PDA

View Full Version : Bay Ridge Photo Tour

ZippyTheChimp
September 7th, 2003, 01:39 AM
Simply, this neighborhood works. There's variety in the streetscape. The housing is of many types and economic levels. Retail is abundant. It's more racially diverse than a decade ago. The unhealthy boundary at Sunset Park seems to be gone.

There are 85 photos. Just go here:
http://www.pbase.com/zippythechimp/bay_ridge&page=1

I'll put in some commentary, but it's straightforward.

1: The view south at 3 Ave and Senator street. 3 Ave is one of the two all commercial/retail streets through the neighborhood. The Verrazano Narrows bridge cables can be seen over the horizon. The bridge is a constant presence.

2: Old wood frame house around the corner.

3: Rowhouses such as these on 67 St are located throughout the neighborhood, generally east of 3 Ave. Almost all have bowed or angled fronts.

4: This building is up the street at Ridge Blvd. The area
has many apartment buildings, all of which are 6 or 7 storeys.

5: There are several of these dead-end streets between 68 and 69 Sts.

6:Houses across Colonial Road from Owls Head Park.

7, 8, 9: 27 acre Owls Head Park sits on the top of the ridge. The eastern side of the park has been undergoing extensive renovations. The brick and iron wall along Colonial Road was rebuilt, a skatepark and the playground in the photo were added. Dispite the fiscal woes, work continues this year – a new water park for children is almost complete.

10: View of lower Manhattan over the sewage treatment plant tanks. The plant isn’t that close – lens compression.

11: Small apartment building diagonally across from the park.

12. South from the park on Narrows Ave.

14: 69 St (or Bay Ridge Ave) is a major east-west street, going back to the days of the Staten Island ferry. Here, the small stores with apartments above were replaced by townhouses. I guess the roof feature was to emulate the preceeding photo.

15: Around the corner on Shore Road. I think this condo was part of the same development. The worst thing I saw in the entire neighborhood. The green contrasty A/C vents are a nice touch.

16: This was the location of the Brooklyn-Staten Island Ferry terminal, which closed one day after the bridge opened in 1964. The bikeway/esplanade begins to the left. The pier is a great spot to cool off. It’s always breezy and the views are great. A popular fishing spot.

18, 19: The Narrows Botanical Garden is at 70 st between Shore Rd and the Belt Parkway. It’s small (4 acres) but nice.

20-26: Views from the esplanade and the pedestrian bridges. If that pilot had any balls, he would have gone under the bridge, and I would have a great shot.

29: 4 Ave is the widest north-south street, and the main traffic street through the neighborhood. There are some retail areas, such as 86 st, schools and other institutions; but mostly residential – primarily apartment buildings.

30: Methodist Church. The gray material at the top of the tower is weathered plywood sheeting. Looks like the top was going to blow out.

32: Brick rowhouses on Bay Ridge Parkway, a major east-west street.

34, 35: West of 5 Ave the houses are more expensive, the brick replaced by limestone.

36, 37: Back on 4 Ave, another gem.

41: I’ve gone by here countless times, and never noticed this building – but it was always in a car.

44: West toward the bay, the neighborhood becomes more affluent. Houses sit above the streets on hills, and garages are common. The area around Fort Hamilton high school is the most affluent in Bay Ridge. In the 1890s the school land (1 x 2 blocks) was the site of the Crescent Athletic Club. Rich Manhattan families came here by ferry and built vacation homes. Narrows Ave is blocked by the high school, so there is very little traffic. The area has a suburban character, but 3 Ave is only 3 blocks away.

48: Shore Road follows the ridge line above Shore Road Park.

54, 55, 56: Just north of the high school is one of two surviving country homes. The Howard & Jesse Jones House. Locals call it the “gingerbread house.” Built in 1916, Its landmarked and privately owned. Arts and Crafts run amok.

57: Wealth does not mean good taste. Can you count the urn planters? An equal number on the other side. There is a bronze classical Greek statue in the center of that gazebo structure.

59: 86 St is a wide east-west street that is residential at the western end, but at 3 Ave to 7 Ave, is heavily retail. Sorry, no pictures – ran out of “film.”
Many Indian and Muslim people seem to have moved here.

