PDA

View Full Version : Group rallies to restore The World Trade Center

Chris2005
July 27th, 2003, 04:59 PM
JULY 27TH, 2003

A group rallied outside City Hall Saturday to call for the twin towers to be replaced.

A group calling itself the World Trade Center Restoration Movement is protesting the redevelopment plan by architect Daniel Libeskind, saying the design is not the public choice. The varied group of activists and business executives want the twin towers to be rebuilt as they were.

“I think it's important that we restore them as they were – only stronger – as a way of saying no to Al Qaeda and that we remain a free and prosperous nation,” said syndicated columnist Deroy Murdock. “Unfortunately, Daniel Libeskind's switch-blade park, as I call it, is a nightmare vision. It doesn't stand for what this country does in term of our economic strength and prowess. I think the best way to just say no to Al Qaeda is to put the towers back where they belong.”

Libeskind’s design, including the world’s tallest tower and a sunken space for a memorial that preserves the empty look of the site, was chosen after a period of public comment by a committee organized by the Lower Manhattan Development Corporation.

“All the way along,” said Louis Epstein, the founder of the World Trade Center Restoration Movement, “the officials have not been listening to people except for show. They have their preconceived notions, and they're not prepared to do what we really have to do. And we are not going to let them get away with it.”

The group also wants restoration of all commercial office and retail space that was destroyed in the World Trade Center attack. *

Source-NY1 News (www.ny1.com)

DougGold
July 27th, 2003, 06:44 PM
do these guys have a website? any way to know how to be involved?

Kris
July 27th, 2003, 07:07 PM
#Moderation Mode

<a href="http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=7&topic=204" target="_self">Moved here</a>

Chris2005
July 27th, 2003, 08:50 PM
http://www.buildanewwtc.org/

Freedom Tower
July 28th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Nice, Ive been waiting for something like this to happen... Although I think its too late :(

ZippyTheChimp
July 28th, 2003, 02:54 PM
On Saturday we were walking up Broadway to the Village. At about 11:30, we passed city hall park. I counted 13 people,
a stack of unassembled barricades, and one cop reading a newspaper.

Not exactly a rally.

Jasonik
July 28th, 2003, 02:56 PM
ouch

Agglomeration
July 28th, 2003, 08:01 PM
If this is how defeatist and down and out New York has become, then I fear for the Big Apple's future :sad:. How come visionaries like these people are so rare?

ZippyTheChimp
July 28th, 2003, 08:36 PM
Why is disagreeing with them defeatist?

Are they visionaries, or misguided?

Agglomeration
July 29th, 2003, 09:42 AM
Basically these people are angry about how Pataki, the LMDC, and to a lesser extent Silverstein have allegedly usurped the rebuilding process and manipulated it to their own ends to create a symbol of death and cowardice, symbolized by a flimsy spire, at least as they see it. This is how Libeskind was selected, by a backdoor process that we all know about but many people outside this forum don't.

ZippyTheChimp
July 29th, 2003, 02:34 PM
No, these people are angry that Pataki, the LMDC, and to a lesser extent Silverstein did not choose their particular vision. They are just as intolerant of other viewpoints as those who demanded a 16 acre memorial.

Jasonik
July 29th, 2003, 06:54 PM
How visionary is it to identically replace a building?

Visionary?! *

Visionaries see the future, they don't dwell on a nostalgic dream.

Agglomeration
July 30th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Well, I don't see how a 70-floor building with a spire on top is any more visionary. But that's just me.