PDA

View Full Version : Please chime in guys: A question of residential extremes.

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
September 4th, 2003, 05:00 PM
I'll be honest with you, I live in a suburb of Lansing Michigan which has come to grow in my mind as a not so enriching place to live. Let me explain. Recently there have been a few admirable attempts at making our 'bedroom community' have a little more character - an independently owned coffee shop with live music, a magic shop (that died in 3 weeks), and independent book store which met its demise within a year. Even when these places were up, we still had our ultra depressing classic suburban roads - patches of grass between single buildings with ample parking space in front and of course inconsistently layed sidewalks - it was all quite disgusting. If I want to see a film, for instance, I have to drive 15 minutes to a secluded and gray field where the latest megaplex has been built. If I want a mom and pop diner, I have to drive out to East Lansing where the college is - as opposed to staying put and eating at yet another Applebees-esque chain.

My epiphany came this past weekend. I was visiting my family in a small town in the southeast corner of Iowa (Which I will say won recognition in 1964 as 'best quintessential American small town' by Life Magazine). Keosauqua may be small, but it is still a town, which is more than my suburb in Michigan can say. Keosauqua has a river running through it, an old bridge, a historical hotel on the waterfront, mom and pop restaurants which have been around for years, a city park, an independently owned gas station, old victorian houses etc... It is picturesque and everybody waves at you, regardless if they know you or not.

Point being, despite Keosauqua or other small towns not having all the convienences or action of suburban life (conveniences I might say which live and die by the souless chain business), I'd much rather live somewhere 'genuine'. Believe it or not, but Keosauqua is a lot closer to a neighborhood in Brooklyn or even Manhattan than my dreary suburb.

I'm an extreme guy. Give me the little town in the midwest with history and pride or give me New York. But please, don't stick me in a subdivision where I have to get in my car to drive 5 minutes just to get a cup of coffee...at a 7-11.

And you guys?

Gulcrapek
September 4th, 2003, 05:48 PM
I shudder at the thought of living in what you described, and did long before today. I feel for you.

For me, it's urban and nothing else. I need to be able to walk to some amenities, and I need to be around lots of other people.

Kris
September 4th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Ditto. But what is this topic doing here?

YesIsaidYesIwillYes
September 4th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Man. There's now officially umpteen different Forums, how the hell do I know which one is proper?

Kris
September 4th, 2003, 08:55 PM
It belongs in Anything Goes, I guess. See this thread (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=1291) for indications.

billyblancoNYC
September 5th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Everyone here will agree with you. You need to move if you feel so strongly. I'd say go with NY. Aren't you coming here after grad school, or something?