 2013, 12:17 PM
I did live there (heart of the back bay), and it's not "like" it IS a giant college town (couldn't move away fast enough)!
I'm so sad the sux ...errr sox won, my partner (born in Boston) is a sox fan and is driving me crazy-i'll never hear the end of it!
I stand corrected. ;)