61: This site is across the street from the preceding photo. I’ve seen this in other places, like Neponsit. Someone buys up 3 or 4 plots, and puts up a look-at-me monstrosity.

62: South of 87 St, Shore Rd is all apartment buildings.

71: A big problem in the area is access to the great waterfront. In a two mile stretch, there are only 2 pedestrian bridges. Also, in some places, the ridge drops steeply to the edge of the highway, making that land unusable. As a consequence, while the esplanade is popular with runners and bikers, it is little used by most residents.

One of the Gowanus Expwy rebuild alternatives directs all highway traffic at Ft Hamilton onto Rt 278, west onto the bridge, or east to the Gowanus. The Belt Parkway would be turned into parkland.

Info at DOT:
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/reg/r11/gowanus/13%20tunnel%20alternatives.html

Sorry the bridge isn't looking its best - 40 year scheduled maintenance. Ironic how the neighborhood fought the bridge - there were stories that it would destroy TV reception for all of southern Brooklyn. Now it's a friendly icon.

billyblancoNYC
September 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
Great shots. Amazing housing stock - super varied. I was around here Fri. night. 3rd ave was really very nice... it was jumpin'. It gets too little respect for what it seemed to offer.

Gulcrapek
September 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Thank you very much. I greatly enjoyed that.. some, if not most of those shots are beautiful.

By the way, I like the building in #15. It looks good from the Belt Parkway. The blank side isn't much, but hey.

fflint
September 7th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Are there affordable (for a student) areas of Bay Ridge, and how good is subway service there?

Gulcrapek
September 7th, 2003, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure there are affordable areas, as a whole the area is less expensive than the Brooklyn Heights vicinity and there should be some reasonable grabs. I don't think the F is too far away (maybe a short bus ride) and the W goes by there, I think. Not sure though.

Kris
September 7th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Interesting neighborhood and photos.

There are longer suspension bridges now, but none exudes power the way this one does. It looks a bit stiff but is still a majestic span.

Your site is a treasure-trove, Zippy.

Edward
September 7th, 2003, 09:42 PM
Very nice, I especially like the image at 94th Street with Verrazano Bridge and "Do Not Enter" sign.

ZippyTheChimp
September 8th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Do you like the great composition, or could it be THIS? (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=309&highlight=enter)

Here's another:
http://www.pbase.com/image/21144818.jpg

TLOZ Link5
September 8th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Ahh, Brooklyn Heights. Was it really only 16 years ago that Tom Wolfe was writing off both it and Park Slope as "little Hong Kongs"?

Gulcrapek
September 8th, 2003, 05:26 PM
That's DUMBO, not Bk Heights.

TLOZ Link5
September 8th, 2003, 06:18 PM
I thought DUMBO was a part of Brooklyn Heights. Sorry, my mistake.

Gulcrapek
September 8th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Well, sort of. Sorry for snapping.

Now back to the wonderful Bay Ridge..

TLOZ Link5
September 8th, 2003, 06:41 PM
You snapped? I didn't notice, much less take offense.

Edward
September 9th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Do you like the great composition, or could it be THIS? (http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?t=309&highlight=enter)
I like the photo even without the sign, but you can't go wrong with having the sign in the picture :wink:

Merry
September 10th, 2003, 05:25 AM
Another excellent photo tour. Love those Art Deco apartment buildings and the Boston-like bow-fronted row houses. I've never really associated Brooklyn with Art Deco. Thanks Zippy.

Kris
September 10th, 2003, 08:53 AM
There's Art Deco in Queens and Staten Island too. The Bronx just has the most in the world (although the official Concourse district is smaller than Miami Beach's).

Merry
September 14th, 2003, 02:44 AM
Zippy, I forgot to ask before if you recall where that magnificent Art Deco "entryway" is. It didn't look like it, but I couldn't tell for sure if it belonged to any of the Art Deco apartment buildings you photographed.

