PDA

View Full Version : BIG APPLE TWINS - GROUND AND SKY ZERO MEMORIAL

Suzana Spasic
January 28th, 2003, 11:59 AM
This is a proposal of famous painter and sculptor Olja Ivanjicki, who made a project using a nick name of New York, The BIG APPLE.
Why nobody has ever made something with the apple on top, as it is a symbol of New York?
See the web site www.oljaivanjicki.com or click the icon on this page for www. and you will go to web requested.

(Edited by Suzana Spasic at 7:13 am on Jan. 28, 2003)

DougGold
January 28th, 2003, 05:30 PM
Interesting, but to my eyes it too closely resembles *one of those nuclear power plant smokestacks. Is the huge apple on top perhaps too much a touch of Disney theme-park?

(Edited by DougGold at 10:11 am on Jan. 29, 2003)

ZippyTheChimp
January 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM
That image should answer your question.

Wait, there's the apple in the hat at Shea Stadium.

Suzana Spasic
January 29th, 2003, 04:11 AM
There is a very good text on site which explain the buildings. Those are two buildings and between them is Ground and Sky Zero Memorial, with elevating stairs that look like human DNA and the Apple is on the top like a Memorial for all those victims of 9\11.

Kris
January 29th, 2003, 04:48 AM
This is wonderfully delirious.

NYguy
January 29th, 2003, 05:08 AM
I like the idea of a big apple in times square, or in the harbor, or on that island in front of the UN. *Not on top of a building though...

Suzana Spasic
January 29th, 2003, 07:56 AM
Two buildings are semi circular, and the apple is to be a Memorial for victims. It will be like some museum, with photos, videos, families, stories... And stairs are like life, like DNA. I think it is very good. And especially with lights, for every holiday or celebration the apple will have special colored lights, and maybe some light which will look like pharos.

NYatKNIGHT
January 29th, 2003, 10:01 AM
It is drastically out of scale with the rest of the skyline, and I agree, it looks like a nuclear power plant smoke stack. Put the apple on top of 1 Liberty Plaza.

Eugenius
January 29th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Not to mention that the apple looks like the logo of Apple Computer. :)

Edward
January 29th, 2003, 12:22 PM
It is not a new idea to decorate a facade of a building with statues, leaves and fruits. There are many buildings with statues on top. I do not recall any buildings with giant fruit on top, however. I must admit it is an intriguing idea. I wonder what fruit other buildings in the WTC complex should have. Perhaps 7 WTC should have a carrot on top, and 1 Liberty Plaza a *banana. Cesar Pelli designed the buildings of World Financial Center to have roofs of different shape, but the fruit idea is so much more radical.

The "Mummy, I see the Apple!" idea also deserves attention. It makes a building instantly recognizable on the skyline, *especially for children. I would imagine there are children that would not know which building is ESB and which Chrysler. It would really help if we had a giant onion on the spire of Empire State and a giant potato on top of Chrysler.

Gulcrapek
January 29th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Right on

Kris
January 29th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Killer sarcasm. This proposal did give me a big smile for a moment though. So candid.

Suzana Spasic
January 29th, 2003, 04:32 PM
It would be pop art, that is what makes NY unique.
Every building may have something recognizable on top...
Like garden...

ZippyTheChimp
January 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM
And change the nickname to the Big Salad.

Suzana Spasic
January 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM
You missed the point. The apple is for BIG APPLE, as a symbol of the City.

NYatKNIGHT
January 30th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. *;)

Suzana Spasic
January 30th, 2003, 10:36 AM
ooooohhh!
Why not?
:confused:

NYatKNIGHT
January 30th, 2003, 10:53 AM
I'm pretty sure that no one missed the point about the Big Apple, but that's okay, anyone who puts such time and energy into a new WTC design has their heart in the right place.

Suzana Spasic
January 30th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Yes, you're right. Especially we who are from Belgrade and know very good how it looks like when somebody destroys buildings and kill people in your city. We were victims, and this proposal is when victim forgives...

DougGold
January 30th, 2003, 04:21 PM
Indeed. Anyone who takes the time, heart and talent to conceptualize a WTC proposal is a good person in my book. I wish more people were more active and public in their ideas.

(Edited by DougGold at 4:35 pm on Jan. 30, 2003)

JCDJ
January 31st, 2003, 01:18 AM
I'd like to see some more detailed information about it, like whether it will be a complete memorial, or museum or what. She went to great depths to describe the feeling it's supposed to evoke. I like the design, and I'd be content with it being in the NY Metro area, but I don't know if being in place of the WTC is the best idea. On the other hand, who knows, maybe if it was built it just might find a way into peoples' hearts.

Suzana Spasic
January 31st, 2003, 08:44 AM
I will send you a text about Memorial and we will put it on web site soon.

