PDA

View Full Version : Ugliest building in the city - Your picks

Gulcrapek
May 24th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Mine would be the Uris Building, Theatre Row Tower, and the Robert Livingston in Brooklyn. One NY Plaza and that 60s set back building you see straight past the exit of the Bk Bridge in Manhattan are honorable mentions..

chris
May 25th, 2003, 04:14 AM
No, the banana fudge bomb:

http://www.c-grayson.com/posted_images/fudger.jpg

But the new Westin Hotel comes close.

Merry
May 25th, 2003, 04:42 AM
55 Water Street
1 Liberty Plaza
Rockefeller Center additions along 6th Avenue

Qtrainat1251
May 25th, 2003, 07:30 PM
The Metlife building on Park avenue. Completely blocks view, looks like an ugly erector set.

NoyokA
May 25th, 2003, 09:33 PM
Tribeca skyscrapers are batting 1000....

Tribeca Tower
ATT Long Lines
Jacob Javits Federal Building

NoyokA
May 25th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Christian; can you move this post to architecture and delete this post.

Kris
May 25th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Huh. Is it okay with you, Gul? I thought this was more of a personal taste thread.

(Edited by Christian Wieland at 9:06 pm on May 25, 2003)

phxmania2001
May 25th, 2003, 10:27 PM
The Marriot Marquis is just totally reprehensible, IMO.

There are a lot of ugly residential towers in Hell's Kitchen too.

Gulcrapek
May 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM
chris lowercase: the fudge bomb is Theatre Row Tower

Chris uppercase: wherever you think it goes

TLOZ Link5
May 26th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Everyone else has mentioned some of my picks, so I'll add these three to the pile:

Park Lane Hotel on Central Park South

Lenox Hill Hospital on Park Avenue--the pink concrete one

Madison Square Merchandise Mart

NoyokA
May 26th, 2003, 07:59 PM
I have no problem with the Madison Square Merchandise Mart I actually like the juxtaposition.

It also goes to show the area isnt commercially dormant. Steel on stone, its all good.

(Edited by Stern at 7:00 pm on May 26, 2003)

LuPeRcALiO
May 27th, 2003, 12:11 AM
MetLife looked a lot better when it was a shagadelic airline HQ
http://www.eighty-six.org/unbending/mm6.jpg

Lightning Homer
May 27th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Banana fudge bomb... *
I like that one, yummy ! :biggrin:

TLOZ Link5
May 27th, 2003, 06:36 PM
The massing of the Theatre Row Tower isn't bad. *It's just the facade that is cruddy. *Way too whimsical; it's like the architect was trying to be cute.

Ptarmigan
June 4th, 2003, 02:36 AM
No building in New York is ugly! How could anyone say such a thing like that? Every building in New York fits the city in many ways.

dbhstockton
June 4th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Come on, man. *Open your eyes.

JCMAN320
June 4th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I know since you only visited NYC Ptarmigan, you only saw them for a brief while, but we live here we see these buildings day in and day out. We do have our favorites, and the ones we wish were never even thought of. I love the AOL Time Warner Center and of course the Goldman Sachs on my side of the river. :)

chris
June 4th, 2003, 05:50 PM
http://www.c-grayson.com/posted_images/fudger.jpg

Gulcrapek wrote:
chris lowercase: the fudge bomb is Theatre Row Tower

Yes, but banana fudge bomb is so much more fun to say. A friend of mine took a look inside with a broker and said the apartments are nice, but damn is that an ugly building... and you can't get the true effect unless you see it up close. The tile has a matte finish...

But my opinion of it might be different if it were glossy red and white and looked like a giant cat-in-the-hat, hat!

NoyokA
June 5th, 2003, 10:08 AM
White-brick (high-priced) condo's lining midtown manhattan were a clever deviation from the dark-brick low-income units going up everywhere else. Located in midtown west, where values vary, I find this aspect in addition to the Zebra analogy ridculous.

I hate dark brick, I dont love white brick. This building really is bad.

chris
June 5th, 2003, 02:36 PM
I'm not a fan of brick in general either, but likewise prefer a light brick over the standard unglazed red brick. I think the ugliest view of Manhattan is looking in from the East River just north of the Manhattan bridge. It's a sea of red brick and makes New York look like one giant slum.