ZippyTheChimp
September 14th, 2003, 07:22 AM
The entrance is at this building. (http://www.pbase.com/image/21046141.jpg)

Merry
September 14th, 2003, 08:54 AM
The entrance is at this building. (http://www.pbase.com/image/21046141.jpg)

Damn, I missed it completely. I was looking for the zigzag (chevron?) pattern on either side of the doorway, which is not easily discernible in the building photo, and not the arrow (chevron again?) shape (what is that above the door called?) above the doorway itself. Thank you, Zippy.

jeffk13057
September 24th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Loved the pics...lived at 91st and Shore Road for quite a while...if only I had a digital camera then.

JK

ZippyTheChimp
September 24th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Up this street?
If I'd known, I would have gotten a shot of your place.

http://www.pbase.com/image/20973756.jpg

jeffk13057
September 24th, 2003, 06:41 PM
hey zippy...

pretty funny. my building (or should I say, ex wife's building) is the one on the left.

You're making me feel nostalgic (well, sort of, if you know what I mean.) That was a great building. Could see the bridge, boats, and even the SOL in the wintertime.

Thanks...

JK

ZippyTheChimp
September 25th, 2003, 07:34 AM
That building is a medical clinic. So it's a converted residence?
Unless....I won't go there. :wink:

The views are great from Shore Rd. I remember an incident (at least a decade ago) where an owner of one of those expensive houses on Shore Rd was upset that the trees in the park partially blocked his view. So he cut down about a dozen. He was prosecuted, and fined some huge amount, like $10,000 per tree.

billyblancoNYC
September 25th, 2003, 08:54 AM
SOL?

jeffk13057
September 25th, 2003, 06:33 PM
Statue Of Liberty

JK

jeffk13057
September 26th, 2003, 07:24 AM
I said left, but I meant my building was on the right...sorry for the confusion

JK

billyblancoNYC
September 26th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Statue Of Liberty

JK

Sorry, thanks.

Kris
November 18th, 2003, 06:13 PM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
PR- 329-03
November 18, 2003

MAYOR MICHAEL R. BLOOMBERG ANNOUNCES COMPLETION OF $17 MILLION OVERHAUL OF FIFTH AVENUE IN BAY RIDGE

Mile and a Half Stretch of Fifth Avenue Built Ahead of Original Schedule, On Budget and With Minimal Inconvenience

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, Department of Design and Construction (DDC) Acting Commissioner Anne Papageorge, Department of Transportation (DOT) Commissioner Iris Weinshall, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, State Senator Marty Golden and community leaders announced the successful completion of a two-year project that completely rebuilt a 30-block, mile and a half stretch of Fifth Avenue in Bay Ridge Brooklyn. The $17 million, one and a half-mile capital project stretches through the heart of Bay Ridge was finished ahead of schedule and on budget.

Work included the removal of long-buried trolley tracks and installation of new sidewalks and curbs, benches and litter receptacles, old-fashioned street light poles, new traffic signals, water mains, rehabilitation of some sewers and new roadbed and asphalt. The project runs from 66th Street and 5th Avenue to 94th Street and continues onto Fourth Avenue to Marine Avenue. The project was managed by the Department of Design and Construction.

"This beautiful new thoroughfare is a terrific holiday gift for the people of South Brooklyn. Major road reconstruction usually causes a tremendous amount of upheaval and inconvenience for local residents," said Mayor Bloomberg. "But it doesn't have to be this way. My administration is committed to finding ways that are more consumer and community friendly and this project demonstrates that when we work together, our common objectives can be achieved. This project had the potential to severely disrupt one of New York's premiere shopping districts, but because of the work of the local elected officials and the DDC and DOT we have a revitalized 5th avenue that was done ahead of the original schedule and on budget."

"I commend the City of New York for their interest in seeing the greatness that is 5th Avenue Bay Ridge undergo enhancements, beautification and modifications," said Senator Golden. "The City's work was diligent and on schedule. I applaud this community for their patience which has seen this important community business street rebuilt, an accomplishment that will allow this shopping district to continue to thrive. As the holidays approach, I invite all to come and see the new 5th Avenue."

"Fifth Avenue is one of Bay Ridge's and one of Brooklyn's most important commercial districts," said Borough President Markowitz. "Thanks to the hard work and commitment of the administration this project has been a model for successful community involvement. Brooklynites like to be consulted and they like the job done right. I know that the news of its early completion will be an early holiday gift to the thankful residents and businesses of Bay Ridge."

