PDA

View Full Version : Architecture Software

Chris2005
August 2nd, 2003, 03:43 AM
Hey does anyone know where i can get my self software that specifically designs any type of building on the computer??

Kris
August 2nd, 2003, 10:14 AM
#Moderation Mode

You want to become an auto-architect?

<a href="http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=7&topic=215" target="_self">Moved here</a>

Chris2005
August 2nd, 2003, 12:30 PM
Well no....first i tried to find out where i can get material so i can build metalic models of skyscrapers....but now i figure it would be even better if i knew the names of some software that ur able to make skyscrapers and like design every floor and stuff like that....like you see with all those WTC renderings...

Ernest Burden III
August 3rd, 2003, 09:19 PM
What do you want to do?

Most architecture is done with CAD software of a variety of brands:
Autocad
Datacad
Microstation
I think that is the correct order, too. *Autocad has the lions share of the CAD market, and for the same reasons that Microsoft has such a big market share. *What a surprise--it's overpriced and under-achieves the rest. *It costs about $3500, but isn't set up to do architecture, per se, so you need an add-on like ADT, which brings you up to about $4500, I think. *Datacad is more like $1000 I think (I use it) and made for architectural drafting, design and 3D modeling.

But for rendering you would use other software--the most popular, MAX--another expensive product from the good folks that force--I mean bring you--Autocad. *MAX is about $3800, but the built-in renderer sucks, so add another $1000 or so on to that for a third-party rendering engine. *Or you can use Lightwave, Maya, Cinema4D, the one I use is Lightscape--killed off by the Autocad people because it made such PRETTY, accurate pictures. *It was making MAX look bad.

But you will need Photoshop or similar.
You will also need a lot of time to learn the software, plus time to understand what you are building in the first place. *Better to just leave it to the professionals.

Oh, and a computer for rendering has to be a good one, so figure about $5000 for one of those...

There are entry-level CAD/rendering software available--either low-cost, or as shareware or maybe even freeware. *You can search for it. *So back to the top: *what is it you want to do?

(Edited by Ernest Burden III at 9:23 pm on Aug. 3, 2003)

Jasonik
August 4th, 2003, 08:34 PM
If you use a MAC ..ughh, like I do at work there is VectorWorks, which used to be called MiniCad -an apt name. Pretty lightweight compared to the industry standard AutoCAD, but is curiously powerful for some parametric solid design, and curiously unstable as well (Cobalt is very good for this more industrial type of design). *
VectorWorks' strength lies in the way symbols posess 3D information while appearing proper and printable in plan view. *A great wood-frame drafting program. * Rendering is pretty weak, but you can make QuickTime animations and print pdfs so its handy for e-mailing concepts to clients. *
I can't imagine designing a skyscraper with it, then again I can't imagine designing a skyscraper without a complete knowledge of heavy steel framing and structural mechanics. *

To learn any drafting program a considerable investment of time must be made. *I would suggest rather than buying a program; take a night class and stay in the computer labs and log about 4-6hrs a day. *If this doesn't sound like fun to you.... * * * * ;)

Chris2005
August 5th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Can I use Photoshop Elements also? If so, can i use it alone? Im thinking if i drew a building on a sheet of paper then scanned it,then did the works with Photoshop Elements. Would that work?