PDA

View Full Version : Wired New York Finished?

GordonGecko
February 12th, 2016, 10:40 AM
It doesn't seem like this is a viable forum anymore, even the small core group of members no longer write or respond. It seems like half a dozen posts across the site on any given day. Did people just go elsewhere or did they join the real world :eek:

Nexis4Jersey
February 12th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Some fled to SSP and SSC , the ones who were banned then went over to YIMBY... SSP has a stronger NYC community , although SSC is starting to catch up... YIMBY activity level is the same as WiredNY... Ive been trying to get SSP & SSC to merge into each other , a lot of ppl seem warm to that idea... Like ive said before numerous times I would like to see WiredNY fold into SSC which has a NJ and NY section to save all the posting history and give a boost to threads. It would be a shame for the Internet to lose all that posting history... I can't see this site lasting another 2 yrs...

infoshare
February 13th, 2016, 12:14 PM
There were a lot of members getting banned from from WNY in years past, and some of them have become regular posters over at SSP, SSC and YIMBY: so that is part of the 'brain drain' and lack of participation that has occurred here at WNY. Another factor - and what is different about YIMBY, SSP and SSC - is that there is nearly a complete absence of debate and argumentation: people on those other sites mostly add informative commentary and have mostly cordial (but brief) discussion.

I believe that Wired New York will continue to thrive long beyond "another 2 years" - even if only as sort of a 'boutique' forum made up of a few regular and long time posters. We continue to have an interesting, group of long time contributors here I there is some degree of familiarity between us that can not be found anywhere else on those other internet forums.

So long live WNY; I doubt it is going anywhere or merging with anyone - but that will be the decision of the site owner.

scumonkey
February 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM
So long live WNY; I doubt it is going anywhere or merging with anyone - but that will be the decision of the site owner.
here here!
;)

Wobert Wedford
February 15th, 2016, 11:48 AM
It would be a great shame to lose WNY but we do need more contributors - let's all see if we can 'recruit' more people, put the word around so-to-speak ....

Merry
January 27th, 2017, 08:00 AM
I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I tried opening WNY. Instead of the forum, a web page appeared with the message that the WNY domain name had expired!! I tried several more times but got the same thing. Despite the significant downturn in activity on the forum, I couldn't imagine that Edward would allow that to happen without first letting us know. So, either it was someone's idea of a bad joke, or the domain has been renewed. I even tried connecting with Edward on LinkedIn to ask him about it.

Anyway, all's well. And perhaps all the more reason to reinvigorate our community.

Alonzo-ny
January 27th, 2017, 12:15 PM
The decline of this forum is a real shame. When I joined and for many years afterwards it was THE place to get updates on anything NYC related. I'd say it peaked around the time I was actually in NYC, 2007. I met some great guys from this website who I should really get in touch with again.

It seemed to get quiet in the few years after I left the city. A lot of long time posters seemed to drift off for whatever reason.

It is true that SSC has much more activity but the quality of the posts is drastically lower. It's really just photo comments and news updates with some inane commentary. There is none of the high brow discussions we would have here.

Overall, it's a great shame but what can we do? Merging would be a terrible idea. WNY would simply disappear into the SSC leviathan.

Does Ed post much here any more? Or other mods? Admittedly I only read the NYC skyscrapers and architecture threads these days. I guess some leadership from the top could revitalise the forum...

Anyway, I still hang around if not saying anything. I do miss the good old days where I'd read damn near every post on this forum. I hope those days can return!

GordonGecko
January 27th, 2017, 03:32 PM
I nearly had a heart attack yesterday when I tried opening WNY. Instead of the forum, a web page appeared with the message that the WNY domain name had expired!!
The domain did expire, but the registrar always provides a generous grace period. The domain was renewed yesterday for a year

TREPYE
April 25th, 2017, 12:15 PM
And perhaps all the more reason to reinvigorate our community.

Any ideas?

SSP and SSC are the epitome of inane and unsophisticated forum discussions. The renders are nice but I genuinely feel dumber after reading some of the commentary. Anything greater than 800 feet is glorified as magnificent without any regard for appearance or nuances.

One thing that I cannot discount is the diminished quality of the skyscraper products in the past 5 years. I for one can speak for my weariness of the constant lament that following NYC architecture gives me. Which is not to say that there aren't some great projects out there but most of them are disheartening monuments to frugality being spoon-fed by greed.

Maybe that can change toward the slightly better one day.

Ed007Toronto
May 2nd, 2017, 09:58 AM
I've reached out to Edward but he doesn't seem interested in doing much to revive the site. I run Urbantoronto.ca (http://urbantoronto.ca) which we started as an antidote to SSP and SSC. NY needs something like it.