Olja Ivanjicki
January 31st, 2003, 09:11 AM
Ground floor of the Memorial is between two semicircular buildings. Elevating stairs and transparent elevators go to the Apple on top. Ground and Sky Zero. It is like travelling. Groud floor will have one central room which will be *Memorial room. It is a room of memories of those who come to do obeisance to those who were victims of the terrorists. There will be a flower disc and mirror disc. Flower disc is a place in that room for candles and flowers and the Mirror disc is above, so that every flower and candle and everything that people bring there will be in mirror on top too. The room will be like a big moving room, with cameras and big screens, with memories, with new technologies. Elevators can take us on top, inside the Apple (or elevating stairs, which are not so fast but the idea of Memorial does not need anything to be fast, it is contemplative). The Apple has *lot of space, so one lower part could be with restorants, cinemas. Upper part of the Apple can be a museum, with photos, films, pictures of NY and old WTC, with photos of those who were killed, with some voice telling their names, with stories and photos of all who took part in rescuing...
The Apple will have colors depend on day, holiday, it will have a light like a pharos that will go round. It can have colors of American Flag, or special for some importan holidays...
The stairs are like DNA, and they have red and blue, like our bloodflow.
Maybe these images on my web site are not the best, but we still work on some, we will put them as soon as possible.
Thanks

Suzana Spasic
January 31st, 2003, 09:15 AM
Olja Ivanjicki came to Forum. All questions on her proposal for WTC we will answer

TAFisher123
January 31st, 2003, 10:56 AM
This building is a great idea!!! but it does rank a distant second to the farm idea that was floating around, or the other idea about leaving the entire bathtub fully exposed and building nothing

Suzana Spasic
January 31st, 2003, 11:02 AM
TAFisher123, thanks!
Olja and I will send more text and explanations. And, we are really open for all new ideas, it is not of importance who gave an idea, the most important is that NY gets what deserves, and NY deserves best.

Suzana Spasic
January 31st, 2003, 11:25 AM
One of the points is that NY was a center of Pop Art nad NY is still business and artistic center of the world.

Olja Ivanjicki
January 31st, 2003, 12:21 PM
I belong to the generation of Pop Artists (Warhol, Rauschenberg...) *and i was very happy for what New York gave me, and i would like to give something to New York. That was the idea of taking part in this proposal. I really love NY and I was a little bit desperate when I saw proposals.

Suzana Spasic
February 1st, 2003, 02:16 PM
All we can see is that the system is too closed for new people. Architecture is connected with art. Le Corbusier is a good example...

Suzana Spasic
February 3rd, 2003, 09:39 AM
Or Leonardo and Michelangelo...

Suzana Spasic
February 3rd, 2003, 11:43 AM
Well, does anybody likes this proposal?

Suzana Spasic
February 5th, 2003, 11:42 AM
This is better than THINK.

wolfram wallner
February 5th, 2003, 02:31 PM
big apple twins ground and sky zero memorial of olja ivanjicki is the best project

ZippyTheChimp
February 5th, 2003, 03:52 PM
This is getting spam-like.

mirjana
February 6th, 2003, 06:49 PM
The Big Apple idea is wonderful! *I love the theme that transcends the economic, political. The design lifts us onto a different plane and honors the universal ideals represented by the symbolism in the design, ideals this world should aspire to to avoid a repeat performance of September 11 on anybody's soil. *Thank you Olja.

Sanja
February 7th, 2003, 06:19 PM
This is very original idea. Keep on going,Olja!

Edward
February 7th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Would anyone mind if I move this thread to the FRUIT area of the HOME & GARDEN section of our Forum?

Kris
February 7th, 2003, 08:22 PM
How about to the COMPOST?

Gulcrapek
February 7th, 2003, 08:39 PM
Or the incinerator?

amigo32
February 7th, 2003, 09:10 PM
It might blend in nicely at the bottom of the East River.

Suzana Spasic
February 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Oh, thanks, how interesting ideas...
But the best idea is that the apple could be a pharos of new world...

Suzana Spasic
February 8th, 2003, 06:04 PM
Never mind the finalists are chosen,
you may vote on site www.oljaivanjicki.com

Andrew
February 15th, 2003, 07:56 AM
I think this idea could be useful for the memorial. If, of course, the author changes some things. Idea of Memorial at Ground Zero and Sky Zero is good. *That place could be a museum of 9/11, with photos, remains, movies, with names and images of those who lost their lives, it could be a place where families could come... We need new buildings but Memorial is something that should be made, as a remembrance of all those killed there and as an invitation to all people to make peace, not war, to love, and live together.

Andrew
February 15th, 2003, 03:54 PM
I found this proposal in Skyscrapers and Architecture. And it is now in Anything Goes... WHY?
It is about wtc...

Andrew
February 28th, 2003, 05:52 AM
Pitty,
This was a good proposal.
But, you may go for Memorial competition...
Why not...

NYC4ever
March 4th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Doug Gold, i couldnt agree more with both your comments. People who plan the WTC are great, but the apple thing does look a little too similar to a nuclear power plant smokestack. That was the first impression I had of it. I like the idea though.

Andrew
March 9th, 2003, 06:46 AM
No, if you have read the text on this proposal (at the same site) you would not think of it as a nuclear plant. But, what about the Memorial part in BIG APPLE TWINS? The idea of going up and down, with DNA stairs, and The Apple as a memorial museum or something, that is impressive idea, don't you think?

The Brain
March 15th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Apple is an interesting thought. But my first reaction is..you can easily spot it from a rouge aircraft. I wouldnt like to work in that building.

Andrew
March 17th, 2003, 09:42 AM
I hope it will not happen again with the planes... It would be too much, right?

NYatKNIGHT
March 17th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Right.

Andrew
April 2nd, 2003, 03:07 AM
What is happening with the Memorial competition?

ZippyTheChimp
April 2nd, 2003, 06:20 AM
Soon

Suzana Spasic
April 5th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Hardly wait...

Bennie B
April 5th, 2003, 02:47 PM
One question: is Steve Jobs behind this? *:)

Suzana Spasic
April 7th, 2003, 06:13 AM
No. :)

Suzana Spasic
April 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Andy, thanks for support...