PDA

View Full Version : Has New York Ever Flooded?

Ptarmigan
June 9th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Has New York ever flooded before in its history? Today, two years ago, Houston was hit by a severe flooding after Tropical Storm Allison dumped 28 inches of rain in 12 hours and left 22 people dead.

(Edited by Ptarmigan at 2:47 pm on June 9, 2003)

dbhstockton
June 9th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Are you referring to just Manhattan, or all the boroughs? *I'd have to say yes without giving much thought to it.

Ptarmigan
June 9th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Quote: from dbhstockton on 7:33 pm on June 9, 2003
Are you referring to just Manhattan, or all the boroughs? *I'd have to say yes without giving much thought to it.

I meant to say all the boroughs.

ZippyTheChimp
June 9th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Hurricane Sept 3 1821: Only recorded hurricane to have passed directly over NYC. Tides increased 13 ft in an hour.
East River converged with the Hudson at Canal St, everything south was flooded.

Ptarmigan
June 10th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Quote: from ZippyTheChimp on 8:51 pm on June 9, 2003
Hurricane Sept 3 1821: Only recorded hurricane to have passed directly over NYC. Tides increased 13 ft in an hour.
East River converged with the Hudson at Canal St, everything south was flooded.

Ouch! That could be REALLY BAD if it happened this hurricane season. That would be horrendous. Ugh! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

professionalx
October 2nd, 2003, 02:05 AM
I know there's no point in commenting on a dead thread, but as a newbie trolling around I have to add:

Lower Manhattan flooded most recently in December 1992. A freak combination of lunar high tide & a storm off the coast combined to push the harbor up into the streets for a few hours on a business morning. I'm not sure how far it got, but the Times ran a photo of one of those inflatable Jacques Cousteau-type boats going through the intersection of Maiden Lane & Front St. Most of the towers along Water St. were shut down because of flooded mechanical rooms in the basements.