PDA

View Full Version : What you think about Russia?

Moscow
August 28th, 2003, 04:38 PM
I from Russia, Moscow. I live in Russia.
i want know, what you think about Russia?

Freedom Tower
August 28th, 2003, 10:54 PM
I think Russia is an interesting country. Is it true you are planning to build the new worlds tallest building in moscow? From what I've seen on TV it is cold much of the time there. Is that true? I also think you should stop helping north korea and iran with their nuclear programs, but I have a feeling you won't. I also think you guys should do something about the terrorist chechnyans blowing you up all the time. I also heard your economy is doing better than it was 10 years ago, is this true? You see, I don't know too much but I have a lot of questions. If you want to tell us about Russia, please do I'm interested to learn.

Jasonik
August 28th, 2003, 11:48 PM
I was in the C.I.S. in 1992. *Moscow, two weeks, St. Petersburg one.

It was a time of hope, of enthusiasm toward capitalistic freedom, and curiosity toward democracy. *The currency was very unstable, and professionals that were previously employed by the state, scientists and engineers, were uncertain for their future.

I understand the IMF was a bit meddlesome initially, as was the mafia. *How have these issues turned out? *Is there corruption in the banking industry?

I remember that at the time, public parks and other government property was in disrepair, - lawns unmowed, trees unpruned, buildngs unmaintained. *I'm sure all this is now different.

The Moscow subway is AMAZING! *Clean, decorated with exquisite mosaic portraits, chandeliers, - *very romantic.

I'm getting nostalgic now - I will return. :)

New Opera Thread (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/topic.cgi?forum=6&topic=22)

Moscow
August 29th, 2003, 08:31 AM
Freedom Tower: Hello! :) Yes, In Russia will be constructed new buildings, named "Moscow City". The highest building will be height of 200 floors, more than 600 meters. I live near to area where skyscrapers "Moscow City" are under construction.

Yes. In Russia very cold. Temperature in the winter -20С / -30 C In Siberia (Ural, Novosibirsk, etc...) -45C

I think, the American intrusion into Iraq has the greater basis for criticism, than the help of Russia to Northern Korea and Iran.

Yes, our economy has growth of gross national product of It of 7 % there were no last 10 years. A situation in the country at president Putin very stable. Personally I and my family we live normally. All that is necessary - is.

Ask, that you interests. And me interestingly your opinion about Russia.

Желаю счастья! = Zhelay Schastya!!! (Russian) *= I wish happiness! (English)

Moscow
August 29th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Jasonik:
Corruption is everywhere. Other business - its{her} sizes and scales. As I already spoke earlier, the situation in the country is stable, the level of corruption is reduced. To leave from Russia I do not wish. I want to live here, in the native great and mighty country Russia.

Our underground is beautiful. It is the indisputable fact. Every day I go in institute by the subway.
Welcome to Russia again! :)

to ALL:
I have a question to you. Whether really New York subway people financially poorly provided, from low social layers of the population use basically? Such information has developed after viewing the American films where in New York subway people of the lowest social class are shown. It so?

At us, Moscow subway people of different social layers use, (as in the working days in the center of Moscow simply to not pass, all roads are borrowed with automobiles). My institute is located in the center of Moscow.

Zoe
August 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM
I think that depiction of the poor and lower class citizens using the subways in NY is a bit overplayed in movies and entertainment. *The Mayor of NYC uses the subway as do a significant portion of the middle class. *Even the wealthy will ride it from time to time, but it is more limited to certain subway lines and during safer hours. *Meaning a millionaire that lives in the Upper East Side would not take the subway at 3 in the morning and instead would take a taxi, but may use the subway for their morning commute into downtown.

(Edited by Zoe at 10:51 am on Aug. 29, 2003)

Kris
August 29th, 2003, 10:53 AM
Most New Yorkers use the subway. It's not pretty but it's extensive.

Kris
August 29th, 2003, 10:58 AM
I like the part-mine part-public restroom look.

Freedom Tower
August 29th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Sorry to digress on the topic of Russia, but why does Putin think it is better to arm maniacs with WMD rather than to disarm them of WMD?

We got rid of a nutjob. You are arming two nutjobs. Do the math. The Iraqi people were cheering when we rolled in. It's because they are happy. The world needs to find something else to complain about.

(Edited by Freedom Tower at 11:37 am on Aug. 29, 2003)

Freedom Tower
August 29th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Hey Moscow I have another question. Can you tell us more about this "Moscow City" project? Maybe post some pictures. It is very interesting. Sounds like an enormous thing they're building.

LF22
August 29th, 2003, 01:07 PM
actually, it's mostly the chinese that are arming the the North Koreans and Iranians. I would know, because I myself am Chinese-Canadian. The arms exporters in China keep pretty low-key however so you don't hear much about them, just about russia helping Iran build nuclear reactors. For example, roughly half of all Iraqi tanks and airplanes came from China. They were just copies of russian equipment so nobody could ever told them apart. I wish China would pick some useful allies for once, not just Iran, Iraq, Cuba, and North Korea, the bottom of the pits. But change is slowly happening and China is gradually distancing itself from these allies.

Kris
August 29th, 2003, 01:36 PM
End of digression.

DominicanoNYC
August 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM
Quote: from Freedom Tower on 11:41 am on Aug. 29, 2003
Hey Moscow I have another question. Can you tell us more about this "Moscow City" project? Maybe post some pictures. It is very interesting. Sounds like an enormous thing they're building.

