PDA

View Full Version : WNY buildings

Gulcrapek
February 22nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
I used to design my own buildings quite a lot, and have at least 40 external drawings. When I started to get blank I'd ask for suggestions from others and what they'd want in a building and work from there. The results have changed very much over time given my advancement in drawing techniques. My buildings now aren't glorious or anything, but they definitely get the point across and depending on which can look realistic. Some are done in scale diagram style e.g. skyscraperpage.com.

So I was wondering, would any of you like to suggest criteria for my next building?

I do best with 'new residential' style, basing my work on the general idea behind some SLCE, Costas Kondylis etc buildings. However I try not to be too cheesy or retro. I recently made one entitled 'kondylisexp' which was, you guessed it, a tryout of a Kondylish-ish building. Didn't work out that well, I have beige brick striped with brown bands and two towers coming out of a base that looks like an apple pie.

However, don't let that limit suggestions. I'm willing to try any style. I do ask that you limit floor number to 90, preferably below 50.

What are you waiting for? Let's start the Wired New York Tower.

Gulcrapek
March 2nd, 2003, 12:32 PM
Hm. No takers?

I itch to please... literally. *scratches ear*

Eugenius
March 3rd, 2003, 11:19 AM
OK...
How's this for inspiration:
http://www.render.ru/gallery/index.php3?act=award&id=7411

I doubt that these would work in real life. *But it sure as hell looks cool.

Eugenius
March 3rd, 2003, 11:22 AM
The beige brick and brown striped building may have an eerie similarity to the Zebra. *I don't know if that is what you had in mind...
Where would the building be located? (I guess the context should to some extent determine the features.)

Kris
March 4th, 2003, 03:40 PM
I'd like you to design a Gehry-esque building. I know you're a fan.

Gulcrapek
March 4th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Ooooohhh yes.... Gehrylicious.... *drool*

...back to reality, no the building was banded on every floor, it didn't look like the Zebra. I gave up on the project.

I've been having ideas for a residential building for a while. Lightly tinted green glass, kind of whitish/green and semi transparent, covering a building of 38 floors in a kind of interrupted hexagon shape. The problem with this is drawing the glass. Maybe I'll just make sketches first.

STONE DIVISION
March 13th, 2003, 10:25 PM
TEST123
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/pb96a37deb21b9bd20a9522340379cde8/fc824e31.jpg

Gulcrapek
March 13th, 2003, 10:45 PM
As this thread been bumped in a way...

I'm working on a new idea I came up with in chem class today. It was very boring.

A hotel and residence for Brooklyn Bridge Park. It draws from 237 Park Avenue, River Place II, and 11 Times Square.

Kris
March 14th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Stone, testing belongs in Forum Issues - not in any random thread.

The Brain
March 14th, 2003, 09:29 AM
What ever you decide, if under 10 stories give it a cornice. If over 10 stries some brick relief. No more econoboxes please.

Gulcrapek
March 14th, 2003, 04:01 PM
Both of the buildings I am planning will be over 10 stories. However there will be no brick involved, only glass and possibly aluminum.

Gulcrapek
March 14th, 2003, 07:54 PM
Initial study: Brooklyn Bridge Park Hotel

(not a pretty rendering, just a basic schematic)

http://community.webshots.com/sym/image5/3/49/79/66434979UevHON_ph.jpg

DominicanoNYC
March 14th, 2003, 08:10 PM
I like buildings that end with a spire, but these are rarely built any more.

Gulcrapek
March 16th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Watercrest Tower

http://community.webshots.com/sym/image5/0/64/4/66606404rvQnFk_ph.jpg

DominicanoNYC
March 16th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Nice building. Is it just a rendering or is it being build some place?

Gulcrapek
March 16th, 2003, 03:22 PM
It's my design, not being built anywhere.

The original bmp was much clearer and there were divisions in the glass.