"The need for a comprehensive reconstruction of this important avenue was clear," said Commissiner Weihshall. "The coordination, cooperation, among city agencies, the business and residential communities, community leaders and elected officials made this a prime example of how successful projects are done."

"This priority project was placed on a very aggressive yet achievable time table," said Acting Commissioner Anne Papageorge "What you see and appreciate is the physical improvement of Fifth Avenue, the contribution of many professionals. What is not visible is the intense amount of planning and preparation that was vital to the prompt return of this street to full use by residents, motorists, shoppers and businesses."

Key elements to the project were planning and community consultation. More than two years before the project started in 2002 coordination meetings among City agencies and private utilities were held as well as reports to the local community board, elected officials and business leaders about the scope of work and projected scheduling were issued. This project originally was seen as taking three years to complete - about 10 blocks per year.

However, a new schedule was devised where ten-block sections at both ends of the project were done last year, with the middle segment being done in 2003, thus eliminating a year from the schedule and reducing the adverse impact on the community. The community's commitment to this project led them to obtain an additional $1.3 million grant from the Federal Government for additional beautification. The Department of Environmental Protection provided substantial funding for the project.

Edward Skyler / Jordan Barowitz
(212) 788-2958

Thomas Cocola (DOT)
(212) 442-7033

Matthew Monahan (DDC)
(718) 391-1641

www.nyc.gov

ZippyTheChimp
November 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Northern section of the project. Note the extended sidewalks, and the bench.
http://www.pbase.com/image/21045716.jpg

Kris
February 9th, 2004, 05:18 AM
Bay Ridge: Fighting the Fedders Houses (http://www.gothamgazette.com/community/43/majorissues/85)

Gulcrapek
February 9th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Keeping the avenues to 8 and sides to 3 seems appropriate in most of Bay Ridge. I'm sure there are a few areas that could support more though.

And you will rarely find a new 3 story residential building in Brooklyn with even decent architecture.

Kris
May 16th, 2004, 03:56 PM
May 16, 2004

BAY RIDGE

. . . And Wondering if a Bike Lane Has Any Room Left for Bikes

By JAKE MOONEY

What happened one balmy evening last week on Shore Road in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, was typical.

First, a man double-parked his S.U.V. in the bike lane and got out to gaze at the water. Soon, a station wagon pulled up and idled behind him. Then a cyclist pedaled by, but had to swerve into the middle of the road to pass the two vehicles, causing a line of waiting cars to grow up behind her.

So it goes on the thoroughfare that runs past the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge, where the curbs are lined with parked cars, the side streets are dotted with garages, and room to travel is scarce. But now, Community Board 10 has proposed a cure for the crowding: get rid of the bike lane.

Responding to residents' complaints that the lane forces cars and bicycles too close together on the winding road, the board has asked the city's Department of Transportation to remove the five-foot-wide southbound lane, which was completed just a year ago.

"A lot of these bike guys, they go really fast," Craig A. Eaton, the board chairman, said. "People were concerned not only with the bikes' creating obstacles and hazards for pedestrians, but with the bikes' creating obstacles and hazards for vehicles."

But while the city has yet to take official action on the request, Tom Cocola, a spokesman for the Transportation Department, said the lane wasn't going anywhere.

"The community had been complaining about speeding in this area, and we thought narrowing the lane and buffering it with a bike lane would slow down those speeds," Mr. Cocola said, adding that the city had made adjustments to make the lane safer. "We like that bike lane. We like it a lot."

Besides, the lane is part of a boroughwide network of cycling routes.

"You can't create a bike network in the city by drawing boundaries and stopping at those," said Noah Budnick, a spokesman for Transportation Alternatives, a bicycle advocacy group. "It's very important to have connections, not just isolated bike lanes but actual transportation routes."

Even if the city is protective of the bike lane, the fierce competition for space on Shore Road may blunt its purpose. The other day, the bike lane saw visits from a dog walker, a few joggers and several city buses. And of course, the double-parkers.

"The Department of Transportation will say we shouldn't double-park," said Josephine Beckman, district manager of Community Board 10. "But in Bay Ridge, it happens."