I'm not crazy about a lot of the high rise apartments going up on the West side. They don't seem to want to spend any money on them. To me they all look cheap. My fear is that in a dozen years the view of the West side from the Hudson is going to look like a newer version of that view from the East River. All the beautiful buildings of midtown are going to be hidden behind a wall of cheap red brick high rise residential buildings.

I suppose in that respect the banana bomb will distinguish itself and break some of that monotony, which I'm sure was the intention... to make it stand out from the crowd of red and orange brick high rises along 42nd... but that excuses nothing. It's still ugly as hell.

Gulcrapek
June 5th, 2003, 03:17 PM
The buildings you speak of are brown brick, which can be much different from detailed red brick.

Jack Ryan
June 7th, 2003, 11:04 PM
* Stand in the middle of Water Street (off-peak, of course) at about John Street and look south. Aunt Ester!! Is that you??!!

Bob
August 6th, 2004, 08:49 PM
My #1 choice for UGLIEST building has to be that awful tower built right across the street from the old Cities Service Building (70 Pine) in lower Manhattan. I think it's either the JP Morgan HQ, or the building that JP Morgan used to own. Relatively new (in the last 20 years or so), totally intrusive, and UGLY. The lobby is a nightmare, as well. Looks like Gilligan's Island!! Who's the brainiac who thought those oddly-designed latticework columns in the lobby would be inspiring??

(If I were Bill Gates, I would purchase this building and then tear it down!)

TLOZ Link5
August 8th, 2004, 12:05 AM
60 Wall Street? It's okay, just lackluster and intrusive. It interrupts the way 20 Exchange, 40 Wall and 70 Pine used to play against one another. (Just so you know, however, it's now owned by Deutsche Bank.) If you ask me, Chase Manhattan, for all its sleekness, is even worse because it totally blocks views of 40 Wall from the north.

I say dismantle both of these towers and rebuild them in Chinatown.

Schadenfrau
August 9th, 2004, 12:45 PM
The hideously gaudy Trump Tower.

krulltime
August 9th, 2004, 01:02 PM
I don't think Trump tower is hideous at all. I think is black beauty tower. It is is built simple but TALL and slender. It works well. It looks great in the skyline IMO. It alters the color of the skyline when you see it from far.

The awful verizon building next to the Brooklyn bridge has to go. It hides the the federal and city buidings from the bridge.

Schadenfrau
August 9th, 2004, 01:09 PM
I respectfully disagree. From up close (which is how I view it), Trump Tower is tacky.

NewYorkYankee
August 9th, 2004, 04:33 PM
I dont think it looks good in the skyline at all, its too dark, too gloomy, maybe if it was the color of the bloomberg tower... now THAT would be exceptional!

ZippyTheChimp
August 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Are you three talking about the same Trump Tower?

60 Wall goes beyond ugly -it's silly looking. And they couldn't have picked a more intrusive location.

My vote goes to 55 Water. A bloated mess, and no way to hide it.

Johnnyboy
August 9th, 2004, 11:41 PM
the Trump tower was suppose to be golden but, sadly it was switched to black. It would had been so beautifull if it was golden like originally planned :(

TLOZ Link5
August 11th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Ehhh, it woulda looked like a giant Borgata Hotel in the middle of Manhattan :?

ablarc
December 31st, 2006, 02:20 PM
Ugliest building? Five of them are together in this picture.

And ... the ugliest is also the biggest !

http://66.230.220.70/images/post/ugly/11.jpg
Thanx to MJPhilly at SSP.

MidtownGuy
April 7th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Chelsea Piers. Hands down.

krulltime
April 7th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Chelsea Piers. Hands down.

I agree with that. Couldn't they now make that place a little more architectural appealing looking.

MidtownGuy
April 7th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Sometimes I think it's the most offensive building I've ever seen in my whole life. It's river-blocking location makes it even more hateful.

NoyokA
April 7th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Im consolidating this thread with the existing Ugliest Building Thread. There is no need for redundant threads on the same topic.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12601