EastMillinocket
May 2nd, 2017, 02:50 PM
Is Edward still alive?

Ed007Toronto
May 3rd, 2017, 09:35 AM
Yes. At least he was when I met him last year.

Ninjahedge
August 2nd, 2017, 12:48 PM
Well, looking through and seeing almost nothing except for Jersey City posts, I guess I can say that this site is now in Zombie mode.

Almost no Political discussion, or talk about developments around here. Mostly WW starting all the threads and having last post...

WHERE IS EVERYONE?

EastMillinocket
August 7th, 2017, 10:25 AM
WHERE IS EVERYONE?

I think most of them were euthanized.

GordonGecko
August 8th, 2017, 10:16 AM
I think most of them were euthanized.
By Zippy :eek:

Wobert Wedford
August 18th, 2017, 08:17 AM
I'm still clinging onto the wreckage although the sharks are circling ....

GordonGecko
August 18th, 2017, 10:06 AM
I'm still clinging on to the boat although the sharks are circling ....
I view myself as Wall-E circling the ruins and getting work done :)

futurecity
August 25th, 2017, 04:19 AM
NYC booming and this forum is on the downhill, quite ironique! More interesting projects going on now than anytime when I used to post here in the day.

EastMillinocket
September 2nd, 2017, 11:13 PM
I do hope this forum is archived permanently.

Future historians seeking to uncover what an anonymous group of sanctimonious bloviating blowhards thought of early 21st century NYC architecture could do worse than study this website.

GordonGecko
September 5th, 2017, 10:24 AM
I do hope this forum is archived permanently.

Future historians seeking to uncover what an anonymous group of sanctimonious bloviating blowhards thought of early 21st century NYC architecture could do worse than study this website.
Except that much of the best stuff was hosted on defunct image hosting servers. There are so many dead image links on the site now from older threads

dtolman
September 15th, 2017, 10:15 AM
I've never been more than a bit contributor, even in the sites glory days - but I'm sad to see it decline. There really isn't a site covering NYC sadly that hits the combo of criticism, breaking news, and insider knowledge.

kz1000ps
October 9th, 2017, 11:32 PM
The decline of this forum is a real shame. When I joined and for many years afterwards it was THE place to get updates on anything NYC related. I'd say it peaked around the time I was actually in NYC, 2007. I met some great guys from this website who I should really get in touch with again.

I think a sizable chunk of members drifted off as the number of projects dipped around 2010. Not that I'd call this place a victim of the 2008 recession, but I do think it was the beginning of the (alleged) end.

But what can you do when the core members of your community move on? Zippy, ablarc and lofter1 alone were like 50% of the site, and then you had the phenomenal supporting cast of Derek2k3, stache, Kris, Fabrizio, BrooklynRider, LondonLawyer, pianoman, MidtownGuy, NYatKNIGHT, Gulcrapek, JMGarcia, Stern, and of course TLOZ Link5 (RIP). I read every single post of these people because they were knowledgeable and, in the case of many of them, downright wise. I can't tell you how much I learned from this place.

I would love nothing more than to see this place return to the stimulating forum it once was, but I'm not holding my breath. Edward, thank you so much for providing this place to us for over 15 years now. At its peak it was second only to maybe Cyburbia for truly thought-provoking online urbanist discussion.

Edit: gosh this reads like a damn eulogy :/

EastMillinocket
October 17th, 2017, 06:59 PM
Was this site ever really thought-provoking?

kz1000ps
October 23rd, 2017, 01:20 AM
Absolutely. 2004-08 this place was a hive for sharp minds curious about our environment, and pretty much the best site on the web for NYC development news. The forumer Ablarc in particular was a fountain of knowledge and wisdom who always pushed the conversation forward. I miss his guidance.

Wobert Wedford
November 25th, 2017, 07:13 AM
The only contributions nowadays seem to relate to property, gone are the days of wide-ranging and interesting topics & comments from many contributors.
I think it's time for me to 'call it a day' and leave the forum, it's a pity but there seems little point in staying as it just seems akin to talking to oneself and I'm not ready for the home for the bewildered yet!

Wobert Wedford
November 26th, 2017, 05:50 AM
Goodbye and good luck to all.

GordonGecko
November 28th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Goodbye and good luck to all.
well like I wrote a while back I'm like Wall-E I have no problem roaming a post-apocalyptic Earth when all the humans are gone. Last man standing I guess :)

EastMillinocket
December 19th, 2017, 06:15 PM
Unbelievable.

The end of an era.

GordonGecko
July 9th, 2018, 11:32 AM
no new posts site-wide in days, could this be the end....

https://d1o50x50snmhul.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/dn13369-1_450.jpg