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

gasFace
August 17th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Some Great Old Bay Ridge Pictures here

http://bayridgetalk.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=323&page=1
(http://bayridgetalk.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=323&page=2#Item_34)

Strattonport
August 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I find the comments of those board members hilarious. You know very well fast-speeding and double-parking cars pose much more of a problem than bikes ever will.

One of them even shrugs off the double-parking part, even though it's illegal. How about asking the police to better enforce the bike lane instead of letting all of this stuff run amuk?

mariab
June 23rd, 2011, 03:54 PM
The faded glory of Bay Ridge: A beautiful Victorian mansion left to decay
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/net/20110623/capt.7fe2559e3b6cbe4e3672b447f9fc27c8.jpeg?x=213&y=159&xc=1&yc=1&wc=410&hc=306&q=85&sig=_lIYHLtB0YUZA8N3o06BPA-- (http://wirednewyork.com/nphotos/Bay-Ridge-Victorian-mansion-ruins-Photo-courtesy-Maria-Moyser/photo//ydownload/20110623/photos_net_web_yn/1308850854//s:/ac/20110614/us_ac/8576141_the_faded_glory_of_bay_ridge_a_beautiful_v ictorian_mansion_left_to_decay)News – Bay Ridge Victorian mansion in ruins. (Photo courtesy of Maria Moyser)

Lance Martin (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ac/us_ac/byline/8576141_the_faded_glory_of_bay_ridge_a_beautiful_v ictorian_mansion_left_to_decay/41861755/*http://contributor.yahoo.com/user/770338/lance_martin.html) Lance Martin – Tue Jun 14, 7:06 pm ET

Bay Ridge residents who have passed by 245 83rd St. have no doubt noticed the once-beautiful Victorian home that has since become derelict. With its turret and front porch columns, it is clear that the now graffiti-covered house with broken-out windows long ago looked grand and elegant. Though its run-down appearance would not suggest it, the house was purchased for the rather steep price of $985,000 on March 15, 2007, by Gamal T. Hasan, owner of several other properties in Brooklyn. Previously, it was owned by Virginia G. Mitchell until she passed away.
Since Hasan purchased the house, three permits have been approved (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ac/us_ac/storytext/8576141_the_faded_glory_of_bay_ridge_a_beautiful_v ictorian_mansion_left_to_decay/41861755/SIG=11n545evv/*http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/Scripts/Coverpage.dll/index) to work on the house, all filed in 2007. Though originally an architect filed to remodel the house by extending it horizontally in the front and rear, as well as working on the plumbing and partitions for an estimated cost of $100,000 on March 21, 2007, later on July 13, 2007, another application was filed to demolish the house completely. The demolition application was approved on January 28, 2008, but clearly has not taken place. Another permit approved on September 7, 2007, enabled temporary installation of a wooden fence - the one construction job that has been completed.
According to a complaint registered with the New York City Department of Buildings (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ac/us_ac/storytext/8576141_the_faded_glory_of_bay_ridge_a_beautiful_v ictorian_mansion_left_to_decay/41861755/SIG=14jnpt47o/*http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/PropertyProfileOverviewServlet?boro=3&houseno=245&street=83rd+st&requestid=0&s=A03C41B885B461E4F46BD08866A7430E), it was not until shortly before May 20, 2009, that the windows were removed from the house and teenagers began entering the property. Since May 20, 2009, the Department of Buildings has received multiple calls from people complaining about holes in the fence and children and teenagers trespassing on the property. The Department of Buildings received the most recent complaint almost two months ago on April 27, 2011.
That this 100-year-old house has been allowed to go to ruin and is slated for destruction is truly a shame. Despite its utter dilapidation, passersby often stop and stare, captivated no doubt by the glimpse through a window into Bay Ridge history. Why its current owner would purchase such a beautiful and intriguing piece of history for such a large sum and then apparently abandon it is unfathomable. If only a nostalgic and historically minded philanthropist with a love for Bay Ridge would purchase this lovely old house and return it to its former magnificence, all of Bay Ridge would benefit.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110614/us_ac/8576141_the_faded_glory_of_bay_ridge_a_beautiful_v ictorian_mansion_left_to_decay?bouchon=501,ny