I actually stumbled onto this project in my usual surfing of skyscrapers.com. Here's a link: http://skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/pr/100286/ I think that Russia is a cool and interesting place. I'd like to visit it sometime.

ZippyTheChimp
August 29th, 2003, 02:18 PM
The guy wants to exchange cultural information, and we bombard him with global arms proliferation.

From Metro Planet, the Moscow metro:
http://us.metropla.net/index2.htm

The NYC subway is larger, 368 km to 269 km, and has more stations, 468 to 165. The Moscow Metro has twice the ridership, 9 million to 4.7 million (per day).
NYC subway operates round the clock; Metro shuts down over night.

Some of the Moscow stations are very ornate.
Photos here: http://beeflowers.com/Metro/index.htm

LF22
August 29th, 2003, 02:33 PM
Moscow, is it true that people in Moscow wait outside McDonalds for hours because american food is so popular now?

Freedom Tower
August 29th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the link dominicano. Skyscrapers.com lists the main building as "Never Built". It makes it sound like it isn't going to happen. Whereas Moscow says it is U/C. Maybe Moscow was referring to one of the other buildings in Moscow City development?

Freedom Tower
August 29th, 2003, 03:01 PM
That would be crazy if true LF22, especially since McDonalds is fast food.

TLOZ Link5
August 29th, 2003, 03:37 PM
Hey Moscow,
I don't have much of an opinion of Russia because I haven't been there; however I think that there's plenty of potential and justification for a very prosperous and secure democracy in the coming years. *Moscow and St. Petersburg, from what I've heard are very beautiful cities and I'd love to visit them one day.

As for your question about NYC's subways, yes they are quite ugly, but regardless extremely safe and efficient. *People of all social standings take the subway because it's convenient, the trains are comfortable for the most part, and a ride is relatively cheap. *You obviously need to keep in mind that the subway is extremely old, and that most improvements and extensions to the line are contextual to the original design. *Christian's analogy (part mine, part public restroom) is quite apt.

Moscow
August 29th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Thank you for answer. *But I cannot present that our mayor of Moscow Yurii Luzhkov used our subway :)

Freedom Tower:
DominicanoNYC posted here useful url :)
Я могу сфотографировать для вас стройку Moscow-City, но не думаю что это целесообразно. А все основные сведения есть на этом хорошем сайте http://skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/pr/100286/ (by DominicanoNYC) Если вы имеете вопросы, я постараюсь ответить. :) Можно даже сфотографировать стройку на digital camera.
Building "Tower 2000" will be constructered by 2010 year. "Tower Russia" will be most highest in the world.

LF22:
(ABOUT MCDONALDS)! NO! NO! NO!
Anybody do not wait outside McDonalds, but American food too popular. McDonalds attend a lot of rich businessman!!! *he-he! :) McDonalds in America - Snack bar (poor people), McDonalds in Russia - (rich people). he he :)

Gulcrapek
August 29th, 2003, 05:00 PM
The subway stations I saw at that link are beautiful.

Moscow
August 29th, 2003, 05:09 PM
(with corrections)
I badly speak on english, sorry :(

Thank you for answer. *But I cannot present that our mayor of Moscow Yurii Luzhkov used our subway :)

Freedom Tower:
DominicanoNYC posted here useful url :)
I can photograph for you construction Moscow-City, but I do not think that it expediently. And all basic data are on this good site http://skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/pr/100286/ (by DominicanoNYC) If you have questions, I shall try to answer.:) It is possible even to photograph construction on digital camera.
Building "Tower 2000" will be constructered by 2010 year. "Tower Russia" will be most highest in the world.
I was referring to Moscow-City project!!!

LF22:
(ABOUT MCDONALDS)! NO! NO! NO!
Anybody do not wait outside McDonalds, but American food too popular. McDonalds attend a lot of rich businessman!!! *he-he! :) McDonalds in America - Snack bar (poor people), McDonalds in Russia - (rich people). he he :)
I don't like McDonaldt and never eat there! :( McDonalds harmful to health.
Muck and poison. I shall better go in good Russian restaurant.

TLOZ Link5: I use Moscow subway and get used only such subway as in Moscow.

Kris
August 29th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Quote: from Gulcrapek on 5:00 pm on Aug. 29, 2003
The subway stations I saw at that link are beautiful.

They alone might account for the impressive ridership. It's like everyman gets to roll in a top-of-the-line Benz.

TLOZ Link5
August 29th, 2003, 07:40 PM
Quote: from Moscow on 5:09 pm on Aug. 29, 2003
(with corrections)
I badly speak on english, sorry :(

No need to apologize. *You speak English better than we speak Russian ;)

Fletch52
August 30th, 2003, 12:48 PM
I think Russia is a grand, beautiful country that has had downfalls due to selfish and corrupt leadership. I have not had the chance to visit Russia, but may be coming on a mission trip sometime in the near future! :)

Freedom Tower
August 30th, 2003, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the information Moscow. I can't wait to see what the Tower of Russia will look like when done. Please, if you have the time, inform us of any updates there in Moscow. However 2010 is quite some time away so I dont expect to see much anytime soon.

stanley
June 27th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I from Russia, Moscow. I live in Russia.
i want know, what you think about Russia? I think russia is an interessting country. Especially the big cities like St.Pete & Mocsow. But the corrupt system isnt really good. i hope there will be some changes soon. ;)